• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type am I? Please help :[

sn0wed

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Okay forum here it goes,

Last night I was in psychology class and my teacher goes off and starts talking about temperament types. I got really excited! I went on a site and proceeded to fill out a 73 question survey to try to get my type. I got ESFJ.

Now here's my problem with this.

I'm extroverted in the sense that I like to talk to random people and constantly be able to find someone I know in places that I go. But, when it comes down to it, I really like to be alone in my down time and I like to watch TV, play video games, and just do what I want. I don't like to be around people when I'm not in class or out and about, I just like to be by myself. That's when I thought the test might be wrong, and I might be ISFJ.

I really kind of need help, it bugs me quite a bit. Is there anyone who can shed light on this?

Thanks guys :)

Noon

Jung's I/E isn't really about social behavior. It's about objectivity (external focus/environment) and subjectivity (internal focus/self).

If that makes little or no sense, 3 questions:

Are you initiating or are you responding?

Do you prefer faster response or more time for reflection?

Which do you value more in your life (where are your biggest priorities): Si (i.e. continuity and guarding against the unknown*) or Fe (i.e. productive relationships and solid collective values*)?

*Don't take my word too literally on either of these examples; I think they're both much more complicated than that. The summary is only for the sake of simplicity.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Everyone needs some alone time, even extroverts. One of the classic questions on MBTI tests is: "After being out at a party and having a lot of social interaction, do you feel (a) Energized or (b) Drained?"
Your answer to that might shed some light. Or you just might be close to 50/50 E/I.

sn0wed

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Jung's I/E isn't really about social behavior. It's about objectivity (external focus/environment) and subjectivity (internal focus/self).

If that makes little or no sense, 3 questions:

Are you initiating or are you responding?

Do you prefer faster response or more time for reflection?

Which do you value more in your life (where are your biggest priorities): Si (i.e. continuity and guarding against the unknown*) or Fe (i.e. productive relationships and solid collective values*)?

*Don't take my word too literally on either of these examples; I think they're both much more complicated than that. The summary is only for the sake of simplicity.

1.) I'm usually the one initiating.
2.) Faster responses, always.
3.) Fe - I'm never guarding against the unknown, always embracing it.

sn0wed

MBTI Type
ESFJ
@Sarcasticus - I don't go to parties because of an internal fear of making an ass out of myself in front of everyone. Plus the fear of rejection.

Noon

1.) I'm usually the one initiating.
2.) Faster responses, always.
3.) Fe - I'm never guarding against the unknown, always embracing it.

You sound a bit more like an ESFJ, then. I'm surprised a test managed to type you properly.

Would you also say you feel more connected with your environment instead of more comfortable in your own head?

(I really like your username, by the way.)

My mom is a more introverted ESFJ and needs her downtime as well. So it's not unheard of. :)

sn0wed

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Hmm, that's a difficult question. I'd have to say I'm more connected with my environment...things in my head don't make sense so I express them and try to make sense of them. Haha.

(Thank you, this has been my username since like '07 when I used it on AIM as a joke between a friend and I)

sn0wed

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Here's my big problem - I am constantly trying to communicate with my boyfriend, and I love spending time with him and being with him. He constantly tells me that I'm obnoxious since I talk to people I know when I see them. He doesn't talk to anyone and prefers his alone time. He also likes to take time to make decisions and etc. What do you think he might be? I think he's my exact opposite.

Noon

Hmm, that's a difficult question. I'd have to say I'm more connected with my environment...things in my head don't make sense so I express them and try to make sense of them. Haha.

Yeah, I would guess ESFJ then perhaps? :)

Here's my big problem - I am constantly trying to communicate with my boyfriend, and I love spending time with him and being with him. He constantly tells me that I'm obnoxious since I talk to people I know when I see them. He doesn't talk to anyone and prefers his alone time. He also likes to take time to make decisions and etc. What do you think he might be? I think he's my exact opposite.

He could simply be more cautious and reserved or... simply less sociable, an introvert in the common/social sense.

I think one of the most confusing things about deciding on dominant introversion or extroversion via the MBTI dichotomies instead of the actual functions, is that you get a lot of people mistaking themselves for the opposite, like sociable introverts, extroverts with things like social anxiety, and especially ENxPs, who are still focused on the environment but not concretely so (as in not in the classic sense of loving to talk with people and go to parties and things). Confusing.

sn0wed

MBTI Type
ESFJ
He could simply be more cautious and reserved or... simply less sociable, an introvert in the common/social sense.

I think one of the most confusing things about deciding on dominant introversion or extroversion via the MBTI dichotomies instead of the actual functions, is that you get a lot of people mistaking themselves for the opposite, like sociable introverts, extroverts with things like social anxiety, and especially ENxPs, who are still focused on the environment but not concretely (as in not in the classic sense of loving to talk with people and go to parties and things). Confusing.

He doesn't even like going out in public, that of which I've picked up as introvert tendencies. He'll make me ask for his food at cafeterias. He also has a high anxiety about his conscious self. It's kind of odd, most guys aren't supposed to be like that. But, nevertheless, I am guessing that he is my exact opposite, something like INTP or something like that.

sn0wed

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I appreciate your help, I have more questions, but I must go conquer a Japanese midterm right now...haha. Be back sooner or later X_x