• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENFP or ENTP?

Skittles

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Hullo everyone, I've recently taken the MBTI test several times and have gotten mixed results. Typically I get ENFP or ENTP, so I was wondering, what are the key differences between the two? I always test around the middle percentage for them so it is likely that I am both, but I am curious to know the differences anyway. Thanks :)

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hullo everyone, I've recently taken the MBTI test several times and have gotten mixed results. Typically I get ENFP or ENTP, so I was wondering, what are the key differences between the two? I always test around the middle percentage for them so it is likely that I am both, but I am curious to know the differences anyway. Thanks :)

F.

Badlands

MBTI Type
INTP
ENTPs are known as Inventors:
Inventors begin building gadgets and mechanisms as young children, and never really stop, though as adults they will turn their inventiveness to many kinds of organizations, social as well as mechanical. There aren't many Inventors, say about two percent of the population, but they have great impact on our everyday lives. With their innovative, entrepreneurial spirit, Inventors are always on the lookout for a better way, always eyeing new projects, new enterprises, new processes. Always aiming to "build a better mousetrap."

Inventors are keenly pragmatic, and often become expert at devising the most effective means to accomplish their ends. They are the most reluctant of all the types to do things in a particular manner just because that's the way they have been done. As a result, they often bring fresh, new approaches to their work and play. They are intensely curious and continuously probe for possibilities, especially when trying to solve complex problems. Inventors are filled with ideas, but value ideas only when they make possible actions and objects. Thus they see product design not as an end in itself, but as a means to an end, as a way of devising the prototype that works and that can be brought to market. Inventors are confident in their pragmatism, counting on their ability to find effective ways and means when they need them, rather than making a detailed blueprint in advance. A rough idea is all they need to feel ready to proceed into action.

Inventors often have a lively circle of friends and are interested in their ideas and activities. They are usually easy-going, seldom critical or carping. Inventors can be engaging conversationalists, able to express their own complicated ideas and to follow the ideas of others. When arguing issues, however, they may deliberately employ debate skills to the serious disadvantage of their opponents.

Inventors are usually non-conformists in the workplace, and can succeed in many areas as long as the job does not involve too much humdrum routine. They make good leaders on pilot projects that test their ingenuity. And they are skilled at engineering human relationships and human systems, quickly grasping the politics of institutions and always wanting to understand the people within the system rather than tell them what to do. No matter what their occupation, however, Inventors display an extraordinary talent for rising to the demands of even the most impossible situations. "It can't be done" is a challenge to an Inventor and elicits a reaction of "I can do it."

ENFPs are called Champions:
Like the other Idealists, Champions are rather rare, say two or three percent of the population, but even more than the others they consider intense emotional experiences as being vital to a full life. Champions have a wide range and variety of emotions, and a great passion for novelty. They see life as an exciting drama, pregnant with possibilities for both good and evil, and they want to experience all the meaningful events and fascinating people in the world. The most outgoing of the Idealists, Champions often can't wait to tell others of their extraordinary experiences. Champions can be tireless in talking with others, like fountains that bubble and splash, spilling over their own words to get it all out. And usually this is not simple storytelling; Champions often speak (or write) in the hope of revealing some truth about human experience, or of motivating others with their powerful convictions. Their strong drive to speak out on issues and events, along with their boundless enthusiasm and natural talent with language, makes them the most vivacious and inspiring of all the types.

Fiercely individualistic, Champions strive toward a kind of personal authenticity, and this intention always to be themselves is usually quite attractive to others. At the same time, Champions have outstanding intuitive powers and can tell what is going on inside of others, reading hidden emotions and giving special significance to words or actions. In fact, Champions are constantly scanning the social environment, and no intriguing character or silent motive is likely to escape their attention. Far more than the other Idealists, Champions are keen and probing observers of the people around them, and are capable of intense concentration on another individual. Their attention is rarely passive or casual. On the contrary, Champions tend to be extra sensitive and alert, always ready for emergencies, always on the lookout for what's possible.

Champions are good with people and usually have a wide range of personal relationships. They are warm and full of energy with their friends. They are likable and at ease with colleagues, and handle their employees or students with great skill. They are good in public and on the telephone, and are so spontaneous and dramatic that others love to be in their company. Champions are positive, exuberant people, and often their confidence in the goodness of life and of human nature makes good things happen.

autumn

MBTI Type
eNFP
Hi Skittles,
ENFP and ENTP do have a lot in common, particularly as they share the same dominant function (extraverted intuition). However, they do not have the same broader temperament: ENTP is NT and ENFP is NF. Something that might help you to better determine your type (in addition to reading type descriptions of both types such as the ones in the post above) would be to read about the NT and NF temperaments and see which one fits you better. Here's a short description of the NT temperament (for ENTP) :The Rational Temperament and one for the NF temperament (ENFP) :The Idealist Temperament.

I hope this helps! :smile:

autumn

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Have you done the function test?

Both types have Ne as their primary function but
ENFP's have Fi as their second and
ENTP's Ti

..so there is a huge difference there.
Ne is what makes them look alike sometimes.

I would also say that
ENFP's are for people
ENTP's are for technology
...this example is from IT-world ;)

They both like to have fun.

Skittles

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Sorry for dragging up a month old post lol, but yes I just took the function test. These were my results:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) **************************************** (40.4)
excellent use
introverted Sensing (Si) *********** (11)
unused
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) **************************************************** (52.6)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************** (32.5)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *************** (15)
unused
introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************** (17.3)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************************* (33.5)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************* (37.7)
excellent use

Errr apparently I'm retarded in the Thinking area (so how did I possibly think I was ENTP?? lol). I'm not sure what this means, I looked at the list of functions for INFP/ENFP/ESFP and they look similar, and I can relate somewhat to the descriptions for each. If it helps any I grew up in a really remote small town area (which means nothing to do) and my family members are all S's.

What's weird is although I really enjoy liberal arts and the sort I'm in school for IT. Which is why I thought possibly T at first, technology! I love :D

Gen

MBTI Type
INTP
Sorry for dragging up a month old post lol, but yes I just took the function test. These were my results:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) **************************************** (40.4)
excellent use
introverted Sensing (Si) *********** (11)
unused
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) **************************************************** (52.6)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************** (32.5)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *************** (15)
unused
introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************** (17.3)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************************* (33.5)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************* (37.7)
excellent use

Errr apparently I'm retarded in the Thinking area (so how did I possibly think I was ENTP?? lol). I'm not sure what this means, I looked at the list of functions for INFP/ENFP/ESFP and they look similar, and I can relate somewhat to the descriptions for each. If it helps any I grew up in a really remote small town area (which means nothing to do) and my family members are all S's.

What's weird is although I really enjoy liberal arts and the sort I'm in school for IT. Which is why I thought possibly T at first, technology! I love :D

Hello ENFP! :hi:

Don't ever let them think you're not as smart as a T just because you're an F. My fiance's an ENFP and, like, the smartest guy I ever met.

I say E because your functions are Ne/Fi. It's pretty clear cut. And your Se usage is way too good to be an introvert. An introverted intuitive is basically retarted in Se, most times.

Congrats, it's a good type! (Not sure how easy it is to be that type, but good.) :party2:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not an expert on this sort of thing, but after living with my ENFP twin for 3 decades, I can clearly see the difference between ENFP and ENTP, but I have difficulty explaining it. Jaye is emotional, but at the same time, due to her primary Ne, she can consciously objectify a feeling (thanks to cool secondary Fi), whereas an ENTP might not consciously "feel" something even though he has Fe giving him a hot-foot.

What do I know. I'm an Fe primary. :D lol *dramatic hand to forehead*

Skittles

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I think you're right, one of my friends who's ENTP talks and talks and talks and never stops talking XD It seems like he doesn't know when to stop sometimes, doesn't notice when people are like o_O; Hmmm I think I am ENFP ^_^ I was surprised by the really high Se, I didn't realize you could have a high Ne AND Se and still be considered one or the other?