• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTJ and ESTP

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What are some more differences between these types apart from everything mentioned on this page? Also, (how) can you mix up ESFP and ENTJ?

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well guys, thanks. You've been a massive help to me.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Not to harp in too late but with my missus as an ESTP and my father as ENTJ they are like chalk and cheese beneath the surface.

ESTP.
Last minute jobs includes every job.
Pauses are for suckers or for when you haven't planned what happens next.
Waiting is boring, so why not jump right in and then find out what needs to be done/ learned etc.
A problem is a challenge which is found when you run into a brick wall. The first tactic is to go around the wall... as fast as possible.
People are represented as labels (sometimes more than one per person) and are utilised for anything which comes under that label. The most frustrating thing is when people refuse to jump in with you and start helping.

ENTJ.
Last minute jobs are usually the ones you either didn't want to do or could not get done in the time frame, they are failures or close to screw ups.
Pausing is an excellent idea so you can get your bearings and do things like remember to eat and stuff ;)
Jumping into something is uncomfortable and fraught with danger of problems.
A problem is a challenge which is found when you see a brick wall. The primary tactic is to go straight through said wall.
People represent a pattern of uses and abilities which can be applied to certain tasks. The most frustrating thing is when they refuse to comply.

(I think they are all correct... hope that helps some. Btw what's the goal with this comparison? Anything particular?)

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The major differences:
1. The use of Se as primary function instead of Ne.
2. Being P instead of J

Very hard to discern sometimes, especially when a person is experiencing somewhat of a crisis. I've come to trust behaviouristic type descriptions less and less the more I read about it. There are some that follow the archetypal lines of their types, but as C.G. Jung said, "Every person is an exception of the rule", or something along those lines.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(I think they are all correct... hope that helps some. Btw what's the goal with this comparison? Anything particular?)

Deciding on the possibility that I could be an ESTP.

The major differences:
1. The use of Se as primary function instead of Ne.

I thought the ENTJ's primary function was Te, not Ne. That's the ENTP's, is it not?

2. Being P instead of J

I think functional and dichotomical analyses are at odds with one another. This is simply because the typing methods - that is, MBTI - don't quite work if we're talking about functions. For example, an INXJ tests almost balanced on the N/T dichotomy scale; does this mean their auxiliary function is Fe and Te at the same time? Of course not; it shows that there are flaws in the typing method. However, typing by functional usage is practically the best way of typing someone. If only Myers and Briggs had entertained such a concept (MBTI doesn't work that well, but MBTT has potentiality).

Very hard to discern sometimes, especially when a person is experiencing somewhat of a crisis. I've come to trust behaviouristic type descriptions less and less the more I read about it.

But MBTT is about cognitive processes; not behavioural output. That's what Keirsey concerns himself with, and he clearly makes this distinction between Myers-Briggs' and his own work.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, sorry about that. My mind was a little bit elsewhere when I wrote that ^^ Of course it's Te. And you absolutely seem to know more about this than I do.

I agree with that the functional usage seem to be the best way to type someone.
In real life my outward persona is heavily gregarious and I have a thing for being a goddamn standup comedian, and I have a fairly well developed feeling side wich shows at least when i'm with or talking about my girlfriend.
Based on behaviouristic analysis from someone that doesn't know me well, i'd be typed as a feeler sometimes, sometimes as a P and maybe even as an S sometimes. It's just hard to pinpoint sometimes because I have been forced to develop my weaker sides.

Functional analysis reveals that i'm an ENTJ, and I guess that this would be where I feel most at home. Sad thing that we have such a bad rep.

am_i_evil666

based on my real life experience, both of them are evil.( well, not really, but they certainly have similarities to each other).
both of them don't care too much about other people's feeling or desires(all in all, they are oblivious of anything but their own interest). but still, from what i've noticed, ESTPs tend to act impulsively and don't realise when they hurt someone and ENTJs are more calculated and they know when they hurt someone because they planned it.
there's something i don't completely understand, but they both very determined and know their own interest and would step over dead bodies to achieve it.
as far as i could see, ESTPs are much more loyal than ENTJs, who are very manipulative and betrayers.
all of these are from my observations, so don't feel offended, as i see you're an ENTJ.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Ezra, from what you've posted so far I'd guess you're more ENTJ than ESTP. Oh and I still disagree that ENTJs are disloyal.. My fiancee is an ESTP and I can still get stabbed up accidentally... sure my father does similar but it's usually cause stabbing me up happens outside of what he's focusing on as opposed to just plain not paying attention to anything other than the singular thought occurring at that precise moment (ESTP).

Why would you be between those two anyway? They are quite different in many ways...

EJ, pick up information that relevant, then progress to solution.
EP, pick up information, sort through for that which is relevant and assemble a solution.

NT, tend to have problems with the world not be "correct" and people being "stupid". Critical analysis is their constant companion.
ST, tend to have problems with people being all "soft" and the world is almost made to make sense. Straight logic often controls their thinking (tend to be linear thinkers).

ES, concerned with now and the next five seconds. The quote that comes to mind is "It'll be all right for five minutes" which often means it'll still be there in about five months.
EN, more concerned with the overall pattern of things. Can often miss details which contradict their plan as they select which information to pay attention to based on if it conflicts with their plan or not (often subconsciously).

(Again this is just to the best of my ability, take from it what you will)

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
based on my real life experience, both of them are evil.( well, not really, but they certainly have similarities to each other).
both of them don't care too much about other people's feeling or desires(all in all, they are oblivious of anything but their own interest). but still, from what i've noticed, ESTPs tend to act impulsively and don't realise when they hurt someone and ENTJs are more calculated and they know when they hurt someone because they planned it.
there's something i don't completely understand, but they both very determined and know their own interest and would step over dead bodies to achieve it.
as far as i could see, ESTPs are much more loyal than ENTJs, who are very manipulative and betrayers.
all of these are from my observations, so don't feel offended, as i see you're an ENTJ.

It seems like you know only unhealthy individuals in real life if these are your experiences with any type.

Why would you be between those two anyway? They are quite different in many ways...

They are different, yes, but as that page I posted suggests, they're also quite similar.

am_i_evil666

It seems like you know only unhealthy individuals in real life if these are your experiences with any type.

well, to be honest i do know some ENTJs who are ok.
but i know more 'unhealty' ENTJs.
Currently I'm dating an ENTJ.I have yet to decide which of the 2 above he belongs to.:shock:

and to be clear, the "evilness" thingy is just a joke.:D

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I think the article was explicit and correct in distinguishing the differences in their core temperament styles:
Different temperaments, but much in common. ESTP is a variation of the Artisan pattern and ENTJ is a variation of the Rational pattern. Artisans have a core need for having the freedom to choose the next thing they are going to do with a drive to action and to make an impact, whereas Rationals have a core need for mastery, self-control, knowledge and competence.

The Rational need for competence also resonates with the ESTP. However, for the ENTJ, being competent ahead of doing something is crucial and they will want to understand something completely before they go ahead and act. The ESTP, on the other hand, will be more likely to quickly grasp the essence of something and then go ahead and take action, gaining competence as they go. When hearing descriptors, they may interpret competence in terms of their love of skillful performance.

Roles: Both temperaments have a preference for taking Pragmatic Roles so the freedom to choose the next action resonates to both types, as autonomy is the hallmark of pragmatic role taking. Pragmatism means doing what ever it takes to reach a goal, often ignoring rules or social norms. For the ENTJ, that freedom is around devising and getting others to follow a strategy. For the ESTP, that freedom is more often about the necessary tactical actions to get something accomplished.

Language: The temperament differences come in noticing their use of language, with the ESTP more likely to use language that describes things tangibly and the ENTJ language describes things conceptually.

Interest: Also note that ESTPs easily tune in to other’s motives and ENTJs are much more interested in structure than motive.
The key is that although it appears they both want closure, NTJs want decisions made and usually are not likely to change their initial decision whether new information arises that suggest otherwise. STPs appear to want decisions made, but when you scrutinize closer it's the SPs core need for expediency and to have an immediate impact by seeing the fruits of their results instead of closure.

The hallmark of ESTPs is their need for freedom, which distinguishes their comfort in leading a team, but not supervising. ETJs like to manage and supervise others. ESTPs do not like the feeling of being hamstrung and tied down to answering or responding to subordinates. As I have read, they're either leaders or lone wolves. They would much prefer to be the go-to person in times of crisis, lead projects or ad hoc teams that are focused on a specific goal, but once the goal is met separate the tie until the next time.

Last edited: