• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type do you think I am?

What type am I?

• Total voters

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
Don't worry, I don't mind bluntness. :blush:

I haven't relied on the function tests any more than the regular mbti tests, which have proven to be just as inaccurate and unstable. I personally don't see any problem with taking these tests, since I'm not necessarily going to base my decision on them. Anyways, how would you suggest I approach it?

OK, because you say you don't mind the bluntness, I will go forth and unleash my thoughts: :)

In my opinion, your "It depends how I am in that moment" approach seems so incredibly subjective. Yes, the tests are unstable, but it's not like we should expect them to be flawless/definite anyway. We have to work with this. Basically, my point is that that YOU have to be stable in how you view yourself. To truly look at yourself from the 'outside' means to be able to recognise something consistent, I guess. Perhaps my choice of the word "rely" was inaccurate. But nevertheless, you're redoing those cognitive tests and posting your results for us to consider when typing you. In a sense, you're still using them and asking us to. It seems you're actually being quite dependent on the things you read online - one reason I think you have a lot of Te.

I noticed that when you shared your result in the other test (the one where we were required to choose/rank enneagram-based montages), you basically said, "I got la-di-da but meh, it could easily have been da-li-di or li-da-di."
Then when you do settle on a type, you come across a result or description that too easily makes you doubt your type again.
You're always doubting, but to me, it looks like aimless doubting - not very constructive. You keep going around in the same circles and unashamedly :)unsure:) repeating yourself so often...that I'm doubtful you're an INTP. Aside from self-understanding, what do you really want from typology?

In the "What have you learned about yourself?" thread, (damn, it must sound like I'm stalking you!) you expressed having learnt barely anything about yourself through all this MBTI-ing...and you feel like you know less about yourself than at the beginning.
You probably started out your MBTI journey with a good-enough idea of who you are. You do a test and get a result. Good. Better get a second opinion. You do another, and get a different result. Damn. This happens several times and you eventually decide on a type that sounds good-enough. But good-enough isn't good-enough. It doesn't explain all that you are. In fact, other types' descriptions also resonate with you. That can't be right. Only one should fit! You do a test you've done before, and it gives you a different result this time. Now what? Is it the test or is it you? Doesn't matter, you keep doing tests and reading descriptions. Yesterday, this paragraph sounded right. Next time, it doesn't. In about a month's time, it'll probably be something else.

I don't get exhausted from too much thinking or researching, but THAT, whatever it is, makes me exhausted. lol

Someone asked "What type do you want to be?" and you answered "The right type".
When it comes to typology, how is rightness or accuracy measured? Your MBTI type can only be as right as the theory allows anyway. Like I mentioned before, just treat it as such. No one type can or will explain everything about you. Therefore, if you're going to play the game, then play it - choose the one that most suits you. Maybe, at the end of the day, you're just taking this way too seriously...or you have a serious case of 9's lack of a sense of identity, or you need time away from MBTI to learn more about yourself...or all of the above.

As you know, I had trouble figuring out my type too so perhaps I shouldn't speak so matter-of-factly about all this.
And of course, feel free to tell me if you think I've been reading you wrong.

Silveresque

Yeah, I do seem to be wandering aimlessly in circles. But something I'm not sure if you understood is that the reason I keep having doubts about my type is that I don't think I have a good enough understanding of the types to decide which one is the best fit. That's why I keep researching even after I've chosen a type, which leads me to find some new information I didn't have before or see things in a new way that brings my type into question.

You say I'm dependent on the things I read online, but isn't taking tests and researching the types how you're supposed to figure out your type? Is there another way to do it? Just sitting around without actually gathering any information isn't going to help, and I don't feel ready to decide on a type right now, because I still can't tell which is the best fit. If I absolutely had to choose a type right now, I would go with INTP, since I identify most with INTP descriptions, but you and most others seem to think I'm an INFP, which makes me wonder why that is. If I am an INFP, then why don't the type descriptions fit me very well?

(By the way, this whole thing sounds kind of like the 5's fixation to me. I don't feel prepared to make a decision, so I keep gathering endless information. Hmm...I never thought of it that way before.)

G

Glycerine

I challenge you to settle on something for at least "a month" and if it still doesn't feel right, change it. You aren't giving yourself enough time to figure out whether or not something is a good fit. Curb the addiction.

Silveresque

I challenge you to settle on something for at least "a month" and if it still doesn't feel right, change it. You aren't giving yourself enough time to figure out whether or not something is a good fit. Curb the addiction.

But what if I change my mind before then? :unsure:

Ah, well, you're probably right. :p I'll try to stick with whatever type I decide on this time. :blush:

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, I do seem to be wandering aimlessly in circles. But something I'm not sure if you understood is that the reason I keep having doubts about my type is that I don't think I have a good enough understanding of the types to decide which one is the best fit. That's why I keep researching even after I've chosen a type, which leads me to find some new information I didn't have before or see things in a new way that brings my type into question.

You say I'm dependent on the things I read online, but isn't taking tests and researching the types how you're supposed to figure out your type? Is there another way to do it? Just sitting around without actually gathering any information isn't going to help, and I don't feel ready to decide on a type right now, because I still can't tell which is the best fit. If I absolutely had to choose a type right now, I would go with INTP, since I identify most with INTP descriptions, but you and most others seem to think I'm an INFP, which makes me wonder why that is. If I am an INFP, then why don't the type descriptions fit me very well?

(By the way, this whole thing sounds kind of like the 5's fixation to me. I don't feel prepared to make a decision, so I keep gathering endless information. Hmm...I never thought of it that way before.)

There is another way which involves forming some sort of stable system or view (of MBTI) in your mind. That requires research, of course, but usually, people take information and use it to eventually build some understanding they're happy with. At the moment, you seem like a blank slate privy to anything and everything you read.
I don't know if 5s are so flakey or susceptible to external influence.
To me, it's very 9ish.

But, whatever.
I agree with what Glycerine said about you not immersing yourself enough in any type you choose. Try her advice.
If you think you're a 5w4 INTP, then try sticking with it for at least a month.
(You don't have to stick with it forever. Depends how you feel by the end of that month).

Also, and I meant to write this is my previous post, maybe you could create an account at PersonalityCafe and hang around the different type forums. See how you fit in.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So basically, you're trying to figure out if RevlisZero is Ti-Fe or Fi-Te with those questions?

Basically yes.

I derive my ethical values through objective, impersonal analysis. I take others' feelings into account, but generally try to disregard my own for the sake of being objective. I think that my feelings alone are not sufficient justification, so I turn to logical analysis. If there is inconsistency in an ethical norm (eg. life is sacred and killing is bad, but it's okay to kill insects and spiders because we don't like them), then I'll try to adjust my beliefs and actions so that there is consistency (hence, I never intentionally kill insects or spiders).

Logical thinking is both internal and external. I'm not very good at logical deductions, I'm much better at inductive reasoning. Anyways, I usually start with research and information collecting, then when I don't think I can get much more information, I'll take a step back and try to fill in the missing pieces and look at the situation from different perspectives.

Sounds like Fe/Ti to me :yes:

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If I absolutely had to choose a type right now, I would go with INTP, since I identify most with INTP descriptions, but you and most others seem to think I'm an INFP, which makes me wonder why that is. If I am an INFP, then why don't the type descriptions fit me very well?

Other than that you seem warm in an F sort of way, I don't see why there are all the votes for INFP. INP yes, but you do not seem like an Fi type (yes I admit my T/F is negotiable but you at least seem less like an Fi type than I do :laugh: ). I wouldn't wait for the poll to look in the favor of what you think you are. There's always people on here who will think otherwise... and some of those will refuse to be convinced :tongue: If you do have some impression of what type you are, at least try it on for size ;)

Silveresque

What will it take to convince you either way?

You can't convince me. You can give your opinion and I'll take it into account, but ultimately I have to convince myself. And I really have to get it right this time because [MENTION=5109]Glycerine[/MENTION] challenged me to settle on a type for at least a month. :alttongue:

Anyways, I'm still thinking INTP seems to fit best, though ISFJ and ISFP are still possibilities. The problem with those two is that I have trouble seeing myself as a sensing type since I've always seen myself as a more abstract person. INFP isn't completely out of the running, but it seems less likely than the others because I consistently don't relate that well to the descriptions. I don't know...maybe I'm an INTP with weak N, T, and P preferences. :shrug:

Silveresque

If we can't convince you then why ask?

Maybe I need help convincing myself? :alttongue: I said you couldn't convince me, I didn't say you couldn't help me figure out my type...which could be essentially the same thing with different wording. :shrug: :laugh:

What I meant was that I do take into account people's opinions on what type they think I am, but I won't decide based on that alone. I still have to keep reading descriptions and researching the types to find out which one fits best...But if everyone says I'm INFP, I'll consider that as well. I hope this makes sense...

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
A lot of people can't relate to the INFP descriptions because they seem all too soft and fluffy. They make INFPs sound like high-minded creatures who wander around the world in
blessed bliss and dream about making the world a better place. That's not true at all!

Since the profiles obviously fall short, I'll give my (pretty subjective) impression of the types:

INFPs tend to be:
- gentle, kind and extremely sensitive
- interested in aesthetics, the abstract, theories
- sensitive to how other people are feeling, and can most of the time sense a good or bad vibe but might not know how to deal with those feelings
- sympathetic to the 'underdog'
- sometimes moody and just want to be left alone
- sometimes perceived as 'aloof', 'moody', 'unfriendly' by strangers

INTPs tend to be:
- very analytical and critical of things that are 'stupid'/'pointless'
- interested in many things and pursue many interests, but mostly just for the sake of knowing and not putting it to use in real life
- rather defensive when their ideas are attacked
- sometimes oblivious to how other people are feeling, and usually don't feel personally bothered by other people's negative emotions (except perhaps think they are annoying)
- sometimes perceived as 'cynical' and 'uncaring' (but in the shruggy 'flippant' way, not the 'cold and heartless' way) by strangers

Of course, it doesn't mean that the characteristics of each type are mutually exclusive. It doesn't mean an INFP cannot be analytical, or an INTP cannot be sensitive. These are just the overall impression I get from each type. INFPs and INTPs, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :blush:

Of course, your Enneagram type also affects your personality. INFP 5s are generally more academic and tend to identify strongly with the Thinking preference. INTP 9s are more gentle and in harmony with their environment and are less confrontational.

Silveresque

A lot of people can't relate to the INFP descriptions because they seem all too soft and fluffy. They make INFPs sound like high-minded creatures who wander around the world in
blessed bliss and dream about making the world a better place. That's not true at all!

Since the profiles obviously fall short, I'll give my (pretty subjective) impression of the types:

INFPs tend to be:
- gentle, kind and extremely sensitive
- interested in aesthetics, the abstract, theories
- sensitive to how other people are feeling, and can most of the time sense a good or bad vibe but might not know how to deal with those feelings
- sympathetic to the 'underdog'
- sometimes moody and just want to be left alone
- sometimes perceived as 'aloof', 'moody', 'unfriendly' by strangers

INTPs tend to be:
- very analytical and critical of things that are 'stupid'/'pointless'
- interested in many things and pursue many interests, but mostly just for the sake of knowing and not putting it to use in real life
- rather defensive when their ideas are attacked
- sometimes oblivious to how other people are feeling, and usually don't feel personally bothered by other people's negative emotions (except perhaps think they are annoying)
- sometimes perceived as 'cynical' and 'uncaring' (but in the shruggy 'flippant' way, not the 'cold and heartless' way) by strangers

Of course, it doesn't mean that the characteristics of each type are mutually exclusive. It doesn't mean an INFP cannot be analytical, or an INTP cannot be sensitive. These are just the overall impression I get from each type. INFPs and INTPs, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :blush:

Of course, your Enneagram type also affects your personality. INFP 5s are generally more academic and tend to identify strongly with the Thinking preference. INTP 9s are more gentle and in harmony with their environment and are less confrontational.

By your definition, INFP fits much better. I'm always careful not to upset people or hurt anyone's feelings, and I almost never get defensive or critical.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
By your definition, INFP fits much better. I'm always careful not to upset people or hurt anyone's feelings, and I almost never get defensive or critical.

Yeah, that's why I think you're more F than T. All the Thinkers I know will always defend their ideas even if it causes conflicts and are very capable of making snide remarks intended to be (sort of) humorous.

One more question:

If you get into a rather serious fight with someone you care about, do you

a) need some time alone to calm down, then once the bad feeling is over, you can continue to interact with that person without further bad feelings?
b) try to address the problem immediately and talk about it until you both understand each other better?
c) need some time alone to process things, then approach the person to talk to them about how you felt about the situation?
d) wait to see how the other person reacts (if they are still mad, etc.) and take it from there?
e) try to think about who is right and who is wrong and what the main cause of the conflict was?

You can select more than one option and/or give the degree of agreement to each approach. You can also write up your own answer :blush:

(This probably won't give you any concrete answer, but it might help to type you better if we know how you like to resolve conflicts)

Silveresque

Yeah, that's why I think you're more F than T. All the Thinkers I know will always defend their ideas even if it causes conflicts and are very capable of making snide remarks intended to be (sort of) humorous.

One more question:

If you get into a rather serious fight with someone you care about, do you

a) need some time alone to calm down, then once the bad feeling is over, you can continue to interact with that person without further bad feelings?
b) try to address the problem immediately and talk about it until you both understand each other better?
c) need some time alone to process things, then approach the person to talk to them about how you felt about the situation resolve the conflict?
d) wait to see how the other person reacts (if they are still mad, etc.) and take it from there?
e) try to think about who is right and who is wrong and what the main cause of the conflict was?

You can select more than one option and/or give the degree of agreement to each approach. You can also write up your own answer :blush:

(This probably won't give you any concrete answer, but it might help to type you better if we know how you like to resolve conflicts)

Potentially all of them except d (and I had to revise c a bit). If I had to choose one, I'd probably go with a, though it's hard to know since I don't think I've ever actually been in a serious conflict with anyone other than my parents.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Potentially all of them except d (and I had to revise c a bit). If I had to choose one, I'd probably go with a, though it's hard to know since I don't think I've ever actually been in a serious conflict with anyone other than my parents.

Then you can't really tell -- because there's that unbreakable parents-child bond that will make them deal with conflicts differently. Personally I'd go a) on my family, b) and then c) if it doesn't work on my SO, and for other people I don't bother to have conflicts with anyway.

But this just make you seem more of a 9 :wink:

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Then you can't really tell -- because there's that unbreakable parents-child bond that will make them deal with conflicts differently. Personally I'd go a) on my family, b) and then c) if it doesn't work on my SO, and for other people I don't bother to have conflicts with anyway.

But this just makes you seem more of a 9 :wink:

Silveresque

But this just makes you seem more of a 9 :wink:

I started a thread on PersonalityCafe to figure out my enneatype. I'm still leaning strongly toward 5, but everyone else thinks I'm a 9. :doh: The thing is, judging by surface characteristics I'm much more like a 9, but the actual motivations for 9 don't seem to fit me at all, whereas the motivations for 5 fit me very well.

Silveresque

I've decided...I'm going with INFP. I'm getting tired of all this endless researching and never actually getting anywhere. I've been going in circles. And I'm probably so balanced on the T/F dichotomy that I could just choose my type anyways. And I choose Fi....so there. I've decided. Finally.

Now let's see how long I can actually stick with it...:alttongue:

G

Glycerine

I've decided...I'm going with INFP. I'm getting tired of all this endless researching and never actually getting anywhere. I've been going in circles. And I'm probably so balanced on the T/F dichotomy that I could just choose my type anyways. And I choose Fi....so there. I've decided. Finally.

Now let's see how long I can actually stick with it...:alttongue:
I am watching you... can't change until AFTER Christmas. December 26. :happy2: