User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Curious Again

Default Curious Again

I've done a lot of research trying to determine whether my dominant function is Ti or Fi. In the end, I decided that I'm more likely INTP, although it seems there's still the possibility that I could actually be an INFP.

As you can see in my signature, my function order shows an equal chance of either type, but something I find interesting is that when I take MBTI tests where the questions pit Fi against Te and Ti against Fe, I've noticed that Fi comes out much higher than Ti because Fi is more strongly preferred over Te than Ti over Fe. What does this indicate? Could it indicate that I'm really Te inferior rather than Fe inferior? Or could this be natural considering that Te in an INTP would be a shadow function, thus perhaps weaker than the inferior?

In some ways Te would make a lot of sense as my inferior, since I really can't stand all the detail-oriented planning and directing aspects of it. And although Fe is supposedly my inferior function, I still haven't figured out how it manifests in me. I'm extremely agreeable, and I also consider myself a caring and empathetic person, so what if the only thing that makes my Fe so low is my introversion?

Well, that said, I can't ignore the fact that I probably sound very INTP. I'm not trying to sound this way, this is just how it naturally comes out--I actually had to go back and change my wording because it sounded like I was writing a scientific essay. Another thing is that the fact that I'm analyzing this so thoroughly probably also indicates INTP. On the other hand, I already know that I have very strong Ti and Fi, and I seem to use both functions, often together. I wrote in another thread that I seem to experience Fi-Ti-Si loops.

So...what type does everyone think I am? Please feel free to ask questions and make suggestions. And please don't just say I'm an INFP because of my enneatype.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    I've done a lot of research trying to determine whether my dominant function is Ti or Fi. In the end, I decided that I'm more likely INTP, although it seems there's still the possibility that I could actually be an INFP.

As you can see in my signature, my function order shows an equal chance of either type, but something I find interesting is that when I take MBTI tests where the questions pit Fi against Te and Ti against Fe, I've noticed that Fi comes out much higher than Ti because Fi is more strongly preferred over Te than Ti over Fe. What does this indicate? Could it indicate that I'm really Te inferior rather than Fe inferior? Or could this be natural considering that Te in an INTP would be a shadow function, thus perhaps weaker than the inferior?

In some ways Te would make a lot of sense as my inferior, since I really can't stand all the detail-oriented planning and directing aspects of it. And although Fe is supposedly my inferior function, I still haven't figured out how it manifests in me. I'm extremely agreeable, and I also consider myself a caring and empathetic person, so what if the only thing that makes my Fe so low is my introversion?

Well, that said, I can't ignore the fact that I probably sound very INTP. I'm not trying to sound this way, this is just how it naturally comes out--I actually had to go back and change my wording because it sounded like I was writing a scientific essay. Another thing is that the fact that I'm analyzing this so thoroughly probably also indicates INTP. On the other hand, I already know that I have very strong Ti and Fi, and I seem to use both functions, often together. I wrote in another thread that I seem to experience Fi-Ti-Si loops.

So...what type does everyone think I am? Please feel free to ask questions and make suggestions. And please don't just say I'm an INFP because of my enneatype.
    I've always assumed you were a pleasant INTP, actually. I don't even think I ever looked. I don't have much two cents to add beyond that. Most INTP's that I see are fairly cool, calm and collected- not particularly empathic but not uncaring either- usually very willing to listen and have some good advice to offer- INFP's seem to get more caught up in human aspect of things, a bit more empathic, less rational but appear more out of the box with their imagination. You may feel a little "F" because of that 4 in your enneagram. I've also seen people where I just can't tell.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

INFP 4w5

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I've always assumed you were a pleasant INTP, actually. I don't even think I ever looked. I don't have much two cents to add beyond that. Most INTP's that I see are fairly cool, calm and collected- not particularly empathic but not uncaring either- usually very willing to listen and have some good advice to offer- INFP's seem to get more caught up in human aspect of things, a bit more empathic, less rational but appear more out of the box with their imagination. You may feel a little "F" because of that 4 in your enneagram. I've also seen people where I just can't tell.
    What makes it hard for me to tell is that I have both sides--the rational and the empathic, but I don't know which is more natural for me. In general, my Ti is in charge and makes most decisions, but there are times when Fi can override Ti. Or is it the other way around? In any case, I'm not typical of either type.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    INFP 4w5
    May I ask why?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    May I ask why?
    Sure, go ahead.

Glycerine

I always thought more on the INFP side to be honest. I find it hard to believe one both prefers Ti and Fi near the same amount... I would think they would conflict. INTPs aren't necessarily logical and INFPs aren't necessarily empathetic healer types. How'd you get the function order?

I think Jonnyboy is a 4w5 INTP also.
    Regardless, if you think INTP, go with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    I always thought more on the INFP side to be honest. I find it hard to believe one both prefers Ti and Fi near the same amount... I would think they would conflict. INTPs aren't necessarily logical and INFPs aren't necessarily empathetic healer types. How'd you get the function order?
    I took several cognitive function tests and determined that this is the most likely order. Here are my most recent results from the Keys2Cognition test:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ***** (5.7)
    unused
    introverted Sensing (Si) ***************************************** (41.1)
    excellent use
    extraverted Intuiting (Ne) **************************************** (40.2)
    excellent use
    introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************ (12.2)
    unused
    extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************** (22.6)
    limited use
    introverted Thinking (Ti) *********************************************** (47.9)
    excellent use
    extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********************** (23.7)
    limited use
    introverted Feeling (Fi) *********************************************** (47)
    excellent use

I think Jonnyboy is a 4w5 INTP also.
    Regardless, if you think INTP, go with it!
    Cool, I didn't know there were any others on TC.

Glycerine

Just to let you know. I just took the test and got:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
    extraverted Sensing (Se) ******** (8.9)
    unused
    introverted Sensing (Si) ********************************* (33.5)
    good use
    extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *********************************** (35.2)
    good use
    introverted Intuiting (Ni) *************************************** (39.3)
    excellent use
    extraverted Thinking (Te) **************************************** (40.5)
    excellent use
    introverted Thinking (Ti) *********************************** (35.2)
    good use
    extraverted Feeling (Fe) **************************** (28.3)
    average use
    introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************** (18.9)
    limited use

I am pretty sure the XNTJs would go "wtf" if I seriously asserted that I was XNTJ. The test is a good starting part but I doubt is very reliable to tell you what the function order is.
    @RevlisZero

Just to let you know. I just took the test and got:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
    extraverted Sensing (Se) ******** (8.9)
    unused
    introverted Sensing (Si) ********************************* (33.5)
    good use
    extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *********************************** (35.2)
    good use
    introverted Intuiting (Ni) *************************************** (39.3)
    excellent use
    extraverted Thinking (Te) **************************************** (40.5)
    excellent use
    introverted Thinking (Ti) *********************************** (35.2)
    good use
    extraverted Feeling (Fe) **************************** (28.3)
    average use
    introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************** (18.9)
    limited use

I am pretty sure the XNTJs would go "wtf" if I seriously asserted that I was XNTJ. The test is a good starting part but I doubt is very reliable to tell you what the function order is.
    @RevlisZero
    I don't find your results too unusual. Perhaps you have a weak J preference. Your results would fit for both NTJ and NTP, though slightly better for NTJ. Anyways, I agree that the function tests aren't perfect, which is why I'm not relying on that alone. However, considering my weak T preference, the results I got are actually quite accurate.