• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

pure_mercury ain't so pure

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Just as an update/aside, I took a really long "Jung" test just now, and here are my results:

Actualized type: ESFJ
(who you are)
Extroverted (E) 89.66% Introverted (I) 10.34%
Sensing (S) 53.13% Intuitive (N) 46.88%
Thinking (T) 50% Feeling (F) 50%
Judging (J) 51.35% Perceiving (P) 48.65%

ESFJ - "Seller". Most sociable of all types. Nurturer of harmony. Outstanding host or hostesses. 12.3% of total population.
*The current algorithm breaks the tie randomly so refresh the page to see alternate results

I got a 50-50 tie in T/F, and just barely S and J.

heart

heart on fire
Just as an update/aside, I took a really long "Jung" test just now, and here are my results:

(who you are)

ESFJ - "Seller". Most sociable of all types. Nurturer of harmony. Outstanding host or hostesses. 12.3% of total population.
*The current algorithm breaks the tie randomly so refresh the page to see alternate results

Since you are so close between so many of them, I wonder what your cognitive fucntions test looks like. Just curious. :)

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Or he could, instead of taking shortcuts, actually learn type theory and figure out his type using real life introspection, instead of answering questions with over-simplified, confusing language broad enough to cultivate a phony conclusion based on one's personal bias.

Just a thought.

redacted

Or he could, instead of taking shortcuts, actually learn type theory and figure out his type using real life introspection, instead of answering questions with over-simplified, confusing language broad enough to cultivate a phony conclusion based on one's personal bias.

Just a thought.

so true.

i just can't get the ENFP idea out of my head.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
You should get electroshock therapy. Or a hammer. I've heard those are pretty good at getting rid of unwanted thoughts.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ

(who you are)

You should really take a cognitive functions test: Understanding the Eight Jungian Cognitive Processes / Eight Functions Attitudes (I by the way think most likely types would be ESFP, ESTP, ENFP, ENTP, ENFJ or ENTJ.)

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
confusing language broad enough to cultivate a phony conclusion based on one's personal bias.

How is type theory any different, though? C'mon. The deciding factor is not the content of what's being studied -- it's the bias.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't bother with type per se. Cognitive processes are my interest. More specifically, the relationships between them. I should have said that.

There's no bias. Once you actually figure out what the CPs do, you can accurately determine your favorite functions.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
There's no bias. Once you actually figure out what the CPs do, you can accurately determine your favorite functions.

Hmm -- I agree, from a function-based perspective, that makes sense. Build your own functional hierarchy. But for the purposes of determining a preset type as seen in MBTI, where the distinctions between primary, auxillary, tertiary etc. functions play important roles in the determination, (not that I have much faith in the system myself) the tests are probably more convenient.

A person drifting between INFP and INFJ, for instance, is likely to have trouble choosing between such function pairs as Ni-Fe, Fi-Ne. And woe is him if he decides he relates to Fi and Ni equally. That wasn't really the case with me, but I know it took me a great deal of reading and time to finally choose between the two for the purposes of entertaining some term called "dominant function".

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ

Just a thought.

Hey man, I am new to the type thing in general. It's not my fault that I don't have the skills to be able to type myself (or others) accurately yet. I am glad to read more about it, though. There is a ton of material online, and it is hard to sift through everything. Do you have any recommendations?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
You should really take a cognitive functions test: Understanding the Eight Jungian Cognitive Processes / Eight Functions Attitudes (I by the way think most likely types would be ESFP, ESTP, ENFP, ENTP, ENFJ or ENTJ.)

Just took it. Here you go, analyze away:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************************* (37.5)
excellent use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************************** (34.3)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************** (20.3)
limited use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************** (20.2)
limited use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************** (26.2)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************** (22.1)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************** (38.3)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************************************** (41.7)
excellent use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ESFP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Extraverted Sensing (Se): Immersing in the present context. Responding naturally to everything tangible you detect through your senses. Checking with what your gut instincts say. Testing limits and take risks for big rewards.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ISFP, or ESFJ

If these results are different from what you know of yourself, you might consider why your developmental pattern does not align with your expectation. You might also consider exploring this result as a possible better fit.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Based on this we can say for sure you are an SF type, at least, but it is pretty close between them. That being said, you have tested strongly as an E in normal tests, and based on these results, ESFP seem somewhat more likely than ESFJ. As far as I can remember, your S tested as fairly weak in the normal MBTI tests. That is fairly common for SPs, many whom are mistyped as NPs. That might also indicate ESFP rather than ESFJ.

The reason why I didn't think you were an ESFJ in the first place was your love for new music, which you wrote about somewhere, and which seemed kind of off to me based on you supposedly being ESFJ. Those kinds of statements are very ESFP though.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Based on this we can say for sure you are an SF type, at least, but it is pretty close between them. That being said, you have tested strongly as an E in normal tests, and based on these results, ESFP seem somewhat more likely than ESFJ. As far as I can remember, your S tested as fairly weak in the normal MBTI tests. That is fairly common for SPs, many whom are mistyped as NPs. That might also indicate ESFP rather than ESFJ.

The reason why I didn't think you were an ESFJ in the first place was your love for new music, which you wrote about somewhere, and which seemed kind of off to me based on you supposedly being ESFJ. Those kinds of statements are very ESFP though.

Hmmm. New music, eh? I never would have thought that would be type-related. LOL On my Zune right now, the oldest music I have is Bach, and the newest is probably Vampire Weekend.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Hmmm. New music, eh? I never would have thought that would be type-related. LOL On my Zune right now, the oldest music I have is Bach, and the newest is probably Vampire Weekend.

Wasn't really meant like that (as in modern vs. old music). I was referring to your love of checking out music that is new to you, and a general openness to new listening experiences. If you have a very broad music taste that is also an indicator of being ESFP rather than ESFJ. My impressions of your music taste might be wrong though.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Wasn't really meant like that (as in modern vs. old music). I was referring to your love of checking out music that is new to you, and a general openness to new listening experiences. If you have a very broad music taste that is also an indicator of being ESFP rather than ESFJ. My impressions of your music taste might be wrong though.

My only criterion is good vs. bad. I am a particular fan of some genres (British indie rock stuff from the punk era to now, trip-hop, old-school hip-hop, jazz from the '50s and '60s). The bands I like the most are eclectics who try a lot of different styles (even within the span of a song), but still write classic pop songs that sound great in the car or through my headphones. I definitely have a critic's ear for things, though. You ought to see my Top 100 Pop/Rock Albums of All Time list.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
My only criterion is good vs. bad. I am a particular fan of some genres (British indie rock stuff from the punk era to now, trip-hop, old-school hip-hop, jazz from the '50s and '60s). The bands I like the most are eclectics who try a lot of different styles (even within the span of a song), but still write classic pop songs that sound great in the car or through my headphones. I definitely have a critic's ear for things, though. You ought to see my Top 100 Pop/Rock Albums of All Time list.

Well, that taste is more typical for an ESFP than an ESFJ, I would say. It's definitely broader than the average taste. If you were on Last.fm I could analyse your taste somewhat more, of course.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Well, that taste is more typical for an ESFP than an ESFJ, I would say. It's definitely broader than the average taste. If you were on Last.fm I could analyse your taste somewhat more, of course.

What is typical ESFJ taste? Whatever is in the Top 10 Albums list at the end of the year? ;)

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
What is typical ESFJ taste? Whatever is in the Top 10 Albums list at the end of the year? ;)

Well, I think one of the largest differences in music taste must be between Ps and Js, with Ps having broader tastes. Ss will probably have more mainstream taste than Ns. Introverts might like slow music better than extroverts.