0 0%
  • INTJ

0 0%
  • ISTJ

1 4.55%
First 45678 Last

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecTcelfeR View Post
    If we can't convince you then why ask?
    Maybe I need help convincing myself? I said you couldn't convince me, I didn't say you couldn't help me figure out my type...which could be essentially the same thing with different wording.

What I meant was that I do take into account people's opinions on what type they think I am, but I won't decide based on that alone. I still have to keep reading descriptions and researching the types to find out which one fits best...But if everyone says I'm INFP, I'll consider that as well. I hope this makes sense...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

A lot of people can't relate to the INFP descriptions because they seem all too soft and fluffy. They make INFPs sound like high-minded creatures who wander around the world in
    blessed bliss and dream about making the world a better place. That's not true at all!

Since the profiles obviously fall short, I'll give my (pretty subjective) impression of the types:

INFPs tend to be:
    - gentle, kind and extremely sensitive
    - interested in aesthetics, the abstract, theories
    - sensitive to how other people are feeling, and can most of the time sense a good or bad vibe but might not know how to deal with those feelings
    - sympathetic to the 'underdog'
    - sometimes moody and just want to be left alone
    - sometimes perceived as 'aloof', 'moody', 'unfriendly' by strangers

INTPs tend to be:
    - very analytical and critical of things that are 'stupid'/'pointless'
    - interested in many things and pursue many interests, but mostly just for the sake of knowing and not putting it to use in real life
    - rather defensive when their ideas are attacked
    - sometimes oblivious to how other people are feeling, and usually don't feel personally bothered by other people's negative emotions (except perhaps think they are annoying)
    - sometimes perceived as 'cynical' and 'uncaring' (but in the shruggy 'flippant' way, not the 'cold and heartless' way) by strangers

Of course, it doesn't mean that the characteristics of each type are mutually exclusive. It doesn't mean an INFP cannot be analytical, or an INTP cannot be sensitive. These are just the overall impression I get from each type. INFPs and INTPs, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

Of course, your Enneagram type also affects your personality. INFP 5s are generally more academic and tend to identify strongly with the Thinking preference. INTP 9s are more gentle and in harmony with their environment and are less confrontational.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    A lot of people can't relate to the INFP descriptions because they seem all too soft and fluffy. They make INFPs sound like high-minded creatures who wander around the world in
    blessed bliss and dream about making the world a better place. That's not true at all!

Since the profiles obviously fall short, I'll give my (pretty subjective) impression of the types:

INFPs tend to be:
    - gentle, kind and extremely sensitive
    - interested in aesthetics, the abstract, theories
    - sensitive to how other people are feeling, and can most of the time sense a good or bad vibe but might not know how to deal with those feelings
    - sympathetic to the 'underdog'
    - sometimes moody and just want to be left alone
    - sometimes perceived as 'aloof', 'moody', 'unfriendly' by strangers

INTPs tend to be:
    - very analytical and critical of things that are 'stupid'/'pointless'
    - interested in many things and pursue many interests, but mostly just for the sake of knowing and not putting it to use in real life
    - rather defensive when their ideas are attacked
    - sometimes oblivious to how other people are feeling, and usually don't feel personally bothered by other people's negative emotions (except perhaps think they are annoying)
    - sometimes perceived as 'cynical' and 'uncaring' (but in the shruggy 'flippant' way, not the 'cold and heartless' way) by strangers

Of course, it doesn't mean that the characteristics of each type are mutually exclusive. It doesn't mean an INFP cannot be analytical, or an INTP cannot be sensitive. These are just the overall impression I get from each type. INFPs and INTPs, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

Of course, your Enneagram type also affects your personality. INFP 5s are generally more academic and tend to identify strongly with the Thinking preference. INTP 9s are more gentle and in harmony with their environment and are less confrontational.
    By your definition, INFP fits much better. I'm always careful not to upset people or hurt anyone's feelings, and I almost never get defensive or critical.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    By your definition, INFP fits much better. I'm always careful not to upset people or hurt anyone's feelings, and I almost never get defensive or critical.
    Yeah, that's why I think you're more F than T. All the Thinkers I know will always defend their ideas even if it causes conflicts and are very capable of making snide remarks intended to be (sort of) humorous.

One more question:

If you get into a rather serious fight with someone you care about, do you

a) need some time alone to calm down, then once the bad feeling is over, you can continue to interact with that person without further bad feelings?
    b) try to address the problem immediately and talk about it until you both understand each other better?
    c) need some time alone to process things, then approach the person to talk to them about how you felt about the situation?
    d) wait to see how the other person reacts (if they are still mad, etc.) and take it from there?
    e) try to think about who is right and who is wrong and what the main cause of the conflict was?

You can select more than one option and/or give the degree of agreement to each approach. You can also write up your own answer

(This probably won't give you any concrete answer, but it might help to type you better if we know how you like to resolve conflicts)
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Yeah, that's why I think you're more F than T. All the Thinkers I know will always defend their ideas even if it causes conflicts and are very capable of making snide remarks intended to be (sort of) humorous.

One more question:

If you get into a rather serious fight with someone you care about, do you

a) need some time alone to calm down, then once the bad feeling is over, you can continue to interact with that person without further bad feelings?
    b) try to address the problem immediately and talk about it until you both understand each other better?
    c) need some time alone to process things, then approach the person to talk to them about how you felt about the situation resolve the conflict?
    d) wait to see how the other person reacts (if they are still mad, etc.) and take it from there?
    e) try to think about who is right and who is wrong and what the main cause of the conflict was?

You can select more than one option and/or give the degree of agreement to each approach. You can also write up your own answer

(This probably won't give you any concrete answer, but it might help to type you better if we know how you like to resolve conflicts)
    Potentially all of them except d (and I had to revise c a bit). If I had to choose one, I'd probably go with a, though it's hard to know since I don't think I've ever actually been in a serious conflict with anyone other than my parents.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Potentially all of them except d (and I had to revise c a bit). If I had to choose one, I'd probably go with a, though it's hard to know since I don't think I've ever actually been in a serious conflict with anyone other than my parents.
    Then you can't really tell -- because there's that unbreakable parents-child bond that will make them deal with conflicts differently. Personally I'd go a) on my family, b) and then c) if it doesn't work on my SO, and for other people I don't bother to have conflicts with anyway.

But this just make you seem more of a 9
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Then you can't really tell -- because there's that unbreakable parents-child bond that will make them deal with conflicts differently. Personally I'd go a) on my family, b) and then c) if it doesn't work on my SO, and for other people I don't bother to have conflicts with anyway.

But this just makes you seem more of a 9
    4w5 sp/sx EII

But this just makes you seem more of a 9
    I started a thread on PersonalityCafe to figure out my enneatype. I'm still leaning strongly toward 5, but everyone else thinks I'm a 9. The thing is, judging by surface characteristics I'm much more like a 9, but the actual motivations for 9 don't seem to fit me at all, whereas the motivations for 5 fit me very well.

I've decided...I'm going with INFP. I'm getting tired of all this endless researching and never actually getting anywhere. I've been going in circles. And I'm probably so balanced on the T/F dichotomy that I could just choose my type anyways. And I choose Fi....so there. I've decided. Finally.

Now let's see how long I can actually stick with it...

Glycerine

I've decided...I'm going with INFP. I'm getting tired of all this endless researching and never actually getting anywhere. I've been going in circles. And I'm probably so balanced on the T/F dichotomy that I could just choose my type anyways. And I choose Fi....so there. I've decided. Finally.

Now let's see how long I can actually stick with it...
    I am watching you... can't change until AFTER Christmas. December 26.