User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    Well, I think one of the largest differences in music taste must be between Ps and Js, with Ps having broader tastes. Ss will probably have more mainstream taste than Ns. Introverts might like slow music better than extroverts.
    Here is my list of music I like from facebook:

Suede, Blur, Oasis, Pulp, Radiohead (1995-2000), Manic Street Preachers, Shack, Massive Attack, The Beatles, The Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, John Cale, David Bowie, The Kinks, Roxy Music, Van Morrison, Public Enemy, The Rolling Stones, Happy Mondays, Black Grape, The Stone Roses, The Jam, Nick Drake, Joy Division, New Order, Squeeze, Elvis Costello, The Pixies, Johnny Cash, Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, The Smiths, Nirvana, U2, Stevie Wonder, The Beach Boys, Al Green, Motown, The Pogues, The Replacements, Afghan Whigs, Love, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, The Buzzcocks, The Who, Electric Light Orchestra, Can, The Warlocks, The Flaming Lips, The Shins, Jeff Buckley, Echo and the Bunnymen, Prince, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Tricky, Northern Soul, hip hop, trip hop, Britpop, and other ops
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTJ

Admittedly I am no expert on popular music, but your taste seems diverse beyond that of most ESFJs. You said you love eclectic music, I think most SJs prefer more pure music.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Admittedly I am no expert on popular music, but your taste seems diverse beyond that of most ESFJs. You said you love eclectic music, I think most SJs prefer more pure music.
    What would constitute "pure music?"

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    What would constitute "pure music?"
    Haha, blame that on English not being my mother tongue. I just meant to refer to the antithesis of eclectic music.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Haha, blame that on English not being my mother tongue. I just meant to refer to the antithesis of eclectic music.
    Like, traditional examples of a certain genre, or only a few distinct kinds of music (i.e., all hip-hop/R&B, all the time)?

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Well, I think one of the largest differences in music taste must be between Ps and Js, with Ps having broader tastes. Ss will probably have more mainstream taste than Ns. Introverts might like slow music better than extroverts.
    Oh, I don't know about this...this is entering very hazy territory. Maybe some generalizations could hold (although there'd always be exceptions), but basing someones' mbti type purely on their music taste seems a bit arbitrary to me.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

The last.fm group I was in has found exactly no correlation between music preference and type.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    Oh, I don't know about this...this is entering very hazy territory. Maybe some generalizations could hold (although there'd always be exceptions), but basing someones' mbti type purely on their music taste seems a bit arbitrary to me.
    It's not generalisations, it is correlations. I am only saying something about averages, at the individual level it is always probabilistic. Of course every S doesn't have more mainstream music taste than every N, that's crazy talk.

Let me reformulate my post:

"Well, I think one of the largest differences in music taste must be between Ps and Js, with Ps on average having somewhat broader tastes. Ss will probably on average have more mainstream taste than Ns. Introverts might on average like slow music better than extroverts."

In my head "on average" is implicit.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

It's not generalisations, it is correlations. I am only saying something about averages, at the individual level it is always probabilistic. Of course every S doesn't have more mainstream music taste than every N, that's crazy talk.
    Ok, then we're mostly in agreement.

So music can be taken out of the discussion in determining whether pure mercury is a J or a P.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    Ok, then we're mostly in agreement.

So music can be taken out of the discussion in determining whether pure mercury is a J or a P.
    No, it cannot, it is still an indication that favours ESFP over ESFJ. I said it was probabilistic at individual level. Some Js has as diverse taste as pure_mercury, especially NJs, but quite few SJs. It's only an indication though, it's not a sure thing.