User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: My Typology?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    Well, the problem with that is that I think I personally have a pretty weak Ne, as I don't explore 'new concepts and ideas'. It might even be my weakest function. And now that I think about it, I think have more Se than Si because even though I am very nostalgic at times, I don't think that I use past experience to guide me; rather, I like to try to think about how a situation might turn out, which indicates Ni preference, though I'm not as sure of myself on this point. Still, I think I am more Ni than Ne, and more Se than Si. However, my Fi is probably my dominant function, but if this is true, than I am an ISFP. But the thing about that is I'm not artsy at all and am more structured in my learning (and I'm also more of a speculator than a "doer"). This may seem to point to me being a J, but I act like a P -- either that, or I just have some P characteristics.
    Ne isn't really about following new ideas and Si isn't about nostalgia. Ne is an urge to explore the world about you and experiment based upon what things represent to you. Si is about making sure you know what will happen before you make a decision and being careful to varify information and ideas as reliable before placing much faith in them. Both Si and Ni consider the outcome of actions before doing anything. They just have slightly different motivations.

I'd write more, but my time is limited right now, I'm afraid.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

I don't know if that (and by that, I mean me not fully understanding Ne and Si) proved or disproved my point(s). I have read the definitions of both on http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/, but apparently I didn't comprehend it well enough. I was under the impression that Si was about using prior knowledge and experience to determine if something is trustful, and I know that nostalgia isn't about trusting past information, but I just linked the S function as past-oriented and the N function as future-oriented and 'nostalgia' came to mind as something to connect to that, for lack of a better thought. And I thought Ne was about exploring new concepts and ideas and trying to generate new possibilities.

Also, what is the difference between Te and J?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I don't know if that (and by that, I mean me not fully understanding Ne and Si) proved or disproved my point(s). I have read the definitions of both on http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/, but apparently I didn't comprehend it well enough. I was under the impression that Si was about using prior knowledge and experience to determine if something is trustful, and I know that nostalgia isn't about trusting past information, but I just linked the S function as past-oriented and the N function as future-oriented and 'nostalgia' came to mind as something to connect to that, for lack of a better thought. And I thought Ne was about exploring new concepts and ideas and trying to generate new possibilities.
    The Si is not just past-oriented, as with nostalgia, it is proven-experience oriented. If it worked in the past, then the assumption of the Si is that it will always work.

I've seen this type in action. Novelty is possible, but it takes a lot of convincing. Perhaps even bribing. But left to their own devices, the Si never, ever changes MO's.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    The Si is not just past-oriented, as with nostalgia, it is proven-experience oriented. If it worked in the past, then the assumption of the Si is that it will always work.

I've seen this type in action. Novelty is possible, but it takes a lot of convincing. Perhaps even bribing. But left to their own devices, the Si never, ever changes MO's.
    Well, I know I'm really stubborn, but I wouldn't necessarily say I'm "proven-experience oriented." When I try new things, I don't use past experience to guide me -- but that's just when I actually DO try new things. It's not that I don't want to -- I would just rather know what I'm getting into before trying it, and I now understand that that's and introverted thing, is that correct?

And also, do political views play a part in a person's functions? 'Cause I'm very passionate about my disgust for "old, traditional values" and the right-wing way of thinking. I mean, really, why is there a conscious-driven hate for anything different in the right-wing mantra? I can't stand it. I'm very tolerant of others and have empirical empathy, but I'm just not enthusiastic to try new things for myself. Does that make sense?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

J has no seperate existence on its own. Like I said, a lot of what i will talk about contradict MBTI. All J does is indicate whether the person extroverts their judgiing or their percieving.

As a side note, you probably understood the information you where given... its just that the information was bad. That is something that can be said about the majority of what is available about function theory on the net. Be very careful about trying to learn it from online sources. That goes for us on the forum too.

Essentially Si is a future orientated function, it's just that its motivations are a little different to Ni. Si is concerned with certainty of knowledge and as such it tends to look for the safest, most reliable path into the future. Is this why strong Si users are often cautious about adopting new ideas. It's not that they are all change hostile, they just don't like gambling much. When the present situation is on a course that will most likely end in disaster, the SJs are often at the front asking for change.

Well, I know I'm really stubborn, but I wouldn't necessarily say I'm "proven-experience oriented." When I try new things, I don't use past experience to guide me -- but that's just when I actually DO try new things. It's not that I don't want to -- I would just rather know what I'm getting into before trying it, and I now understand that that's and introverted thing, is that correct?
    Yeah, kind of an introverted percieving thing to be specific.

And also, do political views play a part in a person's functions? 'Cause I'm very passionate about my disgust for "old, traditional values" and the right-wing way of thinking. I mean, really, why is there a conscious-driven hate for anything different in the right-wing mantra? I can't stand it. I'm very tolerant of others and have empirical empathy, but I'm just not enthusiastic to try new things for myself. Does that make sense?
    Yes and no. The functions indicate the sort of things that might be important to a person, but not there specific views. For example, ISFJs combine Si with Fe. This often expresses itself as desire for social stability that allows people to prosper. Religions are of large imprtance to society, but whether a given ISFJ approves of them depends upon whether or not they feel religion adds to that stability by pulling people together and teaching moral values or undermines society by cling to outmoded belifs and breed bigoty. Function theory does not predict which way the persons opinions will swing, only that they will be of importance - assuming that the ISFJ doesn't decide that the effects of religion are over stated and that in truth the answer lies else where.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post

J has no seperate existence on its own. Like I said, a lot of what i will talk about contradict MBTI. All J does is indicate whether the person extroverts their judgiing or their percieving.

As a side note, you probably understood the information you where given... its just that the information was bad. That is something that can be said about the majority of what is available about function theory on the net. Be very careful about trying to learn it from online sources. That goes for us on the forum too.

Essentially Si is a future orientated function, it's just that its motivations are a little different to Ni. Si is concerned with certainty of knowledge and as such it tends to look for the safest, most reliable path into the future. Is this why strong Si users are often cautious about adopting new ideas. It's not that they are all change hostile, they just don't like gambling much. When the present situation is on a course that will most likely end in disaster, the SJs are often at the front asking for change.

Yeah, kind of an introverted percieving thing to be specific.

Yes and no. The functions indicate the sort of things that might be important to a person, but not there specific views. For example, ISFJs combine Si with Fe. This often expresses itself as desire for social stability that allows people to prosper. Religions are of large imprtance to society, but whether a given ISFJ approves of them depends upon whether or not they feel religion adds to that stability by pulling people together and teaching moral values or undermines society by cling to outmoded belifs and breed bigoty. Function theory does not predict which way the persons opinions will swing, only that they will be of importance - assuming that the ISFJ doesn't decide that the effects of religion are over stated and that in truth the answer lies else where.
    Well, I don't know enough about the functions, which is why I'm having trouble. Judging from what I've told you, how do you think my function preference goes?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Also, I just realized: on my post before last, I said I have "empirical" empathy. Well, what I meant by that was that I have universal empathy. I had only heard the word recently, and I realized I had misinterpreted its meaning. So sorry about that.

MBTI
    TiNe
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

What does universal empathy mean exactly ? (I have many hypothesis but they seem extremely strange.) You're probably more of an INFP.
    Feel no shame for what you are...

INTP
    5w4 or 5w6 sp/so

your resident asshole

Sorry, I was too lazy to read the beginning of your thread. I might do it later.

That's odd. What does it mean if, based on the chart, I'm Sanguine in Inclusion, Phlegmatic in Control, and Supine in Affection?

I don't mean to be interrupting the thread, but I need help typing me, and no one really seems to be visiting my thread. :P Of course, I haven't checked it today, but the last time I did (yesterday) no one else new had.
    That would be ENFP. Apparently affection doesn't really correlate to anything, btw. Still, it's interesting to know. My affection is totally different than my inclusion and control.

I took the chart and stuff from Eric B's site: http://www.erictb.info/typeideas.html

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Inconnue View Post
    What does universal empathy mean exactly ? (I have many hypothesis but they seem extremely strange.) You're probably more of an INFP.
    Meaning, I am able to accept that everyone has differing views and that people are separate entities from society and don't hold grudges against those who hold views I don't agree with. I understand that people's own perspectives may take precedence over society, and rules are of relative importance. I view (or, believe, rather) rules as useful but changeable mechanisms, and, ideally, they can maintain the general social order and protect human rights. I do not see them (or believe they should, rather) as 'absolute 'that must be obeyed without question.

And just for the record, I have asked my friends about this, and they say that my least used function is Ne.