First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I don't know if INTJs experience that last part.
    In my experience they do but not literally. Kind of similar to the way that INTPs are aware of solid and concrete data but tend to have it held in an almost fuzzy focus.

That's an approximation of what I was thinking of anyhow, neatly and inadvertently illustrating the point.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    In my experience they do but not literally. Kind of similar to the way that INTPs are aware of solid and concrete data but tend to have it held in an almost fuzzy focus.
    Ah, neat way to say it!
    I think it's right but for some reason am still mulling it.

(Probably like trying to look at the entire system / big picture at one time, and to understand it you need a solid awareness of the parts involved... but you're not focused on the individual parts, you are still focused on the big picture/sense and so you only notice the data peripherally.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Ah, neat way to say it!

(Probably like trying to look at the entire system / big picture at one time, and to understand it you need a solid awareness of the parts involved... but you're not focused on the individual parts, you are still focused on the big picture/sense and so you only notice the data peripherally.)
    Looking for the correct definition

As a fellow obsessor on definitions, please do let me know if you find one. It's going to bug me until I can define it properly.

MBTI
    INXP

Xander's comments on organization: Yes, I'll organize... when I have to. if my life is too cluttered, or something has to get done, and I can't think straight anymore, then I will organize. And I can be good at it, depending on what exactly I am doing. Being a P does not mean that you can't organize and simplify when you need to.
    As an INXP I organise too - indeed all of my work is scheduled in the office as live targetted "to-do's" with categorisation and deadlines. Now, this makes me sound like a "J" right? Well.. no.. it's actually because I'm lazy. The bigger picture is that organising myself to this degree gives rise to less effort in the execution of the work than just being messy. I think partly Xander might be experiencing this.

A healthy INTP may well be organised, because they are too lazy to be sloppy (it can be less effort to tidy up as you go, even though it doesn't strike a natural preference).

I think the key test is whether one likes being organised and scheduled by others. if someone wants to know on a Wed what your plans are for the weekend, or if a surprise holiday or trip suddenly appeared out of the woodwork with 5 minutes notice. The reactions of a J to both of these would be distinctly different to the reactions of a P. As I said above the organisation of a personal space is less accurate because it can be lazier to organise!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    A healthy INTP may well be organised, because they are too lazy to be sloppy (it can be less effort to tidy up as you go, even though it doesn't strike a natural preference).
    The rest of my family being Js may have something to do with this but actually why I organise things is that it occurred to me that it is logical to do so. I rarely organise things as other's may expect but once organised I can find everything quickly and efficiently. Also I tend to lose fewer things.

I usually only do not organise because it's too much like hard work, just to contradict your point.

MBTI
    type

^everything Xander said in the previous page. 'Yes, i'll organise...when i have to'.

I do have the rest of my books in a certain order; tho it isn't easily understandable to others. it just looks like chaos to others. As long as i know where to find it, it's fine with me if it appears messy. And Xander, your books play hide and seek with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    It's that we speak/think in absolute terms of what we know to be relative. Hence, things always shift for us, though in that moment, it is true. Because it is less the individual object, but the sum of the parts that it plays.

Ah, neat way to say it!

Yes. That you'd notice the data in the way it fits into the pattern, and understand them that way accordingly. Individual parts alone, you'd tend to miss it, no matter how obvious. Perhaps the best intp emoticon in relation to the glaringly obvious cues of external world which everyone else gets:

You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I think the key test is whether one likes being organised and scheduled by others. if someone wants to know on a Wed what your plans are for the weekend, or if a surprise holiday or trip suddenly appeared out of the woodwork with 5 minutes notice. The reactions of a J to both of these would be distinctly different to the reactions of a P. As I said above the organisation of a personal space is less accurate because it can be lazier to organise!
    this makes a lot of sense. Yes, organisation of personal space may be less accurate as a measure of type. It's the bigger things. Since in many ways, we all organise our personal spaces, just whether we do it via conventional means (dewey system, anyone?) or other means.

Surprise holiday! I decided to come to HK in 5 min, when a friend msged me that tickets were going cheap. Then extended what was supposed to be a short 4 day trip, into a 16 day holiday, just half an hour before i was due to leave for the airport. That's P for ya.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

MBTI
    INTj

But internal judgment does that: I flex outwardly, but inwardly, my stance actually is , "Here is what's true... so far, as long as my assumptions hold and I actually have all the relevant information."
    Hrm. He bases what is true on some amount of evidence, but he doesn't need complete information to decide. If I remember correctly, that's one difference between INTJs and INTPs. An INTP can never have enough information whereas INTJs are content with a small degree of information, then they can make that intuitive leap that you speak of rather easily.

As far as organization goes, I'd say it's similar to what Geoff does . . . organizing out of sheer laziness. I don't like using organization to determine J/P.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    Xander, your books play hide and seek with you?
    The pains of playing host to people and being far too laissez faire when it comes to keeping track of who "borrowed" what and "which one of these three copies is mine?".

Meh. It's only annoying when I can't find them.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    An INTP can never have enough information whereas INTJs are content with a small degree of information, then they can make that intuitive leap that you speak of rather easily.

"What I do is extremely difficult and it is only because I have mastered it so fully that I can perform it without difficulty."

Sounds like an INTJ under threat