• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Not an INTP? So what?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I think Edahn is saying that your Fi is trying to express itself in your style of dress. Which is indicative of INFP.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I honestly thought it was a joke.

For a long time, I dressed in sweat clothes and walked bare-foot.
When I was sixteen or so, I started dressing differently.
It is a matter of my personal taste and identity I suppose, but I don't think you can go guessing someone's type on their atire.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
You seem like a person with strong Fi, strong Ti and strong Ne. Easy as that. Whether you call yourself INFP, INXP or INTP doesn't really matter. From what I see both INTP and INFP fit you rather well, neither is an exact match.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think Edahn is saying that your Fi is trying to express itself in your style of dress. Which is indicative of INFP.

I honestly thought it was a joke.

For a long time, I dressed in sweat clothes and walked bare-foot.
When I was sixteen or so, I started dressing differently.
It is a matter of my personal taste and identity I suppose, but I don't think you can go guessing someone's type on their atire.

Actually, no, I just wanted to see how he went about answering a question like that -- what words, what meaning, what ideas, etc. I'm still hoping you answer the other questions I posed, though.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you read about?

Mostly non-fictional books. Text-book or essay. I read about the things that come under the favorite subject section.

What's your favorite subject?

That's a very broad question, which needs a broad answer.
Sociology, psychology, government and politics. That kind of thing.
History and anthropology are good, too.

How do you deal with difficult feelings?

I play them down when I'm around people(except for the few circumstances when I want them to know I'm really pissed-off). I generally withdraw into myself and deliberate on my feelings and their cause, for possibly even hours at a time. It's a combination of problem solving and trying to center myself.
I occasionally have to talk to people about them, but I'm very selective.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm back! :yay:

Magic, why I think you appear softer is simply high Ne, which can replicate an F. I've weird cognitive function results, so I can relate to your question.

Know folks are thinking my sis is an INFP too *lol*, so when you say you relate to her, that could be why. You're both in appearance, softer than many INTPs here. The line between the two is close. Nothing wrong with being an INXP too.

I think the impression of all INTPs is as crusty, cynical old farts for whom reality always falls short of ideals.

So the touches of whimsy you both exhibit makes you both appear F. INFPs and INTPs always do the loop-the-loop thinking. The difference is the INTP searches for flaws in perfection, and criticises people usually for being stupid. The INFP searches for something that makes them feel needed, simply. The tendency is to give, in a way, to bind people to them, but then feel used.

That need for everyone to be ok seems somehow ingrained in them, and they suffer for it.

The INTPs suffer for wanting perfection. I think your pain is due to things/circumstances falling short, not people as such?

The expectation of an INTP is always that they are harsher and always in the right, seeking a perfection of system and being. That is the absoluteness of T. Hence when you said logic and values being in sync, was more a T to me than an F, as it is an ideal. An F would see relativeness in most things, and think it was not possible in the first place.

The INFP whirls and whirls and whirls as they seek a clarity, as F, being based on the shifting sands of experience and values, means there is no permanence. INTPs tunnel or space out. *chuckles*

INTPs would be the same in almost all situations. The INFP could flip-flop a lot more. I think you exhibit that constancy (or stubborness :D ) of an INTP.

And a comfortable, happy INTP (is that an oxymoron) tends to be whimsical. :yes:.

*Carebear, whose avatar did you nick this time? :thelook:

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
My first thought of the magic spongie is INTP... However if you wish to be an INFP, I will not begrudge your decision.

Ae: Carebear stolen SH's old avatar... and burnt half his hair. :dry: I'm surprised he still has a copy of it.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
My first thought of the magic spongie is INTP... However if you wish to be an INFP, I will not begrudge your decision.

Ae: Carebear stolen SH's old avatar... and burnt half his hair. :dry: I'm surprised he still has a copy of it.

Why're quite a few folks changing/questioning types though? *confused* I haven't been away that long have I?

mousie, Careboob probably has all our avatars filed away in a harddisk somewhere in India :thelook:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I never said I thought I was an INFP!
I was just asking!

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Mostly non-fictional books. Text-book or essay. I read about the things that come under the favorite subject section.

That's a very broad question, which needs a broad answer.
Sociology, psychology, government and politics. That kind of thing.
History and anthropology are good, too.

I play them down when I'm around people(except for the few circumstances when I want them to know I'm really pissed-off). I generally withdraw into myself and deliberate on my feelings and their cause, for possibly even hours at a time. It's a combination of problem solving and trying to center myself.
I occasionally have to talk to people about them, but I'm very selective.

INTP, based on interests, the way you deal and approach your feelings, and your description of that process. Remember that MBTI is a classification system that depends on your description of yourself. Your description of yourself can vary. The biggest mistake I think people make (and not everyone agrees, but whatever, they're wrong) is that people actually come in 16 discrete flavors. There is no such thing. Your personality is constantly in flux. Sometimes, when you're tapped into Ti, you'll act like an INTP; when you're tapped into your Fi, INFP. There's no rule that says you can't be balanced. In the end, your type is just a symbol for your general tendencies, so I wouldn't be too worried about 1) counterexamples and 2) getting it perfectly right.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I am talking about well thought out and long kept "values."

An INTP I think would be far more uncomfortable cutting off the "why" question than an INFP would in the area of emotion and relationship. They will not simply base something on what they believe is most logical, they will NEED to find the hard logic or they will be very uncomforable.

Absolutely agree.

Edit: Sorry for the two posts... just answering as I read through.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The biggest mistake I think people make (and not everyone agrees, but whatever, they're wrong) is that people actually come in 16 discrete flavors. There is no such thing. Your personality is constantly in flux. Sometimes, when you're tapped into Ti, you'll act like an INTP; when you're tapped into your Fi, INFP. There's no rule that says you can't be balanced. In the end, your type is just a symbol for your general tendencies, so I wouldn't be too worried about 1) counterexamples and 2) getting it perfectly right.

I agree with this.

So, Magic... would you be willing to say that you're an INTP with INFP-ish tendencies and leave it at that?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree with this.

So, Magic... would you be willing to say that you're an INTP with INFP-ish tendencies and leave it at that?

I'd even be willing to say that I'm an INTP. I just wanted to know what you all saw in me.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'd even be willing to say that I'm an INTP. I just wanted to know what you all saw in me.

*lol*. I answered this before. A thorny, whimsical little black puppy with it's back turned to everyone and sitting in the corner, casting woeful backward glances. :D

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
*lol*. I answered this before. A thorny, whimsical little black puppy with it's back turned to everyone and sitting in the corner, casting woeful backward glances. :D

I was talking in typological terms!

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
So the touches of whimsy you both exhibit makes you both appear F. INFPs and INTPs always do the loop-the-loop thinking. The difference is the INTP searches for flaws in perfection, and criticises people usually for being stupid. The INFP searches for something that makes them feel needed, simply.

Not 100% accurate. I search for flaws in perfection, criticize people for being stupid AND search for something that makes me feel needed. And I'd think the latter is something quite a few INTPs do as well, consciously or not. (Especially those with high Fi.) So the difference lies more in which of those gets the higher priority when they're mutually exclusive. I will normally keep looking for ways to get both (I never really accept that they're mutually exclusive before I've made a lot of effort to reconcile them), but will accept flaws in perfection and stupidity if there's no way to get it all. An INTP will rarely accept stupidity or imperfection in order to be needed. Better to maintain integrity and see if people won't see the need for that eventually.

The tendency is to give, in a way, to bind people to them, but then feel used.

True, but feeling used is an immature tendency that most mature, healthy INFPs don't exhibit much. I give to bind some people to me, but more often I do it simply to feel good. Don't want to bind too many people to me... it's restricting and draining.

That need for everyone to be ok seems somehow ingrained in them, and they suffer for it.

Hm... not everyone. I agree it's ingrained in us, but we learn to accept that it's impossible to be happy if happiness depends on everyone being happy. So we choose carefully who we need to be ok.

The INTPs suffer for wanting perfection. I think your pain is due to things/circumstances falling short, not people as such?

The expectation of an INTP is always that they are harsher and always in the right, seeking a perfection of system and being. That is the absoluteness of T.

Sounds true.

Hence when you said logic and values being in sync, was more a T to me than an F, as it is an ideal. An F would see relativeness in most things, and think it was not possible in the first place.

I don't see how this follows. Though I do see the relativeness in most things, I also think it's possible to get logic and values in sync and strive towards that ideal. Are you saying idealists are the ones who see the relativeness and the rationals are the ones who see the ideals?

The INFP whirls and whirls and whirls as they seek a clarity, as F, being based on the shifting sands of experience and values, means there is no permanence. INTPs tunnel or space out. *chuckles*

INTPs would be the same in almost all situations. The INFP could flip-flop a lot more. I think you exhibit that constancy (or stubborness :D ) of an INTP.

True dat! :happy:

And a comfortable, happy INTP (is that an oxymoron) tends to be whimsical. :yes:.

:yes:

*Carebear, whose avatar did you nick this time? :thelook:

SH's. How did you know about my server in India? :thelook: We've been infiltrated! (Ok, seriously, I just realized I was starting to become very attached to my blinking skellington and remembered it wasn't mine at all. I want to "borrow" not steal.)