User Tag List

First 12

Thread: INFP or INTP?

This fits me VERY well.

Did you happen to read my post from the "A word for fellow 9's" thread? This made me think of that post.
    I'm very good at wasting time (euphemism for "I'm very lazy" ). Lately it feels like I have to have a ridiculously large chunk of time available before I'll feel comfortable starting a simple task. I'll put something off all day long until the evening when I have several hours of free time, and then it ends up only taking 10 minutes to do. This even applies to recreation. It seems like I can't start an activity that requires time (such as reading, drawing, or watching a movie) unless I have way more time than I actually need, so I'll end up spending most of my time doing simple and easy things like foruming and listening to music. I blame the 9 in my tritype. Though the 9 does make me less anxious compared to other 5's. I tend not to worry about things that are beyond my control (and I prefer not to worry in general).
    Anyways, about the only big problem I have with 9's is the isolation. But I've read that 9's can take an indifferent and apathetic stance to the world, so perhaps that indifference combined with sloth could lead to becoming a recluse.

I'm a recluse because I don't particularly enjoy socializing, and I hate it when people control my time (anger at being controlled could be 5 or 9). Whenever I do find myself in a social situation, I'm very quiet, aloof, and disengaged (again, could be 5 or 9). I don't show it, but I get annoyed when I have to respond in certain ways or ask questions just to seem polite and friendly and keep the conversation going, when I would really much rather be alone in my room where I can be myself. I'm almost beginning to wonder if maintaining friendships is really worth the effort, when all I ever get is shallow interaction and social obligations.

Ugh, enough negativity. I'm not really that cynical.

Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    Nines aren't necessary engaged. Not dictating that you are a specific type but here is some food for thought. Here is an excerpt from http://www.amazon.com/Personality-Ty.../dp/0395798671

Out of curiosity, what are the main differences between this and a 5?
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

Glycerine

9s need for inner peace drives their interactions so either they will tend to fix the environment/people so there's harmony or they will completely disengage in order not to be affected by the chaos.

5s detach out of fear of not meeting social expectations/pressures (incompetence, helpless, incapable). They combat this by trying to gain resources (ex. information) so they will be "prepared". The mind is their line of defense against the unknown.

5s overanalyze while 9s zone out (disengage) when retreating into their minds.

9s need for inner peace drives their interactions so either they will tend to fix the environment/people so there's harmony or will completely disengage in order not to be affected by the chaos.

5s detach out of fear of not meeting social expectations/pressures (incompetence, helpless, incapable). They combat this by trying to gain resources (ex. information) so they will be "prepared". The mind is their line of defense against the unknown.

5s overanalyze while 9s zone out (disengage).
    Interesting. I definitely zone out and stop thinking about all the things I have to do so that I don't get stressed out. And I'm not sure I'm really as mentally engaged as a 5 would be. Lately my thinking seems a bit hazy and unfocused...

Glycerine

In comparison to my mom (INFP, e9), I (NFJ e5), my mind is constantly analyzing something, I am much more of a worry wort, pessimist, removed from my environment, intense, private, hard to get to know. She's more optimistic, laidback, a bit more receptive, more engaged in the environment (this doesn't mean that she's 100% extrovert by any means.... she engages people but is only close to a select few). I drive her nuts with my overanalytical brain.

Enneagram
    5w4

9s need for inner peace drives their interactions so either they will tend to fix the environment/people so there's harmony or they will completely disengage in order not to be affected by the chaos.

5s overanalyze while 9s zone out (disengage) when retreating into their minds.
    Then I'm a 5 for sure, not that I was ever in doubt.

I don't prioritize feelings, but that definitely doesn't mean I block them out. I give everything a lot of mental "air- time" and analyse/mull over them, often trying to figure out "Why?" and get to the bottom of it all. I revel in those moments. Actually, it's meditative for me.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as being "too stimulated", and I'd never allow myself to get to the point of being "too exhausted" anyway - well, not from thinking, at least.
    I also don't relate to the 9's preference to disengage in order not to be affected by chaos. On the contrary, I might try and get closer to the action so I can "get a better view" of what's happening and be "in the know" It doesn't necessarily mean I'll engage.
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

I like how this thread was supposed to be about my MBTI type and ended up being about my enneatype.

Anyways, I fall on the 9 side when it comes to dealing with stress and anxiety. I'm pretty much always disengaged in order to avoid dealing with stress. And I've never really related to 5's being an observer. I'm only really an observer in the sense that I'm disengaged and not active, but I'm really not a very observant person. I'm often oblivious to what's going on around me, which makes me clumsy. Sometimes I end up walking into things because I'm spaced out and not paying attention.

But I don't lose myself in others. I fall on the 5 side when it comes to dealing with others, because I move away from people rather than toward them. So I don't know. I don't fit neatly into either type it seems.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    Interesting. I definitely zone out and stop thinking about all the things I have to do so that I don't get stressed out. And I'm not sure I'm really as mentally engaged as a 5 would be. Lately my thinking seems a bit hazy and unfocused...
    Have you been getting enough sleep lately? I've been sleeping a bit late, and that kind of impairs my thinking when I'm trying my best to focus...

Not getting enough sleep can make your mind hazy. Might be worth looking into, I think.

I like how this thread was supposed to be about my MBTI type and ended up being about my enneatype.

Anyways, I fall on the 9 side when it comes to dealing with stress and anxiety. I'm pretty much always disengaged in order to avoid dealing with stress. And I've never really related to 5's being an observer. I'm only really an observer in the sense that I'm disengaged and not active, but I'm really not a very observant person. I'm often oblivious to what's going on around me, which makes me clumsy. Sometimes I end up walking into things because I'm spaced out and not paying attention.

But I don't lose myself in others. I fall on the 5 side when it comes to dealing with others, because I move away from people rather than toward them. So I don't know. I don't fit neatly into either type it seems.
    I relate quite a lot to the stuff you write. Unfortunately, that might mean I can't help you very much, since I can't quite grasp my own type... I apologize.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Have you been getting enough sleep lately? I've been sleeping a bit late, and that kind of impairs my thinking when I'm trying my best to focus...

Not getting enough sleep can make your mind hazy. Might be worth looking into, I think.
    I get plenty of sleep. My thinking isn't quite so hazy right now. I guess I was pretty tired last night.

But overall, I still don't feel as mentally engaged as a I would expect a 5 to be. I zone out all the time, and I'm not necessarily analyzing something or thinking about anything in particular. In Spanish class, sometimes I just involuntarily zone out and miss what the teacher's saying, and then as soon as I realize that I'm not paying attention, I try to focus again. It's not like I have ADD or anything, but I'm amazed at how hard it is to pay attention and not drift off sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I relate quite a lot to the stuff you write. Unfortunately, that might mean I can't help you very much, since I can't quite grasp my own type... I apologize.
    Interesting. Do you relate to moving away from people rather than toward them?

MBTI
    IsFJ

I get plenty of sleep. My thinking isn't quite so hazy right now. I guess I was pretty tired last night.

But overall, I still don't feel as mentally engaged as a I would expect a 5 to be. I zone out all the time, and I'm not necessarily analyzing something or thinking about anything in particular. In Spanish class, sometimes I just involuntarily zone out and miss what the teacher's saying, and then as soon as I realize that I'm not paying attention, I try to focus again. It's not like I have ADD or anything, but I'm amazed at how hard it is to pay attention and not drift off sometimes.
    Hmmm... That seems to refute my "poor sleep" hypothesis. Keep in mind, though, that 5w4s can be less expressively logical than 5w6s.

Interesting. Do you relate to moving away from people rather than toward them?
    In a way, yes. I feel guilty about the idea of abandoning, rejecting or being cold to people, but I naturally seek very few people to truly engage with. I'm a natural shrinking violet in some ways, but I'm not quite as independent as Five descriptions make 5s out to be.

But enough about me, dang it! Heaven knows my own thread is practically a tumor; I want to keep your turf free from too many Viridianisms.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).