• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type me? (INXX)

candyshell

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have been confused about my type for months now. For a long time I thought I was INFJ, but recently I feel I have changed a lot and have jumped back and forth between INFJ, INTJ, INFP and INTP.
I looked at each individual function and am still confused. I'm not sure if it's more that I don't understand the functions, or I really can't decide which ones apply to me. I have the most trouble with Fe, Fi, Te and Ti.
I am pretty certain on the I and N, but I will try to include details about each letter anyway.

I and E

-I highly value privacy
-I don't hate talking to people or anything, but feel that most people I don't feel a connection with. When I talk to people, I want to see them paying full attention to me or I feel hurt. I don't want to talk to anybody if they don't want to talk to me.
-I feel small talk is superficial. I can manage to do it, but it took me a long time to learn and I don't enjoy it. I still don't understand the purpose of it.
-I like to feel included in a group.
-I keep to myself most of the time, but if I have a problem with someone or something I push myself to be assertive. I can't stand being used, but sometimes I automatically give in to people's demands just to be polite and once I realized what I've done I get angry at myself. (maybe this is more T/F?)

S and N
-I'm pretty sure S is my weakest function.
-I'm really, uh, spacey....often, it takes me a minute to realize what somebody is telling me...sometimes I don't realize they are talking at all because I am thinking so much.
-I suck at mechanical tasks. I get embarrassed when somebody is giving me oral directions because I have difficulty following them, even if the task is really simple.
-As said, I'm spacey and it can take me months to really notice something like a picture on the wall. I don't pay attention to small physical details in my surroundings because I don't find them important.
-I have always been introspective and philosophical. I enjoy reading because I like to figure out the psychology of each character and think about the author's intentions.
-I get paranoid/weird feelings about random stuff and people

T and F

-I don't cry easily. I think I'm more likely to cry over a song than a movie.
-I feel kind of void of emotions compared to other people--at least about certain things. I can watch a sad movie where somebody dies or whatever and the whole theater will be crying and I hardly feel moved at all. It just feels forced. People see/hear about death all the time, in the movies, in the news etc. I just don't understand, how you can get so emotional about it, when it's the same situation over and over. Of course, I understand getting upset over the death of a close family member/friend, just not about complete strangers or fictional characters.
-However, I get sensitive about things people don't understand or don't notice. I get worried about random strangers.
-I can't stand to see people be misunderstood, especially when they had good intentions.
-I always worry I'm being annoying.
-I would say I value justice over mercy.
-I get so irritated when people are submissive. UGH...weakness isn't cute, okay? What is the point of having your own opinion if you are just going to agree with everyone else?
-I highly enjoy intellectual discussion.
-I have always done better in school than with personal relationships. I spent most of my life without friends.
-I do kind of value personal relationships, but I really just need a couple of people to speak my thoughts to so I don't go crazy. For the most part, I'm more interested in doing my own thing/research.
-When I become interested in something, I become very passionate. I will research and analyze that thing to death. When somebody criticizes my interests, I take it personally.
-I don't get romantic relationships. At all.
-I get somewhat easily flustered when talking to people I don't know well. (I?)

P and J

-Being late to an event or not meeting a deadline causes me great distress.
-I'm a perfectionist
-I like having a schedule, but I'm not always good at following it
-When assigned a project, I automatically take it apart and plan when and how I will complete it. Although I don't always end up following these plans >_>
-I'm always anxious/worried about the future
-I procrastinate like hell
-Very indecisive. When I go to restaurant it takes me the longest time to pick out my food, and even my P friends get irritated xD
But believe me, I do not like bouncing back and forth between ideas. I long to make a plan for my life and stick to it.
-I really don't like taking chances.
-I think my friends tend to think I'm more laid back. I kind of have a "fuck that" attitude.

Other (things I'm not sure are relevant but might be interesting and things I don't know what category to put them in)

-I'm cynical and suspicious of other people's motives.
-I value sincerity and clarity
-I carefully planned this post in my head before typing it up xD
-I'm female
-I notice when I look people in the eye, especially strangers, they seem freaked out and look away. I think this might be the INTJ/INFJ "death stare"
-Most think I'm very quite, but I become very animated sometimes with close friends. When I make jokes, I tend to be very dramatic and obnoxious. Besides this, I like sarcasm and dry humor

I think I'm probably INTJ or INFJ, but I consider INTP and INFP as well.

Oh my God I typed so much I'm sorry

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ahhhh *relaxes* this ones nice and easy, you're a clear INTJ. The death glare is an INxJ trademark move :p

Assailant

MBTI Type
XYZ
I can't stand being used, but sometimes I automatically give in to people's demands just to be polite and once I realized what I've done I get angry at myself. (maybe this is more T/F?)
I get so irritated when people are submissive. UGH...weakness isn't cute, okay? What is the point of having your own opinion if you are just going to agree with everyone else?
While I acknowledge that you get angry at yourself after doing that, don't you think you're kind of contradidcting yourself?

I think you should provide more information about yourself. I ask this because if you are an INTJ, you most likely aren't a type 5 because Type 5 clashes with INTJ.

Maybe share:
  • Maybe what your friends would describe you as.
  • What you think are your best qualities, and what you believe your downfalls are.

candyshell

MBTI Type
INTJ
While I acknowledge that you get angry at yourself after doing that, don't you think you're kind of contradidcting yourself?

I think you should provide more information about yourself. I ask this because if you are an INTJ, you most likely aren't a type 5 because Type 5 clashes with INTJ.

Maybe share:
  • Maybe what your friends would describe you as.
  • What you think are your best qualities, and what you believe your downfalls are.
I realize that I was contradicting myself. xD The thing is, when I give in to polite acts sometimes it's COMPLETELY without thinking. The words just spill out, and I don't even realize I said them till a minute later. I really don't like doing things without thinking, I really don't like not having control, I don't want other people to think I am a pushover. These are just little things I give in to (like letting people borrow my things); if somebody says/does something that makes me upset I will call them out on it.
As for me getting irritated at OTHER people being submissive...this is more things like pretending to agree with everybody else, being excessively shy, low self confidence etc. just because you want "everybody on your side". (I have a particular person in mind while I'm writing this -_-)

I don't know much about enneagram, but I read a brief description on type 5. I don't really identify with it.

My friends? As for type...it switches. I can act calm and rational, or very dramatic, silly and energetic. Either way, they think I'm more laid back so probably a P. I think they'd say INTP when I'm being more logical and INFP (even ENFP) when I'm being "fun".
All of my friends agree that I am funny, cynical, unique and independent. One of my friends even called me "ferocious" (funny because I look like a 12 year old girl).

What I think are my best qualities:
-introspective, deep
-looking at all possibilities/sides of a situation
-when I get upset about something, I'm able to take the situation apart, realize if it's worth getting upset over and how I can fix the problem

Downfalls:
-inability to concentrate
-can be over-analytical to the point where I drive myself crazy.
-somewhat oversensitive to criticism

candyshell

MBTI Type
INTJ
I know that you aren't really supposed to rely on tests for finding your type, but I thought it might be worth mentioning I took this test: http://www.cognitivequiz.com/quiz.html
and got these results:
---
Based on your cognitive functions, your type is most likely:
Most Likely: INTJ
or Second Possibility: INTP
or Third Possibility: INFP

Your Cognitive Functions:
Introverted Intuition (Ni) ||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 12.63
Introverted Thinking (Ti) ||||||||||||||||||||||| 10.84
Introverted Feeling (Fi) ||||||||||||||||| 7.85
Extroverted Thinking (Te) ||||||||||| 4.7
Extroverted Intuition (Ne) ||||||||||| 4.65
Extroverted Feeling (Fe) |||||| 2.22
Introverted Sensation (Si) ||||| 1.7
Extroverted Sensation (Se) || -1.43

Your Introverted Intuition (Ni) is very developed.
Your Introverted Thinking (Ti) is very developed.
Your Extroverted Intuition (Ne) is moderate.
Your Introverted Sensation (Si) is moderate.
Your Extroverted Thinking (Te) is moderate.
Your Extroverted Feeling (Fe) is moderate.
Your Introverted Feeling (Fi) is moderate.
Your Extroverted Sensation (Se) is low.

Your cognitive functions are, in order of preference:
Ni - Ti - Fi - Te - Ne - Fe - Si - Se

A

Anew Leaf

An INTJ with the username candy shell? Now I have seen everything ;)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
There's one on Personality Nation called Happy who has a Taylor Swift avatar.

Ironic INTJ is ironic.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh and P.S. to Assailant up there: 5 is a very INTJ enneagram. Did you drop acid this morning?

The_World_As_Will

IMO, Definitely INTJ, i notice alot of Ni and Te, how does the below sound to you?

INTJ, or Introverted iNtuitive Thinking Judger, is a label borrowed from MBTI nomenclature and now applied to the Jungian Cognitive Function set {Ni, Te, Fi, Se}.

Dominant: Introverted iNtuition (Ni)

"I feel like most people skip too many steps. They're locked into frameworks of meaning that I neither identify with nor see as necessary or useful in the process of developing understanding. Of course, the ability to imagine new interpretations and platforms for understanding is the most important thing for me, though it's often difficult to convince others to peel away their own perspectives enough to even notice the sorts of conceptual leaps that strike me on a near-constant basis. I like to solve problems by stepping back and adjusting the building blocks that the whole issue is founded on: if you're not willing to do this, you're inevitably going to miss something that might completely change everything. And where would you be then? When you really understand something thoroughly, the answers will jump out at you so clearly that the problem practically solves itself. If that hasn't happened yet, then you're still missing something or looking at the problem the wrong way."

As Ni dominants, INTJs are neither strictly "idea" people nor strictly "process" people: while ideas and processes both factor heavily into what they do, it's the synthesis between the two that really characterizes their unique brand of insight. Like their Si dominant cousins, Ni dominants are most preoccupied with the way their own cognition personalizes information and condenses it into internalized "maps" of past experience. The difference is that while Si uses more precise and specific sensory data to formulate these maps (and thus builds more absolute completion over time), Ni would rather intuit the skeletal framework of the map based on past experience with other ideas or symbols that are merely conceptually related. This is both an advantage and a disadvantage, in that Ni can often predict what one's personal conceptual imprint for an unfamiliar experience will feel like and thus explore uncharted perceptual territory purely in one's own mind, but is limited in the level of sensory precision it can internalize and must often start over and "re-map" the finer details of familiar experiences using the same form of conceptual pattern-jumping that it used to arrive there in the first place.

In other words, INTJs find themselves able to see "around corners" in terms of conceptual limitations of languages and systems of symbols and their associated meanings. They can often "predict" meanings and interpretations which may not yet exist in the current system of available symbols, but they don't do this by adding more information or complexity. On the contrary: Ni works by simplifying complex problems into their component parts and slowly turning each one over to see how it looks from a different angle. Sometimes, if you look for it long enough and thoroughly enough, there's an angle nobody else has thought to look at or make use of yet.

INTJs may turn up with ideas and suggestions which seem to utterly turn accepted convention on its head--although that is not really their intention; they simply recognize a problem that needs to be solved and then adjust their individual perceptions of it until they see a way around it. Sometimes this results in a very typical and conventional solution; other times it doesn't. As long as it completes the desired task, it doesn't really matter. INTJs never feel like they can really get a sense of the real scope of a problem until they are able to stop making the same unnecessary/misleading assumptions that everyone else makes without even realizing it.

"Back to basics" (or some variation thereof) is a phrase I hear often when requesting the advice of an INTJ, particularly in regards to problems I'm having trouble solving. Perpetually aware of the problem of interpretation, the more an INTJ explores the many facets of a given idea, the more he discovers there is to know about it and the less prepared he feels to react competently without spending the necessary time to break down every newly discovered piece into smaller, more digestible pieces. The more INTJs consciously practice this "break it down into simpler parts" process, the more they find themselves able to instantaneously visualize the all-encompassing solution they're after. Often that solution is far simpler than anyone expects: while everyone else is busy looking for more ways to jam a circular object into a triangular space, the INTJ is trying to conceptualize a triangular object which may not yet exist. The only reason the INTJ "knows" it exists is that the existence of a triangular space implies conceptually that it should be possible--even if it's not on the map most people are using right now.

Auxiliary: Extroverted Thinking (Te)

"All credibility, all good conscience, all evidence of truth come only from the senses."
--Friedrich Nietzsche, INTJ

The problem, however, with relying exclusively on Ni, is that it grants the INTJ all the perceptual depth in the world, but no breadth of applicability by which to connect his ideas to any measurable or useful external context. Enter Te: it's vital for Pi dominants (IxxJ) to develop fluency in an objectively verifiable language by which they can structure, predict, and evaluate the way the world around them behaves (or, at the very least, however it seems to behave according to collective human understanding.) INTJs realize that, ultimately, all "objectivity" in the truest sense is impossible; however, since our perceptions are all we have to go on, we may as well agree on some standards for quantifying and measuring external phenomena so that we at least have some sort of common ground on which to move toward meaningful goals. This is why so many INTJs find work and enjoyment in the sciences: the scientific method provides as objective a measurement of any given phenomenon as can be realistically achieved, and it's widely credited and supported by virtually all of the people most INTJs consider intelligent and worth listening to. It works consistently for everybody in all sorts of different contexts, and the experts all agree it's the most efficient method = Te dream.

When it comes to logical structure, Te firmly believes in agreeing upon a consistent standard of measurement: We need a yardstick that can prove quantitatively and empirically what the experts all agree makes logical sense in terms of categorical organization. For INTJs, depth of analysis is best served through iNtuition in the form of Ni--trying to apply depth to the process of structured organization is a fruitless effort because logic's fundamental purpose is to apply to the widest possible range of different contexts in the same standardized, consistently predictable way. Thus, from a Te standpoint, individualized or subjective "logic" is neither useful nor consistent with the purpose of logic itself.

As the INTJ develops Te further, she finds herself increasingly able to delegate tasks and render her prodigious visions into real projects and processes that generate measurable progress on a realistic timetable. She learns to coordinate the various different disciplines and processes required to accomplish her goals, and she finds herself naturally talented at breaking down larger processes into small enough tasks that the entire project becomes a manageable reality. This vital objective factors into Te's continuing love affair with the concepts of personal independence, responsibility, and accountability. TJs want to show that they are capable of managing resources intelligently and efficiently, and that they can stand on their own two feet and say honestly that they depend only on themselves for sustenance and support. Society is, to Te, a large system of interrelated logical relationships, and the system won't function properly unless each member is ultimately responsible for himself. TJs hate being dependent upon or subservient to others, and they pride themselves on their ability to generate more resources than they consume.

It is of paramount importance to Te to consider the limitations upon available resources and ensure that they are distributed in the most efficient manner possible. INTJs often excel in management positions where they are free to envision optimally efficient working conditions and design, improve, or adjust real-world processes and methodologies accordingly. When they commit themselves to a project--which they will not do unless they either truly consider it worthwhile, or need the money--they will push themselves to fulfill their agreements to the greatest extent possible within the restraints of the resources allocated. They hold themselves to high standards in this regard, for if they do not uphold the collective standards by which Te governs the structural relationships between external world entities (i.e., laws, procedures, rules, measurements, quantitative standards), they are all too aware that they will have no recourse when the parties they work with fail to hold up their own ends of the bargain. If nothing else, INTJs can be counted on to reliably complete the tasks they've agreed to. This is a matter of not only personal pride but also of practical utility--if one establishes a reputation for disregarding the accepted Te methodology among the people he seeks to work with, he may very well find others unwilling to work with him in the future.

Tertiary: Introverted Feeling (Fi)

It's often difficult for other types to understand why INTJs can appear so cold and uncaring, so utterly disinterested in interpersonal matters and disconnected from the needs and feelings of others. Indeed, this poses a substantial problem for INTJs when it comes to one of their characteristic weak points: social interaction. The cause of this can be attributed to some combination of Te ("Engaging in small talk and pampering the feelings of people I dislike is not a productive use of anyone's time, and time is a valuable resource") and Fi ("If I don't actually like or empathize with this person, I don't see any reason I should have to connect emotionally with him when I don't want to.")

Often, the cultural expectations that suggest to INTJs that they should participate in social rituals strike them as unfair and arbitrary impositions upon their personal freedom. They are being offered a courtesy they didn't ask for, and then chastised when they don't return the favor. "If there's no law, no empirically standardized logical relationship requiring that I do this, why should I be judged negatively when I don't?", Te asks.

And unfortunately, this question can't really be answered fully in Te terms. The Te argument for participating in cultural ritual tends to point out that if you pretend to indulge meaningless rituals, you will create more opportunities to get your real goals completed because people will view you more favorably and thus be more willing to cooperate with your wishes. And that's the way many INTJs convince themselves to put up with it.

But in truth, that's only a half-hearted solution that doesn't even begin to hint at the full spectrum of perspectives available to a well-balanced INTJ who has learned to command tertiary Fi. This is a milestone that many INTJs take a long time to learn to place much value on: Fi allows them to judge and evaluate subjectively, according to an individual, personalized standard that won't bend for anyone else's opinions and provides an absolute moral compass connecting them directly to their true sense of value and higher purpose. For many INTJs, the ability to introvert judgment in the form of tertiary Fi provides a much-needed counterbalance to Te's coldly impersonal and objective evaluations. It grants a more refined sense of aesthetic taste and artistic value: Instead of merely measuring by numbers, Fi leads the INTJ to consider the emotional and moral impact that art and aesthetics have on him--he learns to empathize with the soul of the poet, the painter, the writer, the musician. He no longer simply understands conceptually; he identifies.

Fi grants the INTJ a connection to something greater than himself, more powerful than his worldly goals and aspirations, and ultimately more important in principle than the sum of everything he will ever accomplish in his lifetime. It connects him to a deeply personal sense of responsibility to uphold that which is Good and Just, to decide for himself what causes are worthwhile beyond the scope of his own prerogatives and benefits. In short, it allows him to set some definite barriers in terms of right and wrong.

The inability to do this can be a substantial problem for INTJs who ignore or fail to develop Fi. Since Ni can adjust its interpretation to anything that serves the goals Te deems efficient expenditures of resources, a lack of any substantial introverted judgment function can result in the justification of virtually any action or position--dominant Ni is all too aware that as long as you shift vantage points and look at it the right way, any interpretation can be potentially justified. This poses a major problem for the INTJ persona--as a case in point, consider the character Kurtz in the film Apocalypse Now: Obsessed with winning the Vietnam War at all costs (his objectively defined Te goal), Kurtz seeks to utterly eliminate any trace of human compassion from himself, believing that the only effective method for defeating the Vietcong is to beat them at their own game by indulging in unrestrained brutality and eliminating any and all regard for human life in the process.

In short, he tries to Ni the Fi out of his own cognition in order to fulfill Te's agenda. It ultimately doesn't work: after all the horror and bloodshed he inflicts upon the native people surrounding him, he still has a conscience, and he allows Willard to kill him, knowing that his experiment has failed and that he needs to be stopped for the sake of the greater good.

When Te is poorly developed, resulting in a so-called "NiFi loop", the INTJ becomes increasingly threatened by the pressures of conforming to any sort of externalized expectation or methodology whatsoever. By accepting or promoting any such objective information, the NiFi loop INTJ feels he is compromising the purity of Ni's insight by exposing it to potentially misleading bias, and he resents the expectations of others for him to change what he views as his personal moral identity (Fi.) He will withdraw further and further from all forms of interaction, convinced that the only way to develop pure and complete understanding is to block out any and all external sources of information. Deliberately distancing himself ever further from any link to objective reality, all manner of bizarre and irrational impressions are indulged as isolated (and objectively unsubstantiated) Fi value judgments color Ni's increasingly elaborate perceptions of the sinister affronts invariably hiding around every corner. That weird recluse down the street who wears a tin foil hat 24/7 to stop the government from penetrating his brain with secret nefarious mind control signals? Probably an NiFi loop INTJ.

Inferior: Extroverted Sensation (Se)

It's worth noting that introverted perception takes great pains to limit its perceptual intake to certain specific kinds of information with which it is comfortable and familiar, because understanding this concept helps us to see why extroverted perception (which encourages taking in the greatest possible quantity of different varieties of new information) generates such a difficult psychological barrier for the IxxJ types.

In the INTJ's case, inferior Se is forced out primarily during highly stressful moments where taking in massive quantities of new external information and adapting and responding to it in real time becomes necessary. This is where IJs flounder the most: they are most at home when Pi is allowed to select the type of information it wishes to perceive and then focus intently on absorbing it into the internal template for that type of experiential input, which Je will then consult in its decision as to which externally accepted methodology will prove most effective. When all sorts of different kinds of information are thrown in her face at once, however, the INTJ must resort to inferior Se in order to catch them all and have any hope of responding before the opportunity is gone. She must act purely on immediate impulse with no time for reflection or consideration; she is forced to navigate terrain that she not only lacks a map for, but that she doesn't even have any related experiential templates to turn to for guidance. She must improvise.

When this happens to INTJs, the enormous flood of undifferentiated information accompanied by the feeling of total loss of control generated by the inability to reflect or consider the options before responding is extraordinarily threatening. Left with no other option, inferior Se leads the INTJ to resort to his most base animal instincts: fight or flight. Even the normally composed, calm, and reserved INTJ may be prone to occasional bouts of total indiscretion, resulting in extreme indulgence in sensual pleasures or outright rage and even physical violence (or at least overt threats thereof.)

I have also seen, on more than one occasion, an INTJ purchase expensive status symbols (fancy cars, big houses, etc.) for the simple purpose of showing off how much his hard work and perseverance has paid off in an immediately noticeable, material sense. On some level, INTJs are aware that ostentatious possessions are the only language some people will understand--and while they tend to consider this a rather primitive value system, they're glad to oblige by occasionally dropping significant money on really nice possessions. This way, they can simultaneously indulge their unconscious Se desires while telling themselves they're only doing it as a private little in-joke with themselves, where Ni can laugh at how heavily such a trivially shallow display of status and power can impact the perceptions of the silly little everyday people around them.

As Ni dominants, INTJs are naturally averse to a focus on literal surface meaning, because it threatens Ni's insistence on defining one's identity by the ability to see past the obvious and intuit the less obvious interpretation, the hidden meaning beneath the surface. If they ever learn to command Se in a positive way (which is somewhat rare), INTJs will learn to discern situations in which there is no underlying meaning, or at least in which looking for it is neither useful nor productive. For an Ni dominant, shutting off this desire to see "between the lines" and focus purely on the immediate sensory content in from of him is just as threatening as turning off vision, hearing, touch, taste, and smell would be for an Se dominant. He feels lost, confused, and woefully subject to the same lowest-common-denominator surface deception that his entire self-image prides itself on its natural ability to discern and avoid.

Nonetheless, some INTJs do eventually learn to command Se in a useful way. It confers some sense of what's popular and immediately effective on a literal sensory level, which often partners with Te's desire to be judged as competent and effective in leading INTJs to take serious pride in their physical appearances, and to be certain that their clothing, speech, and aesthetic tastes are up to date and in style (and thus do not preclude useful business opportunities they might otherwise have missed.) It provides them with an appreciation for things as they are instead of constantly looking for ways to reinterpret them as something else, and for the simple pleasures in life--good food, art and entertainment, physical intimacy--in a way that may, in time, strike them as more spiritually pure than the constant meta-analysis they're accustomed to. In a very well-balanced INTJ, Se should bolster Fi's sense of aesthetic appeal and artistic value ("How does this piece of art hide a disguised meaning that I can analyze?" will give way to, "How does this piece of art make me immediately feel?"), while allowing occasional controlled indulgence in pure, unadulterated fun, for no reason but its own merits.

And that's something, I think, that would make a lot of INTJs feel a lot better if they could get out of their systems in a healthy and non-destructive manner. The sooner we get that out of the way, the sooner we can get back to work.

candyshell

MBTI Type
INTJ
@The World As Will:
Thank you for posting this description. I didn't completely read it in depth but this is what I have to say about each function:
Ni: I definitely identify fully.
Te: I mostly identify. In particular, this:
"INTJs realize that, ultimately, all "objectivity" in the truest sense is impossible; however, since our perceptions are all we have to go on, we may as well agree on some standards for quantifying and measuring external phenomena so that we at least have some sort of common ground on which to move toward meaningful goals."
I really identify with this, and have thought this over several times.
Fi: As for the first couple of paragraphs, I do think I have a dislike for social norms but I don't think it's as extreme as described here? xD I mean, I don't like them but I think I'm okay at recognizing them and I somewhat understand their purpose.
From this description, I suppose it would be fair to assume I am an INTJ with developed Fi. I have pretty firm ideas about what is just/unjust or right/wrong. Actually, one of the main reasons I had doubts about being INTJ was because I thought I was too soft. I can be pretty sensitive (although this is probably partly because I am a hormonal teenage girl -_-)
Se: Hehe...the whole Se-freakout thing sounds like me in my biology class -_-

Alright. I think that settles it. Thank you to the posters here for helping me with my identity crisis... :alttongue:

Assailant

MBTI Type
XYZ

Oh and P.S. to Assailant up there: 5 is a very INTJ enneagram. Did you drop acid this morning?

If I were to drop acid, real havoc would arise, darling. How is 5 a very INTJ Ennea-type? Type 5s' thoughts are very non-linear, and INTJs don't seem to suit the non-linear thinking process. Type 5 ideally fits for INTP -- not INTJ. 5s learn for the sake of learning. If you two could explain why it seems highly plusible (plusible, not possible. I acknowledge it could be possible), then that would be a different story.

candyshell

MBTI Type
INTJ
If I were to drop acid, real havoc would arise, darling. How is 5 a very INTJ Ennea-type? Type 5s' thoughts are very non-linear, and INTJs don't seem to suit the non-linear thinking process. Type 5 ideally fits for INTP -- not INTJ. 5s learn for the sake of learning. If you two could explain why it seems highly plusible (plusible, not possible. I acknowledge it could be possible), then that would be a different story.
That's what I was thinking too, and why I don't really feel I identify with type 5. I enjoy extensive research but only on a couple of topics and I want to be able to apply my knowledge. However I think I'm a type 4 and wouldn't that be even less of an INTJ enneagram?

Assailant

MBTI Type
XYZ
That's what I was thinking too, and why I don't really feel I identify with type 5. I enjoy extensive research but only on a couple of topics and I want to be able to apply my knowledge. However I think I'm a type 4 and wouldn't that be even less of an INTJ enneagram?
Out of curiosity, what makes you think you're a Type 4? What other possible Ennea-types do you think could be you?

candyshell

MBTI Type
INTJ
Out of curiosity, what makes you think you're a Type 4? What other possible Ennea-types do you think could be you?
This page:
http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/TypeSix.asp
Since a young age I have always felt "different" from everybody else. I crave a clear sense of identity, and I've always kind of liked the idea of being "uniquely authentic"
And this:
Fours’ mantra becomes “I am myself. Nobody understands me. I am different and special,” while they secretly wish they could enjoy the easiness and confidence that others seem to enjoy.
I felt a lot like this when I was in middle school....I thought I had some sort of understanding of the world nobody else did, but I was still upset that I wasn't able to enjoy the same things as my peers.
I feel pretty certain about 4 but I identify a bit with 1, 5 and I guess 8
really, I can see a little bit of myself in all of them except 7.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTJ E4? That's quite possible, it's just rare/unusual. INTJ usually corresponds to E1, E5, or E6. I'd check with them first, and maybe look for a test to get an idea of what types you should investigate. I'm guessing you're an E1, seeing as you're the least E7 and you can relate to E4, which are both connected to E1.

candyshell

MBTI Type
INTJ
Okay, I took this test:
http://similarminds.com/test.html
My results:
Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||||||||| 74%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||| 18%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||| 46%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity |||||||||||| 50%
Type 5 Detachment |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 6 Anxiety |||||||||||||||| 62%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||| 18%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||||||||||| 58%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||||| 58%

Your main type is Type 1
Your variant is self pres (sp/so/sx)

type score type behavior motivation
1 18 I must be perfect and good to be happy.
5 17 I must be knowledgable and independent to be happy.
6 15 I must be secure and safe to be happy.
8 14 I must be strong and in control to be happy.
9 14 I must maintian a peaceful and easygoing environment to be happy.
4 12 I must be true to my emotions to be happy.
3 11 I must be impressive and attractive to be happy.
2 4 I must be helpful and caring to be happy.
7 4 I must be high and entertained to be happy.

So....my knowledge on the enneagram system is really limited. What exactly are the things at the top (Perfectionism, Helpfulness, Image Focus etc.) meaning what is their relation to each type?

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, I took this test:
http://similarminds.com/test.html
My results:
Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||||||||| 74%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||| 18%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||| 46%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity |||||||||||| 50%
Type 5 Detachment |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 6 Anxiety |||||||||||||||| 62%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||| 18%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||||||||||| 58%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||||| 58%

Your main type is Type 1
Your variant is self pres (sp/so/sx)

type score type behavior motivation
1 18 I must be perfect and good to be happy.
5 17 I must be knowledgable and independent to be happy.
6 15 I must be secure and safe to be happy.
8 14 I must be strong and in control to be happy.
9 14 I must maintian a peaceful and easygoing environment to be happy.
4 12 I must be true to my emotions to be happy.
3 11 I must be impressive and attractive to be happy.
2 4 I must be helpful and caring to be happy.
7 4 I must be high and entertained to be happy.

So....my knowledge on the enneagram system is really limited. What exactly are the things at the top (Perfectionism, Helpfulness, Image Focus etc.) meaning what is their relation to each type?

It's just what is characteristic of the types. There are some great type descriptions/resources here with regard to enneagram:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23463

There's the enneagram test on personality cafe if you like -- it's sort of accurate but it's a good starting point:

http://www.enneagramquiz.com/quiz.html