User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: INTJ or INFJ

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5W4

Default INTJ or INFJ

Hi I'm new to this board so I thought I'd start off with an important question for myself. Iv'e done numerous tests to determine my MBTI personality type and it always comes up with INTJ. 90% of the characteristics I read apply to me however there are a few which seem at odds with my personality.

1. INTJ's are supposed to be emotionless or at least display far less emotion than other types. Although on the outside I'm emotionless particularly in public settings, in private or with someone I trust (e.g my girlfriend) I can be quite emotional particularly when my plans or ideas don't come to fruition. The most common feeling being anger and despair because something didn't go my way. Yet once I have confided in that person or reflected on events I bounce back with confidence. When I have a strong opinion on something and someone disagrees with me I initially tend to get angry although I only show a small measure of my anger in public.

2. INTJ's are not supposed to be touchy feely. This is very true for 99% of the people I'm around. The one exception are the people I'm in intimate relationships with. I'm very touchy feely with my girlfriend but only when I know I can trust her in openly showing emotion.

Any thought's on this?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Determine whether you have Fe/Ti or Te/Fi. Those are my thoughts.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5W4

I was thinking the same thing. I think the very first time I took the test I was INFJ but all other tests concluded INTJ which was about 8 times.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5W4

Interestingly I become extremely self confident when I'm angered and care little for what anyone thinks. A lot of people are stunned that I'm shy and tend not to put forth my opinions too often and just simply observe in the background but become totally opposite when I'm pissed off.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

That emotional stuff could be your tertiary Fi

And, no, INTJs are far from 'emotionless', even when they might appear to be so on the surface. They're actually 'gooey on the inside'
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Determine whether you have Fe/Ti or Te/Fi. Those are my thoughts.
    This.

It's worth giving a cognitive functions test a go too (though online tests will only take you so far). Try this one.

Also, I see you're from Sydney. Hi and welcome.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ahriman View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I think the very first time I took the test I was INFJ but all other tests concluded INTJ which was about 8 times.
    Look at this: http://www.erictb.info/archetypes.html

If you scroll down it lays out the difference between an IxFJ and IxTJ throughout the functions in a straight-forward and easy to understand manner.

I have a friend who has been identifying as ISFJ for the longest time but scored very high on Si/Fi on functions tests instead of Si/Fe, and also seemed to be displaying characteristics of Fi rather than Fe.

He is an ISTJ who uses so much Fi it makes him show up as ISFJ in the four dichotomies, and the Beebe archetypes totally cinches it.

Same with Lenore Thomson, if you're absolutely positive you're Ni dom, I think both Beebe and Lenore are some of the easiest ways to identify your judging functions.

I was the opposite at one point, I become crystal clear on having Fi/Te but had to determine Ne/Si or Se/Ni.

I swear by the function models as the best way to type people.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    That emotional stuff could be your tertiary Fi

And, no, INTJs are far from 'emotionless', even when they might appear to be so on the surface. They're actually 'gooey on the inside'
    Oh yeah this too the soft inner core, the carefully protected emo. IxTJs have this, and it actually sounds like what he's describing in the OP.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by Maddy View Post
    This.

It's worth giving a cognitive functions test a go too (though online tests will only take you so far). Try this one.

Also, I see you're from Sydney. Hi and welcome.
    Hi thanks. I took that test and got the same result: INTJ

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************ (12.1) unused

introverted Sensing (Si) ******************************** (32.4) good use

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *********************************** (35.2) Good use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) **************************************** (40.5) excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) ****************************************** (42.7) excellent use

introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************************************* (45.5) excellent use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************** (14.2) unused

introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************** (17.8) limited use

I'll have a read of the link Marmie Dearest sent.

Thanks

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

By that, you could also be INTP.