User Tag List

First 1234 Last

heart on fire

Yes, I think there is misconception that Feelers reacting to raw emotions as judgement and so a Feeler may say "well I think over my decisions, I don't just react, therefore I am a thinker." but really what they mean by thinking is weighing situations against their FEELING, the base of values and experiences they carry within, which may very well be influenced by logic and perception, but is really Feeling and not the more logic dominated Thinking function.

EDIT: Can you deal with taking something on faith, like in the area of personal relationships or do you NEED to map out logically the why?

MBTI
    INFP

Ah... perfectly explained.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    What do you read about?

What's your favorite subject?

How do you deal with difficult feelings?

Why do you dress goth?
    What? I don't dress goth. I dress dark, but that's not automatically goth.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    The key deciding factor it what you are using for judgment. Values or logic. Not whether you think things over, but when you are thinking what are script are you running it through, what's most logical or what balances best against your values?
    That's almost a trick question. If I'm getting things right, there should be no difference between the two.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

heart on fire

No, it is very different. Logic will be hard and sure, with clear cut explainations available to give account to. The Feeler will be the one to see it as a trick question, in my opinion. I used to see it as such until I understood it better.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    That's almost a trick question. If I'm getting things right, there should be no difference between the two.
    I rarely think about my values. I occasionally pull them up to look at and analyse and try to make them logically consistent and to define them more accurately. I almost never use them when making a decision. And when I do, it's generally emotionless (eg choosing a fuel-efficient vehicle because I know all the logical reasons to do so - it's generally devoid of 'feeling' for me).

Does that help with clarifying Ti vs Fi?

heart on fire

I am constantly reviewing and examining my values and comparing them to whatever new information comes in, including what is most "logical". It is like having a rose garden that I am constantly keeping pruned and cared for. Everything in life touches my values and everything I put back out there comes from my values.

So I mean I am constantly analyzing and thinking, but my agenda when doing so is very different from an INTP.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

What I mean is, I try to base my beliefs off of what I think make sense.
    I have what could be accurately called a value system. I constantly search myself and this system for contradictions. In my opinion, there shouldn't be any contradictions because self-contradiction doesn't make sense.
    It is my aim to make logic and values one and the same, because I don't think any of my values should be illogical.
    There are exceptions of course. There's a point when you have to act on faith. Technically, the question "why" can be carried on infinitely, so you have to draw a line somewhere.

In terms of problem solving and making arguments, I always start on a platform of rationale. I do not use personal emotions or non-sensical claims of holiness as my primary point.

As for as I'm concerned, a good ethic comes from good reasoning.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

And to make it clear, I believe I know what the difference between Ti and Fi is. In the very opening of this topic I explained that I was confident in my type and not in need of enlightment about who I am.
    I was mainly curious about how you perceived me and why you perceived me that way.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

heart on fire

I am not talking about personal "emotions" or "non-sensical claims of holiness", comments like these aren't showing an understanding of Fi as judgment function. jmo.

I am talking about well thought out and long kept "values."

An INTP I think would be far more uncomfortable cutting off the "why" question than an INFP would in the area of emotion and relationship. They will not simply base something on what they believe is most logical, they will NEED to find the hard logic or they will be very uncomforable.

MBTI
    INFP

That post, Magic, reminds me of my INTP friend (of whom I am certain is INTP), so I think it is safe to say that having values and wanting them to coincide with your logic is perfectly normal for an INTP.