Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Viridian
    That makes a lot of sense. Do you alternate between extremes of phobicness and counterphobicness? You mentioned being shy, and the p/cp thing is more of an indicative of dominant coping strategy, I think.
    Kind of; I tend to either be worried about something that I don't agree with (usually when it goes against My Fi/values or socionics Si/comfort). Life job interviews make me tense because I'm being judged and all, and I hate the whole constructed process behind them, as they are uncreatively crafted by all the same mega corporations.

Actually, I think I sorta waiver on the whol p/cp thing, as I tend to be both skeptical and desiring of security, although I don't think I'm that much of a rebel to be cp.

MBTI
    IsFJ

I think some Sixes have a good balance of phobia and counterphobia, or develop it as they grow so they neither get stuck in obsessive, paralyzing trains of thought nor rush ahead without looking back.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I think some Sixes have a good balance of phobia and counterphobia, or develop it as they grow so they neither get stuck in obsessive, paralyzing trains of thought nor rush ahead without looking back.
    Very true

MBTI
    Ixxx
    Enneagram

Are you settled on 9w8 or are you just trying it out for size?

I think 'trying on a type', including putting it in your signature, is a good way of feeling-out whether it fits well or not.

I'd be wary of the type descriptions though - the ones for nines and sixes are often off-putting for INFPs because they tend to be too narrow and downplay type individuality, compared with those for fours (though less so for 6w5, but they may sound too 'harsh' on the other hand). Nines and sixes are probably the two most diverse of the E-types. It all comes down to cognitive patterns/rhythms. Unfortunately these are hard to describe though, but once you 'get' these you can see that the descriptions are merely to be interpreted, not taken literally.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Alternatum View Post
    I'd be wary of the type descriptions though - the ones for nines and sixes are often off-putting for INFPs because they tend to be too narrow and downplay type individuality, compared with those for fours (though less so for 6w5, but they may sound too 'harsh' on the other hand). Nines and sixes are probably the two most diverse of the E-types. It all comes down to cognitive patterns/rhythms. Unfortunately these are hard to describe though, but once you 'get' these you can see that the descriptions are merely to be interpreted, not taken literally.
    + 1000 6w5s in particular get the short end of the stick in profiles... I mean, Nixon? Hitler? John Hickley, Jr.? Jerry Falwell? Yes, profile writers, let's focus on all the bigots, corrupt politicians and nutcases! That'll stimulate people to learn more about their personality!

For the record, AFAIK:

6 =/= wimpy 8
    6 =/= wimpy 1

Typology is not some sort of caste system where some people are inherently better than others.

/rant over, sorry

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

^ it's true.

i'm still trying to understand the overall 6 vibe. i think i understand all the others pretty well but that one continues to evade me.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Alternatum
    Are you settled on 9w8 or are you just trying it out for size?

I think 'trying on a type', including putting it in your signature, is a good way of feeling-out whether it fits well or not.
    Right now I am just trying on the outfit that is 9w8. It has a nice fit, but like any new outfit feels a little funny. Only time will tell if it truly fits me.

This is so very true, The description are far too presumptious and assuming to be taken without a grain of salt. Rather I usually try to gauge what the type is by the essential qualities that define it.

+1000 6w5s in particular get the short end of the stick in profiles... I mean, Nixon? Hitler? John Hickley, Jr.? Jerry Falwell? Yes, profile writers, let's focus on all the bigots, corrupt politicians and nutcases! That'll stimulate people to learn more about their personality!
    I knwo, it's so annoying because when I see examples of real people I think to myself 'alright if I can identify with these people then maybe I'm this type' but who in their right mind would identify with people like Nixon or Hitler (well ok some, but not many)?

For the record, AFAIK:

6 =/= wimpy 8
    6 =/= wimpy 1

Typology is not some sort of caste system where some people are inherently better than others.
    Agreed.

Originally posted by skylights
    i'm still trying to understand the overall 6 vibe. i think i understand all the others pretty well but that one continues to evade me.
    I think 6 is something of cross between a ver skeptical person and very loyal person. 6's desire secuirty because they feel unsafe in this world; ultimatley they seek something to offer that secuirty, like an institution, or law, or society, or some kind of metaphorical or real shelter. However they won't accept just any shelter as some may not provide them with the secuirty they seek, thus they become skeptical ot if in their quest to find something that they can truly trust. Once they find that trustworthy thing they become part of it and stay loyal to it.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    I think 6 is something of cross between a ver skeptical person and very loyal person. 6's desire secuirty because they feel unsafe in this world; ultimatley they seek something to offer that secuirty, like an institution, or law, or society, or some kind of metaphorical or real shelter. However they won't accept just any shelter as some may not provide them with the secuirty they seek, thus they become skeptical ot if in their quest to find something that they can truly trust. Once they find that trustworthy thing they become part of it and stay loyal to it.
    That seems to be the gist of it, though I wonder if the online profiles exaggerate a little the Six's paranoia... I don't think they're all like that monk from Ladyhawke - you know, the one played by Leo McKern - or Col. Jessup from A Few Good Men.

Come to think of it, a lot of fictional villains are Sixes... Maybe that's why they get a bad rap?

In any case, good luck trying out 9w8! I'm ready to help if you have any more questions.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

That seems to be the gist of it, though I wonder if the online profiles exaggerate a little the Six's paranoia... I don't think they're all like that monk from Ladyhawke - you know, the one played by Leo McKern - or Col. Jessup from A Few Good Men.

Come to think of it, a lot of fictional villains are Sixes... Maybe that's why they get a bad rap?
    Perhaps they are over-represented as villians because parinoia makes for an interesting villian. Because sixes are too commonly portrayed as such kinds of people is why people tend t see them as only that. Well that's just one theory.

In any case, good luck trying out 9w8! I'm ready to help if you have any more questions.
    Thanks for the support

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP

6 - I don't think so. Fearful. Scared.

9 - I can believe.
    a cat is fine too