• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

pure_mercury ain't so pure

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Well, I think one of the largest differences in music taste must be between Ps and Js, with Ps having broader tastes. Ss will probably have more mainstream taste than Ns. Introverts might like slow music better than extroverts.

Here is my list of music I like from facebook:

Suede, Blur, Oasis, Pulp, Radiohead (1995-2000), Manic Street Preachers, Shack, Massive Attack, The Beatles, The Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, John Cale, David Bowie, The Kinks, Roxy Music, Van Morrison, Public Enemy, The Rolling Stones, Happy Mondays, Black Grape, The Stone Roses, The Jam, Nick Drake, Joy Division, New Order, Squeeze, Elvis Costello, The Pixies, Johnny Cash, Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, The Smiths, Nirvana, U2, Stevie Wonder, The Beach Boys, Al Green, Motown, The Pogues, The Replacements, Afghan Whigs, Love, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, The Buzzcocks, The Who, Electric Light Orchestra, Can, The Warlocks, The Flaming Lips, The Shins, Jeff Buckley, Echo and the Bunnymen, Prince, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Tricky, Northern Soul, hip hop, trip hop, Britpop, and other ops

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Admittedly I am no expert on popular music, but your taste seems diverse beyond that of most ESFJs. You said you love eclectic music, I think most SJs prefer more pure music.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Admittedly I am no expert on popular music, but your taste seems diverse beyond that of most ESFJs. You said you love eclectic music, I think most SJs prefer more pure music.

What would constitute "pure music?"

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Haha, blame that on English not being my mother tongue. I just meant to refer to the antithesis of eclectic music.

Like, traditional examples of a certain genre, or only a few distinct kinds of music (i.e., all hip-hop/R&B, all the time)?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I think one of the largest differences in music taste must be between Ps and Js, with Ps having broader tastes. Ss will probably have more mainstream taste than Ns. Introverts might like slow music better than extroverts.

Oh, I don't know about this...this is entering very hazy territory. Maybe some generalizations could hold (although there'd always be exceptions), but basing someones' mbti type purely on their music taste seems a bit arbitrary to me.

nemo

Enneagram
<3
The last.fm group I was in has found exactly no correlation between music preference and type.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh, I don't know about this...this is entering very hazy territory. Maybe some generalizations could hold (although there'd always be exceptions), but basing someones' mbti type purely on their music taste seems a bit arbitrary to me.

It's not generalisations, it is correlations. I am only saying something about averages, at the individual level it is always probabilistic. Of course every S doesn't have more mainstream music taste than every N, that's crazy talk.

Let me reformulate my post:

"Well, I think one of the largest differences in music taste must be between Ps and Js, with Ps on average having somewhat broader tastes. Ss will probably on average have more mainstream taste than Ns. Introverts might on average like slow music better than extroverts."

In my head "on average" is implicit.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not generalisations, it is correlations. I am only saying something about averages, at the individual level it is always probabilistic. Of course every S doesn't have more mainstream music taste than every N, that's crazy talk.

Ok, then we're mostly in agreement.

So music can be taken out of the discussion in determining whether pure mercury is a J or a P. ;)

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Ok, then we're mostly in agreement.

So music can be taken out of the discussion in determining whether pure mercury is a J or a P. ;)

No, it cannot, it is still an indication that favours ESFP over ESFJ. I said it was probabilistic at individual level. Some Js has as diverse taste as pure_mercury, especially NJs, but quite few SJs. It's only an indication though, it's not a sure thing.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
No, it cannot, it is still an indication that favours ESFP over ESFJ. I said it was probabilistic at individual level. Some Js has as diverse taste as pure_mercury, especially NJs, but quite few SJs. It's only an indication though, it's not a sure thing.

I understand what you mean, but, please remember, I am a very, very weird guy.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
The main thing anyway is that the test scores indicates ESFP is more likely than ESFJ, so I simply think you should consider ESFP as your most likely type.

You scored higher on Te than Ti, which fits with the ESFP cognitive profile. You also scored higher on thinking than intuition, which again fits with the ESFP cognitive profile.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
The main thing anyway is that the test scores indicates ESFP is more likely than ESFJ, so I simply think you should consider ESFP as your most likely type.

You scored higher on Te than Ti, which fits with the ESFP cognitive profile. You also scored higher on thinking than intuition, which again fits with the ESFP cognitive profile.

I should probably just put my type as "Super-Duper Extrovert" from now on. It's not that big of a deal, is it?

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Why would that be?

Okay, at first I thought the thread was intended to have strong sexual undertones, and the comment was based on that. That didn't prove to be right, but still the thread took a direction like that, and you went with it like a true ESFP. I think most ESFJs would have problems with it, they would not be comfortable with it, they would not dare, some would not consider it proper, although I think most young ESFJs wouldn't be of that opinion. But again, it's just far easier to imagine an SP making your posts than an SJ, although it is of course possible for an SJ to make them as well.

You know, I know the whole type theory might be a bit confusing at this point, and that you don't know what to make of all these different opinions on your type, and that you think it is difficult to understand what is important. Especially the whole cognitive processes perspective is hard to get, but it is most important. Your type is a product of your cognitive processes profile. And honestly I do not see much that suggests your cognitive profile is more ESFJ than ESFP. That's why I think at this point the probability is largest for you being ESFP.

And let me be clear on this. Only a _SF_ type is possible. The cognitive processes results were absolutely conclusive on that point. And you know, when someone even suggests you are _N_P it's not strange you get confused, but don't listen to anyone who hasn't even studied your cognitive processes profile.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Okay, at first I thought the thread was intended to have strong sexual undertones, and the comment was based on that. That didn't prove to be right, but still the thread took a direction like that, and you went with it like a true ESFP. I think most ESFJs would have problems with it, they would not be comfortable with it, they would not dare, some would not consider it proper, although I think most young ESFJs wouldn't be of that opinion. But again, it's just far easier to imagine an SP making your posts than an SJ, although it is of course possible for an SJ to make them as well.

You know, I know the whole type theory might be a bit confusing at this point, and that you don't know what to make of all these different opinions on your type, and that you think it is difficult to understand what is important. Especially the whole cognitive processes perspective is hard to get, but it is most important. Your type is a product of your cognitive processes profile. And honestly I do not see much that suggests your cognitive profile is more ESFJ than ESFP. That's why I think at this point the probability is largest for you being ESFP.

And let me be clear on this. Only a _SF_ type is possible. The cognitive processes results were absolutely conclusive on that point. And you know, when someone even suggests you are _N_P it's not strange you get confused, but don't listen to anyone who hasn't even studied your cognitive processes profile.

OK, fair enough. What specifically says SP in that situation, though? I don't read too much in terms of "prim and proper" with ESFJ, as opposed to "helpful and by the book." I also am a major planner, and can be quite the moralistic type in terms of right vs. wrong (obviously, I am not a prude, but I have the black-and-white mentality). However, I think you're right on the self-typing. I am getting all kinds of mixed responses. Maybe that means everyone wants to claim me for their own? :)

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
OK, fair enough. What specifically says SP in that situation, though? I don't read too much in terms of "prim and proper" with ESFJ, as opposed to "helpful and by the book." I also am a major planner, and can be quite the moralistic type in terms of right vs. wrong (obviously, I am not a prude, but I have the black-and-white mentality).

Well, the cognitive processes stuff is pretty solid evidence. All this other stuff I am talking about are mostly my impressions, based on hunches, and you may decide for yourself is those are interesting to you or not.

I am getting all kinds of mixed responses. Maybe that means everyone wants to claim me for their own? :)

Well, I know you like to think of yourself as complex, and maybe you like getting mixed responses and the whole idea of being impossible to type?