User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questionnaire answers inside - Confident that I'm 5w4 but am not sure of my Type

Enneagram
    5w4

Lightbulb Questionnaire answers inside - Confident that I'm 5w4 but am not sure of my Type

Like the title says, I'm confident that I'm a 5w4. Did an Enneagram test yesterday and here are my results:

You are most likely a type 5.
    Taking wings into account, you seem to be a 5w4.

Type 5 – 9.7
    Type 4 – 7
    Type 6 – 6
    Type 9 – 5.7
    Type 2 – 5.7

Wing 5w4 – 13.2
    Wing 5w6 – 12.7
    Wing 4w5 – 11.9
    Wing 6w5 – 10.9
    Wing 4w3 – 9.2
    Wing 2w3 – 7.9
    Wing 6w7 – 7.4
    Wing 2w1 – 7.1
    Wing 9w1 – 7.1
    Wing 9w8 – 6.6

Looks like the following questionnaire is pretty popular here (and it looked like fun) so I thought it'd be a good idea to try it myself.

1. What are 5 key qualities about you, and what is each of their direct opposites?

Example: “I am nice. The opposite of that would be cruel.”

A. I am curious, inquisitive and eager to learn. The opposite of that would be someone who is braindead or doesn’t appreciate their ability to learn.

B. I am nice and respectful. The opposite of that would be rude.

C. I don’t like the idea of being average, but I am modest. The opposite of that would be someone who boasts their own achievements instead of letting others decide for themselves…and someone who is flamboyant and materialistic.

D. I am open-minded and adventurous at heart. The opposite of that would be an unwillingness to try something new (a cuisine, or activity, etc.) due to unfamiliarity.

E. I’m avoidant and I question my own competence/abilities a lot. The opposite of this would be a confident, carefree and all-round successful person.

2. Now explain why each of the opposites COULD be you and why it might be GOOD to be that opposite characteristic. Own them even if they are negative traits.
    Example: “I am nice. The opposite of that would be cruel. I guess I can be cruel because I never tip waiters. Tipping waiters encourages them to stay at these jobs ‘….’”

A. I guess I can be uninterested in learning sometimes when I don’t care about something enough or when I’m lazy. To be honest, it’s relaxing to not be asking questions or thinking all the time.
    B. I can be disrespectful to my own family at time because I’m comfortable enough with them to not wear the smiley mask I often don in public…even though I know they deserve the same friendly treatment I gives strangers…and more. It could be good to show this side of me to others as it means I’m being honest with how I feel.

C. I guess I contradict my own modesty when I think of myself as some special human being who doesn’t belong with “everybody else” even when there are many who feel just as lost. Being too modest may also lead a person to become invisible or ‘skimmed over’ for others who know how to show their strengths.

D. I am sometimes unwilling to try something if it goes against an important value/principle or something that makes me feel extremely awkward. This is good because it saves me from discomfort.

E. It would be nice to not hide my feelings due to fear of embarrassment, and to be truly confident about myself and my chances at everything. Despite possible rejections and failure, this attitude would save me a lot of regrets and successes.

3. What would you say to a 5-year-old child if he or she asked you what the purpose of life is?

The purpose of life is to understand that you’re a small part of this universe. But even so, you should learn as much as you can and remain truly humble. And also, even though you may feel misunderstood or alone, appreciate those who love you.

4. What type of advice would you give that same child on how to survive in this world?

You have to respect yourself and not give up what you believe in because everyone disagrees. As long as you know, accept and seek to improve who you are, you will go through life peacefully and see it as a big adventure.

7. What do you really want in your truest self?

I want to be so confident, competent and content that I’ll stop comparing myself with people who are younger, smarter, more beautiful, more popular, and more happy.
    Though I may deny it and say it’s not important to me, I think I want someone I can truly share everything with. I definitely don’t trust anyone enough, but must admit that going through life without a special someone does get lonely. Funnily enough, I have a very easy time shoving this desire aside.

8. What have you substituted/settled for compared to what you really want?

I have settled for being someone who second-guesses all the time and believes that there is always someone more competent for a job I want, or more compatible with a guy I like. As a result, I am currently very much alone (with no relationship experience) and lacking confidence.

9. What are your defense mechanisms?
    Sometimes people don’t realize what their true defense mechanisms are because they are working at 100% efficiency. You may have to really think about this one.
    Another way to look at the question:
    When you start to feel uncomfortable or anxious about a situation, what do you generally start to do?

If it’s a social or relationship-based situation, I retreat and avoid. Acting nonchalant is a strength of mine. Sometimes I play down the importance of my feelings to the point where I question their validity…and sometimes (only when I’m alone) I let my feelings swell up to crazy rawness.
    If it’s something I have some control over (like appealing a fine), I immediately get to work researching and trying to best justify my case. Get it over and done with. (On the other hand, I procrastinate with things that don’t worry me too much).

10. What are some good habits that are needed for living a healthy adult life?

Balance and understanding your priorities. I’ve noticed that sometimes when my work is going well, something will happen in my family that brings everything back into perspective. There are many dimensions and focuses in life that we should try to be aware of always and not neglect.

11. What are you like in relaxed and non-threatening situations?

I’m child-like, agreeable and flexible to the point where I’d just shrug and say, “Oh well, we took a 1-hour wrong turn but at least that was good exercise!” When I’m with people I’m comfortable-enough with, I readily verbalise my off-the-wall observations and comments, many of which are random and get pauses from others. It’s best when I’m with those who can play off what I think and say and add something.

18. Which do you trust the most in making an important decision between your head, body, and heart? Why?

Head. I trust my head more than my heart. I think I’m in tune with my feelings but sometimes they get very strong and I know I must bring them back to a level I can control and reason with. Some examples are that my heart can make me want to take the next plane to somewhere or to admit how I feel for someone – but I (and with the help of another person, sometimes) must consider the consequences of such rash emotions as they aren’t always practical or reasonable.

19. Which do you trust the least in making an important decision between your head, body, and heart? Why?

Body. I’m trying hard to think of why my body would matter in decision-making. I’m healthy and hardy enough for it not to be an inhibiting factor…at least I hope so.

20. What is your predominant fault?

Hiding myself. There is a side of me that honestly does not care what people think and has no desire to do what is expected/follow the norm. I study what I want and I follow my own interests and I’m proud to define myself with those. Then there’s another side (deep, deep, deep down) that wants to belong, be ‘normal’ and be open to relationships. But apart from being pleasant, friendly and helpful in public, I don’t really try to fit in for the sake of it. I don’t want people to think I’m trying too hard. I’m too comfortable being alone to develop close relationships with others.

At the moment, I prefer to observe everything (relationships, emotional highs, risks) instead of participating in them myself.
    I believe that once I let myself out of my shell, everything else (my confidence in my abilities and ability to connect with others) will sort itself out.

24. What things do you feel you cannot do because they might jeopardize your survival?

I can not be totally open about myself and my feelings to others because I don’t want to be vulnerable or rejected.

I have to keep learning because this provides me with a purpose in life as well as a sense of self. My curiosity is one thing I am truly proud of.

I must be independent. I can not afford to rely on/be dependent on someone who may easily move on to another once they get bored/grow tired of me.

25. What do you need in your life to face your fears?

To know that at the end of it, I'll still respect and be proud of myself.

26. What is your own personal mission statement?

Don’t ever be complacent or jaded because there is always so much to learn.

I would like to be someone who is wise, who understands how the world works, knows a bit about everything and is admired for being my own person.

I would like to be involved in activities/something I respect such as history, culture, mystery and creativity.

Well, those are my answers. They don't reveal all of who I am so if you have any questions regarding cognitive functions, please ask them and I'll do my best to help you type me.

Banned Array
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

5w4 is definite, no doubt about that.

As for JCF type, I'm tired as hell and can't think of anything aside from introvert, so instead here's a nifty test:

http://www.keys2cognition.com/explore.htm

Also, welcome to the forums

Enneagram
    5w4

Thanks for the welcome, Savage! I've had a lot of trouble with assigning myself an MBTI so it's a relief to be confident of my enneagram type (and with you agreeing).

To anyone who has the time to read my answers, what Myers-Briggs type/s do you think I am? We can go into cognitive functions later if that's too much too soon.

And thanks for the link to that functions test! I've done it but would like to hear opinions on my answers above before showing my results.

Banned Array
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Sure thing always good to make sure that the newcomers feel welcome.

MBTI wise, I think that you could be INFP or ENFP (although other types are certainly possible).

You're welcome Go ahead and post the results whenever you feel ready; definitely a good idea to get type feedback first, then reveal the results of a quiz rather than vice versa.

Wow, Vizzy, you sound EXACTLY like me on every single question! Based on your answers I would say you seem most like an INFP.

And welcome to typology central. I'm new here too

Enneagram
    5w4

Thanks for the replies, Sav and Rev...and wow, 2 votes for INFP. Welcome to you too, Revlis.

Is there also a possibility that I'm an INTP? I guess I'm one of those who bounce between the two types. I often make decisions based on factors (such as cost) that override how I feel and what I want...and as a result am pretty good at dissuading myself from temptations (I'm great at saving money) or shoving my feelings aside.
    I'd be happy to answer questions to help you decide which way I lean.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I think enneagram 5w4 seems pretty much on target.

As far as F/T, I'd suggest reading up on Ti and Fi (there are some decent threads on other forums), and also Fi vs Fe and Ti vs Te... just to see if you identify with some of those more than others.

One thing I'd like to hear about is your relationship to your emotions. Are they valuable input to your decision making process, or are they more of a distraction? Are you aware of your emotions in real time, or do you figure out you were angry or upset after the fact? How aware are you of your emotions, and do you experience your emotions as multilayered with many subtle variations or more singly (whatever the intensity)?

How do you feel about and react to "inappropriate" emotions (both your own and in people around you)? How do you feel about social obligations and expectations? How aware are you of group dynamics? How about the emotional state of individuals?

When a friend is suffering, do you tend to offer advice? If so, what kind of advice?

Also, how highly do you rate the importance of intent vs. correctness?

Enneagram
    5w4

I really appreciate those questions, Seymour.

I’ve done a lot of reading about Fi vs Fe and Ti vs Te and here is what I’ve observed of myself:

Fi vs Fe:
    I’m very reserved and divulge incredibly little of myself to others, but I try to maintain a smiley and almost bubbly persona with friends and colleagues. I don’t change who I am on the inside for others or conform for the sake of it but I do make sure that on the outside, I’m pleasant and friendly enough. In emails and text messages, I make an effort not to come across as blunt or rude. I strive for integrity, but being polite and respectful to others is also important in my daily interaction with others.
    Despite my attempts to see the difference between these two functions, I still can’t understand how or why they are mutually exclusive…if my understanding of Fi and Fe is correct. Perhaps it’s because I can detach from my social ‘mask’ that I don’t believe I’m betraying myself when my chameleon side takes over.
    Then again, I question the potency of my Fe. If I am an INTP, the inferior Fe would explain why I’m so hesitant to really connect with others.

Ti vs Te:
    This is simpler. I relate to Ti more than Te. Organizing people and carrying out plans (unless it’s part of my work) is something I’m not bothered with and prefer to leave to others. My Ti is exercised a lot more. Much of it is collecting information, research, trying to understand reasons for this and that. I have no need to organise any of it or to fit them into neat boxes and would actually prefer not to.

One thing I'd like to hear about is your relationship to your emotions. Are they valuable input to your decision making process, or are they more of a distraction?

Are you aware of your emotions in real time, or do you figure out you were angry or upset after the fact?

As far as I know, I’m aware of my emotions in real time, but may not always immediately understand the reasons behind them.

How aware are you of your emotions, and do you experience your emotions as multilayered with many subtle variations or more singly (whatever the intensity)?

I’ve been thinking about this one all day and must admit that it’s the latter. I always thought of myself as being in tune with my emotions but recently came to the realisation of how emotionally immature I actually am. I experience my emotions more singly. Most of the time, I’m in a detached mood where there are lots of thoughts running in my mind but feelings are like a plateau. But when I get really impatient (at a late train for example), I stamp my feet and have a hissy fit while everybody seems to have the self-control to stay calm. When I’m angry, I’m furious to a point where I don’t even try to hide it. When I allow myself dwell on sadness, I sob like a baby. These situations don’t happen often but when they do, I’m convinced I have problems, whether anger or depression.
    How are “multilayered with many subtle variations” experienced in comparison? I’m not even completely sure of the difference.

How do you feel about and react to "inappropriate" emotions (both your own and in people around you)?

Depends on what you mean by “inappropriate emotions”. If a married man/woman betrays their partner by developing feelings for another, I would hope for them to just discard those feelings. Also, I’m annoyed by unnecessarily ridiculous displays of emotions where the person appears to be doing it for attention. In such situations, if I don’t sympathise, I merely roll my eyes go out of my way to NOT give them that attention.
    If it’s an inappropriate emotion on my part…it depends. If I’m too angry to hide it, I hope people just ignore me and let me be. If I like someone I shouldn’t, I convince myself not feel that way and will try to bury it.

How do you feel about social obligations and expectations?

I’m pretty poor in this area. I say my “Thank yous” and “Sorrys” and am polite. There are some things I’m terrible at though, such as the whole “How are you?” greeting. When people ask me that, I simply smile and say “Good” to get it out of the way…and if I’m feeling cheeky, then my answer is “Freezing” or something that will get a spontaneous response. This is one of many rehearsed social obligations I don’t see the point of.

How aware are you of group dynamics?

In a work environment, I mostly just do my own work and don’t notice much about how people relate to each other in groups.
    But in a more general sense, I am interested in the (often sheep-like) mentality of people in crowds and clubs, and how one person can affect everyone else. Social experiments and studies in this area are fascinating.

How about the emotional state of individuals?

I don’t really delve too deeply into another person’s emotions. Perhaps I lack real empathy… I do wonder and ask what/how people are feeling, but mostly in a data-gathering sense.

When a friend is suffering, do you tend to offer advice? If so, what kind of advice?

If a friend is suffering from other problems I may or may not have experience in, I’ll ask questions and make sure the problem is something that deserves their worrying in the first place. I tend to offer advice in a very matter-of-fact way and help them put things into perspective. If the situation is a death, then I don’t think I have the right to offer advice. I do offer myself as someone who will listen…and let them know they can reach out to me.

I'll need some time to think about your last question.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzy View Post
    I really appreciate those questions, Seymour.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer them! I'm answering this as an INFP who thinks he's a 5w4... I'd be curious to get reads from INTPs and other INFPs. Both types can be very idiosyncratic and quirky, since they aren't amazingly socially conforming on the whole.

I’ve done a lot of reading about Fi vs Fe and Ti vs Te and here is what I’ve observed of myself:

Fi vs Fe:
    I’m very reserved and divulge incredibly little of myself to others, but I try to maintain a smiley and almost bubbly persona with friends and colleagues. I don’t change who I am on the inside for others or conform for the sake of it but I do make sure that on the outside, I’m pleasant and friendly enough. In emails and text messages, I make an effort not to come across as blunt or rude. I strive for integrity, but being polite and respectful to others is also important in my daily interaction with others.
    Despite my attempts to see the difference between these two functions, I still can’t understand how or why they are mutually exclusive…if my understanding of Fi and Fe is correct. Perhaps it’s because I can detach from my social ‘mask’ that I don’t believe I’m betraying myself when my chameleon side takes over.
    Then again, I question the potency of my Fe. If I am an INTP, the inferior Fe would explain why I’m so hesitant to really connect with others.

Ti vs Te:
    This is simpler. I relate to Ti more than Te. [...]
    I identify with much of the above. I tend not to expose much of myself to others (although I've gotten better at it over time). I feel a similar need to be honest and have integrity, yet be polite and upbeat.

I don't find Ti and Fi to be that conflicty, personally... and feel more aversion to Te rather than Ti. So I sympathize with you there.

As far as I know, I’m aware of my emotions in real time, but may not always immediately understand the reasons behind them.
    INFPs, too, sometimes need post processing to figure out the reasons behind their emotions, so I don't think that's definitive one way or the other.

How aware are you of your emotions, and do you experience your emotions as multilayered with many subtle variations or more singly (whatever the intensity)?

I’ve been thinking about this one all day and must admit that it’s the latter. I always thought of myself as being in tune with my emotions but recently came to the realisation of how emotionally immature I actually am. I experience my emotions more singly. Most of the time, I’m in a detached mood where there are lots of thoughts running in my mind but feelings are like a plateau. But when I get really impatient (at a late train for example), I stamp my feet and have a hissy fit while everybody seems to have the self-control to stay calm. When I’m angry, I’m furious to a point where I don’t even try to hide it. When I allow myself dwell on sadness, I sob like a baby. These situations don’t happen often but when they do, I’m convinced I have problems, whether anger or depression.
    How are “multilayered with many subtle variations” experienced in comparison? I’m not even completely sure of the difference.
    I don't think emotional volatility is particularly Ti/Fi... I think it's independent of either. Dwelling on emotion and intensifying it I relate to e4, so that would fit with your enneagram wing.

At least some INFPs tend to experience their emotions as almost always mixed, with subtle variations. So, if someone asks me what my mood is, it would more than a word or two to answer honestly. My emotional state is always somewhat mixed, and it changes moment to moment as my thoughts and the environment around me change. I kind of use it as an internal barometer as I go throughout my day. My relationships to people and objects almost have a kind of "emotional signature" that I associate with whomever. This perception was more pronounced when I was younger, but some of it still exists.

Still, the above might not be true for every INFP.

How do you feel about and react to "inappropriate" emotions (both your own and in people around you)?

Depends on what you mean by “inappropriate emotions”. If a married man/woman betrays their partner by developing feelings for another, I would hope for them to just discard those feelings. Also, I’m annoyed by unnecessarily ridiculous displays of emotions where the person appears to be doing it for attention. In such situations, if I don’t sympathise, I merely roll my eyes go out of my way to NOT give them that attention.

If it’s an inappropriate emotion on my part…it depends. If I’m too angry to hide it, I hope people just ignore me and let me be. If I like someone I shouldn’t, I convince myself not feel that way and will try to bury it.
    This sounds more Ti than Fi to me. Fi-doms usually (if not always) tend to see their emotions as a fundamental part of their reality that has to be worked with and through. Emotions may be inconvenient, but they never exist without a reason and have their own logic. Over time, we learn to understand the causes and whys, and that enabled us to have a fair amount of control (but never absolute control) over our emotional state.

When we are upset, we often drop everything to tend to our emotional state. Since we use our emotions as a lens, have it clouded by internal upset makes it difficult to function.

How do you feel about social obligations and expectations?

I’m pretty poor in this area. I say my “Thank yous” and “Sorrys” and am polite. There are some things I’m terrible at though, such as the whole “How are you?” greeting. When people ask me that, I simply smile and say “Good” to get it out of the way…and if I’m feeling cheeky, then my answer is “Freezing” or something that will get a spontaneous response. This is one of many rehearsed social obligations I don’t see the point of.
    Sounds slightly more Ti to me, but Fi-doms often take issue with that... since of course people usually don't really want to hear about how one is in detail.

How aware are you of group dynamics?

In a work environment, I mostly just do my own work and don’t notice much about how people relate to each other in groups.
    But in a more general sense, I am interested in the (often sheep-like) mentality of people in crowds and clubs, and how one person can affect everyone else. Social experiments and studies in this area are fascinating.
    Sounds slightly more Ti to me.

How about the emotional state of individuals?

I don’t really delve too deeply into another person’s emotions. Perhaps I lack real empathy… I do wonder and ask what/how people are feeling, but mostly in a data-gathering sense.
    Sounds more INTP to me.

If a friend is suffering from other problems I may or may not have experience in, I’ll ask questions and make sure the problem is something that deserves their worrying in the first place. I tend to offer advice in a very matter-of-fact way and help them put things into perspective. If the situation is a death, then I don’t think I have the right to offer advice. I do offer myself as someone who will listen…and let them know they can reach out to me.
    Sounds more Ti to me. INFPs tend to empathize and support first, and try to clarify what the personal really feels and believes. Our advice tends not to be the most matter of fact... sometimes we tend towards "do what you feel/know is right" and the like.

I'll need some time to think about your last question.
    I look forward to hearing your reply.

Enneagram
    5w4

No, thank YOU for bothering to ask questions in the first place.

As you said, it would be interesting to get opinions from INTPs too. But it certainly is helpful to see how my answers relate to INFPs.

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    At least some INFPs tend to experience their emotions as almost always mixed, with subtle variations. So, if someone asks me what my mood is, it would more than a word or two to answer honestly. My emotional state is always somewhat mixed, and it changes moment to moment as my thoughts and the environment around me change. I kind of use it as an internal barometer as I go throughout my day. My relationships to people and objects almost have a kind of "emotional signature" that I associate with whomever. This perception was more pronounced when I was younger, but some of it still exists.
    When people ask what your mood is, are you able (or do you feel the need) to elaborate or at least give an descriptive answer? When I get asked how I feel, I usually just manage a "Meh, I'm alright" or one-word answers that I give merely for the sake of giving a reply.

What you said about an "emotional signature" in your relationships with various people is interesting. Out of curiosity, would you mind elaborating on that a bit?

Fi-doms usually (if not always) tend to see their emotions as a fundamental part of their reality that has to be worked with and through. Emotions may be inconvenient, but they never exist without a reason and have their own logic. Over time, we learn to understand the causes and whys, and that enabled us to have a fair amount of control (but never absolute control) over our emotional state.

When we are upset, we often drop everything to tend to our emotional state. Since we use our emotions as a lens, have it clouded by internal upset makes it difficult to function.
    I accept that there are always reasons behind emotions although they mightn't be valid everytime. Rather than drop everything and fix my attention on my emotional state, I'm more likely to push it aside...and eventually it fades away. By the time I have the time to analyze the reasoning behind it, my interest is on something else. I do try, though. When I do take the time to wallow in my feelings, it's quite therapeutic.

Sounds more Ti to me. INFPs tend to empathize and support first, and try to clarify what the personal really feels and believes. Our advice tends not to be the most matter of fact... sometimes we tend towards "do what you feel/know is right" and the like.
    This is also very interesting. ...the idea of empathizing and offering support before understanding the situation. What if the person is overreacting? What if the situation isn't as bad as he/she thinks? On the other hand, I understand there are times where I'm so upset, I just want someone to comfort and cry with me. Surely everyone has "this isn't the best time for advice!" moments. But if you're asking how I'd offer advice if it was asked for, I'd start by getting all the details.

As for your intent vs correctness question, could you please elaborate on that a tad more? (Sorry - I'm always asking for elaboration.)