User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: INFP or ENFP?

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Default INFP or ENFP?

I have gone from one dilemma to another.

As I've gotten to study MBTI more and from reading Keirsey's book, I feel that I am definitely an Idealist of some sort. I definitely have strong emotions but I never realized how much deeper they are for an NF than other temperaments. I care a lot of other people. I want them to be happy and am always willing to give a helping hand to those I care about. I also have the tendency to really care about what other people think of me. Ideally, I desire to be liked by everyone. If I suspect that someone doesn't like me, it makes me depressed even though I know that I have many awesome friends and then will try too hard to get those people to like me but prejudice is a horrible monster that affects a lot of people.

I related to the ENFP profile even more than I could to the INTP profile. However, Keirsey doesn't differentiate between Introversion/Extraversion so much, thinking that it isn't important. Ideally, I would say that I am ambiverted. However, I am unsure. I am definitely energized by other people, but only those I really like. I can be social and can talk off the cuff with ease. If I am alone for too long, I get depressed. However, I often like my alone time to read, write stories, and post on forums such as this. I often need external validation to gain motivation to do things. I could relate to what an ENTP said about himself in a personality type book that he has many ideas but needs to talk about them with others to figure out which ones are worth working on and which ones aren't.

Finally, I don't think that Introversion/Extraversion really makes a strong correlation with assertiveness. One of my best friends is an INTJ who I would say is very assertive socially, but he also definitely needs and enjoys his alone time and chooses his friends wisely. He even has the tendency to interrupt others in group conversations when (I guess) he feels what he has to say is more important. In one-to-one conversations, he often does more of the talking, even if I am the more 'extraverted' one of the duo. TJ's tend to more dominant than FP's though.

How do Extraverted iNtuitives deal with relationships? I find that I have a small group of close friends and a large group of acquaintances. I choose my close friends based on the conversations I can have with them.

I have never been afraid of meeting new people and my Introverted friends are amazed by my ability to just start a conversation so eagerly with people I never met before. I tend to handle myself well and am able to find common ground with people I meet. I often get people talking about themselves a lot, many I even mistook to be Extraverts but learned later on that they are definite Introverts. I am just 'easy to talk to'. I thought it was partially because I was so unassertive myself but learned that it may actually have been for the reverse that I was able to get others to get talking, since I often find myself asking them some interesting and thought-provoking questions.

I have talked to someone about this and that person said that my 'introversion' is simply rooted from some insecurities I have about myself and that it is more destructive for me than it would be for a typical introvert and that is why I can seem withdrawn at times, that I am likely an extravert and not an introvert.

What would you think from what I wrote?
    If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

MBTI
    eNFP

I just want to say that I related to a LOT of what you said in your post!!
    On online mulitiple choice assesments, I myself always score as a borderline E, but as a very high NFP.

I myself am a little confused about E vs I.
    I know that NFPs tend to need more "alone" time, but does this make us necessarily introverts? That is to say, do even ENFPs look like introverts often by their peers?

I call myself an extrovert because I have a strong strong need to be out there with people and out there in the world. That's where I get my energy from.
    ` I also feel that my own introverted tendancies aren't my REAL self, but instead are from my inconfidence and my woundings/baggage. I know that when I'm feeling most "natural" and most "free", I am *so* extroverted -- I am always "in" the environment I am in, wanting to connect with people and wanting to notice all the beauty around me and "feel" my place in all of it (very Ne).

Not a very substantial post, I know, but I just wanted to quickly say (for my first post ever on these forums!) that I'm delighted to see that someone else has the same question as I do!

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

I think the confusion with I/E in NFPs is quite a common one. I've been confused myself.

Rather than me reiterating everything that's been said, have a look at these threads:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...p-vs-enfp.html
    (my own question I posed some time back)

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...t-fiction.html
    (this one's quite long, but fascinating. )

I think the confusion has a lot to do with our extraverted function, Ne. If you look at all the others: Fe is centered around people, Te is to do with organising systems, and Se acts on the immediate physical environment. Ne, on the other hand, is to do with interpreting meanings and ideas.

And when your extraverted function is focused on interpretation and ideas, that is certainly not seen as 'stereotypical extraverted behaviour' by those around you. Hence the confusion of a lot of NPs.

So, with that all said, my guess is you're an extravert, albeit one who might be a bit shy or insecure some of the time, but an extravert nonetheless.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Just be the # of threads you've created on this: extravert. In private (more intimate), introverts can tend to talk more than extraverts, in my real life experience.

MBTI
    INFP

An ENFP needs the constant rush of interaction (and sometimes likes downtime), an INFP needs to get away from it all to reflect. ENFPs prefer to think on their feet.. they like to be in the action. INFPs are introspective and reflective and more withdrawn... there is a huge difference there. You have to know which one you are! Look within, my frind.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Thanks for the input!
    I'm not sure what I am yet.
    It all matters by why I feel that I am so unassertive in social situations.
    If it's from the fact that I am afraid that much of what I'm going to say will hurt other's feelings and cause conflict, so I choose to hold back and not show an 'assertive side', I could very well be an extrovert.
    If it's due to some sort of 'introversion', then I would most likely be an introvert.
    For now, I'm sticking to XNFP.

I am energized by people who I enjoy being around and am not so bothered by the lack of alone time in college but find I need it to keep my grades up. However, while I definitely can hold my own in a group conversation, I find that I often get interrupted by more assertive personalities with ease (mostly Extraverted types) and I find I get annoyed with talking after the interruption, since I think what I had to say must have not been that important. Would an Extravert not care about such things? Would an Extravert just keep talking despite the interruption?

heart on fire

Maybe you are ENFP with well developed Fi that enables you to concentrate very well and when you get into that zone you just want to stay there and finish what you are working on.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

You're going to think I am totally wacko, but just by looking at your style of writing, I would say you're ENFP.

ENFPs tend to loathe writing dense paragraphs, at least in a forum setting (I've noticed).

Visually, your writing looks kinda like Gabe's, who is an ENFP.

INFPs tend to be more traditional in their written presentation.

*This is totally just a weird theory of mine, so please take it lightly
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFP

ENFPs are known as the INTROVERTED EXTROVERTS.
    They spend a lot of time alone to centre themselves, and reflect. They also need quiet time alone to recharge...thats what I do anyways.
    So I wouldnt be surprised if youre an ENFP.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

CaptainChick: I could believe that theory! Not entirely wacko.

Since ENFP's need a lot of time alone to recharge as well, I am going to go with ENFP! Yay!!!!!