• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

stab in the dark

kalevala

MBTI Type
I?FP
I'm still not sure what type I am! this is after something like a year of trying to figure it out. I know I'm I, and P. I'm decently sure I'm F too, but I'm not sure about the S/N divide. Sometimes I identify with things I read about INFPs, sometimes with ISFPs. Like, I identify more with N-ness than S-ness, but then when it comes down to choosing one specific type, I get stuck.

here's a summary of how I see myself:

Music is extremely important to me. When I really like a song, I internalize it deeply. Songs come into my head, and I'll start singing them to myself, and then a few seconds later I realize why that particular song occurred to me at that particular moment. Like, say I'm thinking about how I need to be more independent--then the song "army of me" by bjork pops into my head, and a minute later I go, oh yeah that totally reflects where I'm at right now. not sure how much that impacts my type, but music is definitely a big part of who I am. I like to make music, too...also, books--I do the same thing with books. there are a few books that are really important to me that I've internalized and now seem like part of reality to me. especially books that have a bit of a surreal edge, like ones by haruki murakami (favorite author).

oh, also, the poetry I write is really important to me. I like the idea of making art, but when it comes down to it I'm most comfortable using words instead of say paint to get my message/how I'm feeling across.

people are super important to me too. I tend to either be close to people or not talk to them much--there's not much in-between for me. I'm either close enough with someone to be able to confide in them, or I just don't really consider us friends. I do a lot better one-on-one than I do in groups--I need to feel like I can say anything I feel like saying and not be judged or laughed at, and that trust is easier to find when I'm just with one or two other people.

but yeah, high school has been hard for me, because I'm such an introvert, and I have so much social anxiety. It's hard for me to communicate at all when I don't have any privacy!

I get hurt so easily. I take things personally all the time. Sometimes I'm so surprised when I realize someone didn't mean to criticize me, when I thought they did. I get upset when people don't understand how deeply things affect me. I'm trying to work on this, though.

A big part of who I am--maybe the biggest part right now--is my depression and anxiety. I know those things aren't type-specific, but maybe the way I deal with them is? I tend to feel this great urge to talk about how I'm feeling. And there aren't many people I feel ok sharing that with, so it can be pretty tricky to manage that in the right way. I'll get this huge need to say something like "I absolutely want to die right now, but I know life is worth it no matter what, so I'm gonna keep trying". and I say that, and it helps a lot, just being able to say that. but at the same time I also isolate myself a lot as a result of my depression/anxiety. like this: I just went through a period of not seeing any of my friends for almost a month. and even though I know that's not going to help anything, I still have this tendency to cut myself off from the people I love--I make up reasons, like "oh they don't want to see me anyway" or "I don't want to make other people be around me when I feel like this". Basically when I'm going through a tough patch, I tend to shut down. that's something I need to work much harder against.

I really want to change who I am, and that's a big part of my identity too. I know more or less who I want to be, but sometimes I don't know how to get there, and that's frustrating. frustrating also is the fact that I don't know all that much about who I am right now. I need to change my life, not just who I am deep down. That's the thing I need to accept. I want to get back a certain feeling I've had before: a feeling of acceptance and light, of being basically ok with the way things are. I would kill for that feeling (well, not actually). that's what I'm living for right now--for trying to get that feeling, or whatever it is, back again. trying to get back in a good place, so I can live life and be a person again.

and I want to help people, too. I don't know how, exactly, but for now I'm starting by just sharing how I feel and trying to help other people who are going through what I've been through.

oh and let's see: here are some words I would use to describe myself. shy, kind, obsessive, endearing, clingy, convoluted, uplifting, anxious, awkward, funny, strange, smart, unconfident. I'm not sure how clearly I'm able to see myself, but yeah.

anyway, hopefully that gives you an idea of what kind of person I am, and of what type I might be.

so indulge me, if you will. what type do I sound like?

I know the MBTI isn't perfect, or a solution for life, or anything like that. but I want to be able to understand myself better...and I thought some outside input would be helpful. thanks to anyone who replies to this post!

oh and this is pretty much my first post here, so also: hi everyone!!! :)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hello! I think highschool is a hard time for a whole lot of people- there are other people in your school going through something similar, and you may never know, because they could be introverted too, you may not even know who they are. (I know that probably didn't help.)

Regarding N or S, I can't tell with this description- it is specific to both isfp and infp.

kalevala

MBTI Type
I?FP
Hello! I think highschool is a hard time for a whole lot of people- there are other people in your school going through something similar, and you may never know, because they could be introverted too, you may not even know who they are. (I know that probably didn't help.)

Regarding N or S, I can't tell with this description- it is specific to both isfp and infp.

hey :) yeah, high school's probably not the best time to be invested in type theory. I fall into the trap of analyzing myself way too much, which makes figuring out who I am a lot harder. lol yeah I know a healthy number of introverts :)

after reading some on this forum about different types' experiences I feel more isfp than infp...I identify with a lot of isfp things I've seen. I feel like if I were an infp i'd be much more certain in my views?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hey :) yeah, high school's probably not the best time to be invested in type theory. I fall into the trap of analyzing myself way too much, which makes figuring out who I am a lot harder. lol yeah I know a healthy number of introverts :)

after reading some on this forum about different types' experiences I feel more isfp than infp...I identify with a lot of isfp things I've seen. I feel like if I were an infp i'd be much more certain in my views?

Actually, a lot of the INFP's here change their type and opinions a lot, they see a lot of different perspectives on things and so they can change their mind easily.

T

ThatGirl

Do you just type everyone XXXX? That is a coveted type, not to be thrown around lightly.

T

ThatGirl

No I have a method. I think you are an ISFP with a well developed intutive thinking judging side. is that so hard to believe?

Yes, that makes no sense. So basically you are flipping someone inside out and calling them a distorted version of the type you just created. Brilliant strategy.

amerellis

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4/9
I'm not saying you're distorted. Anyway, you have your type as XNTJ. X because your clearly not an E but you relate more to ENTJs. how could that be . .. .

T

ThatGirl

As the master of XXXX I thought you would be aware that X means neither E NOR I. All it means is the two first functions are equally dominant. I was recently typed ENTJ by others, so I don't know where you are getting that I would self relate to the ENTJ personality type the most.

Besides, this whole argument is chicken or the egg. Though through extensive self knowledge I can pretty much guarantee, you have it backwards. I am not really sure how you can even argue against something like that on the limited knowledge you have.

Either way, you clearly don't know how to type.

amerellis

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4/9
Either way, you clearly don't know how to type.

Actually, I do. I have Aspergers and have gift for seeing patterns in things and I have devised a method to identify people's true types. You remind me of Suzanne Collins, author of the Hunger Games, who is also an ISFP with well developed NT. Anyway, you don't have to believe me.
And btw, to me X doesn't mean both it means neither, 'unknown.' That's how I'm using it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
What do you think my type is, out of curiousity?

T

ThatGirl

....Jesus.

I hadn't realized people with Aspergers had supreme typing skills. Patterns aren't origin.

At any rate, you remind me of people who don't know how to type.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
so indulge me, if you will. what type do I sound like?

I know the MBTI isn't perfect, or a solution for life, or anything like that. but I want to be able to understand myself better...and I thought some outside input would be helpful. thanks to anyone who replies to this post!

oh and this is pretty much my first post here, so also: hi everyone!!! :)

Hey there. Your title says N =)

Try answering these questions:

1) Do you remember events as snapshots of what actually happened?
2) Do you solve problems by working through facts until you understand the problem?
3) Are you pragmatic and look to the “bottom line?”
4) Do you start with facts and then form a big picture?
5) Do you trust experience first and trust words and symbols less?
6) Do you Sometimes pay so much attention to facts, either present or past, that you miss new possibilities?

All of the above lead to S.

1) Do you remember events by what you read “between the lines” about their meaning?
2) Do you solve problems by leaping between different ideas and possibilities.
3) Are you interested in doing things that are new and different?
4) Do you first see the big picture, then to find out the facts?
5) Do you trust impressions, symbols, and metaphors more than what you actually experienced?
6) Do you sometimes think so much about new possibilities that you never know how to make them a reality?

All of these lean more N.

Your post vibes N to me, but I've been wrong before.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
ooo amerellis, DO me Do me! What is my type? lol