• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

type whoring (3w4 or 8w9 yes yes yes it's that kind of boring title)

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ignore my signature, it's there to look nice and complete.

I question my motivations. So yar I don't know if I'm 3w4 or 8w9.

skylights said:
the difference to me is that 3 has two tangible levels, and inner and an outer. the outer is not concerned, but the inner is concerned. it is vulnerable. the outside is a veneer. the inside only is self, what they want to be. the outside is what they think they should be.

8 has one level. it vulnerable, because it is pure self. it is what they want to be. there is no layer of what others think they should be, even though there might be a shell of protection from harm. it's like if you walk barefoot often, the skin on the soles of your feet becomes harder. they are still your feet, bare and pure, but they have developed protection.

whereas 3 wears a shoe. a very nice, carefully chosen, representative shoe. but it is not the true foot. in the case of 3w4, it's going to be a shoe that is chosen to match the wearer's personal interests. its colors and patterns will all be representative of the self. it will reflect who the wearer is and wants to be. the 3w2 shoe will be more trendy, more suited to the environment.

in terms of feeling people, 3s are more glossy. 8s are more powerful. a 3 can be dominant but the inner layer is tangible when you get to know them, and sometimes it shows in how they are hurt when the self is insulted. a 3 might get angry outwardly when hurt, but inside they get sad. they may also get angry because someone made them feel that sadness they try so hard to deny. you can often see that. an 8 may get sad about other things in life, but they will rarely get sad about their self, because they are already being who they want to be. they will get angry, instead, when others hurt them. they may get sad about the relationship or the general state of things, but they will not lament their self because it is already being extraverted. the 3 will lament the self.

8's problem is that they are too concerned with what they want to be; 3's that they are too concerned with what they should be. 8 will sacrifice what could be for the extraversion of the self - they alter their environments to make room for themselves, but they have to steel their self because they are doing that. 8's problem is that his callus gets so hard that he sometimes cannot even feel the ground.

for a 3w4, it will not be very clear that the "should" comes from anywhere but the self (and it does come from the self), but it is often an inner manifestation of external values. a 3w4 friend of mine has been trying to make his father proud for years and years, even though it usually appears that he is unconcerned with what most others think. except, that is, when he himself chooses and values a person - he is very concerned, for example, about what his mentors think of him. he hand-picked them because they are representatives of what he wants to become. 3's problem is that the shoe is not him. his foot has rarely felt the pure joy of feeling the ground, even though sometimes the sole is thin enough that he thinks he knows.

so they are similar, 3 and 8, because they both have the problem of not being able to feel the ground. they're both overly assertive and egocentric, they both can accidentally trample others as they deny their feelings. but they can't feel the ground for very different reasons - the 8 puts the true self out there and then is forced to protect - and protects it too much - while the 3 hides the self.

i know more about 3s than 8s in general, though.

here is this, from enneagraminsititute, as well. i think they place an overemphasis on public acclaim for 3s that will be more readily related to by 3w2 than 3w4. 3w4 only cares about the opinions of those they handpick.

I go into an existential depression during the mid-year and I go on and on about how they GHEY community is sooo superficial and then I go into a downward spiral about I am ugly, how I'm fat <insert negative adjective here> yada yada yada.

I don't know if I wear a shoe or I walk barefoot. I am one of the best students in my class but I don't know why I am so good. I know I'm smart, I know I have work ethic and I can speak well. I don't what is the motivation behind this behavior.

And no, don't give me "oh 3s are like this this this and 8s are this this this". I want to really know the motivation behind these types and relate this back to my original type me threads.

I've got like, 3 of them.

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...-i-ve-done-limit-s-questionnaire-3-times.html

http://www.personalitynation.com/members-only-observatory/3750-typing-uwace-take-3-enneagram.html

http://www.personalitynation.com/archives/4413-loopholes-typing-self.html

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My question is this: Everytime someone has this much trouble typing themselves, why does it always have something to do with 3? :laugh:

bionic

Permabanned
Ignore my signature, it's there to look nice and complete.

I question my motivations. So yar I don't know if I'm 3w4 or 8w9.

I go into an existential depression during the mid-year and I go on and on about how they GHEY community is sooo superficial and then I go into a downward spiral about I am ugly, how I'm fat <insert negative adjective here> yada yada yada.

I don't know if I wear a shoe or I walk barefoot. I am one of the best students in my class but I don't know why I am so good. I know I'm smart, I know I have work ethic and I can speak well. I don't what is the motivation behind this behavior.

And no, don't give me "oh 3s are like this this this and 8s are this this this". I want to really know the motivation behind these types and relate this back to my original type me threads.

I've got like, 3 of them.

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...-i-ve-done-limit-s-questionnaire-3-times.html

http://www.personalitynation.com/members-only-observatory/3750-typing-uwace-take-3-enneagram.html

http://www.personalitynation.com/archives/4413-loopholes-typing-self.html

Ask DarkestHour, seriously. He's wonderful at typing people.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My question is this: Everytime someone has this much trouble typing themselves, why does it always have something to do with 3? :laugh:

Because 3s are posers >:3

Chloe

based on ur answers in my thread bout 8s id say definTely 8, bc as 3w4 really coukdnt relate to what were u saying (besides from experiences with other 8s)

good observation of when someones is unsure of their type - always has to do with 3 hahaha. I guess many P 3s mistype as something else.

Nomenclature

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
3w2
Or 6. Or 9. I imagine people in types of that whole triangle don't want to admit it at first, not to mention that the fixation on being good at what you do is rather vague. Oh, and 3's like talking about themselves.

Although I will point out an applicable lurking cultural factor-- that when the offspring of Asian parents have anger issues, it tends to be because of the pressure to be the ideal child and to conform to their collective values.

I remember when the psych asked my parents, "What is [she] like?" and they had no idea how to answer, other than "She gets angry really easily" lmfao. I can't fucking stand my mom. Redundant, no sense of logic, scared of everything, nosy. If murder wasn't illegal, she'd be dead.

It's easy to say "that's what moms do" if you haven't ever been the subject of her paranoia. I've seriously had friends tell me to call Social Services. But my point is that your anger could be based on a series of triggers related only to certain people (or a certain person), not a core fixation on anger.

My main mission in life is to be successful. It's not so much about the sake of success, it's the life that comes with success. I don't want to live like how my parents put me up in because it seems that money is the only way to actually have a livelihood in this capitalist based economy.
Sounds 3 SP to me.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Or 6. Or 9. I imagine people in types of that whole triangle don't want to admit it at first, not to mention that the fixation on being good at what you do is rather vague. Oh, and 3's like talking about themselves.

Although I will point out an applicable lurking cultural factor-- that when the offspring of Asian parents have anger issues, it tends to be because of the pressure to be the ideal child and to conform to their collective values.

I remember when the psych asked my parents, "What is [she] like?" and they had no idea how to answer, other than "She gets angry really easily" lmfao. I can't fucking stand my mom. Redundant, no sense of logic, scared of everything, nosy. If murder wasn't illegal, she'd be dead.

It's easy to say "that's what moms do" if you haven't ever been the subject of her paranoia. I've seriously had friends tell me to call Social Services. But my point is that your anger could be based on a series of triggers related only to certain people (or a certain person), not a core fixation on anger.

Sounds 3 SP to me.

OMG YESH. I seriously don't give a fuck when it comes to upholding values or whatever BS. Now that I come to think about it, only one person (or 2) is where my anger is directed; with everyone else I can put up a face because I know that what they're doing now does not compare to what my parents did and it's not worth to rage.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
7 replies only? I want more discussion :(