User Tag List

First 142223242526 Last

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzy View Post
    That's the thing - I didn't and wasn't trying to say I was atypical. You misunderstood that part. My point was that everyone of every type is more than their superficial description/image.
    Ah, sorry. I understand what you mean now.

Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    9's are all about repressing their negative emotions. Especially anger. We want to escape into "premature Buddhahood" instead of dealing with our negative emotions, so we repress them into our subconscious. We're also masters at the art of self-deception. We do the repressing so well, in fact, that we're often not aware we're doing it. We're like emotion-repressing self-deception ninjas. Many 9's have a lot of repressed anger that they aren't even aware of due to self-deception, though an Sx 9 is probably more likely to be aware of it.

Here's how I picture it:

"Anger is bad" --> "I don't want to be bad" --> "I will never get angry" (repression) --> "I have no anger" (self-deception)
    Hmmm... That sounds close, but slightly "off"... My repression is a bit more conscious than that and based partly on not knowing where to draw certain lines - disagreement/rejection, criticism/belittling, independence of thought/ingratitude, among others. That, and I highly dislike eating crow.

And that part of your response that I quoted before really reminds me of this:
    Oh, I remember that one now. It resembles me quite a lot, although I think my barriers are somewhat more obvious on account of my relative aloofness.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

Hmm...I wonder if you might actually be a 1 then (tentative suggestion). What do you think about this description: http://sites.google.com/site/upatel8/personalitytype1?

Although the type 1 descriptions generally overemphasize the morality aspect. My dad is 1w9, but I doubt he would relate much to a lot of the 1 descriptions because of that emphasis. In my opinion, I think 1's basic desire should be to be conscientious (to do things the right way), and the basic fear should be fear of being wrong (not necessarily in a moral sense).

MBTI
    IsFJ

Hmm...I wonder if you might actually be a 1 then (tentative suggestion). What do you think about this description: http://sites.google.com/site/upatel8/personalitytype1?

Although the type 1 descriptions generally overemphasize the morality aspect. My dad is 1w9, but I doubt he would relate much to a lot of the 1 descriptions because of that emphasis. In my opinion, I think 1's basic desire should be to be conscientious (to do things the right way), and the basic fear should be fear of being wrong (not necessarily in a moral sense).
    Type One exemplifies the desire to be good, to live up to the highest ethical standards, and to effect positive changes in the world. While a number of types care about achieving goals, Ones are particularly aware of how they achieve their goals. Were they honorable? Did they use their resources wisely? Were they fair and truthful? Ones are people of high standards and they expect themselves and others to live by those standards as much as possible. They tend to see things in terms of long-range objectives, and they can be aware of how current actions might affect future situations. For example, Ones are often in the forefront of battles to improve environmental standards or to make people aware of healthier lifestyle choices.

Most Ones report feeling a powerful sense of mission, a deep feeling of purpose that they remember from their early childhood. They sense that they are here for a reason and, unlike some other types, they have a fairly clear idea of what that reason is. This sense of mission impels Ones to rise to their highest standards, to make personal sacrifices, and to evaluate themselves regularly to see if they are falling short of their ideals. They feel that they must live a balanced, sensible life in order to have the clarity and inner resources necessary to fulfill their purpose.

Ones also have deep convictions about right and wrong, what is just and unjust. They are often dedicated to reform and social causes since they feel personally obligated to improve the world and leave it a better place. They put themselves on the line for their values and ethical convictions—if it means risking their jobs, their fortunes, or even their lives. Ones are convinced that there are indeed some truths—some values—that are worth both living and dying for. To accomplish their missions, Ones maintain self-discipline and do their best to practice "moderation in all things."

While Ones focus their attention on serious life issues, their high standards can also be directed to less significant matters—although they may seem equally important to Ones at the time. They can become extremely upset, for instance, if their spouse or one of their children fails to clean up after themselves adequately after using the bathroom sink. Ones are nothing if not thorough and well organized. Some Ones express this as an extraordinary concern with "neatness," the kind of people whose socks and underwear are folded neatly, whose file folders are labeled and filed alphabetically, and whose pencils are all sharpened. Other Ones focus their perfectionism in other areas, such as punctuality, ethical standards, political or religious ideals, office protocols, or uncovering misdeeds and untruths.

While Ones tend to see themselves as people of logic and reason, they are often driven by strong feelings and impulses—usually experienced as personal convictions. Because they so strongly feel that they must accomplish their life mission, they conclude that they must be serious and determined and must not waste time. They can become very strict with themselves, feeling they must always be working toward their ideals, "making progress," and pointing out how things could be improved. They are extremely conscientious about how they use their time and resources. Under pressure, time becomes a major interpersonal issue for Ones—they insist that they and others be punctual, efficient, and particular about details. They make lists, organize things, and constantly prioritize their activities. Their sense of obligation, however, can make them feel heavier and more burdened. Consequently, they begin to be afraid of making a mistake because they want everything to be consistent with their strict standards. At such times, others can perceive them as overly rigid and perfectionistic.

In brief, Ones want to be right, to strive higher and improve everything, to be consistent with their ideals, to justify themselves, and to be beyond criticism so as not to be condemned by anyone. Ones do not want to be proven wrong, to make mistakes, to allow sloppiness, to be with people they perceive as lazy or not serious, to be in chaos or in situations that seem out of control, or to be embarrassed by emotional display.

Their Hidden Side
    Ones appear well balanced and sure of themselves, but they can suffer from extreme self-criticism, feeling that they are never able to measure up to their Olympian standards. Similarly, they can feel lonely and alienated from others, seeing themselves as the only responsible adult around. At such times they feel burdened by their responsibilities and by the sense that others will not do as thorough a job as they will. If these feelings intensify, Ones can become harsh with themselves and others, and prey to hidden depression. They may attempt to maintain an outer attitude of self-control and reserve while inwardly feeling anguished and alienated. As they become more isolated, their self-criticism can become more cruel and irrational. Few casual observers would suspect how much they are suffering from the relentless attacks of their Inner Critic (superego).
    I dunno about this whole "sense of mission" thing... I don't have the conviction to lift a spoon.

Re: Ones like your dad --> I can be a bit of a stickler towards small things as well, like when I berated myself after passing my driver's ed exam for possibly forgetting to turn off my turn signal once. Still, I'm not that good with enforcing standards. Or adhering faithfully to them, for that matter...

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I dunno about this whole "sense of mission" thing... I don't have the conviction to lift a spoon.

Re: Ones like your dad --> I can be a bit of a stickler towards small things as well, like when I berated myself after passing my driver's ed exam for possibly forgetting to turn off my turn signal once. Still, I'm not that good with enforcing standards. Or adhering faithfully to them, for that matter...
    I don't think the "sense of mission" necessarily applies to all 1's. Like I said, the 1 descriptions tend to overemphasize the moral aspects. Anyways, here are some distinctions between 1's and 9's:

Misidentifying Ones and Nines

Usually this mistype is caused by confusion about the wing and dominant type: is the person a Nine with a One-wing or a One with a Nine-wing? In some cases, with a strong wing, this can be a difficult call. Both can be idealistic, philosophical, and somewhat withdrawn. Neither feels comfortable with their anger. Usually, the Nine's reluctance to get into conflicts is the easiest way to discern these adjacent types. Average Nines want to maintain peace in their lives, and while they may hold strong personal convictions, they generally do not want to argue about them with people–especially people with whom they have an emotional attachment. For Ones, however, the principle is foremost, and Ones will drive home their point to convert the other to their view, even if it risks creating upsets and arguments. ("The truth is the truth.")

While Nines can be hard workers, it does not take much to convince them that a break would be useful. They enjoy down time, and tend to have difficulty shifting gears from relaxation to activity or vice versa. Ones are extremely driven and have difficulty tearing themselves away from their various projects to take a rest or relax. They feel anxious when they are not being productive (like Threes), and want to get back to work to avoid attacks from their superego.

Another distinction can be found in how the two types handle stress. Nines initially become more emotionally disengaged and resistant, but eventually become more anxious and reactive as they go to Six. Ones, initially become more fervent in their efforts to convince the other that they are right, but then collapse into moodiness and a tight-lipped testiness as they go to Four.
    Here's another site that gives some distinctions: http://pstypes.blogspot.com/2009/04/...-type-one.html

MBTI
    IsFJ

I don't think the "sense of mission" necessarily applies to all 1's. Like I said, the 1 descriptions tend to overemphasize the moral aspects. Anyways, here are some distinctions between 1's and 9's:

Here's another site that gives some distinctions: http://pstypes.blogspot.com/2009/04/...-type-one.html
    Hmmm. Between both of these, 9 seems like the likelier choice - I'm not very confrontational, although my supressed anger can give the impression that I'm being critical sometimes. (This is especially true with my dad.) Plus, I kinda wish my work ethic was better - I'm usually dismotivated by my own neuroses and reveries.

Also, regarding the second link, anxious > moody, though they can look pretty similar.

Have I thanked you yet for all of this, RZ? If so, one more time won't hurt, right?

(Also, note to self: must deal with INFP envy.)

I'm always happy to help.

Now, about your MBTI type...Have you looked at this thread: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...-infp-one.html? That one covers some of the main differences between ISFJ's, ISFP's, and INFP's.

Here's another useful link: http://personalitycafe.com/nfs-tempe...iday-test.html. This one offers a scenario and depending on what you would do or agree with, you could be a Fe user or a Fi user. It worked for me anyways.

Glycerine

I actually thought of something. Maybe your tritype is 9(gut) 4(feeling) 6 (head) or 964? Also, your wing can also play a strong role. So a 9w1 is going to some 1ish tendencies but 9 is still going to be dominant. That could explain your resonance with all those types. There are also many outside factors that could account for it. Your dad probably only sees certain things about you. My ESFJ dad thinks I am an overachiever, type A person.... which is only kind of true (because I get A's mostly but I consider myself a slacker who knows how to play the game).

Just random thoughts that came to mind... don't know if they will help but thought I'd share anyways.

MBTI
    IsFJ

I'm always happy to help.

Now, about your MBTI type...Have you looked at this thread: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...-infp-one.html? That one covers some of the main differences between ISFJ's, ISFP's, and INFP's.
    Concerning that thread... Well, I don't know if I'm "quirky" enough to be an INFP, but I'm also uncertain about what kinds of "tangible ways [of nurturing]" (as addressed in OrangeAppled's post there) would qualify as especially ISFJ-ish in males (note that the thread was made primarily with women in mind, as stated in the OP).

I'm kind of an odd bird, but it's less "Zooey Deschanel" and more "slightly OCD".

Here's another useful link: http://personalitycafe.com/nfs-tempe...iday-test.html. This one offers a scenario and depending on what you would do or agree with, you could be a Fe user or a Fi user. It worked for me anyways.
    Well, I'm not that much of a holiday person - it's nice to give people presents sometimes and all, but it can be quite a pain choosing gifts for relatives without asking them what they want... That, and I'm a miser. Bwahahahaha!

Also, I can never remember birthdays. Good thing this forum has a list of, er, "birthdayees" on the main page.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    I actually thought of something. Maybe your tritype is 9(gut) 4(feeling) 6 (head) or 964? Also, your wing can also play a strong role. So a 9w1 is going to some 1ish tendencies but 9 is still going to be dominant. That could explain your resonance with all those types. There are also many outside factors that could account for it. Your dad probably only sees certain things about you. My ESFJ dad thinks I am an overachiever, type A person.... which is only kind of true (because I get A's mostly but I consider myself a slacker who knows how to play the game).

Just random thoughts that came to mind... don't know if they will help but thought I'd share anyways.
    I've discussed somwhere before the possibility of my tritype being [9w1/1w9] - [6w5/5w4] - [4w5/2w1] in some order.

It's kind of amazing how I used to type myself as a 5w4 and some people here have typed me as 2w1...

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

INFP 9w1 Sx/Sp
    perhaps?
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire