• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP or INTP?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
While I am unsure of my type in general, for the sake of getting somewhere I will narrow things down to my two most common results (INTP and INFP).

I have major problems agreeing fully with either type and even on tests the difference between the two is usually slim... Ex.View attachment 6992
3% infp over intp...

Well anyways, some info...

My feelings often are a major part of my decision making process. Although in the past I have led myself to believe that this was not the case...(Back then I consistently scored INTP on the tests) However when I try to make a decision on a solely logical basis I usually end up doubting my decision and changing it often, but when I make a decision on an emotional basis the decision seems more likely to stick. In addition, I hate mind games, which it seems like most INTPs love. Oh, and math makes my head hurt :) calculus is killing me...

My problem with INFP however is that in all of the descriptions it seems like to be an INFP you have to be a caring person who loves fluffy bunnies and wouldn't hurt anyone or some other crap like that (Sometimes I desperately want to hurt certain people(but I don't...) Heh-heh)... The stuff about bunnies is a hyperbole of course, but that's what it seems like sometimes when I read through...

While I treat those close to me in a way consistent with the INFP description. (Gets upset when they do, would do anything to make them happy, happy when they are happy, etc.) I can be extremely cold to those I don't trust or like. And in general I can be a pretty cynical person too... Which doesn't seem to go along with most descriptions of the INFP.

Well, I doubt that I provided enough info to really type me, so if any info would be helpful ask for clarification, I really don't know what I need to put here...

Also, I don't know all that much about the MBTI so if somehow I pointed towards a type besides the two listed feel free to indicate that I may fall into that as well... *Shrugs and rolls eyes*

EDIT: Actually I have come across a fake type which people call the "Broken INFP" which consists of an INFP who has turned their back on their feelings somewhat and become cold, which kind of describes me most of the time. Also I read somewhere that reluctance to fall into a type is characteristic of INFP... Don't know if that's true though. Also, I won't deny that I have, uhhh, lets just say... "psychiatric diagnoses" ... that complicate the issue, so good luck if you are going to try to type me. :D

Last edited:

Silveresque

Well, I'm not sure how much I can help since I can't seem to figure out my own type, but you seem more INFP than me. I don't trust my feelings for making decisions and prefer to detach and analyze. I don't think being cynical contradicts INFP. Anyone can be cynical, that has nothing to do with type. And I don't think you have to like fluffy bunnies to be an INFP. :p

I would say based on this you could be INFP, though more information is needed. How good are you at reading people? How do you decide what is ethical?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would say based on this you could be INFP, though more information is needed. How good are you at reading people? How do you decide what is ethical?

Uhhh, It is kind of context specific for the first question. The people I am around a lot I can generally tell what they are feeling or thinking just by a look at their face which leads to situations where I creep myself out by predicting what they are about to say before they say it heh-heh. However, people I don't know well I tend to be pretty ignorant of (This may be more due to apathy than inability though). Ethics? Hah, well, I have certain lines I won't cross, but I'm not really sure. I don't really think about it, it just comes to me.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFP, probably Enneagram 5w4

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'd say INFP :)

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just don't understand why I am getting so many people saying INFP when I seem to get INTP on quizzes just as often as INFP. *Sigh* I wish the MBTI quizzes were less based on how you see yourself I guess.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
You will find a lot of INFPs who will say that the common INFP description (or the way other people view us) are describing us in an exaggerated fluffy / mushy way, so don't take those descriptions too seriously maybe. MBTI is more about the thought processes and their input, less about the output I would say. So even though some people may share the same type, this type can manifest itself very differently still, although there may be some tendencies and often common traits that people might still share. Those form some stereotypes, and not all have to apply to everyone.

I myself am pretty sure about my type and I can see myself a bit in what you wrote in your first post. Actually this was very much how I used to feel in some phase of my life. Before I got to MBTI, I would never have viewed me as a feeling person, because outside I don't / didn't usually show a lot of emotion (in the common understanding way of the word feeling). After I got a bit into MBTI, it started to make sense to me that I am an F type, by looking at how I do my decisions often which are very often determined by my values in the way introverted Feeling (Fi) gets described.

So what I really want to say is, it takes some time to really get into what MBTI, the terms, and the types really actually mean and understand how that might explain your own person, and that I wouldn't rule out the type INFP because of some too mushy descriptions. You will also understand yourself better in that process maybe, at least I feel I did about myself (and still do).

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Tyrinth, why is it important to you that you figure out conclusively if you're a T or an F?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Tyrinth, why is it important to you that you figure out conclusively if you're a T or an F?

An interesting question. I suppose part of the reason is that as I figure out my type I have noticed it helps me figure out myself. I lie to myself a lot, almost to the point where I would say I hold delusional beliefs about myself, and I find that when I tear down those lies I feel better about myself. *Shrugs* I'm no psychiatrist, however this is what I have gathered through introspection. It's not so much the type as an end, but as a means to an end, so to speak anyways.