User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default Please help me figure out my MBTI type

I had to take this test back in college, and I have been giving it a lot of thought recently. Both then (2005) and today when I took the test, I scored as an INTJ each time. However, my sister insists I'm not an INTJ, and I didn't agree with a lot of the questions that were asked. I am a complete novice in this situation, so I was wondering if you guys could help me out. Maybe I am an INTJ after all, but I would like to get some personal feedback rather than just an online test.
    Firstly, I know I am an introvert. I've been one my entire life. When I was younger I did not like to meet new people, and I only spent time with my closest friends. However, I do not seem to fit the normal bill of an introvert. I do not have any trouble with public speaking; in fact, I actually like it to some extent. As long as I have a non-personal topic I am discussing, I enjoy speaking in front of people knowing they do not know anything about me. I am also a reasonably social person. Like most introverts, I am quickly drained by social situations and I usually do not look forward to them. However, I have learned to find enjoyment in studying other people and their reactions to social situations, and well as reactions to social experiments I might perform on others. I love to study people and watch how they react. Basically, I'm an introvert that likes to pretend to be an extrovert.
    I also noticed a lot of questions seemed to be based on how I react to an event - Do I tend to be spontaneous or methodical. I don't think I have feelings one way or another... maybe I'm not looking at the question correctly, but I don't feel strongly in this regard. Similarly, I noticed a few "adventure vs. stability" questions. But what if I like stability because it provides the opportunity for adventure? I like having a set schedule, knowing I can take a vacation away from it. I have traveled to many countries, and I love it, but I also like coming back home to a routine.
    A few other points- I am an extreme perfectionist. I thought this, in itself, would be the largest determining factor in my personality type, but after doing research I noticed that there are many other types that perfectionists tend to lean towards, so I don't know where that puts me. I also noticed recently that I have a strong desire to be very important to my friends and family- for example, when a close friend of mine did not ask me to be in his wedding earlier this year, it was one of the most painful moments of my life. It's like I have some drive to have my friends all depend on me rather than anyone else.
    I am not very creative - I do not play any instrument or have any artistic abilities. I do not consider myself a highly emotional person, at least outwardly. I am the youngest of a large family (I don't know why this is important, but it was asked on a couple of the tests, and people usually say that fact "explains me")

My Enneagram Personality Type results-
    Type 1: -4
    Type 2: 1
    Type 3: 0
    Type 4: 9 (!)
    Type 5: 3
    Type 6: -1
    Type 7: 1
    Type 8: -3
    Type 9: -6

So, is it fair to say I am an INTJ? Is there any other research you would recommend for me?
    Thanks in advance!

ReflecTcelfeR

I say ISTP. Something that struck me as most interesting was the fact that you enjoy stability because it allows for spontaneity. I feel like introverted intuition and extraverted sensing are playing in tandem here. I do think you're a T and your more recent need for someone to depend on you hints towards inferior Fe. That's what I see.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I was actually going to guess INXJ. While there are enneagram type 4's who are T, it's far more common for them to be F. However you mentioned that you prefer discussing non-personal topics, something I see as being more consistent with T, particularly IT. The part about not being emotional outwardly also suggests INTJ is more likely. The part about feeling very hurt that your friend didn't ask you to be in the wedding could be suggestive of F but not necessarily. It could be like ReflettcelfeR said, indicative of inferior Fe, except I don't think you're ISTP as you strike as more J than P, especially the part below:

Quote Originally Posted by exceltea View Post
    I also noticed a lot of questions seemed to be based on how I react to an event - Do I tend to be spontaneous or methodical. I don't think I have feelings one way or another... maybe I'm not looking at the question correctly, but I don't feel strongly in this regard. Similarly, I noticed a few "adventure vs. stability" questions. But what if I like stability because it provides the opportunity for adventure? I like having a set schedule, knowing I can take a vacation away from it. I have traveled to many countries, and I love it, but I also like coming back home to a routine.
    A few other points- I am an extreme perfectionist. I thought this, in itself, would be the largest determining factor in my personality type, but after doing research I noticed that there are many other types that perfectionists tend to lean towards, so I don't know where that puts me.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

ReflecTcelfeR

I wanted to say IxFJ. I imagine that's where we'll end, but I suppose I wanted to mix it up a little. And I think INTJ's and ISTP's can look very similar even in thought process. Though more so with ENTJ's. And the comfortable speaking in front of crowds depending on the motivation could be Fe, or Se (If that gives you a kind of rush, hahaha).

For curiosities sake, which do you relate too most, if any: (They're from this website - http://greenlightwiki.com/lenore-exe...hical_Exegesis)

(Ni) focuses on what is inexpressible--the incommensurable and chaotic things that exist outside of any conceptual framework. For example, what do you hear in the theme-and-variations movement of Beethoven's String Quartet Op. 131? There is a meaning there, but you can't put it into words. Any attempt to put it into words will result in only a tawdry parody of the reality. Better to remain silent. As an epistemological perspective, Ni leads you to view all signs as meaningless or even deceptive, not necessarily connected to what they're supposed to represent. The true reality is something that exists beyond all signs and appearances, and can only be apprehended by a kind of direct intuition. To learn truth, one must learn to see through appearances--to make contact with a reality that cannot be seen or said. As an ethical perspective, Ni leads you to hold yourself apart from and unaffected by the meanings that others attach to words and events--to keep your own vision pure and pursue your own path regardless of evidence, reasons, or the opinions of others.

or

(Ti) makes sense of the world by apprehending it in terms of effects emerging from a cause, or a harmony of elements. For example, the way a beautifully made desk appears to emerge from a single idea. As an epistemological perspective, Ti leads one to trust only things that you understand first-hand for yourself, preferably through direct, hands-on interaction. You must see for yourself how a given thing or subject makes sense. Knowledge must emerge from the concrete reality itself, not from preconceived categories or criteria, and the search for knowledge must follow wherever logic and the subject matter lead, regardless of how people feel about it. As an ethical perspective, Ti leads you to do what is best for the system regardless of reward or gain or social conventions that define right and wrong behavior. For example, the sense of "natural law" that guides Clint Eastwood to do what needs doing in Old West towns regardless of the law.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    I say ISTP. Something that struck me as most interesting was the fact that you enjoy stability because it allows for spontaneity.
    Yes, but the J allows for spontaneity. It's called PLANNED spontaneity. And in the description above, stability comes first.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by exceltea View Post

So, is it fair to say I am an INTJ? Is there any other research you would recommend for me?
    Thanks in advance!
    http://www.keys2cognition.com/explore.htm
    http://tap3x.net/indicators/5level2a.html

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Yes, but the J allows for spontaneity. It's called PLANNED spontaneity. And in the description above, stability comes first.
    Very true.

MBTI
    TiNe
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

There are planning perceivers (I am one of them) though we could argue that other facts (anxiety) made them a bit more Judging that they should be.
    It would be nice to know what people mean by "planning" as well, I've noticed that people don't always talk about the same kind of planning.

At first, I thought that ISTP was a strange idea and I would have said I*FJ (I don't see much informations about intuiting/sensing in this post, we don't have much informations about the P/J dichotomy either, what I see is confidence and feelings) because of the part about the feelings, then I thought about my brother who is an ISTP and realised that he tends to be possessive with people he really love and is somewhat traditional in his conception of family, the description also indicate that ISTP have strong feelings (I actually wondered whether my brother was a T or a F sometimes).

Everyone is different, ISTPs are too often described as the sporty and adventurous type but it really depends on what they like, they are rather pratical but can also be good with theory (TiSeNiFe), they can be extremely sensitive as well, obivously. It probably depend on their age and how developped their various functions are.

You show confidence (more than extroversion, it's not unusual for introverts, they aren't necessarily shy or unable to talk in front of people, I actually work as a teacher and am an introvert) in areas which interest you which is stereotypically INTJ (but not limited to this type) and strong emotions but a thinking preference in the first part of your message.

studying other people and their reactions to social situations
    reactions to social experiments I might perform on others
    I love to study people and watch how they react
    I've seen many other introvert thinkers who enjoy doing this, mostly females (yes, I'm stereotyping but I sometimes think that descriptions of types are gender biased and biased in general).

ISTPs can definitely be confused with INT*. My father is hard to type because he sometimes seem to be an ISTP and sometimes seems to be more of an INT* but is definetely an ISTP (who seemed a bit more extrovert when he was young and isn't very emotional, some people are more on the T end of the spectrum than others).

http://morriscat.50megs.com/type/istptype.html
    http://morriscat.50megs.com/type/intjtype.html
    http://morriscat.50megs.com/type/ <--- any other type.

You could also read about functions but sometimes they are confusing because to functions working together can immitate another.
    Feel no shame for what you are...

INTP
    5w4 or 5w6 sp/so

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Inconnue View Post
    There are planning perceivers (I am one of them) though we could argue that other facts (anxiety) made them a bit more Judging that they should be.
    It would be nice to know what people mean by "planning" as well, I've noticed that people don't always talk about the same kind of planning.
    Planning is one thing, achieving closure is another. A plan exists primarily in the mind. I've known people who always had a plan of some sort, but nothing ever came of it. There was never any J-closure.

MBTI
    TiNe
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Planning is one thing, achieving closure is another. A plan exists primarily in the mind. I've known people who always had a plan of some sort, but nothing ever came of it. There was never any J-closure.
    Agreed. And I think that part is usually not taken into consideration in tests or descriptions therefore most people consider planners to be Js, it's really easy to score as a Judger, I do it almost all the time because of the innacuracy of tests.
    Feel no shame for what you are...

INTP
    5w4 or 5w6 sp/so