Thread: INFP or ENFP?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    ENxPs are a curious blend of Extroverts, since they are often described as "shy". It's probably because of the overwhelming Ne...
    I really don't get the idea that ENFP's would be shy. Here's one for stereotypes:
    ESFP's are definitely NOT shy either.

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

"Shy" is maybe a bad word. Ne dominants (ENFPs and ENTPs) are supposedly more stimulated by *new* ideas, things, experiences, people, etc; so if they're in an ordinary environment, many authors point out that they can be remarkably "checked out" of it.

As for INFP vs. ENFP, I've similarly found it very hard to distinguish between being an introvert or extrovert. The thing that's killer, though, is that the function alignment of INTP (Ti/Ne/Si/Fe) just *does not* make sense at all for me, whereas Ne/Ti/Fe/Si makes a hell of a lot of sense.

It's weird, but the types are sort of more than the sum of their parts. Being an "introvert" or "extrovert" means entirely different things to an xNFJ and an xNFP. My suggestion in general is, once you've boiled your type down to something that's between one letter, to look at the cognitive functions.

I enjoy these websites on this topic:

Tracking, Vol. I, Chapter 1
    Jungian Psychological Type

Cheers, Mondo!
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

MBTI
    NeXx
    Socionics
    IeE

I don't know if it's too late for me to say that you might really be an ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    Over the past week, I have come to realize that I am probably an INFP over an ENFP. The reason for picking I over E is fairly simple. I realize that I am a lot more outgoing for one-on-one conversations than I am with group conversations. I have the natural tendency to stay quiet when I am in a large group, I have to work at being more talkative in that case and to be frank... talking to many people kind of wears me out. I think that classifies me as an Introvert. Thinking I was an ENFP was fun, but I think I am ready to say that I am an INFP.
    If anyone here is familiar with Socionics, you should know ENFP in MBTI is IEE in Socionics. IEEs use Ne as dominant and Fi as auxiliary like in MBTI as well. I found a very well detailed description of mature, well-developed IEEs here
    Please check it out. It's very long.

At the very end, it goes, "They feel more comfortable and confident expressing their personal sentiments one-on-one or in a small group than expressing group sentiments."

So if you really use Ne as your dominant function, I think you're an ENFP.
    "Adversity makes men, and prosperity makes monsters"

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

The more I think about it- the more I think I might be an E over an I- just one who has been a little insecure from time to time.

I definitely can relate to Ne much more than Ti or Fi- also I am a hell lot more enthusiastic than my Introverted friends. That was one of the reasons why some of my MBTI colleagues (who I know personally) felt that INTP wasn't necessarily a good fit since I like other people too much and am energized by some people.

When I'm nervous around others, I get very reserved and calculated- making sure that everything I say keeps me the people I'm with liking me. That has been one of my problems. I think I may actually be an ENTP. Another difference between me and my more Introverted friends AND where I am similar to my Extraverted friends is a love of parties- I just always felt more comfortable in the party scene. I thought that part of the reason was simply because at parties it's usually very easy to flirt with girls and dance with them but the fact I enjoy doing that seems more E than I in the first place.

The reason why I am really considering the switch is because recently I have been reading about philosophies such as Taoism and Tony Robbins' book for self improvement. I think much of my 'introversion' was simply a front so people won't get too close to me and harm my 'ego'.
    These are reasons why I'm now considering E over I.

Such people see exciting possibilities in every new venture and are excellent at perceiving latent abilities in other people. They get carried away with the enthusiasm of their vision and often inspire others with the courage of their conviction. As such, they do well in occupations where these qualities are at a premium - for example in initiating new projects, in business, politics or the stock market. They are, however, easily bored and stifled by unchanging conditions.
    When I'm secure and confident- this definitely describes me. People have been criticizing my ideas for being too 'pie-in-the-sky' since I first learned how to talk. I'm trying to get rid of the 'ego' and hopefully that will make me more confident in talking about my ideas since it won't matter what other people will think about them.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I would have to agree with arcticangel02, Ne doesn't require people to function fully so an enfp could be isolated with nothing but his imagination and function almost as well as an enfp. enfps and infps show different facets of their personalities to the world, but on the inside, they're extremely similar(I was infp as a child but now I'm an enfp). contrarily, an enfp and esfp will seem quite similar externally(they're both wacky and crazy), but internally, the enfp is extremely philosophical and fantasy oriented.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

also, you may be an enfp with a well developed Te that you can use as a defense against unfamiliar or more formal situations (hence when you said you were cold and calculated around people whom you were uncomfortable around). I developed Te from studying economics, taking debate and having a bunch of intj heroes like sesshomaru from inuyasha and saito hajime from rurouni kenshin. I used this in school as a defense when people would make fun of me. it's fun to use so that may be the reason for your thinking you are a T.

MBTI
    INFP

Admit you're an INFP already.

muttermutterselfhatingINFPsmutter

Get your enneagram more accurate. It can help a lot.

We are all similar as ENFPs but there are a few different flavours. And enneagram seems to enhance different aspects. 7s are slightly more happiness driven (from my perspective), 5s are slightly more knowledge driven, 4s are slightly more self understanding driven, not sure about the rest, but yeh there isn't really just one ENFP.

Both ENFP and INFP do introverted stuff, like be here on the forum, listen to music, write, paint, photography, reading. As said in the post above ENFPs often have quite a deep philosophical and imaginative introverted side. There is just a misconception sometimes that we always run around like happy little children. So it can be hard to decide based on introversion. And both ENFP and INFP on average seem to do pretty well against the NTs at school, if you took T for intelligence.

If you are quite social, that appears to be ENFP though. If you comfortably read new people and adapt instinctively also, that is ENFP. Though a lot of the time it is somewhere between conscious and subconscious. Just conversation goes smoothly, and people listen to you and tell you lots of things, hehe. I think it develops more as you get older though. When I was younger I had a way with it but it was by no means regular or controlled. I used to chat to people most were scared of though. There was sort of an arrogance that you could negotiate your way out of anything, and no one would see a reason to hurt you if you met them on their level. Even if they were chatting to you about how many people they had beat up already that evening.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

judging from your post, you might be an ENFJ or INFJ. ENFPs don't generally care that much about what others think about them. FJ types (Fe) tend to care a great deal about harmony and making sure everyone gets along, although an NFJ usually isn't as willing to compromise their independence or authenticity to fit in. also, the NFPs strong point is his imagination and many are very connected with nature. for example, when I was 7, my dad stepped on a butterfly and I cried for 2 hours. INFJs and NFPs can also have zoning out problems (as a child, my nature state of mind was being zoned out. most people with strong S or J ratings had trouble understanding why).

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I can relate to this problem. I'm borderline E/I NFP myself. As a child, I leaned more towards I but at school I'm much more E. Some people confuse Intuitive types with introverts. Intuitives tend to be more self reflective, less dependent on people, more intellectual, and more out of the mainstream. American society tends to view these characteristics as introverted. Imagination is also considered highly introverted, but NFPs are the most imaginative of all the types. Furthermore, Ne does not require people to function like Fe Te or Se do (although it helps for sharing ideas and making new connections). It's hard to balance both sides though. Too much Fi and you can become oversensitive, depressed and vulnerable (I started using Ne at school early on because some other kids could really hurt my feelings). Too much Ne and you can talk too much and not let other people have a chance to speak.