• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Elfboy an S in disguise?

Is Elfboy S?

• You guys are crazy, Elfboy is ENFP as hell!

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Elfboy might be ENFP

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Elfboy is N, but not ENFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Elfboy might be SJ

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Elfboy is definitely SJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Elfboy might be SP

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Elfboy is definitely SP

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, I said you were immature and living in a fantasy world, and this "shooing people away" thing seemed not-very-ENFP, but then you clarified what you meant by that, and that you just meant you don't like being imposed on to do particular things, and that's different.

in that case, what are we disagreeing on? I agree that my view of certain things is slightly unrealistic, but this is an error of misinformation, not immaturity. if we are disagreeing on nothing, than thankyou for patiently waiting out this obscene miscommunication without taking it personally

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
We're only disagreeing about Mary Poppins.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Mary Poppins is ENFJ, even, I've decided. She's very warm and accomodating for a Victorian woman, and furthermore, her entire goal is to bring children closer to their parents. What an ENFJ task to undertake. Her entire purpose in life is to make people's relationships stronger by using magic, silly words, and good manners.

ExFJ *is* directing. ExFPs is informing.

You seem to be confused.

I can see where you're coming from on this one, but I think the movie Mary Poppins is a great example of a strong INFJ. She's the hero of the story, so to speak, because she teaches within the social confines by subverting those confines. She's definitely Ni dominant, since she "works her magic" by looking at a situation differently, and gets others to do the same through the use of her Fe social graces. Indeed, its her strength in Ni that lets her break through the ESTJ George's point of least resistance. Ni comes first, also because of the extreme class difference between Mary (clean, but lower-class) and George (firmly upper-middle-class) which dominant Fe would lead more credence to (instead of simply tempering her approach in "A British Bank").

She is also more generally introverted, in that she enjoys her time with the family and with her friends, but is literally at home by herself. Finally, knowing that she must leave "when the wind changes" is about an Ni statement as there is.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[YOUTUBE="-746hpN-smg"]The Devil in disguise![/YOUTUBE]

I just came to think of this now that I saw the thread title :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I can see where you're coming from on this one, but I think the movie Mary Poppins is a great example of a strong INFJ. She's the hero of the story, so to speak, because she teaches within the social confines by subverting those confines. She's definitely Ni dominant, since she "works her magic" by looking at a situation differently, and gets others to do the same through the use of her Fe social graces. Indeed, its her strength in Ni that lets her break through the ESTJ George's point of least resistance. Ni comes first, also because of the extreme class difference between Mary (clean, but lower-class) and George (firmly upper-middle-class) which dominant Fe would lead more credence to (instead of simply tempering her approach in "A British Bank").

She is also more generally introverted, in that she enjoys her time with the family and with her friends, but is literally at home by herself. Finally, knowing that she must leave "when the wind changes" is about an Ni statement as there is.

Okay, INFJ would totally work too. :yes:

I definitely think she's Fe and Ni, but she could be an Ni dom, I'll accept that, sure.

I am amused right now by what I just figured out to be the the Banks' obvious ENFP/ISTJ archetypal marriage.

Maybe Mary is INFJ and Bert is ESTP. LOL! He seems ESxP to me.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Through what means of assessment?
- I have no physical coordination
- I am terrible at reading body language
- I am terrible at virtually every physical activity I've ever tried except fencing (which I was a friggin beast at btw, but just because I SJ'd the shit out of my training regimen and practiced repetitively for hours)
- I have no sense of real time

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
- I have no physical coordination
- I am terrible at reading body language
- I am terrible at virtually every physical activity I've ever tried except fencing (which I was a friggin beast at btw, but just because I SJ'd the shit out of my training regimen and practiced repetitively for hours)
- I have no sense of real time

Almost none of that is Se.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Elfboy has the ENFP taint upon him. That is not a bad thing.

I don't think that holding up 'very different' ENFPs as an example of how he can't possibly be them is a believable analysis - especially since some of things that are being said would make Elfboy more likely to be ENFP than those who are going 'nah ah, here be ENFP'.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Almost none of that is Se.

very well, I'll use your list

Se
-Experiencing the immediate context; taking action in the physical world; noticing changes and opportunities for action; accumulating experiences; scanning for visible reactions and relevant data; recognizing “what is.” Noticing what was available,
not entirely sure what this means, but my guess is sort of

trying on different items, and seeing how they look.
all the time, doesn't everyone do this?

-Freely follow your gut instincts and exciting physical impulses as they come up.
no

-Enjoy the thrill of action and physical experience in the present moment.
hell no. intense physical activity overwhelms me

-Quickly move to take advantage of immediate options for action.
intellectual options, not physical ones.

-Instantly read visible cues to see just how far you can go.no

-Spur action and pull off results simply by making your presence felt.
yes, but I think that's more Fi/Te

-Easily get in sync physically with people and things around you.
maybe

-Notice sensory data in the environment.
yes

Trust your instincts and take action relevant to the moment and current context.
no, I wish lol

overall, seems I have low-average use

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
and your other for comparison:

-Would be likely to jump right in and try to perform a task without spending much time researching the necessary skills, because experimenting and figuring it out in the middle of doing it is part of what's so stimulating for Ne.
absolutely

-Interpreting situations and relationships; picking up meanings and interconnections; being drawn to change “what is” for “what could possibly be”; noticing what is not said and threads of meaning emerging across multiple contexts. Noticing the possible meanings of what you might wear: “Wearing this might communicate…”
yes

-Offer various unrelated ideas and see what potential they might suggest.
definitely

-Enjoy playing with random interconnections and patterns.
definitely

-Engage life's magical moments and meaningful coincidences as they happen.
yup

-Keep following tangents and new ideas without limiting yourself to one.
more than I'd like to admit, I can't shut up about them sometimes

-Weave into the current dynamics of a situation aspects of other, random contexts.
once again, I do this WAY too much

-Trust what emerges from brainstorming.
sometimes

-Notice abstract patterns as they emerge. Shift a situation's dynamics and explore imaginative potential possibilities.
yes

-Making connections, ideas, possibilities, figuring something out and then going backwards to figure it out consciously, rapidly understanding information at a rate that is light years of other people, making distinctions that protect you from over generalizing, adapting quickly to change, learning through reflection on information you have already gathered and making connections, comparing/contrasting certain ideas and ways of doing things, distinguishing the best aspects of both and combining them into a new way of thinking/doing that is better than both of the originals.
I dominate at this

overall: I kick ass at Ne :D

PS: you think I'm SP now Savage Idealist?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^That's probably his Fi; he wants to be in charge so that he can command and correct peoples mistakes, and he hates being beneath the rule of others; he sees himself as better thus he should be the leader of others. I know cause I'm kinds the same way.

oh dear, I wasn't aware you had such a poor opinion of me

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Okay, INFJ would totally work too. :yes:

I definitely think she's Fe and Ni, but she could be an Ni dom, I'll accept that, sure.

I am amused right now by what I just figured out to be the the Banks' obvious ENFP/ISTJ archetypal marriage.

Maybe Mary is INFJ and Bert is ESTP. LOL! He seems ESxP to me.

I think Bert might actually be an INFP or an ISFP, even though it doesn't seem that way (given that Dick Van Dyke is about as E as it comes). He's incredibly strong in his feelings, and has the sort of grip on them that an Fi dom does - he takes both the good and the bad in their fullest, while remaining in control of who he is as a person. He's very wise, particularly given his lack of education, and he accurately diagnoses why Mr. Banks holds so steadily fast to his desires for order and precision with just a bare minimum of information. He then counsels George on the need to reconnect with his children: his heroics come through the use of Fi. I lean more toward INFP for two reasons - one, the absolute disregard he shows toward social class, and two, he argues using FeNi, subverting George's status issues to get his point across.

Now that I think about it, you're right on George being an ISTJ - his character development is through re-embracing his childlike Fi, and ability to connect with his kids as a result. Winifred is a particularly Edwardian ENFP, however, I could see her as ENTP as well. Now that I think about it, George could very well be a depressed INTJ, too - becoming rigid and unfeeling as a result of his almost-certainly harsh upbringing. He's stuck in an inferior-Se need to see external success and propriety, and deny the magic of the world seen through Ni. The play version is definitely a depressed ENFP: once idealistic, now stuck in his fine cage.

Also, just had a realization - given that the story is set in 1910, and that George is most likely in his early 30s at the time of the story, he'd have potentially been drafted six years (when conscription started) later to fight in the Great War. Thus, the whole theme of "be with your children, because time's running out" becomes even more acute. That's also in addition to the kids likely being sent to boarding school soon thereafter, which means that he would hardly see them in those ensuing six years.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
trying on different items, and seeing how they look.
all the time, doesn't everyone do this?

No. For example, I try on things to see if they fit, not how it looks on me.

-Freely follow your gut instincts and exciting physical impulses as they come up.
no

That's a crap question, because Ne also involves gut instincts, and those impulses often manifest physically.

-Enjoy the thrill of action and physical experience in the present moment.
hell no. intense physical activity overwhelms me

Because you don't like it, or because you're out of shape?

-Quickly move to take advantage of immediate options for action.
intellectual options, not physical ones.

There's no distinction there. Intuition isn't about intellectualism - some of the most intellectual people I know are ISTPs

-Instantly read visible cues to see just how far you can go.no

Explain.

-Spur action and pull off results simply by making your presence felt.
yes, but I think that's more Fi/Te

That's also something Ne doesn't do - it pulls off results by coming up with better options.

Trust your instincts and take action relevant to the moment and current context.
no, I wish lol

Also a crap question - Ne does exactly the same thing.

and your other for comparison:

-Would be likely to jump right in and try to perform a task without spending much time researching the necessary skills, because experimenting and figuring it out in the middle of doing it is part of what's so stimulating for Ne.
absolutely

Another bad question - Se is all about getting in there and getting one's hands dirty in order to learn.

-Interpreting situations and relationships; picking up meanings and interconnections; being drawn to change “what is” for “what could possibly be”; noticing what is not said and threads of meaning emerging across multiple contexts. Noticing the possible meanings of what you might wear: “Wearing this might communicate…”
yes

That honestly sounds more like Ni

-Offer various unrelated ideas and see what potential they might suggest.
definitely

Se uses imagination as well. Jung himself emphasized this point distinctly.

-Enjoy playing with random interconnections and patterns.
definitely

Need to elaborate on this. Se is all about patterns.

-Engage life's magical moments and meaningful coincidences as they happen.
yup

Once again, Se does this, too.

-Keep following tangents and new ideas without limiting yourself to one.
more than I'd like to admit, I can't shut up about them sometimes

Explain

-Weave into the current dynamics of a situation aspects of other, random contexts.
once again, I do this WAY too much

What makes the other contexts random?

-Trust what emerges from brainstorming.
sometimes

NeTi can often be about "the proof is in the pudding," especially if the idea comes from someone else.

-Notice abstract patterns as they emerge. Shift a situation's dynamics and explore imaginative potential possibilities.
yes

First, what is the definition of "abstract pattern?" The second sentence sounds more like Ni.

-Making connections, ideas, possibilities, figuring something out and then going backwards to figure it out consciously, rapidly understanding information at a rate that is light years of other people, making distinctions that protect you from over generalizing, adapting quickly to change, learning through reflection on information you have already gathered and making connections, comparing/contrasting certain ideas and ways of doing things, distinguishing the best aspects of both and combining them into a new way of thinking/doing that is better than both of the originals.
I dominate at this

xSxPs are familiar with all of these techniques.

overall: I kick ass at Ne :D

The whole point of this thread is that we beg to differ.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think Bert might actually be an INFP or an ISFP, even though it doesn't seem that way (given that Dick Van Dyke is about as E as it comes). He's incredibly strong in his feelings, and has the sort of grip on them that an Fi dom does - he takes both the good and the bad in their fullest, while remaining in control of who he is as a person. He's very wise, particularly given his lack of education, and he accurately diagnoses why Mr. Banks holds so steadily fast to his desires for order and precision with just a bare minimum of information. He then counsels George on the need to reconnect with his children: his heroics come through the use of Fi. I lean more toward INFP for two reasons - one, the absolute disregard he shows toward social class, and two, he argues using FeNi, subverting George's status issues to get his point across.

Now that I think about it, you're right on George being an ISTJ - his character development is through re-embracing his childlike Fi, and ability to connect with his kids as a result. Winifred is a particularly Edwardian ENFP, however, I could see her as ENTP as well. Now that I think about it, George could very well be a depressed INTJ, too - becoming rigid and unfeeling as a result of his almost-certainly harsh upbringing. He's stuck in an inferior-Se need to see external success and propriety, and deny the magic of the world seen through Ni. The play version is definitely a depressed ENFP: once idealistic, now stuck in his fine cage.

Also, just had a realization - given that the story is set in 1910, and that George is most likely in his early 30s at the time of the story, he'd have potentially been drafted six years (when conscription started) later to fight in the Great War. Thus, the whole theme of "be with your children, because time's running out" becomes even more acute. That's also in addition to the kids likely being sent to boarding school soon thereafter, which means that he would hardly see them in those ensuing six years.

ISFP for Bert, then, you're right about his softness and conviction of feeling, but I think he's definitely Se.

I think George is pretty Si, I don't see Ni in him at all. He loves external order and control, which could just be Te, but good lord, how he prizes that he has these conventional routines in his home, and everything being timed to the minute doesn't sound at all Ni to me. "Tradition , discipline, and rules..." He seems taken aback by any hint of chaos or anything unpredictable. I think he's an ISTJ who gets "emotionally freed" by his Fi/Ne at the end when he "loses his mind."

Dude looks more like 40 than 30 in the film version, btw...

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
ISFP for Bert, then, you're right about his softness and conviction of feeling, but I think he's definitely Se.

I think George is pretty Si, I don't see Ni in him at all. He loves external order and control, which could just be Te, but good lord, how he prizes that he has these conventional routines in his home, and everything being timed to the minute doesn't sound at all Ni to me. "Tradition , discipline, and rules..." He seems taken aback by any hint of chaos or anything unpredictable. I think he's an ISTJ who gets "emotionally freed" by his Fi/Ne at the end when he "loses his mind."

Dude looks more like 40 than 30 in the film version, btw...

True on the apparent age, but in the context of the story, he'd likely be early 30s. They didn't care so much about age-appropriate actors in the '60s, especially ones who could pull off patter-songs. ;)

Regarding George - some people resort to using heavy external structures to compensate for a disordered internal life. I'm somewhat disinclined to adopt his traits from the beginning of the film as his baseline personality, just because of the sea change that comes at the end. Furthermore, he was actively trying to repress the children's behavior throughout the film, rather than not understand it. It's reminiscent of someone who may be inclined toward similar sorts of fancy, but had it repressed through a brutal upbringing (likely in Victorian England, especially in a middle-class household). While I don't currently think that INTJ is the most likely option, there are certain things that point toward Ni, like

"Oh, yes. It is a word. A perfectly good word, actually. Do you know what there's no such thing
as? It turns out, with due respect, when all is said and done, that there's no such thing as you!"

At the same time, this sounds more like dom-tert Ne, and not inferior or shadow:

"I don't know. I might pop through a chalk pavement picture, and go for an outing in the country.
Or I might seize a horse off a merry-go-round, and win the derby! Or I might just fly a kite! Only
Poppins would know!"

So, really, who knows?

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think ExFP myself. SJ, most assertively not.