User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: INFP or INTP?

Default INFP or INTP?

This time, I'd like to get my type mystery solved once and for all. So anyways, let the typing begin!

Some (hopefully) helpful information to start with:

-I wouldn't say I have a particularly strong sense of right and wrong, since I tend not to believe in absolutes, but unfairness can make me very angry
    -I try to detach, look at all sides, and analyze possible outcomes (emotional impact counts) to decide whether an action is right or wrong, but I prefer not to judge people
    -I like on the forum, but irl they make me feel awkward
    -I like foreign languages, psychology, and math, but I'm terrible at science
    -I care a lot about harmony and am very careful not to upset anyone or hurt people's feelings
    -I have an INFP 4w5 friend and an INTP 5w4 friend. My INFP friend seems very moody and judgmental compared to me, and my INTP friend is much more intellectual. Neither is particularly like me, though overall I relate much more to my INTP friend
    -I can be quite sensitive (though I don't get angry when I'm criticized, I just get embarrassed and feel like an idiot)
    -In most cases I prefer efficiency over correctness. I can be a perfectionist sometimes if it's something I really care about, but generally I'm not
    -It bothers me when people mispronounce words and I feel like correcting them (though I often don't because I don't want to be annoying)
    -I can use Fe, but it takes a lot of energy and focus, so I can't use it very often
    -I nearly always value mercy over justice
    -I'm very attracted to the idea of humanitarianism

I also very much relate to this recent post by @Jennifer:
    Fe inferior.

Emotions are indecipherable, hence a bit frightening and to be avoided.

Also, society typically runs off other concerns and while growing up INTPs are often poked and prodded and jammed into the social structure against their will. There can be a fear and resentment there of being controlled in such a fashion, with no way out since one is under the authority of those with different concerns; and having to watch the world consistently run in patterns that seem highly irrational and shallow, and finding few people to connect with.

There can be intense feelings of alientation, loneliness, and frustration with life. Some just get bitter.
    I've been thinking lately about how much of social interaction is just required ritual, and that really bothers me. Socialization is filled with people asking questions to be polite and friendly when they don't actually care about hearing the answer. These social norms are made up of shallow rules and regulations, and if you don't follow them you risk sounding rude or cold. It bothers me that these social norms essentially force me to choose between being inauthentic and disrupting social harmony.

Another thing that bothers me is that people can never truly understand how I feel and think on the inside. People only know what I show on the outside, and I'm not very good at representing my true self. I kind of wish Vulcan mind melds or a similar form of telepathy existed so that people could share their inner worlds and truly connect beyond a surface level.

Anyways, I'm sure this doesn't give the whole picture, it's just a list of things I happened to think of at the moment, so please ask questions.

Anew Leaf

INFP because we need our numbers to grow and since we cannot inbreed we have to convert from without.

We're kind of like werewolves and vampires.

Welcome! Have some jello!

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    INFP because we need our numbers to grow and since we cannot inbreed we have to convert from without.

We're kind of like werewolves and vampires.

Welcome! Have some jello!
    Mmmm, jello! That'll go great with my stash of pudding.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quick run down:-

-I wouldn't say I have a particularly strong sense of right and wrong, since I tend not to believe in absolutes, but unfairness can make me very angry
    First part suggests INFP, last clause suggests INTP.

Honestly INFPs tend to have weaker senses of right and wrong. That goes against the stereotype, I know, but it's because they tend to compulsively analyse and doubt in this area, whereas INTPs tend to compulsively analyse elsewhere. Yes, INTPs are more likely to say there is no right and wrong in this sense, or generally be much more apathetic to the concept intellectually, but their actions will tend to be based on a much more stable foundation of "right and wrong" they inevitably rely on regardless. INFPs will usually keep smashing that foundation compulsively, especially the more intellectually prone or detached INFPs.

-I try to detach, look at all sides, and analyze possible outcomes (emotional impact counts) to decide whether an action is right or wrong, but I prefer not to judge people
    Almost essential to being INFP, but INTPs can do this a lot too.

-I like on the forum, but irl they make me feel awkward
    Doesn't differentiate

-I like foreign languages, psychology, and math, but I'm terrible at science
    Doesn't differentiate.

-I care a lot about harmony and am very careful not to upset anyone or hurt people's feelings
    Suggests INFP

In general they analyse and focus on feelings a lot more than INTPs. INTPs can do it too, though.

-I have an INFP 4w5 friend and an INTP 5w4 friend. My INFP friend seems very moody and judgmental compared to me, and my INTP friend is much more intellectual. Neither is particularly like me, though overall I relate much more to my INTP friend
    Doesn't differentiate, unless you clarify why you relate to the INTP more. It could be for reasons unrelated to type, for example.

-I can be quite sensitive (though I don't get angry when I'm criticized, I just get embarrassed and feel like an idiot)
    Doesn't differentiate

-In most cases I prefer efficiency over correctness. I can be a perfectionist sometimes if it's something I really care about, but generally I'm not
    Doesn't differentiate

-It bothers me when people mispronounce words and I feel like correcting them (though I often don't because I don't want to be annoying)
    Suggests INTP

I have no idea why this is the case, INTPs just seem to do this a lot more than INFPs. INTPs greater focus on systems and their consistency, perhaps.

-I can use Fe, but it takes a lot of energy and focus, so I can't use it very often
    Depends what you mean. INFPs, on average, find it harder to use Fe than INTPs, but both types find it difficult.

-I nearly always value mercy over justice
    Suggests INFP

Feeling over Thinking. Feelers tend to be more consequentialist, Thinkers more deontological. It's a vague tendency, but it's there. It's related to Thinkers valuing consistency more than Feelers, on average, and Feelers greater focus on feelings and emotions (which are very consequential in nature).

Another example is one's general reactions to hypocrisy. Feelers, on average, will care less about it as it is a deontological concept, based on consistency.

-I'm very attracted to the idea of humanitarianism
    Doesn't really differentiate without clarification.

I also very much relate to this recent post by Jennifer
    Suggests INTP, unless you ignore the line regarding emotions, in which case it doesn't differentiate.

I've been thinking lately about how much of social interaction is just required ritual, and that really bothers me. Socialization is filled with people asking questions to be polite and friendly when they don't actually care about hearing the answer. These social norms are made up of shallow rules and regulations, and if you don't follow them you risk sounding rude or cold. It bothers me that these social norms essentially force me to choose between being inauthentic and disrupting social harmony.
    Doesn't differentiate

Another thing that bothers me is that people can never truly understand how I feel and think on the inside. People only know what I show on the outside, and I'm not very good at representing my true self. I kind of wish Vulcan mind melds or a similar form of telepathy existed so that people could share their inner worlds and truly connect beyond a surface level.
    I'm gonna say it doesn't differentiate. Personally I think it suggests INTP, since they seem to dislike isolation more than INFPs, on average, but many would say INFPs long for that deeper intimacy, whereas INTPs long for the realistic forms of intimacy. Both caring a lot less about missing the other type of intimacy.

Overall, if I had to guess from this, INFP 5. The 5 makes you look a lot like an INTP, but it doesn't actually make you more INTP. It's an external appearance thing.

Question: When you find yourself in a detached state of mind, do you find you consciously activate it on some level? Put another way, do you deliberately try to do it?

I ask because INFPs tend to do it deliberately and more consciously, whereas INTPs tend to do it much more instinctively or naturally. It's quite possible for an INFP to detach as much, or more so, than an INTP, though it's a lot rarer than vice versa.

That was the main reason I decided on INFP 6w5 for myself. I detach and rationalise more than the average INTP, dare I say, but the motivation to do so comes from Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Doesn't differentiate, unless you clarify why you relate to the INTP more. It could be for reasons unrelated to type, for example.
    Personality-wise, I'm much more like my INTP friend. I'm not really looking at specifics here, I'm just going by the overall picture or vibes. I have an easier time getting along with her. My INFP friend is completely different from me and I have trouble relating to her at all.

I also very much relate to this recent post by Jennifer
    Suggests INTP, unless you ignore the line regarding emotions, in which case it doesn't differentiate.
    I don't really relate to that line. I don't find emotions particularly scary or alien.

Question: When you find yourself in a detached state of mind, do you find you consciously activate it on some level? Put another way, do you deliberately try to do it?

I ask because INFPs tend to do it deliberately and more consciously, whereas INTPs tend to do it much more instinctively or naturally. It's quite possible for an INFP to detach as much, or more so, than an INTP, though it's a lot rarer than vice versa.

That was the main reason I decided on INFP 6w5 for myself. I detach and rationalise more than the average INTP, dare I say, but the motivation to do so comes from Fi.
    It depends on whether or not I have an emotional reaction to begin with. If I do, then I consciously detach. But often I'm already detached and aloof, especially when I've been isolated for too long.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I changed my mind.

INFP 9w1

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I changed my mind.

INFP 9w1
    Why 9?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

A lot of it has to do with comments I've seen from you [I think I've repped you on one or some of them] involving pacifying fear and worry by expelling it from your mind, whereas a 5 will tend to intellectualize it and compartmentalize in order to maintain control via distance. I specifically enjoyed how you made a blog and had no idea what to do with something that was unquestionably yours, immediately wondering what other people do with theirs and thus, expect out of you You seem to have a very highly agreeable, moderating nature about you that would lead one to think 9 over 5 as well.

Keep in mind, 9s can be just as intellectual as 5s but for 5s it's a symptom of a greater fixation rather than a character trait, like it is for others. 9s also tend to be inherently idealistic and holistic while 5s are more cynical and reductionist.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    A lot of it has to do with comments I've seen from you [I think I've repped you on one or some of them] involving pacifying fear and worry by expelling it from your mind, whereas a 5 will tend to intellectualize it and compartmentalize in order to maintain control via distance. I specifically enjoyed how you made a blog and had no idea what to do with something that was unquestionably yours, immediately wondering what other people do with theirs and thus, expect out of you You seem to have a very highly agreeable, moderating nature about you that would lead one to think 9 over 5 as well.

Keep in mind, 9s can be just as intellectual as 5s but for 5s it's a symptom of a greater fixation rather than a character trait, like it is for others. 9s also tend to be inherently idealistic and holistic while 5s are more cynical and reductionist.
    Funny, I just finished writing another post that demonstrates what you just said here.

Anyways, being intellectual isn't my reason for being a 5 (I'm actually not particularly intellectual), it's the isolation. Apparently 9 and recluse don't mix. 5's isolate themselves from people while 9's move toward others. Also, it seems that 9's are pleasant and agreeable to the point where they are focused on others at the expense of their own needs and desires. I'm not particularly other-oriented. My reason for being pleasant and agreeable is because I don't want to upset people and I don't want people to dislike me, which is probably a reason 9 would have as well, but I still don't see myself as being nearly as other-oriented as a 9 would have to be.

Glycerine

Nines aren't necessary engaged. Not dictating that you are a specific type but here is some food for thought. Here is an excerpt from http://www.amazon.com/Personality-Ty.../dp/0395798671