• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What enneatype am I?

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Riso's Personality Types, which I take to be very authoritative, states that the wing on one side will conflict with the basic type, whereas the wing on the other side will support the basic type. 7w6 has a conflict with the traits of the 6-wing, 7w8 finds support with the 8-wing. 5w4 has a conflict with the traits of the 4-wing. Type 5 is supported by a 6-wing. Every basic type has its support or conflict centered in one of the wings.

This can be charted quite easily:

1w9 conflict
1w2 support
2w1 conflict
2w3 support
3w2 conflict
3w4 support
4w3 conflict
4w5 support
5w4 conflict
5w6 support
6w5 conflict
6w7 support
7w6 conflict
7w8 support
8w7 conflict
8w9 support
9w8 conflict
9w1 support

How can 1 and 9 be "conflicting" in 1w9 and "supportive" in 9w1? I'm asking earnestly. :thinking:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How can 1 and 9 be "conflicting" in 1w9 and "supportive" in 9w1? I'm asking earnestly. :thinking:

In the 1W9, the 9-wing both supports and conflicts with the basic type. Both types repress emotions for different reasons. But the One (Reformer) seeks change, while the 9 (Peacemaker) avoids change.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
In the 1W9, the 9-wing both supports and conflicts with the basic type. Both types repress emotions for different reasons. But the One (Reformer) seeks change, while the 9 (Peacemaker) avoids change.

That much I understood. :yes: But then why say the traits "agree" in 9w1s and "conflict" in 1w9s, rather than saying that there are agreements and clashes between both aspects in either type? :shrug:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That much I understood. :yes: But then why say the traits "agree" in 9w1s and "conflict" in 1w9s, rather than saying that there are agreements and clashes between both aspects in either type? :shrug:

Riso doesn't relate any conflict in the 9 with the 1-wing. As for the 1W9, he says that the 1 is "somewhat" conflicted and yet "heightened and reinforced" by the 9-wing.

It's easy to see why, but it would ruin the nice symmetry of my chart to add "somewhat conflicted" to the 1W9. :shock: But thanks for helping point out a possible issue with this particular 1W9 type combination.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Riso doesn't relate any conflict in the 9 with the 1-wing. As for the 1W9, he says that the 1 is "somewhat" conflicted and yet "heightened and reinforced" by the 9-wing.

It's easy to see why, but it would ruin the nice symmetry of my chart to add "somewhat conflicted" to the 1W9. :shock: But thanks for helping point out a possible issue with this particular 1W9 type combination.

Geez, dude, I didn't mean to wreck your system or anything... :blush: Sorry 'bout that.

Anyway, I didn't mean the 9-1 example in particular, but the relationships as a whole... If types X and Y have similarities and differences, wouldn't it be a wee bit schizophrenic to say they both "click as a whole" and "not click as a whole"? I'm no Riso or Hudson, though, so take my ramblings with a grain of salt. :)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Geez, dude, I didn't mean to wreck your system or anything... :blush: Sorry 'bout that.

Anyway, I didn't mean the 9-1 example in particular, but the relationships as a whole... If types X and Y have similarities and differences, wouldn't it be a wee bit schizophrenic to say they both "click as a whole" and "not click as a whole"? I'm no Riso or Hudson, though, so take my ramblings with a grain of salt. :)

I like rambling posts, they're my favorite ones to read. Straight-as-an-arrow posts are boring.

It's not my system, but it is my chart. :D This is just something I noticed 18 years ago when first reading Personality Types. There is no clicking (or not clicking) as a whole, and my chart was not intended to convey that impression. My chart was only supposed to simplify this by making it intuitive. There's a pattern to this support/conflict idea, and it can be graphed out quite simply. Otherwise, the only way to notice this pattern is to read the entire book and also have a mind that purposefully looks for intuitively visualizable patterns. (That's why the chart, which has been kept under lock-and-key in my mind for over 18 years until today, is my chart and not Riso's.)

I would have to go through all 18 sub-types to explain why they individually tend to click together or not. I know that wasn't your question, but that's the way Riso spells out the situation with wings, not as a group and not as an absolute, but patiently taking his explanations one subtype at a time. But when seen as a group, only then does a striking pattern emerge.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:( I posted a big huge thing and it only posted my first line and a half. So frustrating!!

In short, I went to this link, found out that I'm possibly a 7w6 with an sx variant because I relate a lot to it compared to the 7w8 description. However, that doesn't explain my 8 streak or the fact that the enneatype 8 fits me well in a lot of circumstances. Basically, I'm more of a 7w6 than a 7w8, but relate a lot more to the 8 description (in itself) than the 6 description (in itself.)

http://theenneagram.blogspot.com/2007/09/type-7.html

Also, the sp 7 description sounded like a complete fruit loop to me. The sx description describes my mental state better.

Sincerely,
Frustrated about losing my well thought out post.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:( I posted a big huge thing and it only posted my first line and a half. So frustrating!!

In short, I went to this link, found out that I'm possibly a 7w6 with an sx variant because I relate a lot to it compared to the 7w8 description. However, that doesn't explain my 8 streak or the fact that the enneatype 8 fits me well in a lot of circumstances. Basically, I'm more of a 7w6 than a 7w8, but relate a lot more to the 8 description (in itself) than the 6 description (in itself.)

http://theenneagram.blogspot.com/2007/09/type-7.html

Also, the sp 7 description sounded like a complete fruit loop to me. The sx description describes my mental state better.

Sincerely,
Frustrated about losing my well thought out post.

Sorry to hear that. Sometimes that is caused by attempting to press shift A or some other variation but hitting menu key + A instead, and then another key. This causes text to be cut to the clipboard. I always press ctrl+z after text disappears like that to bring it back. It may still be in your clipboard. I'll have to copy my response to the clipboard before posting just in case you jinxed me.

Here's a quote from the enneagram institute about the social instinct in general:

"Social types adapt themselves to serve the needs of the social situation they find themselves in. Thus, Social types are highly aware of other people, whether they are in intimate situations or in groups. They are also aware of how their actions and attitudes are affecting those around them."

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sorry to hear that. Sometimes that is caused by attempting to press shift A or some other variation but hitting menu key + A instead, and then another key. This causes text to be cut to the clipboard. I always press ctrl+z after text disappears like that to bring it back. It may still be in your clipboard. I'll have to copy my response to the clipboard before posting just in case you jinxed me.

Here's a quote from the enneagram institute about the social instinct in general:

"Social types adapt themselves to serve the needs of the social situation they find themselves in. Thus, Social types are highly aware of other people, whether they are in intimate situations or in groups. They are also aware of how their actions and attitudes are affecting those around them."

Yeah, but like I said, the social variant doesn't make sense for me at all. Even as manifested in a seven. The sx 7 on th is particular website is much more suitable.

* Udit Patel "The Neophile (Ichazo's "Suggestibility")"

Sexual Sevens seek stimulation, especially the stimulation of whatever is new, cutting edge, or exotic. They are extremely curious and often intellectually avid, and they bring the same searching engagement to their relationships. Sexual Sevens love to meet new people, to learn about them, and to get intensely involved with them—whether through conversation, shared adventures, or sexual experiences. They are often highly charismatic, having no trouble capturing people's attention with their energy, wit, and genuine desire to connect with people. They often frustrate themselves and others, however, because their attention is easily captured by what promises excitement. Sexual Sevens can shift from one intense focus to another too quickly for their own good. They can also become easily enthused about a new idea, person, or experience without checking it out thoroughly, often leading to regrets later on either in business or in relationships. When less healthy, they may indiscriminately pursue relationships or unusual, even dangerous, experiences for the excitement that it brings and to counteract boredom and inner deadness. The search for a variety of exotic and intense experiences can leave them burned out and dissipated.

* LifeExplore

Intimate Sevens tend to garnish and embellish reality with fantasy. Intimate relationships are often thought of as shared experimental adventures, and the Seven perceives their partner through a veil of imagination. May romanticize others as a way to avoid the limits and boredom of mundane life with the same old someone. Can be more involved with their fantasy of the partner than with the real person. Tentative, distractible, impersonal, may have a wandering eye. Some have great difficulty with commitment and seem fickle as they move on to the next fantasy projected onto the next new person. Don Juan scenario. More generally, intimate Sevens have a tendency to be suggestible. They may especially seek the new with the fascinated enthusiasm of a faddist, stepping into future fantasies to avoid the present.

Social 7 - Seeking Acceptance/Belonging/Inclusion/Status

* Udit Patel Missing Out (Ichazo's "Social Sacrifice")

Social Sevens are highly people-oriented and somewhat idealistic, so they are sometimes mistaken for Twos. They like entertaining and gathering "the gang" for various outings and adventures. They love conversation, launching new projects with others, brainstorming, and initiating creative endeavors. Social Sevens are also looking for a place to invest their idealism—they feel they have much to offer the world but are forever searching for the perfect vehicle through which to express their talents and aspirations. While Social Sevens like being involved with people and activities, because they are Sevens, they also tend to feel that they are losing options when they commit to a particular person or course of action. Thus, they tend to have problems with making a commitment because they want to be involved but feel trapped once they get involved. One way that Social Sevens navigate this conflict is by agreeing to do too many things with too many people. They also tend to make back-up plans regarding agreements. ("If lunch with Sarah falls through, I'll invite Mike, too, just to make sure someone's there….") Naturally, others are often caught off guard by sudden changes of plan, and, oddly, no one really gets the Social Seven's attention. Social Sevens may also sabotage good relationships while secretly hoping that someone better will come along.

* LifeExplore

Social Sevens often feel a tension between duty to others and the desire to escape. Tend to feel responsible for the people around them and experience that as a confining burden. They then react against the weight of obligation, seeking variety and craving change. When entranced, can be highly irresponsible. When awakened, they make peace with commitment and sacrifice and are often very stable and generous. Often an idealism, sometimes a stronger connection to 1. Serving something beyond themselves, dutiful. Can be from a large family where they had lots of responsibility, eldest child. With an 8 wing they tend to fight the sense of burden harder.

Self-Preservation 7 - Seeking Saftey/Comfort

* Udit Patel "Getting Mine (Ichazo's "Defenders")"

Self-Preservation Sevens are the most materialistic Sevens. This does not necessarily mean that they are always accumulating possessions, but they do thoroughly enjoy the things of the material world. They also enjoy thinking about acquiring possessions and experiences. Thus, reading catalogues, restaurant guides, movie reviews, travel books, and brochures is often a favorite pastime. Generally, however, they are not daydreamers: they want to actually do or buy the things they are thinking about. Exploring the different pleasures the world offers seems to Self-Pres Sevens what life is about. They love shopping and are especially thrilled by the prospect of getting a great bargain—obtaining the desired object or experience at well below the "normal" cost. Thus, they tend to be the person to consult for a good hotel in a particular city or to find the best place to buy a new laptop computer. Often, they will cultivate other friends who are knowledgeable about mutual interests to exchange information about bargains and to stay up with the newest developments available. Many Self-Pres Sevens like to "live large" and may spend more than they can afford to sustain their appetite for experience and luxury. Unconsciously, they may have unrealistic expectations that the world should provide them with whatever they need on demand. To the extent that Sevens succumb to this expectation, they are likely to be frustrated and disappointed.

* LifeExplore

Self-preservation Sevens are a little confusing since they tend to be highly social. Characterized by a drive towards family and shared group experiences. Enjoy operating within their real or chosen family, checking in with a group of like-minded people. Chronic sharing on a circuit. People in the group are the source of interesting information and stimulation. Don't feel burdened or trapped by duties like a social Seven. Loyal to family, often have a 6 wing. Defend their circle and castle. Barricade, find safety in numbers. This subtype goes with the image of the "party animal."