• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hap's Type

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hello.

I've decided to throw myself to the wolves today. I sure hope you enjoy psychoanalyzing me :)

From my understanding of Myers-Briggs, I've thought of myself as INTJ, but I noticed that the INTJ forum sucks. I can think of a few reasons why the INTJ forum is like this:

1) People on INTJ-fourm are immature (likely)
2) There is a mix of people on the forum that are not INTJ but rather fancy themselves INTJ, distilling a caricature of how INTJs 'should' act, that I find particularly obnoxious. (likely)
3) Rather, the distillation of numbers of INTJs there have created an efficient, while extremely boring, atmosphere (very likely).
4) I am not INTJ myself but rather a type that is incompatible with the atmosphere that INTJ-fourms creates (???)

Or some combination of the four.

Well, let me put down a smattering of things about myself so the little worker bees here can get started:

-I'm relatively withdrawn in real life. In fact, in casual situations where more than one person is paying attention to me, I tend to shut up very tightly. However, if I'm talking to only one person, I can talk a man's ear off, and maybe even say something clever once in a while.
-Most of the time at home I want nothing more than to be left alone. People talking to me when I'm not in the mood for talk will likely get a very nasty person on the other end of the conversation. My responses will be very terse with the intent of getting other people to leave. Unfortunately, this usually activates the "ooh, poor baby, what's wrong?" reflex in people which makes me even worse.
-Deadlines stress me like no other. Because it's the end of the school year, deadlines are fast, fast approaching, and it's brought me into panic and I don't know why, because I know that I can succeed.
-With emotional responses I tend to pay more attention to physical response than the emotion. I'm more likely to say that I feel sick rather than I'm upset.
-Talking about my own emotions makes me more upset than when I started. I look towards the root causes of all the problems and end up seeing these huge powers smashing into each other, causing the issue I'm talking about... more or less the only way to comfort me is to tell me to do what I already know that I need to do to solve the problem. Most people around me do not grasp that and find me very frustrating to deal with when I'm upset.
-I have no personal vendetta against the world.
-When I think, I usually think of the best way to get what I want while making the fewest waves. The last thing I want to do is to be bothered.
-I often find profuse sympathy where it's not wanted.
-School is boring and difficult. Most everything is based on rote memorization, and I've trusted my ability to figure things out mostly through school, but sometimes it just doesn't cut it. I've somehow managed to get decent grades all through school and a reputation as a 'smart kid,' but generally not as arrogant as a lot of the other 'smart kids'.
-I love to read. My favorite books are satires or dark humor, such as Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut. I also like absurdist stuff like Waiting for Godot. I generally don't like stuff that broods on itself too often -- case and point, Frankenstein.
-I love to write. I'm great at coming up with ideas, but whenever I start writing anything longer, I end up finding plotholes or generally losing the will to write, believing that it doesn't make any sense, and end up starting something new.
-I can have a hard time sleeping at night if I'm not completely exhausted. Thoughts tend to keep me awake, be they interesting ones or stress-induced ones.
-During disputes, I either stay out of it, or if it's with people who aren't above me in position, I'll try to be a clown and stop it. However, if I know that I can sort out any facts, I'll throw those facts out. Usually the facts fall on deaf ears, though.
-To cheer someone up, I'll try to make them laugh, unless I think it's wildly inappropriate. If that's the case, I'll just freeze up instead, which doesn't help anyone.
-When it comes to friends, I rarely ever make the first move. However, I still have friends. The types of people who don't immediately clique up with others tend to be drawn to me. I've met my best friends this way, but I've also met some people that I would not wish onto anybody this way.
-I don't usually appear very organized. My room is very messy, but I can usually find where things are within the mess. If anybody moves my mess, I can't find anything, and I freak out.
-I play the viola, though I'm not very good at it. I do a lot of sketching, but I wouldn't say it looks artistic at all. One thing that I'm very good at, though, is knitting and crochet. I've designed a few patterns, but most of the time I alter patterns that already exist.

So let's have fun with this. Please give justification for response and whatever. Keep in mind that I'm only fifteen, so this stuff isn't set in stone for me. But you know, MBTI is interesting.

So, everybody, have at me. :party2:

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Well, would you say that you are Ni dom?

Te auxiliary? Fi tertiary?

Let's get to the interesting part..

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Well, you sound like an introvert based on your description. As far as intuition goes, it's kinda hard to say from the facts you've given, but I'm leaning towards N. As far as thinking vs. feeling, your writing feels (HA!) more logical and orderly than emotionally-driven, and the skipping thought, lack of motivation, and disinterest in school screams P, hence, ESFJ.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Well, would you say that you are Ni dom?

Te auxiliary? Fi tertiary?

Let's get to the interesting part..

I'm still trying to get a grasp on what the functions are. I think I have some, but I'd like more input.

I'm pretty sure I'm Ni but I'm not so sure about the other two. That leaves INTJ and INFJ, doesn't it?

One of the problems about the difference between T and F functions is that T seems to be 'things' driven and F seems to be 'people' driven. There's rarely any crossover on how T types think of F things or F types think of T things. No explanation of crossover. I need some of that information.

Well, you sound like an introvert based on your description. As far as intuition goes, it's kinda hard to say from the facts you've given, but I'm leaning towards N. As far as thinking vs. feeling, your writing feels (HA!) more logical and orderly than emotionally-driven, and the skipping thought, lack of motivation, and disinterest in school screams P, hence, ESFJ.

I know, I'm a terrible liar, aren't I?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Ooh! Well there is plenty of information on the functions on the internet. Here is what I found for you:

Keep in mind the order.. if you truly are INTJ, then your primary function will be Ni, your secondary will be Te, tertiary Fi, and shadow Se.

Introverted iNtuition
INTJs are idea people. Anything is possible; everything is negotiable. Whatever the outer circumstances, INTJs are ever perceiving inner pattern-forms and using real-world materials to operationalize them. Others may see what is and wonder why; INTJs see what might be and say "Why not?!" Paradoxes, antinomies, and other contradictory phenomena aptly express these intuitors' amusement at those whom they feel may be taking a particular view of reality too seriously. INTJs enjoy developing unique solutions to complex problems.

Extraverted Thinking
Thinking in this auxiliary role is a workhorse. Closure is the payoff for efforts expended. Evaluation begs diagnosis; product drives process. As they come to light, Thinking tends, protects, affirms and directs iNtuition's offspring, fully equipping them for fulfilling and useful lives. A faithful pedagogue, Thinking argues not so much on its own behalf, but in defense of its charges. And through this process these impressionable ideas take on the likeness of their master.

Introverted Feeling
Feeling has a modest inner room, two doors down from the Most Imminent iNtuition. It doesn't get out much, but lends its influence on behalf of causes which are Good and Worthy and Humane. We may catch a glimpse of it in the unspoken attitude of good will, or the gracious smile or nod. Some question the existence of Feeling in this type, yet its unseen balance to Thinking is a cardinal dimension in the full measure of the INTJ's soul.

Extraverted Sensing
Sensing serves with a good will, or not at all. As other inferior functions, it has only a rudimentary awareness of context, amount or degree. Thus INTJs sweat the details or, at times, omit them. "I've made up my mind, don't confuse me with the facts" could well have been said by an INTJ on a mission. Sensing's extraverted attitude is evident in this type's bent to savor sensations rather than to merely categorize them. Indiscretions of indulgence are likely an expression of the unconscious vengeance of the inferior.

[source]

The perceptive iNtuition function is introverted. That is, iNtuition is used primarily to govern the inner world of thoughts and emotions. The INTJ will therefore:
  • Seek to develop a understanding of how the world can be
  • Seek to understand the patterns underlying his/her observations
  • Be strategic in nature, wanting to establish a clear vision towards which the INTJ is working
  • Not involve others in the development of that vision
The iNtuition function is primarily supported by extraverted Thinking judgement. That is, Thinking judgement is used primarily to manage the outer world of actions and words. This will modify the way that the iNtuition is directed, by:
  • focusing the (inner world) iNtuition on ideas and possibilities that relate to systems and concepts
  • inwardly maintaining a long term vision. Rather than communicating this vision directly, it may tend to surface in the form of criticism of ideas and situations that do not conform.
  • applying logical analysis to perceived patterns and possibilities, enabling the INTJ to quickly see the underlying principles in a situation
[source]

Introverted Intuition
Introverted iNtuiting involves synthesizing the seemingly paradoxical or contradictory, which takes understanding to a new level. Using this process, we can have moments when completely new, unimagined realizations come to us. A disengagement from interactions in the room occurs, followed by a sudden “Aha!” or “That’s it!” The sense of the future and the realizations that come from introverted iNtuiting have a sureness and an imperative quality that seem to demand action and help us stay focused on fulfilling our vision or dream of how things will be in the future. Using this process, we might rely on a focal device or symbolic action to predict, enlighten, or transform. We could find ourselves laying out how the future will unfold based on unseen trends and telling signs. This process can involve working out complex concepts or systems of thinking or conceiving of symbolic or novel ways to understand things that are universal. It can lead to creating transcendent experiences or solutions.

Extraverted Thinking
Contingency planning, scheduling, and quantifying utilize the process of extraverted Thinking. Extraverted Thinking helps us organize our environment and ideas through charts, tables, graphs, flow charts, outlines, and so on. At its most sophisticated, this process is about organizing and monitoring people and things to work efficiently and productively. Empirical thinking is at the core of extraverted Thinking when we challenge someone’s ideas based on the logic of the facts in front of us or lay out reasonable explanations for decisions or conclusions made, often trying to establish order in someone else’s thought process. In written or verbal communication, extraverted Thinking helps us easily follow someone else’s logic, sequence, or organization. It also helps us notice when something is missing, like when someone says he or she is going to talk about four topics and talks about only three. In general, it allows us to compartmentalize many aspects of our lives so we can do what is necessary to accomplish our objectives.

Introverted Feeling
It is often hard to assign words to the values used to make introverted Feeling judgments since they are often associated with images, feeling tones, and gut reactions more than words. As a cognitive process, it often serves as a filter for information that matches what is valued, wanted, or worth believing in. There can be a continual weighing of the situational worth or importance of everything and a patient balancing of the core issues of peace and conflict in life’s situations. We engage in the process of introverted Feeling when a value is compromised and we think, “Sometimes, some things just have to be said.” On the other hand, most of the time this process works “in private” and is expressed through actions. It helps us know when people are being fake or insincere or if they are basically good. It is like having an internal sense of the “essence” of a person or a project and reading fine distinctions among feeling tones.

[source]

Ni - introverted iNtuiting
Foreseeing implications and likely effects without external data; realizing “what will be”; conceptualizing new ways of seeing things; envisioning transformations; getting an image of profound meaning or far-reaching symbols.

Te - extraverted Thinking
Ordering; organizing for efficiency; systematizing; applying logic; structuring; checking for consequences; monitoring for standards or specifications being met; setting boundaries, guidelines, and parameters; deciding if something is working or not.

Fi - introverted Feeling
Valuing; considering importance and worth; reviewing for incongruity; evaluating something based on the truths on which it is based; clarifying values to achieve accord; deciding if something is of significance and worth standing up for.

[source]

If you doubt your type (as any student of MBTI should), then search google for "cognitive functions" or "cognitive processes" and eat yer heart out.

Best of luck.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Dana, very nice information, but you didn't give me any comparison. The biggest issue I see is the difference between Fe and Te as auxillary functions.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
Understanding the Eight Jungian Cognitive Processes / Eight Functions Attitudes

here ya go. kindly fill in the survey, and please paste up the 8 functions score for us, as well as the suggested type.

i have an idea, but i don't wanna create bias in the subject first. *puts Hap under the microscope* :nerd:

PS: you do seem to talk a LOT for an INTJ though. :huh: Most of them here are rather taciturn, shall we put it that way. :D THe only thing you need to really throw people off, is to use more of these little critters: :static: :wubbie: :holy: :hug:

:devil:

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
What do you mean by comparisons? You can learn about the functions if you search. I'm not doing all the work for you.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
What do you mean by comparisons? You can learn about the functions if you search. I'm not doing all the work for you.

I don't know, I thought you were going to be just a little more helpful. I ask you for specific information (difference between Te and Fe), you bring it. I can find it on my own, but still.

I don't trust this test. It was too obvious to me as to what functions corresponded to which function, so that naturally got me INTJ:

extraverted Sensing (Se) *************** (15.3)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ***************** (17.9)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************** (30.2)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************************* (45.3)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************************** (35.4)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************************************** (46.3)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *************** (15.8)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************* (33.2)
good use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTJ

Also recommended INTP and ENTJ.

What was this about being chatty? What I'm like online is not representative of what I'm like in real life. If I can think of things to say, I'll say them, especially online, because the inhibitions seem to fly away -- you know, because the internet doesn't 'count' in real life. In real life I'm constantly measuring what I say, which I know won't come out right anyway.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
2 cents!

Think of Fe and Te as the executors of Ni, if you will. Methinks Ni as your perception function means you search for a metamorphosis. To change the world and yourself, in effect. How you seek to carry it out, is then dependent on your auxilliary, i.e. Te or Fe, your Judging functions.

Te auxiliary tends to shape systems, seek to form the boundaries and rules of the game, processes, to achieve the vision. Fi as a tertiary means they have an inner value system guiding the change they seek. External conflict stresses them less vs INFJs, in fact, they could see it as an opportunity to game something if the Fi is not strong.

Fe auxiliary tends to shape people, relationships, to achieve the vision. Means conflict stresses them. Ti tertiary is a criticality turned inwards. It means the INFJ appears warm to those who know them, but few really see them clearly, and they seldom open up to everyone. A tendency to take things personally and be affected by other's emotions, I'd say? Because of that, they evolve a certain guardedness that is rarely penetrated.

What're your cognitive functions results?

You seem pretty open for an INTJ. :thinking: what is your arguing style?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hap, from reading quite a few of your posts on INTJforum, I am pretty confident that you are, in fact, an INTJ.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
You seem pretty open for an INTJ. :thinking: what is your arguing style?

Again, because the internet doesn't 'count' in real life -- i. e., I can always start over, I'm much, much more open. People tend to remember and take personally what I say in real life and that will affect everything later, which makes every word much more important.

My arguing style... if my argument is dismissed immediately, I get very upset. I try to use evidence but often I have trouble coming up with specific examples for things. If it's an intellectual debate, I hate when people bring up things like lack of experience on my part (again, a teenager) to invalidated my argument, accusing me of close-mindedness and therefore finding grounds to dismiss my argument without actually disproving me.

Hap, from reading quite a few of your posts on INTJforum, I am pretty confident that you are, in fact, an INTJ.

How do you figure?

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
:dry: Hap, you're not supposed to second guess and skew the results. answer honestly, as who you are most of the time, and not who you want to be.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
:dry: Hap, you're not supposed to second guess and skew the results. answer honestly, as who you are most of the time, and not who you want to be.

I am unable to not second guess and skew results. I've forgotten how to. My MBTI innocence is gone. :blush:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
How do you figure?

I knew you were going to ask that. ;)

I reverse type, i.e. I take the person as a whole and qualitatively analyze what type they project through their, in this case, posts.

You project an INTJ type personality to me, I know that isn't going to hold up in the courts or to most standards of deductive logic, but what can I say, I am an ENFP and I live in the world of inferences... :D

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
ok, not to let the game out too early, but my thought was that you were an INTP actually, based on your posts thus far in this forum. you're more....energetic than an INTJ. :thinking:

plus, the implode-til-you-explode emotive situation is classic of an intp. tendency to get hyper and exuberant over things you are really interested in, and to get very upset if no one sees it *your* way, yet unable to deal with the conflict?

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
what do you think of Machiavelli?

If you see something wrong with the world, would you seek to impose your order upon it, because it is *better* for everyone if you assume control, or would you be more likely to let them find their own way? (like an anxious parent behind the toddling child)

How much thought do you give before you act?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
ok, not to let the game out too early, but my thought was that you were an INTP actually, based on your posts thus far in this forum. you're more....energetic than an INTJ. :thinking:

plus, the implode-til-you-explode emotive situation is classic of an intp. tendency to get hyper and exuberant over things you are really interested in, and to get very upset if no one sees it *your* way, yet unable to deal with the conflict?

Energetic?

Ma'am, there are several factors that can go into that. At the moment I'm under a lot of stress so maybe another side is showing up. I've got to admit, life is making me scared and feeling terrible and I've been trying to get my catharsis online rather than letting it spill out into any other source. I know that I have to maintain a perfect demeanor in real life or else I'll end up heavily medicated. It's really a tough job, staying calm and appearing normal when you're falling apart from the inside.

Or maybe... it's just late...