User Tag List

First 345

Results 41 to 48 of 48

  1. #41
    Senior Member alcea rosea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    I have a (maybe bad) habit to believe that people are what they say they are online. So, if you feel you are INTP, I believe in you.

    I find it much easier to define people's type in real life (althought it's totally impossible to define some people's type). So, I'd rather doubt somebody's type in real life than online.

  2. #42
    a white iris elfinchilde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    1,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    So I'd like as many people as possible to tell me what type I seem like(and if I just seem like an INTP to you, that's perfectly fine).

    Personally, Elfinchild has made me feel a bit better because she seems more identifiable to me than other INTPs, so at least a little bit of my lonliness among my type is gone. One thing that is interesting to me is that my cognitive function results usually place Ne at the top and Fi in a horse-race with Ti for second place.
    i made spongie feel better!

    lol. yea spongie, we're outcasts amongst the outcasts. but ya know what? i don't quite give a damn what other people think. i know i'm me, and i know i'm right.

    as a matter of course for your comparison: my Fi, Ti and Ni are all very high, with Ne being the strongest of all. My Se is also pretty strong--perhaps developed from the years of being trained in both the pure sciences and the fine arts, both of which are about observation of the minutest details. Remember too that what we do/grow up in will influence the development of the 2nd/3rd/4th functions.

    with strong Ne, INTPs in healthy mode 'play' a lot, they're childlike, enthusiastic and imaginative.

    and i've got an ENTP around to regularly feed my positive feedback loop. (altho, when i'm around ISTJs...it's.... )

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    An INTP I think would be far more uncomfortable cutting off the "why" question than an INFP would in the area of emotion and relationship. They will not simply base something on what they believe is most logical, they will NEED to find the hard logic or they will be very uncomforable.
    Depends. In situations of stress, the INTP shadow is ESFJ. If, after much thought, and turning around, and really reaching into the abyss, and finding nothing, an INTP would actually just coldly cut it out. Having figured out that it's pointless to think on, therefore, cut and move on. it's the shadow appearing, ESFJ as 'mother hen' to protect the INTP from being too self-vulnerable. And spongie is kinda lonely now in an alien place, isn't it? ESFJ would hence be 'lurking' about somewhere, to protect you.

    Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    Know folks are thinking my sis is an INFP too *lol*, so when you say you relate to her, that could be why. You're both in appearance, softer than many INTPs here. The line between the two is close. Nothing wrong with being an INXP too.

    I think the impression of all INTPs is as crusty, cynical old farts for whom reality always falls short of ideals.

    So the touches of whimsy you both exhibit makes you both appear F. INFPs and INTPs always do the loop-the-loop thinking.
    If anyone even dares call me an F, i'd whup them so hard and fast they'd not even know what hit them. :steam: And geez, if it's 'cos of my use of emoticons, well, i like 'em little buggers. they've got pretty colours. and i'm very visual. Plus, the potential for play! (will demonstrate below. )

    One more thing about INTPs: they are actually very easy going, until one of their fundamental principles are violated, in which case, they turn totalitarian. Perhaps it just so happens that spongie and I keep our values very far from the frontier, so that it appears as though we're difficult to offend and hence, soft.

    but as i said once before, you do wrong if you mistake softness for weakness. elfie can go for the kill; i know that.

    hail, hitler.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    What do you read about?

    What's your favorite subject?

    How do you deal with difficult feelings?
    my answers are very different from spongie's.

    --------
    Demonstration of Ne at work: Indulge me. the idea came from whatever's blog; the skittles. If you're a visual INTP who loves play, no way you wouldn't like this. heehee.

    order of the rainbow, phrased in smileys.

    :SaiyanSmilie_anim: :rolleyes2: :horor:



    edit: carebear, love your new avatar. can you redo mine? any of the previous. perhaps the sleeping one is the easiest..let's see how good ya are.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

    --T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

  3. #43
    ~dangerous curves ahead~
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    2,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    Not 100% accurate. I search for flaws in perfection, criticize people for being stupid AND search for something that makes me feel needed. And I'd think the latter is something quite a few INTPs do as well, consciously or not. (Especially those with high Fi.) So the difference lies more in which of those gets the higher priority when they're mutually exclusive. I will normally keep looking for ways to get both (I never really accept that they're mutually exclusive before I've made a lot of effort to reconcile them), but will accept flaws in perfection and stupidity if there's no way to get it all. An INTP will rarely accept stupidity or imperfection in order to be needed. Better to maintain integrity and see if people won't see the need for that eventually.
    That's the difference I meant, careboob. We're in agreement there, methinks. I meant at the crux of choosing, which defines. INFPs would accept the flaws simply. INTPs, very very rarely. Perhaps resign themselves, but always chaff at it.

    True, but feeling used is an immature tendency that most mature, healthy INFPs don't exhibit much. I give to bind some people to me, but more often I do it simply to feel good. Don't want to bind too many people to me... it's restricting and draining.
    True, but the tendency to regress/search again is stronger in the INFP, I feel.. in the sense that, if someone who needed you once, no longer needs you, you'd seek out another. I'd guess mature ones only seek to bind a few. And hold on to them like limpets to a ship's bottom?

    Hm... not everyone. I agree it's ingrained in us, but we learn to accept that it's impossible to be happy if happiness depends on everyone being happy. So we choose carefully who we need to be ok.
    Everyone was my bad at generalisation. My apologies. You got my meaning there though. I meant that balancing of others' interests whom they care about, especially if these conflicts, causes the INFP a great deal of consternation.

    I don't see how this follows. Though I do see the relativeness in most things, I also think it's possible to get logic and values in sync and strive towards that ideal. Are you saying idealists are the ones who see the relativeness and the rationals are the ones who see the ideals?
    I'm saying that to INTPs, reason and emotion, values and thinking have to go hand in hand, 100% happy happy, but in reality, it seldom does, so they tend to abandon that ideal in its entirety, vs compromise. I think INFPs compromise a lot more. Hence the relativity. So that strange result as you said. Idealists (INFPs) accept relativity, rationals (INTPs) see ideals.


    SH's. How did you know about my server in India? We've been infiltrated! (Ok, seriously, I just realized I was starting to become very attached to my blinking skellington and remembered it wasn't mine at all. I want to "borrow" not steal.)
    It was either in India or Bangladesh or Ireland. I made a few calls.

  4. #44
    Junior Member tramnineteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I haven't read this entire thread. So I apologize in advance if I am off-topic, repeating someone else, or just being an ass.

    Someone pointed out that there are not 16 distinct flavors of personality. I partially agree however I would phrase this idea differently.

    There are clearly 16 personality types. However, people often mistakenly assume that one always acts within the archetype. I am half-way between thinking and feeling on tests. That is proof of the idea we cannot all be archetypes. However, I defiantly am not ENFP. I am an ENTP. The reason I know this with such certainty is because of the logic behind my "feeling" decisions, and because I compartmentalize my life into feeling and thinking areas. When I am making a buying decision I use my thinking priority so that I am financially responsible. When I decide what to eat I also use my thinking side so I feel good all day. However, I smoke cigarettes which on a moment my moment is sometimes decided by my feelings but overall I know that I am letting that area go and my rational side has taken care for it.


    It's not that people don't fit in 16 categories. they actually do. It's just that unless you have a complete picture of their entire life and all their thoughts, feelings, and rationalizations, it's very hard to categorize in an empirical way.

    It LOOKS like there are exceptions, in reality the pattern is just extremely complex.
    Don't believe everything you think.

  5. #45
    will make your day Carebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    That's the difference I meant, careboob. We're in agreement there, methinks. I meant at the crux of choosing, which defines. INFPs would accept the flaws simply. INTPs, very very rarely. Perhaps resign themselves, but always chaff at it.



    True, but the tendency to regress/search again is stronger in the INFP, I feel.. in the sense that, if someone who needed you once, no longer needs you, you'd seek out another. I'd guess mature ones only seek to bind a few. And hold on to them like limpets to a ship's bottom?



    Everyone was my bad at generalisation. My apologies. You got my meaning there though. I meant that balancing of others' interests whom they care about, especially if these conflicts, causes the INFP a great deal of consternation.



    I'm saying that to INTPs, reason and emotion, values and thinking have to go hand in hand, 100% happy happy, but in reality, it seldom does, so they tend to abandon that ideal in its entirety, vs compromise. I think INFPs compromise a lot more. Hence the relativity. So that strange result as you said. Idealists (INFPs) accept relativity, rationals (INTPs) see ideals.
    Ok, yes, then I totally agree.


    Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    It was either in India or Bangladesh or Ireland. I made a few calls.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

  6. #46
    Senior Member ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    7,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tramnineteen View Post
    I haven't read this entire thread. So I apologize in advance if I am off-topic, repeating someone else, or just being an ass.
    Or all three!

  7. #47
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post

    True, but feeling used is an immature tendency that most mature, healthy INFPs don't exhibit much. I give to bind some people to me, but more often I do it simply to feel good. Don't want to bind too many people to me... it's restricting and draining...

    ITA with this. I always focused on binding just a few chosen people to myself. It is a fear of mine to be restricted by some group and also like Carebear says, it is extremely draining to give to too many people, but a joy to give to a chosen few. I have to feel for someone and respect something in them before I give of myself to them. I don't just give to make just anyone in general happy. It has to come from my sincere feelings.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Cypocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    eNtP
    Enneagram
    4w5/
    Posts
    252

    Default

    I'm an INTP with a strong Fi My weakest area is the Fe so there's no doubt about the legitimacy of my INTP disposition.

    I've always envisioned that, if feelings are molded correctly, it can complement the thinking function. I've experienced things in life where my output is affected by my motivation, so I eventually realized that things are not always defined by rationality, probability of successes, etc. I have to be motivated, and with this, I have to have a certain degree of faith on something--not necessarily unearthly.

    I'm a humanist, so I guess this is an amalgam of the T and the F.

Similar Threads

  1. I'm An INTP - So Now What?
    By Mal12345 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-24-2013, 09:07 PM
  2. Why am i an intp? Im not an intp.
    By Liberty in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 01:19 PM
  3. something better than "Hi I am an INTP"?...I guess not.
    By kaboom in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-02-2008, 05:12 PM
  4. I am Not, an INTP
    By Anonymous in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-31-2008, 11:42 PM
  5. [MBTItm] Convincing someone that they are not an INTP
    By prplchknz in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 01-14-2008, 02:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO