• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

bluebell is bored

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Self doubt is more my thing, rather than pigeon-hole-aversion.

So you even avert the pigeon holing that INTPs don't like to be pigeon holed. You INTP rebel you :devil:

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
*shrug* I'm 36, it's plausible. (I'm assuming your comment was directed at the occasional J-ishness rather than the questioning)

Ow. My head hurts now.

It's a good age, I sympathise. Start to get all excited about using all those secondary and tertiary functions... eg OMG I can be organised and it doesnt actually HURT!

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
It's a good age, I sympathise. Start to get all excited about using all those secondary and tertiary functions... eg OMG I can be organised and it doesnt actually HURT!

The J-ishness is coming out in being more decisive and slight irritation when decisions take forever to be made, or are revisited. I think, but I could be wrong, that I'm getting more confidence in my own judgement (in the workplace use of the word, not MBTI). Also more confidence in being able to deal with the consequences of making an imperfect decision. Not sure if I've only just noticed that or whether it's only recently developed.

I'm not very organised with actual physical things, though. I wrote this at the other place a couple of days ago:

How I am at work is probably a good example of how I operate. My desk is a wreck. Paper everywhere, piles overlapping piles, none of the desk is visible. The layers are getting a couple of inches thick in places (this is despite trying to tidy up a few times recently). There is a bit of method to the madness, though, and sometimes I can find what I'm looking for.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
The J-ishness is coming out in being more decisive and slight irritation when decisions take forever to be made, or are revisited. I think, but I could be wrong, that I'm getting more confidence in my own judgement (in the workplace use of the word, not MBTI). Also more confidence in being able to deal with the consequences of making an imperfect decision. Not sure if I've only just noticed that or whether it's only recently developed.

I'm not very organised with actual physical things, though. I wrote this at the other place a couple of days ago:

Right! I once had a work appraisal that said "If Geoff wants to be seen as a professional, he should have the desk of one"

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Right! I once had a work appraisal that said "If Geoff wants to be seen as a professional, he should have the desk of one"

I'm currently tucked away in the corner of an open plan office so I've had no official pressure to clean up yet, although plenty of ribbing from colleagues who have tidy desks. Last year, though, I got told by someone in our team that our new boss was very unhappy with the piles of paper under my desk being so visible to everyone who walked past. So, I caved and tidied that up.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Why is bluebell bored? You still have Tpol to beat in Mahjong. ;)

Kidding aside, I still think that you're an INTP. Hell, I've never really doubted it, or seen any other type in you, tbh.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Why is bluebell bored? You still have Tpol to beat in Mahjong. ;)

What?

*checks arcade* Oh well, I got a hug out of it anyway. 'sall good.

Kidding aside, I still think that you're an INTP. Hell, I've never really doubted it, or seen any other type in you, tbh.

Thanks for the feedback. Btw, did you read the differences between INTJs and INTPs thread on here? That got thinking me a bit.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
What?

*checks arcade* Oh well, I got a hug out of it anyway. 'sall good.

Apparently she just did it, too. It's not like I compulsivly check Mahjong scores, I just thought "bluebell = Mahjong" and lo and behold, now Tpol = Mahjong since only a few hours ago. This kind of thing is always happening to me.

Thanks for the feedback. Btw, did you read the differences between INTJs and INTPs thread on here? That got thinking me a bit.

I didn't, I'm afraid I've kind of lost my motivation to get into the more detailed discussions of MBTI. I think the generalized archetypes are really the most useful thing about it. You just seem a lot more holistic than how I understand INTJs to be (I always think of their thinking going along specific pathways, like computer circuits, finding and revealing what they need to know quickly and efficiently, whereas an INTP is like water flooding over a desert, spreading out and absorbing everything, and then just sitting on it).

And something extra to entertain bluebell: YouTube - They Might Be Giants - Never Go To Work

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
In my case it's just boredom and a need to infuse a little self doubt so I have something more to ponder. Complacency changes my mindset. Plus there's always a need for problems, that's why there's usually self doubt. I don't know that I necessarily like certainty either.

Anyways... from my brief observation and interaction of you bluebell you seem like someone whose thought patterns are not so foreign from my own. The way you defend, elaborate, and attack your messages is very introverted. The thinking and clarity is also indicative of T dom. Intuition is pretty clear as well, you seamlessly transition with other intuitors and don't engage in conversations in a contrary fashion. INTJ is not something I've ever considered for you.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Apparently she just did it, too. It's not like I compulsivly check Mahjong scores, I just thought "bluebell = Mahjong" and lo and behold, now Tpol = Mahjong since only a few hours ago. This kind of thing is always happening to me.

*grin*

And something extra to entertain bluebell: YouTube - They Might Be Giants - Never Go To Work

I would like to make this my own personal anthem now. Thanks! :D

In my case it's just boredom and a need to infuse a little self doubt so I have something more to ponder. Complacency changes my mindset. Plus there's always a need for problems, that's why there's usually self doubt. I don't know that I necessarily like certainty either.

Self-doubt is second nature, although I'm not too fussed about actual type. More, trying to get a better insight. (although, both times I've opened this thread it's been 90% out of boredom or need to be distracted)

Anyways... from my brief observation and interaction of you bluebell you seem like someone whose thought patterns are not so foreign from my own. The way you defend, elaborate, and attack your messages is very introverted. The thinking and clarity is also indicative of T dom. Intuition is pretty clear as well, you seamlessly transition with other intuitors and don't engage in conversations in a contrary fashion. INTJ is not something I've ever considered for you.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The one bit that I'm not clear on though, does appearing IXXP on the outside imply anything about what's going on inside? ie I'm not sure if you mean that I could appear INTPish because of the wanting to blend and hide in childhood and it's a habit that's stuck, but the core is something else? Or am I totally confused about this? (quite possible)

I’m kind of reaching but yes I'd suggest the two would be linked. The only reason I suggest this is because you say you can relate to some INTJ traits and one possible reason in my mind as to why you thought you were and came across as INTP if you’re not, is because of childhood issues that are unresolved emotionally.

I don't know how much faith to put in those cognitive processes tests, though. I've seen results that don't gel at all with how the person comes across. I'm also not convinced I understand all of the questions or whether I should be comparing myself to others when answering.

I put a lot more faith in understanding the cognitive processes and figuring it out for yourself than the tests.

It's a bit tricky for me to get much insight about typing myself by looking at childhood. I had to do a lot of stuff just to survive (literally) and it's hard to disentangle the survival behaviour from the intrinsic behaviour, external behaviour in particular. I do remember getting told off if I couldn't explain why I knew something. I tried to say as little as possible anywhere. But, I have a notebook from age 12 which seems to be more Ne than Te. I think.

A notebook from sproglett bb would be a great indicator as to your natural functions then :yes:

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I’m kind of reaching but yes I'd suggest the two would be linked. The only reason I suggest this is because you say you can relate to some INTJ traits and one possible reason in my mind as to why you thought you were and came across as INTP if you’re not, is because of childhood issues that are unresolved emotionally.

Hadn't quite thought about it like that. I was thinking about it the other way round - that the J-ishness came from childhood pressures (I was *not* allowed to think about decisions, I had to choose quickly and immediately and if I chose wrong or took too long, I would miss out completely and/or get in trouble). I'll ponder your idea for a bit. If nothing else, it's another angle to view things from.

A notebook from sproglett bb would be a great indicator as to your natural functions then :yes:

Whaddya reckon:

I wonder what fire actually is and is it made of. Is it a gas or liquid? Why does it only burn some things? Why is it hot? Why does water make it disappear?

How can the universe have existed forever but if it didn't what was there before it? Why is there a sun? How did scientists work out that the universe goes on forever? ... It is very difficult to imagine the universe without anything visible in it because I always imagine it having a top and a bottom. Obeying all rules there is no such thing as top and bottom [of the universe].

...Why are there suns? What is gravity? Why do we have stronger gravity than the moon? ... What is energy? If you let out some air on the moon what would happen to it?

Sproglett bb, age 12. The other writing at that age is trying to puzzle out the social dynamics at school. I saw the behaviour, wanted to mimic it but didn't understand what drove any of it.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sproglett bb rocks!

They're the kind of questions I pondered only I didn't write stuff down. Now we just need to know if an INTJ would have been inspired to get them answered or been satisfied with simply pondering.

I'm gonna lock in INTP now ;)

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Sproglett bb rocks!

yay!

They're the kind of questions I pondered only I didn't write stuff down. Now we just need to know if an INTJ would have been inspired to get them answered or been satisfied with simply pondering.

Oh, I didn't want them answered. That woulda spoiled all the fun. The only reason I wanted to know more at that age was so I could ask more questions.

:cheese:

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm currently tucked away in the corner of an open plan office so I've had no official pressure to clean up yet, although plenty of ribbing from colleagues who have tidy desks. Last year, though, I got told by someone in our team that our new boss was very unhappy with the piles of paper under my desk being so visible to everyone who walked past. So, I caved and tidied that up.
My desk at work is usually immaculate (+ Howard Hughes clean - can't tolerate other ppls' cooties.).
Desk at home is an abomination. In fact, I can't even get into my office because there is stuff everywhere waiting to be organised.
My inner J comes out at work - pressing for closure, impatience with ambiguity, highly scheduled, results-oriented etc.
Project management mindset forces this.
Oh, I didn't want them answered. That woulda spoiled all the fun. The only reason I wanted to know more at that age was so I could ask more questions.

fer sher.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
INTP.

Before I got to know you at all, I thought you were an S. Then I realized how very, very wrong that was.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
My inner J comes out at work - pressing for closure, impatience with ambiguity, highly scheduled, results-oriented etc.
Project management mindset forces this.

Yeah, similar (I also do a lot of project management). Actually, thinking back a year or so ago, I was more into postponing decisions until we had all the information, but recently I've shifted more into the pressing for closure mindset that you describe. Not sure where that shift came from. Maybe it was getting burnt a few too many times by delayed decisions.

INTP.

Before I got to know you at all, I thought you were an S. Then I realized how very, very wrong that was.

Funnily enough, I think I'd guessed that.

Unless you'd told me once and I'd forgotten, which is quite possible.