• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Not an INTP? So what?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here now is a thread for the subject of my type. :yes:
I am still confident that I am an INTP, so this is not litterally a request for help with determining my type.
But I have taken note of the numerous comments about me seeming like another type, or at the very least, not seeming like an INTP.

So I'd like as many people as possible to tell me what type I seem like(and if I just seem like an INTP to you, that's perfectly fine).

Personally, Elfinchild has made me feel a bit better because she seems more identifiable to me than other INTPs, so at least a little bit of my lonliness among my type is gone. One thing that is interesting to me is that my cognitive function results usually place Ne at the top and Fi in a horse-race with Ti for second place. :thinking:

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I tried to read your posts but nearly every one I clicked wasn't there.

Okay, given that, it seems

1. It would depend on how close to X you are. I know, during a period in my life, I was close to X in terms of "I" and "E" Eventhough I was never "E", I could seem that way at times. So, depending on the subject, perhaps, your approach could be more "F."

2. As for demonstrativeness/phrasing, it seems the more relaxed and trusting we INTPs are with some people, the more "F" we seem. Some people are never trusted enough to see it. I know I've loosened up here since when first joining.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I think there is a huge difference between Ti and Te.. The people that use Ti leave me speechless with their otherworldly talent (and desire) for the discovery and organisation of concepts that are way above my head.

INFP uses Te; INTP uses Ti.

I don't know what type you are, but you should know which Thinking process you are a natural at using.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think there is a huge difference between Ti and Te.. The people that use Ti leave me speechless with their otherworldly talent (and desire) for the discovery and organisation of concepts that are way above my head.

INFP uses Te; INTP uses Ti.

I don't know what type you are, but you should know which Thinking process you are a natural at using.

My Ti far exceeds my Te capabilities. It's a consistent result.
And it's true, there is also an equally huge difference between Fi and Fe.
I score very high on Fi and very low on Fe, and that makes a big difference.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What do you read about?

What's your favorite subject?

How do you deal with difficult feelings?

Why do you dress goth?

heart

heart on fire
My Ti far exceeds my Te capabilities. It's a consistent result.
And it's true, there is also an equally huge difference between Fi and Fe.
I score very high on Fi and very low on Fe, and that makes a big difference.

The key deciding factor it what you are using for judgment. Values or logic. Not whether you think things over, but when you are thinking what are script are you running it through, what's most logical or what balances best against your values?

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
The key deciding factor it what you are using for judgment. Values or logic. Not whether you think things over, but when you are thinking what are script are you running it through, what's most logical or what balances best against your values?

These two threads might help you answer heart's question:

What's it like to be a Feeler?

What's it like to be a Thinker?

There are some clear differences in the responses.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Well for myself, and I'm sure Magic, as he scored high in both Fi and Ti, it is very hard to discern whether or not one makes decisions based on logic or values.

heart

heart on fire
Yes, I think there is misconception that Feelers reacting to raw emotions as judgement and so a Feeler may say "well I think over my decisions, I don't just react, therefore I am a thinker." but really what they mean by thinking is weighing situations against their FEELING, the base of values and experiences they carry within, which may very well be influenced by logic and perception, but is really Feeling and not the more logic dominated Thinking function.

EDIT: Can you deal with taking something on faith, like in the area of personal relationships or do you NEED to map out logically the why?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you read about?

What's your favorite subject?

How do you deal with difficult feelings?

Why do you dress goth?

What? I don't dress goth. I dress dark, but that's not automatically goth.

That's almost a trick question. If I'm getting things right, there should be no difference between the two.

heart

heart on fire
No, it is very different. Logic will be hard and sure, with clear cut explainations available to give account to. The Feeler will be the one to see it as a trick question, in my opinion. I used to see it as such until I understood it better.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
That's almost a trick question. If I'm getting things right, there should be no difference between the two.

I rarely think about my values. I occasionally pull them up to look at and analyse and try to make them logically consistent and to define them more accurately. I almost never use them when making a decision. And when I do, it's generally emotionless (eg choosing a fuel-efficient vehicle because I know all the logical reasons to do so - it's generally devoid of 'feeling' for me).

Does that help with clarifying Ti vs Fi?

heart

heart on fire
I am constantly reviewing and examining my values and comparing them to whatever new information comes in, including what is most "logical". It is like having a rose garden that I am constantly keeping pruned and cared for. Everything in life touches my values and everything I put back out there comes from my values.

So I mean I am constantly analyzing and thinking, but my agenda when doing so is very different from an INTP.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What I mean is, I try to base my beliefs off of what I think make sense.
I have what could be accurately called a value system. I constantly search myself and this system for contradictions. In my opinion, there shouldn't be any contradictions because self-contradiction doesn't make sense.
It is my aim to make logic and values one and the same, because I don't think any of my values should be illogical.
There are exceptions of course. There's a point when you have to act on faith. Technically, the question "why" can be carried on infinitely, so you have to draw a line somewhere.

In terms of problem solving and making arguments, I always start on a platform of rationale. I do not use personal emotions or non-sensical claims of holiness as my primary point.

As for as I'm concerned, a good ethic comes from good reasoning.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And to make it clear, I believe I know what the difference between Ti and Fi is. In the very opening of this topic I explained that I was confident in my type and not in need of enlightment about who I am.
I was mainly curious about how you perceived me and why you perceived me that way.

heart

heart on fire
I am not talking about personal "emotions" or "non-sensical claims of holiness", comments like these aren't showing an understanding of Fi as judgment function. jmo.

I am talking about well thought out and long kept "values."

An INTP I think would be far more uncomfortable cutting off the "why" question than an INFP would in the area of emotion and relationship. They will not simply base something on what they believe is most logical, they will NEED to find the hard logic or they will be very uncomforable.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
That post, Magic, reminds me of my INTP friend (of whom I am certain is INTP), so I think it is safe to say that having values and wanting them to coincide with your logic is perfectly normal for an INTP.