User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type am I?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • INFP

    11 50.00%
  • ISFP

    1 4.55%
  • INFJ

    0 0%
  • ISFJ

    2 9.09%
  • INTP

    7 31.82%
  • ISTP

    0 0%
  • INTJ

    0 0%
  • ISTJ

    1 4.55%
First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 113

  1. #61
    Senior Member Silveresque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    I am watching you... can't change until AFTER Christmas. December 26.
    No problem, I can wait.



    What about my enneatype? I'm allowed to change that, right? Since I haven't completely decided yet...

  2. #62
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    You get a pass for the enneagram. lol

  3. #63
    Senior Member Silveresque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,280

    Default

    Yay!

  4. #64
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    A lot of people can't relate to the INFP descriptions because they seem all too soft and fluffy. They make INFPs sound like high-minded creatures who wander around the world in
    blessed bliss and dream about making the world a better place. That's not true at all!

    Since the profiles obviously fall short, I'll give my (pretty subjective) impression of the types:

    INFPs tend to be:
    - gentle, kind and extremely sensitive
    - interested in aesthetics, the abstract, theories
    - sensitive to how other people are feeling, and can most of the time sense a good or bad vibe but might not know how to deal with those feelings
    - sympathetic to the 'underdog'
    - sometimes moody and just want to be left alone
    - sometimes perceived as 'aloof', 'moody', 'unfriendly' by strangers

    INTPs tend to be:
    - very analytical and critical of things that are 'stupid'/'pointless'
    - interested in many things and pursue many interests, but mostly just for the sake of knowing and not putting it to use in real life
    - rather defensive when their ideas are attacked
    - sometimes oblivious to how other people are feeling, and usually don't feel personally bothered by other people's negative emotions (except perhaps think they are annoying)
    - sometimes perceived as 'cynical' and 'uncaring' (but in the shruggy 'flippant' way, not the 'cold and heartless' way) by strangers

    Of course, it doesn't mean that the characteristics of each type are mutually exclusive. It doesn't mean an INFP cannot be analytical, or an INTP cannot be sensitive. These are just the overall impression I get from each type. INFPs and INTPs, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

    Of course, your Enneagram type also affects your personality. INFP 5s are generally more academic and tend to identify strongly with the Thinking preference. INTP 9s are more gentle and in harmony with their environment and are less confrontational.
    Don't mean to hijack this thread, this is about Revlis's type and not mine but just wanted to put in my two cents here since I'm also struggling with the T/F part. I think more people suggest that I'm INTP but I know there's a few on the forum who have thought INFP is a better fit (and a few who think neither).

    I identify alot with both of the above descriptions. Even the part about wanting to make the world a better place although I don't think that's exclusive to INFP! I'm not sure how friendly I appear to others. I think I do come across as reserved and maybe somewhat aloof to others but I don't know about unfriendly. At least I try not to appear that way to others. I'm sensitive yes, but I don't know about being *extremely* so. That's a strong word.

    For the INTP description, I don't relate to the part about not personally being bothered by others' negative emotions. Others negative emotions bother me alot and can be hard to tune out. I'm almost never perceived as cynical or uncaring either. At least I try hard not to come across that way. Everything else under INTP fits me very well.

    I am very close on 5/9 so that could be a problem. I relate a lot to both types. If I'm INFP, I'm more 5ish than average. If I'm INTP, I'm more 9ish than average.

    Since this thread is about RevlisZero's type, I do think she's most likely an INFP.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  5. #65
    Senior Member Silveresque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Don't mean to hijack this thread, this is about Revlis's type and not mine but just wanted to put in my two cents here since I'm also struggling with the T/F part. I think more people suggest that I'm INTP but I know there's a few on the forum who have thought INFP is a better fit (and a few who think neither).

    I identify alot with both of the above descriptions. Even the part about wanting to make the world a better place although I don't think that's exclusive to INFP! I'm not sure how friendly I appear to others. I think I do come across as reserved and maybe somewhat aloof to others but I don't know about unfriendly. At least I try not to appear that way to others. I'm sensitive yes, but I don't know about being *extremely* so. That's a strong word.

    For the INTP description, I don't relate to the part about not personally being bothered by others' negative emotions. Others negative emotions bother me alot and can be hard to tune out. I'm almost never perceived as cynical or uncaring either. At least I try hard not to come across that way. Everything else under INTP fits me very well.

    I am very close on 5/9 so that could be a problem. I relate a lot to both types. If I'm INFP, I'm more 5ish than average. If I'm INTP, I'm more 9ish than average.

    Since this thread is about RevlisZero's type, I do think she's most likely an INFP.
    Hey, same here! We seem very similar type-wise, though I think you're a bit more T than I am.

  6. #66
    Senior Member animenagai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    Alright, so this is how I see your problem:

    1. You're focusing too much on the details/common explanations of the functions, rather than really understanding what the functions are at the heart.

    2. In a similar way, you're not looking into yourself and identifying your CORE traits. Yeah, we all use these functions sometimes but there's a difference in frequency.

    For example, I do the same routine every day too, but there's no way in hell I'm a strong Si user. To me Si, like Ni is evaluative. It understands the world through categorising everything, often into norms and traditions. I do the same thing again and again because it's comfortable and I get enough change and stimulation within my own comfort zone. It may look Si, but it's not. The motivations are different. You seem the same way to me. Thy only Si-looking thing you do is do the same thing over and over again, you don't identify with the other traits. Why would Si be a top function for you then? It just seems like you're making too much out of an unreliable test score.

    To illustrate the same point with another function, just because you like depth over width does not mean you don't use Ne. Here's how Ne works, I interact with something and automatically, my mind thinks about things loosely related to it. For example, I look at a kimono and I think about a temple I've visited in Japan, which then makes me think about the sakura that was there, then I think of an anime character called 'Sakura'... and so on.

    This is a very casual example of Ne, here's a more intellectual one: someone reads about the theoretical structure of possible worlds and notices that it shares a lot of similarities with the structure a 4 dimensionalist theory of time. They notice that this parallel is not perfect however because one theory is widely accepted when the other is not, so they start looking out for differences. Maybe it's because we don't experience possible worlds, but we experience the past. However we realise that mere experience should not justify or falsify a theory on possibility, so that can't be it (I'm making arguments up on the fly lol, it's just an example anyway). Anyways, the point is that we're jumping from one idea to another through inductive means, in both cases. That's the core of Ne.

    Ni on the other hand, as I understand it, works like this: the Ni user is faced with a problem. As soon as the problem is asked, she as an idea of what the answer has to be, given the nature and the context of the question. Let me try and explain this through analogy. We're doing a jig-saw puzzle and there's a specific piece we need to find. We know what the pieces around it look like, so we know vaguely what sort of colours and patterns this piece has, we also know what shape the left side of the piece is, because we have the piece to the left of it. We dig our way through the remaining pieces, hoping to find one with these qualities, and in the process, a lot of pieces are rejected because they don't meet the criteria. When we finally get to that piece, we don't get a sense of surprise, because we knew all along what that piece had to look like. The answer was there all along, we just needed to find it. Ni always has a function. There's a point to the answer and a context in which the answer has to fit in.

    Phew, OK. So when someone says that Ne is wide and Ni is deep, that's quite a loose way of speaking, really. As an Ne user, I can get very, very deep into a question, I'm just doing it in a different way to the Ni user. I am constantly entertaining new possible solutions and at the same time, I'm entertaining possible counterarguments to these solutions, screening some of them out. Ni users can also be motivated to engage in a whole bunch of different things. Is it true that Ne users have width whereas Ni users have depth? Well, maybe if we used our functions in a very simple sense. It's definitely true that I can jump all over the place, covering a million ideas in one sweep. However, it is certainly not necessarily true. Therefore, when you're asking yourself if you use Ne, you can't just reject the idea because you prefer depth to width.

    Here's the moral of the story - some functions can look like other ones from a behaviorist POV, but they're not the same thing. Furthermore, the same function can look different in different people or in different situations, but it's still the same function. You need to really look deeper into the functions and ask which one of them you use CONSTANTLY. I for example, can never turn Ne off, to the point that it actually affects my sleep. It's ideas bouncing off each other 24 hours a day. Looking at your functions thoroughly should be a much better indication of your type than an explanation on some website. Someone here said that INTP's don't like revisiting questions for example, but I disagree with that. I think a lot of them may do this, but I don't see how it's Ti + Ne. IMO anyway it's more likely that many INTP's are a certain enneagram type for example and that explains this behavior.

    I know I ranted a lot, but let me make one last point. The one constant trait I see from you is doubt, and a willingness to revisit problems. I think being enneagram 6-9-something definitely explains that. The 6 brings the doubt, the 9 brings the openness. I don't see why you couldn't be an INTP with this enneagram type. You would look different from a lot of other INTP's, but your core motivations (specific to the INTP anyway) will be the same.

    IMO, your biggest sign should be Ti + Fe. This is a combination that some other posters have picked up from your own descriptions and I agree with them. Ne Ti Fe would make you an ENTP though, which isn't even on your list lol. I dunno, work with the functions.

    Just food for thought. Hope I helped.

    PS. I wrote a fucking essay 0.o I never do this on forums lol.
    Chimera of Filth

    A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

  7. #67
    Senior Member Silveresque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    Alright, so this is how I see your problem:

    1. You're focusing too much on the details/common explanations of the functions, rather than really understanding what the functions are at the heart.

    2. In a similar way, you're not looking into yourself and identifying your CORE traits. Yeah, we all use these functions sometimes but there's a difference in frequency.

    For example, I do the same routine every day too, but there's no way in hell I'm a strong Si user. To me Si, like Ni is evaluative. It understands the world through categorising everything, often into norms and traditions. I do the same thing again and again because it's comfortable and I get enough change and stimulation within my own comfort zone. It may look Si, but it's not. The motivations are different. You seem the same way to me. Thy only Si-looking thing you do is do the same thing over and over again, you don't identify with the other traits. Why would Si be a top function for you then? It just seems like you're making too much out of an unreliable test score.

    To illustrate the same point with another function, just because you like depth over width does not mean you don't use Ne. Here's how Ne works, I interact with something and automatically, my mind thinks about things loosely related to it. For example, I look at a kimono and I think about a temple I've visited in Japan, which then makes me think about the sakura that was there, then I think of an anime character called 'Sakura'... and so on.
    Um...I see a kimono and think it's pretty. :P It might remind me of an anime character, if it looks similar enough to a kimono that character wears. But generally, "ooh, pretty!" would be my more natural response. And then it might make me think about how I would like to go Japan someday, which would then make me think about how my brother recently went to Germany, and then I realize that has nothing to do with Japan or kimonos, so I go back to thinking about Japan, and then I get bored and start playing a song in my head while thinking about typology. Of course, that's just one possible train of thought that could result. I think more commonly I would just make a brief note of how the kimono looks and then go back to whatever I was already thinking about before I saw the kimono.

    Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    This is a very casual example of Ne, here's a more intellectual one: someone reads about the theoretical structure of possible worlds and notices that it shares a lot of similarities with the structure a 4 dimensionalist theory of time. They notice that this parallel is not perfect however because one theory is widely accepted when the other is not, so they start looking out for differences. Maybe it's because we don't experience possible worlds, but we experience the past. However we realise that mere experience should not justify or falsify a theory on possibility, so that can't be it (I'm making arguments up on the fly lol, it's just an example anyway). Anyways, the point is that we're jumping from one idea to another through inductive means, in both cases. That's the core of Ne.
    That sounds...complicated. I'm not sure how much I can relate to that way of thinking, to be honest.

    Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    Ni on the other hand, as I understand it, works like this: the Ni user is faced with a problem. As soon as the problem is asked, she as an idea of what the answer has to be, given the nature and the context of the question. Let me try and explain this through analogy. We're doing a jig-saw puzzle and there's a specific piece we need to find. We know what the pieces around it look like, so we know vaguely what sort of colours and patterns this piece has, we also know what shape the left side of the piece is, because we have the piece to the left of it. We dig our way through the remaining pieces, hoping to find one with these qualities, and in the process, a lot of pieces are rejected because they don't meet the criteria. When we finally get to that piece, we don't get a sense of surprise, because we knew all along what that piece had to look like. The answer was there all along, we just needed to find it. Ni always has a function. There's a point to the answer and a context in which the answer has to fit in.
    Hmm...I'll have to think about this one. Is it sort of like the tip-of-your-tongue phenomenon? Because I get that all the time. I guess I am sometimes aware of a certain connotation of an answer before I know the answer itself, like when I have an idea of what I want to say but can't think of how to put it into words.

    Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    Phew, OK. So when someone says that Ne is wide and Ni is deep, that's quite a loose way of speaking, really. As an Ne user, I can get very, very deep into a question, I'm just doing it in a different way to the Ni user. I am constantly entertaining new possible solutions and at the same time, I'm entertaining possible counterarguments to these solutions, screening some of them out. Ni users can also be motivated to engage in a whole bunch of different things. Is it true that Ne users have width whereas Ni users have depth? Well, maybe if we used our functions in a very simple sense. It's definitely true that I can jump all over the place, covering a million ideas in one sweep. However, it is certainly not necessarily true. Therefore, when you're asking yourself if you use Ne, you can't just reject the idea because you prefer depth to width.

    Here's the moral of the story - some functions can look like other ones from a behaviorist POV, but they're not the same thing. Furthermore, the same function can look different in different people or in different situations, but it's still the same function. You need to really look deeper into the functions and ask which one of them you use CONSTANTLY. I for example, can never turn Ne off, to the point that it actually affects my sleep. It's ideas bouncing off each other 24 hours a day. Looking at your functions thoroughly should be a much better indication of your type than an explanation on some website. Someone here said that INTP's don't like revisiting questions for example, but I disagree with that. I think a lot of them may do this, but I don't see how it's Ti + Ne. IMO anyway it's more likely that many INTP's are a certain enneagram type for example and that explains this behavior.
    That does sound like it should be the most accurate method. I'll try it, though I'm not sure how far I'll get with my limited understanding of the functions.

    This is really making me feel like an S type, because the whole time I find myself needing to think of concrete examples in order to understand the concepts and figure out whether I can relate. Or does everyone do this?

    Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    I know I ranted a lot, but let me make one last point. The one constant trait I see from you is doubt, and a willingness to revisit problems. I think being enneagram 6-9-something definitely explains that. The 6 brings the doubt, the 9 brings the openness. I don't see why you couldn't be an INTP with this enneagram type. You would look different from a lot of other INTP's, but your core motivations (specific to the INTP anyway) will be the same.

    IMO, your biggest sign should be Ti + Fe. This is a combination that some other posters have picked up from your own descriptions and I agree with them. Ne Ti Fe would make you an ENTP though, which isn't even on your list lol. I dunno, work with the functions.

    Just food for thought. Hope I helped.

    PS. I wrote a fucking essay 0.o I never do this on forums lol.
    Hmm...You've given me a lot to think about. I'll let you know what I decide. I appreciate your input!

  8. #68
    Senior Member animenagai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    Stuff


    Don't worry about the details, sorry if I OD'd in some paragraphs

    On Ne vs Ni, don't get caught up on my examples, the point is that Ne is very jumpy. I think of something, then I think about something else because of it, then it reminds me of something else. Ni on the other hand, isn't very jumpy. Furthermore, it's fun. Even if I don't come up with an answer, I enjoy jumping around mentally. They want to find the one right answer to any given question. It's like a journey to find the one destination. There's a very specific point to it.

    For example, say an Ne user and an Ni user are thinking about what they want for lunch.

    Ne: Hmmm maybe I'll have pork chops. Wait, what about pork chop sandwiches? Do I have to have pork though, what about steak? No, steak's too expensive... etc.

    Ni: I have a sore throat so I want something soupy. I also don't feel like red meat. Chicken soup it is.
    Chimera of Filth

    A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

  9. #69
    Senior Member Silveresque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post


    Don't worry about the details, sorry if I OD'd in some paragraphs

    On Ne vs Ni, don't get caught up on my examples, the point is that Ne is very jumpy. I think of something, then I think about something else because of it, then it reminds me of something else. Ni on the other hand, isn't very jumpy. Furthermore, it's fun. Even if I don't come up with an answer, I enjoy jumping around mentally. They want to find the one right answer to any given question. It's like a journey to find the one destination. There's a very specific point to it.

    For example, say an Ne user and an Ni user are thinking about what they want for lunch.

    Ne: Hmmm maybe I'll have pork chops. Wait, what about pork chop sandwiches? Do I have to have pork though, what about steak? No, steak's too expensive... etc.

    Ni: I have a sore throat so I want something soupy. I also don't feel like red meat. Chicken soup it is.
    I think relate more often to Ni. I don't see the need to think of a thousand different possibilities that I'm not going to do anything with. Though every once in a while I'll get jumpy like Ne I guess.

  10. #70
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    Si that doesn't fit me
    - Tradition & history
    - Mementos, photo albums, collections for memory
    - Good memory for detail
    - (Fi-Si) Analyze past experience to figure out what made me feel a certain way
    - Look at past experience to find solutions
    I'm going to say ISFJ enneagram 9. A lot of your objections to Si amounts to stereotypes.... Si is very idiosyncratic. Your inner world sounds "irrational", not "rational". You describe a lot of focusing on perceptions, not evaluative analysis. You wonder about stuff, you note things (about yourself & your situation), you review information, etc. The Feeling you describe sounds focused on interaction with others, not an inner world of ideals. A high level of introversion might mean your tert is pretty strong, which could give a Ti flavor to your thinking sometimes. When you describe your analysis, it sounds more Ti-ish, but you don't sound like a Ti-dom.

    It's also worth noting that ISFJs share the same interaction styles as IxFPs & INTPs.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Similar Threads

  1. What type do you think I am?
    By Curiosity in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-04-2011, 01:16 AM
  2. Another "What type do you think I am?" thread.
    By Matthew_Z in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 10-17-2009, 10:07 PM
  3. What type do you think I am?
    By BlackCat in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-30-2009, 01:45 AM
  4. Mondo's 960th Post: What Type Do You Think I Am?
    By Mondo in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-15-2008, 05:11 PM
  5. What Type Do You Think I Am?
    By Mondo in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 10:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO