User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    Well you're certainly inhibited, it's just a case of figuring out why.

For a 5, the issue would simply be one of fear and competency - in other words, you would probably complain that you wouldn't "know" what to do in those situations, and consequently be afraid of entering into those situations because you might end up making a fool of yourself accidently. You'd probably end up feeling removed and separate from the whole thing, and thus not all that interested.

For a 1, the issue is overcoming one's own rigid and self-imposed inhibitions that have been adopted in order to become a "good" person - in other words, entering into those situations would be perceived as somehow undermining to who you are.

I guess 1 is the easy answer here, since it seems your problem is one of not wanting to partake in "bad" behaviour, rather than a real sense of fear or not "knowing" what to do.
    Right, I have no issues at all in admitting I don't know something or I don't know what to do in a situation. What concerns me more is getting through life with my sense of idealism intact. My fear is that it won't be.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

hey cloud.

you sound very much 1w9.

i do also understand the sense of purity. i had it in terms of my own virginity for a long time too. i don't think we share the same enneatype, but i have a strong desire for the major facets of my life to play out in an clean, aesthetic way - it upsets me when things are quick and dirty. 6 (me) and 1 share a certain need to feel in control

speaking of - i don't think you necessarily have to give up your perfectionism and control to be happy. maybe it's too much info, but when i finally lost my virginity, it was beyond the right time for me, and with someone i love. in some people's eyes i'm sure it would be ridiculous i waited so long but to me it was totally worth it, because i have absolutely no regrets about it. i was more than ready. i was like that with relationships, too. it's taken me far longer than many others to get in a serious relationship. but my relationship quality is leaps and bounds over many others'. in that way i think the perfectionism can work for you... it's just that maybe you'll have to figure out the point in each domain at which you can finally let go of it... or "cash in" on it, if that makes sense... like reap the benefits of it before it becomes too much -- when you've reached the point where to keep on restricting would be more harmful than helpful.

and figuring out how you can maintain purity while still enjoying yourself. like i still feel fairly "pure" sexually despite not being a virgin anymore because i've only ever been with the one person i'm completely in love with and in a committed relationship with. i suppose there's some facet of me that misses being a virgin, but the circumstances i lost it under were almost entirely under my own control. so i guess... learning how to control when you lose control? like scheduling free time into your day. it's free time, so it's fun, but it's scheduled in, so you know you're not endangering other facets of your life. i feel like maybe you could try to manage perfectionism in a similar way. and then experiencing that loss of control could help you better connect with and understand others. to me others sometimes seem yucky from far away but once you get up close and get to know them, you begin to understand why they are the way they are and why they do what they do... up close they become less messy and more human. more like you.

it also helps me to remember that chaos is part of the universal pattern - nothing is really random, or messy. there's always order in chaos, just as there's always chaos in order.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Hey, skylights found her enneatype (paranoid woman)!
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    hey cloud.

you sound very much 1w9.

i do also understand the sense of purity. i had it in terms of my own virginity for a long time too. i don't think we share the same enneatype, but i have a strong desire for the major facets of my life to play out in an clean, aesthetic way - it upsets me when things are quick and dirty. 6 (me) and 1 share a certain need to feel in control

speaking of - i don't think you necessarily have to give up your perfectionism and control to be happy. maybe it's too much info, but when i finally lost my virginity, it was beyond the right time for me, and with someone i love. in some people's eyes i'm sure it would be ridiculous i waited so long but to me it was totally worth it, because i have absolutely no regrets about it. i was more than ready. i was like that with relationships, too. it's taken me far longer than many others to get in a serious relationship. but my relationship quality is leaps and bounds over many others'. in that way i think the perfectionism can work for you... it's just that maybe you'll have to figure out the point in each domain at which you can finally let go of it... or "cash in" on it, if that makes sense... like reap the benefits of it before it becomes too much -- when you've reached the point where to keep on restricting would be more harmful than helpful.

and figuring out how you can maintain purity while still enjoying yourself. like i still feel fairly "pure" sexually despite not being a virgin anymore because i've only ever been with the one person i'm completely in love with and in a committed relationship with. i suppose there's some facet of me that misses being a virgin, but the circumstances i lost it under were almost entirely under my own control. so i guess... learning how to control when you lose control? like scheduling free time into your day. it's free time, so it's fun, but it's scheduled in, so you know you're not endangering other facets of your life. i feel like maybe you could try to manage perfectionism in a similar way. and then experiencing that loss of control could help you better connect with and understand others. to me others sometimes seem yucky from far away but once you get up close and get to know them, you begin to understand why they are the way they are and why they do what they do... up close they become less messy and more human. more like you.

it also helps me to remember that chaos is part of the universal pattern - nothing is really random, or messy. there's always order in chaos, just as there's always chaos in order.
    Thank you; this is very reassuring.

MBTI
    ISFJ

You do sound like 1w9 or 9w1.

Your a Gut person. For what it's worth, I'm not an INFJ, I'm not a 1 (more 8 inclined) and your story resonates with me. So don't feel your weird, you are very normal

And your apparent weaknesses are also your biggest strengths. Cut yourself some slack, ignore the naysayers and enjoy life. You'll only start being and feeling perfect, when you give up trying to be perfect...as cheesy as that sounds.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

So yeah, I'm really feeling 1w9 at this point. As far as stacking goes, sx/sp makes the most sense to me.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

One thing that people sometimes say about me is that I seem angry or irritated much of the time, whether by appearance or what I say and how I say it. It's almost always unintentional, but it has the ironic effect of making me irritated and I want to tell them to fuck off. But I don't because I'm aware of the consequences.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Just to reiterate, I'm more or less settled on being a 1, as un-glamorous and uncool as it may be. (hint hint)

Now, I just need to figure out my wing.

Banned

The Enneagram Institute has a series of type descriptions that also list health levels. You could look at the type one description to gauge your current health level, and what its like at a "higher" level.

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/TypeOne.asp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

So, as an update, I'm still favoring 1 over 4 because I've been paying extra attention to my behavior and demeanor in real life, and it's very formal and reserved. But secretly, I'm still an emotional mess.

One part of the 1 that I don't relate to is the "Childhood Pattern", which is that Ones form a sense of internal structure to compensate for an absent protective figure. I was a fastidious drama queen growing up and nowhere near the Boy Scout that 1's are often painted as.