• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ or INFJ

ahriman

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5W4
Hi I'm new to this board so I thought I'd start off with an important question for myself. Iv'e done numerous tests to determine my MBTI personality type and it always comes up with INTJ. 90% of the characteristics I read apply to me however there are a few which seem at odds with my personality.

1. INTJ's are supposed to be emotionless or at least display far less emotion than other types. Although on the outside I'm emotionless particularly in public settings, in private or with someone I trust (e.g my girlfriend) I can be quite emotional particularly when my plans or ideas don't come to fruition. The most common feeling being anger and despair because something didn't go my way. Yet once I have confided in that person or reflected on events I bounce back with confidence. When I have a strong opinion on something and someone disagrees with me I initially tend to get angry although I only show a small measure of my anger in public.

2. INTJ's are not supposed to be touchy feely. This is very true for 99% of the people I'm around. The one exception are the people I'm in intimate relationships with. I'm very touchy feely with my girlfriend but only when I know I can trust her in openly showing emotion.

Any thought's on this?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Determine whether you have Fe/Ti or Te/Fi. Those are my thoughts.

ahriman

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5W4
I was thinking the same thing. I think the very first time I took the test I was INFJ but all other tests concluded INTJ which was about 8 times.

ahriman

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5W4
Interestingly I become extremely self confident when I'm angered and care little for what anyone thinks. A lot of people are stunned that I'm shy and tend not to put forth my opinions too often and just simply observe in the background but become totally opposite when I'm pissed off.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
That emotional stuff could be your tertiary Fi :)

And, no, INTJs are far from 'emotionless', even when they might appear to be so on the surface. They're actually 'gooey on the inside' :tongue:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was thinking the same thing. I think the very first time I took the test I was INFJ but all other tests concluded INTJ which was about 8 times.

Look at this: http://www.erictb.info/archetypes.html

If you scroll down it lays out the difference between an IxFJ and IxTJ throughout the functions in a straight-forward and easy to understand manner.

I have a friend who has been identifying as ISFJ for the longest time but scored very high on Si/Fi on functions tests instead of Si/Fe, and also seemed to be displaying characteristics of Fi rather than Fe.

He is an ISTJ who uses so much Fi it makes him show up as ISFJ in the four dichotomies, and the Beebe archetypes totally cinches it.

Same with Lenore Thomson, if you're absolutely positive you're Ni dom, I think both Beebe and Lenore are some of the easiest ways to identify your judging functions.

I was the opposite at one point, I become crystal clear on having Fi/Te but had to determine Ne/Si or Se/Ni.

I swear by the function models as the best way to type people.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

And, no, INTJs are far from 'emotionless', even when they might appear to be so on the surface. They're actually 'gooey on the inside' :tongue:

Oh yeah this too the soft inner core, the carefully protected emo. IxTJs have this, and it actually sounds like what he's describing in the OP.

ahriman

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5W4
This.

It's worth giving a cognitive functions test a go too (though online tests will only take you so far). Try this one.

Also, I see you're from Sydney. Hi and welcome. :hi:

Hi thanks. I took that test and got the same result: INTJ

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************ (12.1) unused

introverted Sensing (Si) ******************************** (32.4) good use

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *********************************** (35.2) Good use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) **************************************** (40.5) excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) ****************************************** (42.7) excellent use

introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************************************* (45.5) excellent use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************** (14.2) unused

introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************** (17.8) limited use

I'll have a read of the link Marmie Dearest sent.

Thanks

ahriman

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5W4
By that, you could also be INTP.

I feel as though I keep going between INTP and INTJ. E.g from what I gather, the INTJ builds a system/thought/process and executes it whereas the INTP builds a system/thought/process and keeps perfecting it. I seem to do a bit of both depending on what it is I'm doing or thinking about. I'm still concerned about the ultimate outcome of my thought processes but there are times when my thoughts don't necessarily have to lead to a particular outcome. I.e thinking for the sake of thinking without a result or feedback.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
K...now here's part of Jung, it describes the types.

You can scroll down here too Introverted Thinking Type and Introverted Intuitive Type first of all to determine if you're INTP and INTJ because functionally they're nothing alike.

http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Jung/types.htm

Nicodemus

Nothing in the opening post contradicts INTJ. This thread could have ended with a total of two posts.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'd work on enneagram type and let that help you narrow down your possibilities. infj 1s and 5s can seem particularly T. lotta walls to climb to get in or out. also consider instinctual subtype, as that kind of helps narrow down too. for instance, an sp type will usually be way more practical than an sx type, which is more impulsive and sense of time is much more urgent and exaggerated toward the immediate. an sx type will usually be more forceful and controlling, which can make them seem heartless compared to the aloofness of an sp. so types are more obvious but they will be a little more chameleony depending on their group.

for intj and infj, the rules of conscientiousness, how you reason what others should do, can be helpful to consider in order to grasp the differences. as far as a preference for personal control, intjs will usually want fair competition whereas infjs will prefer a bit higher level of cooperation and teamwork.

ahriman

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5W4
i'd work on enneagram type and let that help you narrow down your possibilities. infj 1s and 5s can seem particularly T. lotta walls to climb to get in or out. also consider instinctual subtype, as that kind of helps narrow down too. for instance, an sp type will usually be way more practical than an sx type, which is more impulsive and sense of time is much more urgent and exaggerated toward the immediate. an sx type will usually be more forceful and controlling, which can make them seem heartless compared to the aloofness of an sp. so types are more obvious but they will be a little more chameleony depending on their group.

for intj and infj, the rules of conscientiousness, how you reason what others should do, can be helpful to consider in order to grasp the differences. as far as a preference for personal control, intjs will usually want fair competition whereas infjs will prefer a bit higher level of cooperation and teamwork.

Ok So I did this test and it concludes I'm a type 5 (investigator) with 4wing (individualist) 5sx-4so.

I also did an MBTI test which showed the percentage difference between my Judging and perceiving. 53%-47% respectively. So that would probably explain my confusion between INTP and INTJ. I'm concluding with: INTJ.

Cheers

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
FWIW, you sound quite a bit like an INTJ with strong tertiary Fi; the tertiary is a "relief" function, so it can be more visible when you "let your hair down", I suppose. :thinking:

Just my 2¢. :)

Assailant

MBTI Type
XYZ
Hi I'm new to this board so I thought I'd start off with an important question for myself. Iv'e done numerous tests to determine my MBTI personality type and it always comes up with INTJ. 90% of the characteristics I read apply to me however there are a few which seem at odds with my personality.

1. INTJ's are supposed to be emotionless or at least display far less emotion than other types. Although on the outside I'm emotionless particularly in public settings, in private or with someone I trust (e.g my girlfriend) I can be quite emotional particularly when my plans or ideas don't come to fruition. The most common feeling being anger and despair because something didn't go my way. Yet once I have confided in that person or reflected on events I bounce back with confidence. When I have a strong opinion on something and someone disagrees with me I initially tend to get angry although I only show a small measure of my anger in public.

2. INTJ's are not supposed to be touchy feely. This is very true for 99% of the people I'm around. The one exception are the people I'm in intimate relationships with. I'm very touchy feely with my girlfriend but only when I know I can trust her in openly showing emotion.

Any thought's on this?

FWIW, you sound quite a bit like an INTJ with strong tertiary Fi; the tertiary is a "relief" function, so it can be more visible when you "let your hair down", I suppose. :thinking:

Just my 2¢. :)
Emotions do not equal introverted feeling. Introverted feeling is where it draws your morals from an internal, subjective source. Also, ahriman, don't follow the misconception that INTJs are emotionless robots.

If you're an INTJ, it's most likely you aren't a 5.
If you're a 5, it's most likely you aren't an INTJ. INTJ & 5 together conflicts.