• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Here's a puzzle...

Quasar

I'm completely unsure of my type, so I'm hoping this community might be kind enough to help me out. For a while, I've been researching both the MBTI and the Enneagram for a while, but I'm uncertain about how I fit into both--the MBTI especially. So I ask you all: which type(s) do you think I am?

Warning: this is an extreme mind-dump of my personality. I've seen the questionnaire that people have been posting, but I feel like it's redundant... or maybe just my answers are. This seemed the easier course of action. Apologies for the length.

-------

I tend to portray myself as being impassive, unaffected by the events going on. “Everything is okay” or “I don’t mind” are two common phrases out of me. It’s too much hassle to let every emotion rush over me. When I let them, it’s entirely exhausting: I get depressed and tired from constant up and downs. I vary from zoning out to having buzzing thoughts, though admittedly the former is more common. I can be passionate, but it's fleeting.

I don’t like admitting if I’m upset (angry, hurt, disappointed, etc.) unless it’s easily fixable. This isn’t out of pride, but because I don’t want to cause a scene. Often I feel like, if I admit how I feel, others will try too hard to fix it. Another problem with telling others if something is wrong is that there’s always contradictions: “I’m annoyed, but...” This entire concept seems foreign to people. So instead of saying if I’m bothered, I withdraw into my own head.

My speech is casual and I don’t really feel the need to be formal or to “look good.” I dress plainly, partly because I like neutral/simple things, partly because I don’t want to draw more attention to myself. Everyone notices me anyway, so why make myself more obvious? As I age, I’m starting to accept that it’s “okay” to express myself—and I don’t mean only via clothing.

At my best, I’m confident. I can easily find my way around life, in social situations, in the unknown. Talking to strangers isn’t as daunting, because somehow I can get my message across. I’m much more willing to put effort into something, to finish a project. Everything around is interesting and I’m curious to know more about it all. There are too many questions, too many places to explore: let’s go, there’s something around the next corner!

At my worst, I’m drained. Nothing seems worthwhile, so it’s better to not try. All the energy is sucked out of me. At my lowest, I completely numb out, unwilling to have any thoughts, because even those take energy. Why bother, nothing really matters; just stay in bed, keep staring at the wall.

When stressed, I start to worry about little things and worry more about the big things. If all my nerves become frayed at this point, I’ll completely break down. Nothing can console me, I’m too worried about everything. It’s rare to get this bad, but it’s happened a few times. I’ll start to take care of myself before I fall apart, so the worry is pretty much where it stops.

An odd thing about me is that I have a sort of natural “disconnect” in my head. Maybe it’s compartmentalization, maybe it’s doublethink, I don’t know. I can accept something and feel strongly about it, but not let it affect me too much. A big example would be that I know I am disabled, yet I don’t identify as being disabled; even though I’m angry at the difficulties my handicap brings, I’m not angry about the disability itself. Another would be that I can feel extremely bad about someone being hurt, but my first thought isn’t to their feelings, it's how to fix it: someone cut their finger, so instead of hovering over them at first, I’d just go get a Band-Aid.

In social situations, I always end up being the “support.” How I support others can really change, because different people need different things. If there’s a more “submissive” person, then I will act more “dominant” and speak up when they won’t; vise versa if there’s a louder person. There’s no question that I prefer a backseat role, in part due to social anxiety, but also because it’s downright hard to keep up façades such as assertiveness. As support, I tend to help the minute someone asks me to (even indirectly), but I won’t exactly jump in and they have to be polite about it. It should be mentioned that I am truly socially incompetent: I don't understand how or why people interact the way they do. When I try to copy their methods, I fail.

People describe me as: stubborn, apathetic, kind, strange, smart, quiet, unemotional. They’re surprised by what I can do, even the things I find simple (both physically and mentally). I come off as reliable and/or trustworthy; they gladly confide personal information to me, look to me for advice. Some have said that they're not sure how I'll react to some things, so apparently I can be confusing (yet have also been accused of being predictable).

I would describe myself as: introverted, compassionate, task-oriented, kind, anxious, curious, sarcastic, idealistic, cynical. Even I think of myself as unemotional to a point. It’s as if I need a period of time to process the situation—though there certainly are times where I will feel a “burst.” This unemotionality is something I dislike about myself and would like to change. I tend to think far too much, so even if I feel like I should do something, I keep thinking of other solutions and which would be the best. Whether my head or my heart rules isn't clear-cut.

A common question is, "What do you want in life?" My driving motivation is to understand the world around me, the reasons behind everything. I want to be fully accepted, but I think that's because I haven't felt this from anyone other than (maybe) my family. Even though I'm very lazy, I want to be seen as competent and autonomous. I want to help people—I'm a humanitarian—so I'm searching for a job that will utilize my skills and be worthwhile.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Hmmm... I want to say ExxJ. Though most of your description sounds more IxxP.... It depends on whether you like the way you are when you are more ExxJ-ish, or IxxP-ish. If you feel it's more natural for you to be energetic, not better just natural, or if you enjoy the apathy. I see Fe in their somewhere and Ti as well... I feel as if you have Ni, too.

Overall I would personally give these two conclusions:

You are an ExFJ of some sort.
You are an IxTP now wishing to aspire to a more consistent ExFJ role.

Quasar

Hmmm... I want to say ExxJ. Though most of your description sounds more IxxP.... It depends on whether you like the way you are when you are more ExxJ-ish, or IxxP-ish. If you feel it's more natural for you to be energetic, not better just natural, or if you enjoy the apathy. I see Fe in their somewhere and Ti as well... I feel as if you have Ni, too.

Overall I would personally give these two conclusions:

You are an ExFJ of some sort.
You are an IxTP now wishing to aspire to a more consistent ExFJ role.

I've never had anyone say I was an ExxJ... Hm. Not ruling it out, but it's a bit startling! I'm quite introverted: people have a hard time getting to know me and I often want "quiet time."

It's not natural for me to be energetic. I certainly feel better when I am, but it feels foreign, not really me. Like I said, I don't enjoy the apathy, but I don't really know any other way. I've been diagnosed with dysthymia and social anxiety, so I think this is fairly normal, if it could be called that.

Could you explain why you see Ti/Fe? I don't relate to Fe much at all, though Ti I do a fair bit. The main "disagreement" I have with Ti is that their logic is subjective... like, they can twist words around to make it fit their plan. I don't do that, I prefer agreed-upon definitions and such. If I do use Ti/Fe and Ni as you said, it'd have to be ISTP (or ENFJ), a type I haven't truly considered yet... *reflects*

R

ReflecTcelfeR

You might not be a social extravert, but that doesn't necessarily mean you don't lead with an extraverted function. Agreed upon decisions... that's just Je really. It'd be more telling if you enjoy definitions that are gained from a common consensus in a group of people, or definitions based on quantitative results.

Your willingness (even with politeness as a qualification) to readily help people seems superficially Fe, but the cognitive process behind it is to strengthen the relationship with the person you're helping. If that is the reason, then I would say Fe exists. Don't forget my other possibility. And I wouldn't say that's the exact definition of subjective when talking about Ti. I would say they choose which objective data to focus on when analyzing. I see there being a slight difference in that definition.

Quasar

You might not be a social extravert, but that doesn't necessarily mean you don't lead with an extraverted function. Agreed upon decisions... that's just Je really. It'd be more telling if you enjoy definitions that are gained from a common consensus in a group of people, or definitions based on quantitative results.
Quantitative results, definitely. While I can be swayed by a rational and logical argument, I often want proof. I'm a big-picture thinker, working off of generalities instead of details, so it doesn't always seem like I'm looking for backup reasoning.

This isn't exactly related, but I have a hard time explaining how my mind works because of how generalized it all is. Everything is more conceptual up there, so it's hard to find the words to express what I'm thinking and/or feeling. It's made life difficult sometimes...

Your willingness (even with politeness as a qualification) to readily help people seems superficially Fe, but the cognitive process behind it is to strengthen the relationship with the person you're helping. If that is the reason, then I would say Fe exists.
Not exactly. I'll help someone even if I have the knowledge I will never see them again. Your reasoning suggests I wouldn't. There's other factors that go into whether I'll help, of course, but... Well, I'll help because I care, not because I'm looking to strengthen a bond.

Don't forget my other possibility. And I wouldn't say that's the exact definition of subjective when talking about Ti. I would say they choose which objective data to focus on when analyzing. I see there being a slight difference in that definition.
I'm probably misunderstanding, but that sounds like cherry-picking, which isn't how I roll. I admit that, at times, I have withheld information/sources, but usually because I deemed it unnecessary at the time (too complicated, too contradictory, etc.). When I research a subject, I want to know everything about it--until I lose interest, of course, which can happen in a blink of an eye.

Thanks for your help, Reflect :)

R

ReflecTcelfeR

What I'm trying to describe with Ti is that it is something wants to logically get to the truth of something so it doesn't treat all objective information equally, it decides what will get to the truth of the matter it's analyzing, while Te has the tendency to treat all information equally and then once brought within the person it is syphoned towards personal perception needs (Ni or Si).

That first paragraph hints at Ni-Te in that order. In order to tell exactly would you say that rational data is a servant to your personal perception of events. I'd say it's a test between being ENTJ or INTJ... However your softening seems to point to a developed Fi, could still be both, but depending on age (or environment) that isn't supposed to develop until someones 30's in the tertiary position. I really hate nurture because it skews this aspect of development.

Fe could still be in. Fe builds relationships, but considers all relationships equal. So you helping with the knowledge of never meeting someone again points towards that. The fact that you still feel logical may point you to being an INFJ. Which has Ni (conceptual data), Fe (relationship equality), Ti (This logical truth seeker) and Se (The desire to live in the present and examine physical data directly as it is received).

No problem :)

Quasar

What I'm trying to describe with Ti is that it is something wants to logically get to the truth of something so it doesn't treat all objective information equally, it decides what will get to the truth of the matter it's analyzing, while Te has the tendency to treat all information equally and then once brought within the person it is syphoned towards personal perception needs (Ni or Si).
Ahhh, okay. That I understand a lot better. I think I do the Te thing more, but the judging on whether or not it's useful or relevant is second-nature. The thing is, I'm not likely to trust an expert just because they say they know a lot about a subject. What they're saying has to make sense.

That first paragraph hints at Ni-Te in that order. In order to tell exactly would you say that rational data is a servant to your personal perception of events. I'd say it's a test between being ENTJ or INTJ... However your softening seems to point to a developed Fi, could still be both, but depending on age (or environment) that isn't supposed to develop until someones 30's in the tertiary position. I really hate nurture because it skews this aspect of development.
I thought the tertiary function starts developing when one is in their twenties? I'm 22, so that would line up about right. The only problem being that while I wasn't an overly emotional/caring kid, I was sensitive. It was very easy to hurt my feelings (especially if my parents scolded me) and I often made myself feel worse than anyone else did. I'm still like that, sensitive to criticism and nearby upset people, but I'm also completely awkward around those who need comforting and unsure about how I feel about a situation at first.

Would it help if I asked my parents how I really was as a kid? Maybe we could see which my first function was? I'm sure my memory is off.

Fe could still be in. Fe builds relationships, but considers all relationships equal. So you helping with the knowledge of never meeting someone again points towards that. The fact that you still feel logical may point you to being an INFJ. Which has Ni (conceptual data), Fe (relationship equality), Ti (This logical truth seeker) and Se (The desire to live in the present and examine physical data directly as it is received).
I've considered INFJ, yeah. It's a possibility, especially considering I'm not traditionally "intellectual." I think the only way that I would be an INFJ is if I were in a Ni-Ti loop to the point where my Fe is underdeveloped as a result. I suppose that would make sense: my school years really did take a toll on me emotionally (I was socially shunned and very introverted as a result).

It seems like we're both under the general consensus that I'm Ti and/or Ni, yeah? I'll focus on those types, then. The ENTJ type seems far too driven for me to be one, thus ruling out Te-dom (in theory, I suppose). I'll do a double post, the next one quoting some descriptions I can see myself in.

Quasar

• The descriptions:

Ti likes to figure out entire systems just for the sake of getting a glimpse of complete truth ("I want to play guitar, so I will learn the system of rules for how chords are built so I understand the whole thing at once"), whereas Te is much more goal-oriented and always wants to know how this system can be applied to something externally useful or used to accomplish our predetermined goals...so Te would be more inclined to first figure out what the goal is ("What do I plan to use my guitar playing for?") and then learn only what's necessary to complete that goal. ("I want to learn 'Freebird', so I will learn the chords and techniques necessary to play that song.")
Te takes a step by step, sequential and linear approach based on which steps are needed to complete its goals, while Ti tries to understand the entire system as one big unit simply because it's interesting and stimulating.

From the Te perspective, there is no such thing as logic without this sort of externalized validity, because impersonal ideas are to be shared and agreed upon by large groups instead of individuals (the same way Fe treats ethics) and determined by objective consensus. Te users tend to find Ti selfish and unyielding in its insistence on fitting things into its own personal logical framework before accepting them, rather than taking widely accepted external evidence or consensus seriously.
*Note: I want to understand badly, so I often keep asking about things. I'm not sure if this fits as "fitting things into its own personal logical framework" or not. However, I have issues dealing with xNTPs because their "logical framework" is completely foreign.

Ti people are usually very good with pure logic in a vacuum, as Ti simply "knows" inherently what is logical and what is not, and will defend this sense of logic to the death just to prove a point. Te people, on the other hand, are more concerned with what tangible USE can come from an argument--which is often none. This is why INTPs will argue hypotheticals all day but INTJs will rarely bother trying to convince you. For the INTJ, Te simply doesn't see what useful goal would be served by trying to change your opinion.

Strong Ni users like being the person behind the scenes who pulls all the strings (even better if most people don't even realize it) and understands the dynamics of everything on a deeper level than everyone else. They are threatened by the idea that there might be any perspective or angle they cannot see, and as such they sometimes overestimate their own ability to fully grasp and work around the attitudes of others.

It is an outwardly exploratory attitude that encourages us to change, reinvent and experiment with the external world in order to find new and interesting combinations and patterns. Ne looks for novel outcomes and imagines how the things around you could be changed into other, more interesting things. Ne sees new information as part of a larger, emerging, as of yet unseen pattern that extends far beyond the self, and whose meaning will continue to change as the context grows and we discover more of the all-encompassing pattern. Rather than directly confront an issue, Ne will often broaden the context until the issue seems insignificant by comparison to the much bigger and more expansive ideas it imagines.

As with all extroverted functions, Ne needs to be validated by external/objective information to have meaning. So Ne users will often have many ideas very quickly but not know if they're good until they hear other people's reactions to them, or have a chance to experiment and see what happens. Ne wants very badly to be understood and appreciated by others.
*Note: Ne has always seemed far too creative for me. I'm horrible at coming up with new ideas, but can easily twist old ideas to work. I'm a good troubleshooter. This all seems to suggest I'm a convergent thinker... But Ti is supposedly convergent...

• Dom-Tert Loops that seem possible:
INTP/ISFJ: Ti/Si or Si/Ti--Schizotypal Personality Disorder. I see this most commonly in INTP dom/tert loops (Ti+Si), resulting in totally giving up on attempting to obtain the social/interpersonal connections that inferior Fe drives them to unconsciously desire. Schizotypal people are seen (and typically see themselves) as having such unusual thoughts and behaviors that widespread social acceptance is nearly impossible. Ti thinks, "I cannot find any logical explanation for social rituals" and Si reinforces this self-isolating, risk-averse behavior by constantly reminding the user: "Remember how badly this went last time you tried?"

ISTP/INFJ: Ti/Ni or Ni/Ti--Schizoid Personality Disorder. These types are socially incompetent for lack of trying, because they see little to no value in significant interaction with others. They live in their own abstract worlds, constantly second-guessing themselves as Ti poses a framework for a problem and Ni shoots it down as too definitionally precise. Without any real external input, these two functions will dream up all sorts of elaborate systems and implications for them, only to repeat their own self-defeating behavior, never bothering to emphasize putting any of its intense ideas into practice. Frequent disregard for rules, laws and other forms of behavioral standards is common

ISFP/INTJ: Fi/Ni or Ni/Fi--Paranoid Personality Disorder. These types are your typical conspiracy theorists; they cling deeply to their personal values and can find a conspiracy to assault or attack those values everywhere they look. Chronically distrustful of others' intentions for no legitimate reason, these types are certain they are the only ones who really know "the truth." The inferior function, Te or Se, can sometimes lead to an unconscious desire to attract the attention of or lead/organize others in efforts to expose the nefarious conspiracies they invariably see everywhere.
*Note: I can fall into being "paranoid," but it's never gotten this bad. Most conspiracies are too far-fetched. Instead, I get overly suspicious or "superstitious," always trying to protect myself.

INFP/ISTJ: Fi/Si or Si/Fi--Avoidant Personality Disorder. Often scarred by some intensely negative past experience with opening up too many of their private emotions, this type compulsively avoids social situations and interaction with others. They are fiercely sensitive and may exaggerate or misconstrue perceived negative emotional intent in the words or actions of others. They will sometimes project their negative feelings onto others (Fi), as Si tells them that if I were to behave this way, I would have to be very upset, so anyone who behaves that way must also be. These types often have a chronic problem with trusting the intentions or motivations of others, refusing to share private information with even their closest friends and family. They are so deeply sensitive that they refuse to risk being hurt by attempting deep connections with others--you'll see this a lot in ISTJs with Asperger's.

• As for the "Quick Guide To Double-Checking Your Type..."
Directing communications have a time and task orientation with an implication of urgency to get the task done. "Have your report to me by close of business today."
Informing communications are designed to enroll the other in the process by providing motivation with relevant information. "Your report is an essential part of our project."
*Note: I first try the informing method, but if they don't understand, I'll switch to directing fairly easily. It's not as comfortable, though.

Chart-the-Course (Directing and Responding). Typically knowing the plan and what needs to be done to reach the goal, they focus on keeping the team on track. (ISTJ, INTJ, INFJ, ISTP)
Behind-the-Scenes (Informing and Responding). With patience and a calm, quiet style, they focus on understanding and accommodation to lead the team to the best possible result. (ISFJ, INTP, INFP, ISFP)
*Note: Love being Behind-the-Scenes, but again I can switch to Chart-the-Course if I have to.

-Artisan/Improviser (Concrete and Pragmatic): Want the freedom to choose the next act. Seek to have impact, to get results. Want to be graceful, bold, and impressive. (ISFP, ISTP, ESFP, ESTP)
-Guardian/Stabiliser (Concrete and Affiliative): Want to fit in, to have membership. Hunger for responsibility, accountability, and predictability. Tend to be generous, to serve, and to do their duty. (ISFJ, ISTJ, ESFJ, ESTJ)
-Idealist/Catalyst (Abstract and Affiliative): Want to be authentic, benevolent, and empathic. Search for identity, meaning, and significance. Are relationship oriented, particularly valuing meaningful relationships. (INFP, INFJ, ENFP, ENFJ)
-Rational/Theorist (Abstract and Pragmatic): Want knowledge and to be competent, to achieve mastery. Seek expertise to understand how the world and things in it work. (INTP, INTJ, ENTP, ENTJ)
*Note: I feel pragmatic, but have always related to the INFx descriptions... INFP moreso than INFJ. I'm generally abstract, but I don't use/like metaphors in conversation and see debating theories for 10 hours as pointless.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been typing a lot of people as 9s lately, and you're no exception. And you're an INTP too. or maybe an Ni user, but what you said previously that made you not think you're Ti like described Ti perfectly anyway. INTP 9.

Oh, and I agree, those limits questionnaires aren't as good as writing out something similar to what you have written. They do their job reasonably well, and it's better than writing a sentence or two, but they're just not as good as what you've done.

Quasar

I've been typing a lot of people as 9s lately, and you're no exception. And you're an INTP too. or maybe an Ni user, but what you said previously that made you not think you're Ti like described Ti perfectly anyway. INTP 9.

Oh, and I agree, those limits questionnaires aren't as good as writing out something similar to what you have written. They do their job reasonably well, and it's better than writing a sentence or two, but they're just not as good as what you've done.

Well, you're probably right, at least about the Enneagram. I've been stuck between 6 or 9. I've thought of myself as (phobic) 6w7 for a while, but now I'm second-guessing if I'm not a 6w5 or a 9w8. The only thing I'm mostly sure about is being sp/sx!

Are you saying I inadvertently described my usage of Ti, even the bad bits? :shock: Oh, irony is so cruel.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I say after that you are INFJ. The reason why I don't think you'd be INT(F)P is that I feel most wouldn't be able to flip from informative to directive that easily. It's like Fe trying to be nice, but then the person doesn't listen and then it rears its head. I'll write more after some more thought.

Quasar

I say after that you are INFJ. The reason why I don't think you'd be INT(F)P is that I feel most wouldn't be able to flip from informative to directive that easily. It's like Fe trying to be nice, but then the person doesn't listen and then it rears its head. I'll write more after some more thought.
I dunno, I feel like part of it is because informing uses more words. Repeating that much is annoying after a while, so I switch to directive.

Spoke to my mom about my childhood a bit. I'll post it if you want? Was on IM, so it wouldn't be a big deal. Already in text format, yay.

I'm trying to gather up some data. Did many tests, both function and dichotomy ones, to find some sort of pattern. The function ones had very little (Se and Fe are the lowest), and the dichotomies all say INxP, though one said ISTP. I'm starting to think I'm either an INTJ 9 or an INTP 6... :sorry: Or, like you said Reflect, an INFJ something. Ugh.

--------

Ni > Ti > Fi > Si > Si = Ne = Te > Se > Fe

Ne > Ti > Ni > Fi > Si = Te > Se > Fe

Ni > Fi = Ti > Fe > Si > Ne = Te > Se

Fi > Ne > Ti > Te = Ni > Si > Fe > Se

Fi > Ne > Te > Ti = Ni > Si > Se > Fe

Ne = Fi > Ti > Ni > Se > Fe > Si = Te

Introversion (I): 88%
Intuition (N): 87.5%
Thinking (T): 51.85%
Perceiving (P): 82.61%

Introversion: 77%
Intuition: 65%
Thinking: 58%
Perceiving: 66%

INxP

75% INFP - 73% INTP - 72% ENFP - 71% ENTP - 66% ISFP - 64% ISTP - 63% INFJ - 62% INTJ

Introversion: 81%
Intuitive: 55%
Thinking: 51%
Perceiving: 62%

Introversion (90.2 %)
Sensing (80.9 %)
Thinking (64.1 %)
Perceiving (50.9 %)

Introverted (I) 86%
Intuitive (N) 68%
Feeling (F) 55%
Perceiving (P) 77%

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Hm, well it does look that way doesn't it. I just thought about my reasoning and I don't like it anymore. The switch from informative to directive could be Te kicking in. That'd line up a little more with your test results. J/P dichotomies are annoying. Why do you think you scored Sensing on only one test? And do you agree with INFP descriptions?

Quasar

Hm, well it does look that way doesn't it. I just thought about my reasoning and I don't like it anymore. The switch from informative to directive could be Te kicking in. That'd line up a little more with your test results. J/P dichotomies are annoying.
Share your reasoning anyway? :tongue: Might be more useful than you think. The J/P is incredibly annoying, I agree. My head feels J, my actions/habits say P. Like I said, figuring out if I'm E6 or E9 might help (an INTP 6 would be more uptight, an INTJ 9 would be lazier).

Or maybe I'm just a screwed up case? :laugh:

Why do you think you scored Sensing on only one test?
I think that was the one that analyzed text, so I don't put much stock in it. Makes me wonder, though. I can't see myself in many ISTP people/descriptions... but is that because I can't use Se "normally," being physically handicapped? Or is it because I'm not one?

And do you agree with INFP descriptions?
On a superficial level, yeah. INFP really resonates with how I feel inside, but it doesn't line up with how I interact with the world. I act like an INTx most of the time... Most men are more emotional than I am! Another thing is that "strong" INFPs actually annoy me a lot, as most of them are either very self-righteous or highly emotional. I know the whole "it's the internet!" thing, but... No.

I had a couple thoughts that might explain some things? (Probably not.)
  • I'm polite and friendly when I want things from others. Not "want" as in "take" but when requesting and asking questions. A couple months ago I just realized (literally, it slapped me in the face) that I do this more because it works better, not because I actually care. (I still care, but... etc.)
  • My Si use is almost solely unhealthy. It'd probably make it one of my shadow functions, using Beebe's model. Not sure which one. The one good trait I have from Si is that I'm aware of myself. All the bad traits come out when stressed, such as being avoidant and hiding away. Suggests Ni/Se, though I'm still iffy on that. I don't "feel" Ni-dom.
  • Why don't I feel Ni-dom? I'm very literal. I can read between the lines, but metaphors just don't really click with me. I don't like art or poetry. I'm not really aware of how things should be perceived, I just perceive things as my brain does. I need reassurance and feedback about my ideas (an Ne trait). In school, I hated analyzing for the "deeper meaning" (symbolic metaphors) in books or movies, I just wanted to enjoy the damn thing!

R

ReflecTcelfeR

That last bullet point sounds a lot like extroverted sensing. I'm thinking Ni-Ti for dominant and tertiary loop, or vice versa. ISTP, or INFJ. Of course you say you act like an INTx, which could mean you are also ISFP or INTJ. I'm going to say you have introverted intuition somewhere. Either your dominant or your tertiary.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You sound more J than P to me, and more Te/Fi than Fe/Ti... It's just a feel though :)

IXTJ perhaps?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You sound like an IxTJ to me, too. Task-oriented, compartmentalizing things, thinking about what you can do to fix things rather than thinking of feelings, willing to dom/sub switch instead of always being dominant leads me to believe that you aren't ExTJ.

Quasar

You sound more J than P to me, and more Te/Fi than Fe/Ti... It's just a feel though :)

IXTJ perhaps?

You sound like an IxTJ to me, too. Task-oriented, compartmentalizing things, thinking about what you can do to fix things rather than thinking of feelings, willing to dom/sub switch instead of always being dominant leads me to believe that you aren't ExTJ.

I am leaning towards INTJ, but I have strong Ti and not-very-strong Ni, or at least I think so. Maybe I'm just not reading the right Ni descriptions or not interpreting them correctly. Having tertiary Fi fits perfectly, more than inferior Fe does.

Thank you :)

http://www.erictb.info/archetypes.html

This one has the archetypes of the functions according to Beebe.

And you can figure out your dom function at least according to Jung, so you can stop with all of this silly "am I 4 or 5 totally different types" and narrow it down.

http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Jung/types.htm

Having a read through those pages, but it'll take me a couple days. Should prove helpful, though!

Quasar

The below are the archetype descriptions I related to the most.

hero:
  • Ni (INxJ): Life must have an underlying significance inferred by me
    • - Always searching for truth and meaning
  • Ti (IxTP): Life must make technical sense to me
    • - See above
parent:
  • Se (ISxP): Aiding others in tangible experiences
  • Te (IxTJ): Directing others to efficiently organize the environment
    • - “Organize” = “use;” related to Se description
  • Fi (ExFP): Teaching others by one's own personal relation to situations
    • - Not always my own relation, but “how would you feel?” as well
child:
  • Se (ENxJ): Looking to be led by others in tangible experiences
    • - Preferring extroverted friends to draw me out of my shell
  • Si (INxP): Nostalgic enjoyment of memories, especially childhood
  • Fi (IxTJ): Find relief through internal harmony; personally relating to situations represents innocence
  • Fe (ExTP): childlike when connecting with others
    • - Have been called “cute;” many perceive me as innocent or naïve; find safety in acting warm/kind in social situations
anima:
  • IxTP's might feel inferior in social settings.
    • - More related to social anxiety and underdeveloped social skills
  • INxJ's might feel inferior with current tangible experience.; INxJ's Cling to dominant perspective. Criticize SP's as reckless
    • - Have a tough time interacting with ESxPs for an extended period
opposing:

• INxJ's Feel obstructed in or become stubborn about emergent meanings and possibilities
    • - Bad at brainstorming
  • IxFP's Think that agreed upon ethics do not get to the real needs of people; affect them negatively, etc.
  • ExTJ's Breaking things down into trivial detail is stupid, inefficient and a waste of time
    • - Very much the reason why I dislike analyzing art or talking for hours about theories
witch/senex:

• IxTJ's Feel negated in or become disgruntled about variable logical principles; IxTJ's Will often angrily hit others with logical "truth" or principles.
  • ISxP's Feel negated in or become disgruntled about rememberance of facts.; ISxP's Avoid past rememberances, except to blame, and will make them critical if others dwell too much
    • - Bad at memory recall, though I get into moods where I can’t stop thinking about past situations and how much it hurt.
  • INxP's Interpret everything in terms of a "big picture" in which the worst will happen, and blame those around them.
    • - Infamous for my worst-case scenario thinking, though possibly related more to E6 and (possible) Ni-dom?
trickster:

• INxP's Might feel 'double-bound' by tangible reality (physical things, etc), and then it seems to become the perfect vehicle to try to turn the tables on others with, or to be silly with.; INxP's People performing rigorous stunts are clowns; people pointing out tangible reality that goes against the ego seem like "bullies"
    • - Unsure about the definition of ‘double-bound.’ Dislike it when people try to force reality on my flights of fancy
  • IxTJ's Might feel 'double-bound' by social values, and use them to trap others into behaving or conforming
    • - Have been known to twist things around to suit my purposes, though very rare
  • ENxJ's People who dwell on the past (instead of moving on) are "puerile", and yet they might distort it to get them off their back
    • - Dislike using the past as an excuse
demon:

• INxJ's The past is highly irrelevant, and likely haunting; INxJ's "When really stressed, they may waste time reviewing the impact of the past."
    • - Related to ISxP senex and ENxJ trickster. Don’t see the past as totally irrelevant.
  • IxTP's the personal factor in situations, or conscience might be a nagging, guilt-provoking issue we wish could go away.
    • - Often have self-guilt for not doing what I perceive to be the best/right thing, even if I couldn't do it anyway
  • ESxP's "over-read 'between the lines', often misinterpreting the meaning of someone's actions and attributing negative intentions where there are none"
    • - Known to do this a lot; related to INxP senex.
  • ENxP's "zero in on isolated details, hastily acting on them in a chaotic disjointed way"

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT] opposing:

• Ne as Opposing Personality: The person usually has "knowings" based on internal abstract perceptions. If this is challenged, they will turn towards external stimuli to back up their perception.
  • Ni as Opposing backs up Ne as hero. The ego cherishes multiple opportunities of external obects being open. If they are shut out, then the person will "lock on" to an internal negative perception of what will happen.
witch/senex:

• Ti as witch/senex: The person parents others with rules of external technical efficiency. When this is not adhered to, then they begin parenting critically with the universal technical frameworks and principles of the world that support the external rules.
trickster:

• When Se is trickster, then Si is puer, and internalized tangible experience is what the ego childishly falls back on to maintain its introverted attitude. If this is challenged, the ego will use current tangible reality to get others off his back by pointing at others ("you do it too" defense {triggered when the ego is intimidated through the puer by memory-based fear of punishment}). "wanting to have its own way": wanting to see things for myself, and having concrete evidence for things such as spirituality.
  • Si as trickster: Sensory pleasure is a source of childlike relief. If this is threatened, they will reference memorized experiences to get the person off their back.
  • Ti as trickster: External technical efficiency is looked up to with childlike innocence. The person will turn to the underlying technical principles behind it as a last resort if intimidated. Otherwise, it is seen as puerile detail.
  • Fe as trickster: The person finds relief through universal/personal humane values. External set values are appealed to (often in an overgeneralized fashion) when motivating someone to do what's important, particularly if the person's behavior is affecting them in some way.
demon:

• Ne as demon: They aspire to having a sense of the future. When stressed, it can turn into messed up interpretations.
------------

Now, I honestly don't understand the whole "Crow's Nest" analogy. I didn't in Lenore's book and I don't in the Archetype article. Could someone explain it in different terms? I did find it interesting that Si and Fe are the two functions I have difficulty using "correctly" and understanding those who have it as their heroes (plus Se).

These are called the "Crow's Nests" in Lenore's ship analogy, while the preferred functions with the attitudes reversed are the "Double Agents" (who as the opposite side brain alternatives act as the "maintenance crew", but may attempt mutiny. And the tertiary and inferior basically cause trouble from outside the ship).
(Should be pointed out that in Lenore's view, the Crow's Nests and Double Agents are not necessarily the same as the archetypes associated with the same functions).

So,
SP's: Se-->Ne
SJ's: Si-->Ni
NP's: Ne-->Se
NJ's: Ni-->Si
TJ's: Te-->Fe
TP's: Ti-->Fi
FJ's: Fe-->Te
FP's: Fi-->Ti