• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Curious INTx trying to figure out the "x" part

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
If you two guys happen to mostly agree on intellectual matters, then you would have a rather easy time getting along together, since you are both NTs. It's what happens when INTPs and INTJs disagree that gets problematic, because they then tend to approach the discussion from very different positions, so that not only they don't agree on the facts, but they don't even agree on how the facts should be determined and examined!

Lol that makes complete sense. It's funny cause sometimes we'll be discussing something and he'll seemingly just keep arguing for the sake of arguing because he can, even though we already agreed on a decision. I find it quite funny and rarely annoying, but i can definitely see how his search for any little inconsistency could irritate me.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
It's funny cause sometimes we'll be discussing something and he'll seemingly just keep arguing for the sake of arguing because he can, even though we already agreed on a decision.
That's NP all right!

I find it quite funny and rarely annoying, but i can definitely see how his search for any little inconsistency could irritate me.
Ti will not tolerate inconsistencies, and Ne will keep generating possibilities until Ti is satisfied: that's INTP, no problem.

Ni doesn't like inconsistencies either, for that matter, but it doesn't mind holding gazillions of them anyway, until it can resolve them somehow.

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
Now after this lengthy discussion i must also mention this. I use the Kiersey Temperament sorter from the "Please Understand Me" book to type myself, sometimes taking some internet tests and i always test P instead of J (INTP). I'm only 19 though so that might have something to do with it, and i'm in college. First time i took it i got ISTJ though but that was not accurate. I've consistently tested P and not J ever since.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Now after this lengthy discussion i must also mention this. I use the Kiersey Temperament sorter from the "Please Understand Me" book to type myself, sometimes taking some internet tests and i always test P instead of J (INTP). I'm only 19 though so that might have something to do with it, and i'm in college. First time i took it i got ISTJ though but that was not accurate. I've consistently tested P and not J ever since.
I'm 34, and I always test INFP instead of INFJ. And yet, I am INFJ through and through. Don't sweat it.

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think that maybe hanging out with an INTP for so long simply opened my mind to those cognitive processes used by INTPs that otherwise i wouldn't have directly explored. I can definitely see the value in using them more frequently than i otherwise would have had i not gotten so used to them.

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
I really appreciate your insights Wandering. Thank you for sharing them with me.

All of you have helped put my mind at rest with this issue. It is settled then. INTx no more.

(Lol closure. So J...)

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
I think that maybe hanging out with an INTP for so long simply opened my mind to those cognitive processes used by INTPs that otherwise i wouldn't have directly explored. I can definitely see the value in using them more frequently than i otherwise would have had i not gotten so used to them.
That's indeed one possibility. Many people have developed some of their Shadow functions to the same level as their primary functions. My Fi is pretty high for example, and I know of at least one INFJ and a couple of INFPs who have all 4 N and F functions highly developed.

Another problem is that Introverts can get confused when typing themselves, *especially* on the J/P scale, because for Introverts, J/P refers to our Auxiliary, not our Dominant. But we mainly see ourselves as our Dominant, so we sometimes completely skew the questions without even noticing. An exemple of this is the "wait and see" stuff we mentioned earlier: someone else might see us as closure-oriented because we only show our decisions once we've taken them, but we know that it can take us forever to make them in the private of our mind. So we might look J to the world, but very P to ourselves.

I hate the J/P dichotomy...

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
I really appreciate your insights Wandering. Thank you for sharing them with me.
You were an easy one ;) You know yourself very well, that helps.

All of you have helped put my mind at rest with this issue. It is settled then. INTx no more.

(Lol closure. So J...)
Indeed :D

But don't feel "forced" to settle. If you're not 100% happy with it or something, just keep your options open. Just because I'm so sure doesn't mean you have to be ;)

But if it's Ni who spoke, then you *would* be sure all right :laugh:

(I'm getting hysterical, it's high time I go to bed :ninja:)

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
Another problem is that Introverts can get confused when typing themselves, *especially* on the J/P scale, because for Introverts, J/P refers to our Auxiliary, not our Dominant. But we mainly see ourselves as our Dominant, so we sometimes completely skew the questions without even noticing. An exemple of this is the "wait and see" stuff we mentioned earlier: someone else might see us as closure-oriented because we only show our decisions once we've taken them, but we know that it can take us forever to make them in the private of our mind. So we might look J to the world, but very P to ourselves.

I hate the J/P dichotomy...

You nailed it. That resonates completely with me. I'll think things through a billion zillion trillion times in my head and examine every possibility and advantage and consequence but it's all in my head. Then i'll just make a decision and not think about it again because what's the use if i just thought about it a billion times to second guess myself? To someone else i might seem set in my decision and not open to another possibility because i already examined all the possibilities in my head before they voiced the possibility to me. To myself i seem indecisive.

Wow this was a very important point you brought up. Thank you. I now understand the source of my confusion.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
note to self: pulling structure from beneath a J will not be seen as playfulness :D
:doh:

I hate you :dry:

Not :D

Fuent: happy to be of help :) And I totally know about the "thinking things through a billion zillion trillion times in my head"!

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
Could it be said that J prefers to know and P prefers to understand? (I'm not quite sure if this applies generally or if i'm talking specifically about INTJ/INTP, actually i'm not quite sure what's making me say this at all, but something within me told me to bring it up.)

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm just being too abstract methinks. I'm not quite sure what i was trying to verbalize but whatever it was it's definitely not ready to be said out loud until i can make sense of it.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm just being too abstract methinks. I'm not quite sure what i was trying to verbalize but whatever it was it's definitely not ready to be said out loud until i can make sense of it.
No problem. It's not like it never happens to me :D

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well guys, thanks a lot for this wonderful discussion. I can stop obsessing so much about this now. MBTI is still fascinating though and i'm sure it won't be too long before i start obsessing about some other aspect of it.

redacted

watch out for self-fulfilling prophesy. i've seen a lot of that in this thread.

you do seem NJ, though.