User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: ENTP or ENFP?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Guess View Post
    I checked the thread: it was pretty useful, though it seems like everyone came to the same conclusion I did; Fi and Ti are both used in very similar ways, and it's difficult to tell the difference. I liked the descriptions by Dr. J. H. van der Hoop; I'd say I think more like a Ti, but my emotional world is more Fi. I tend to get really philosophical, distrust emotional judgement over logic, and try to disregard emotions when making decisions, like a Ti user, but the description of an Fe user's emotional world described me a lot better in general, which is why I think it could actually be the function I'm using. The way I figure it, a person can, over time, change the way they think, but emotional patterns are much harder to control, and so are likely to be more honest. Also, I tend to be able to see how things make sense quite quickly, and so, a lot of my thoughts are directed toward giving things value; however, when something doesn't make sense, I immediately have to figure it out.
    From this, you sound like an ENTP. If you prefer logic and try to disregard your emotions when making decisions, that's definitely Ti. Having Ti instead of Fi doesn't mean that you're any less emotional. I would say that my emotional world is much like Fi as well. The difference is that a Fi user would actually use their feelings all the time in making decisions, so if you say you don't trust emotional judgement, you're not a Fi user.

MBTI
    ENTP

That makes a lot of sense; I was already beginning to lean toward my being an ENTP, but the main question in my mind isn't whether or not I trust emotional decisions, but whether or not I still end up using them. I've made a lot of decisions that wouldn't make sense from a logical standpoint, but were very emotionally involved. Most of these didn't end too well, which is why I don't trust my emotions, but I don't think I'd do things any differently, either.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

I've been interacting on and off on ENTP forums since '98, and you seem ENTP to me. But I'm not an expert.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    I've been interacting on and off on ENTP forums since '98, and you seem ENTP to me. But I'm not an expert.
    Hm. I'm also leaning towards ENTP, myself, just based on how it takes a bit of effort for me to think about the human or emotional element in a discussion or argument. I could be wrong, of course, but I'd say ENTP makes the most sense.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Sometimes ENTPs with well developed Fe can be mistaken for ENFPs, but after observing the differences in Ti-Fe and Fi-Te as demonstrated by how they argue/ debate/ discuss, it seems clearer to me now.

However, it also seems to me like some ENTPs (including myself) sometimes use Fi, which goes against theory, but I could be wrong.

MBTI
    ENTP

I don't think you are wrong: that was part of the reason I thought I might be ENFP, actually. I definitely have traits of an Fi user, so I don't think it's impossible that we do use it to some extent.

Your username also seems indicative of ENFP. Frankly, you remind me of another ENFP member, but much more mature, healthy, and developed.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Your username also seems indicative of ENFP. Frankly, you remind me of another ENFP member, but much more mature, healthy, and developed.
    Thanks, though I think I'd have to go with ENTP, myself. It's possible you're right, though; any ENFPs out there wanna throw in their two cents?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Guess View Post
    I don't think you are wrong: that was part of the reason I thought I might be ENFP, actually. I definitely have traits of an Fi user, so I don't think it's impossible that we do use it to some extent.
    Yeah, I think so. I don't think my lesser function preferences align with theory, either. It seems to me that while I primarily operate in Ne-Ti-Fe, I think there are also time when I seem to have Se, Fi, and Te, which are supposed to be way underdeveloped for ENTPs.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I'd say you're one of us, from the few posts I've seen.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”