• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Viridian's Enneatype?

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
In my "Confused INFx" thread, brainheart suggested that I might not be a 5w4 as I had presumed. As such, I humbly request your help in order to try to find my real Enneatype. If you please. :)

I'll list arguments for and against all the Enneatypes being mine; that way, I might even shatter some stereotypes! Hooray! :D

One (The Reformer)
Pro:
* I keep a tight rein on my temper
* I've been called a perfectionist, which sounds about right (afraid that getting a C in a college class might mean I'm a failure)
* I resent it when people don't follow some basic rules, like not running past yellow/red lights *cough*dad*cough*
* I was the "well-behaved kid" in my class, wanted no part in rule-breaking and rabble-rousing
Against:
* I'm not condemnatory (though a few people consider me critical), in fact I try my best to be tolerant
* I'm not exactly a hard-working ox; while I try to be responsible and helpful, I'm not quite as diligent as some people I know
* I'd feel very uncomfortable in a "mentor" or "teacher" position, which a lot of Ones seem comfortable with (I had a One math teacher once - the only teacher who wore a tie ;))
* "Certitude" isn't one of my strong points; I often question whether my own judgement is worthy

Two (The Helper)
Pro
* I try my best to help people and avoid being seen as selfish
* I'm a bit of a brown-noser (though a lot of the people I praise deserve the flattery, IMO)
* I'd hate to be seen as unkind
Against
* I don't sacrifice too much of my free time
* I seldom meddle (sometimes I'm all "not my business", unless they ask for my help)
* I usually dislike children (boy, they are LOUD)
* I do not assume a "caretaker" role spontaneously
* While I try to be friendly, it takes a while for me to show my affection in a non-stilted way

Three (The Achiever)
Pro
* I care quite a bit about how I'm perceived
* I'm pretty sensitive to humiliation
* I do my best to be diplomatic
* I often compare myself with others to see how I'm doing (if only to get some perspective)
Against
* I HATE the spotlight (though sometimes I display a bit of attention whoring - just ask Elfboy :newwink:)
* I am not very ambitious (hate taking big risks professionally for fear of failure)
* I don't usually "know my audience", nor am I attuned to that particular aspect of interpersonal communication (I work better one-on-one)
* I define success as "avoiding failure" more often than as "getting to the top"

Four (The Individualist)
Pro
* I've experienced a lot of envy growing up (once my position as "the classroom smart guy" was usurped :doh:)
* The drama is my favorite film genre
* I often see beauty in melancholy and melancholic people
* I seek beauty in my theoretical explorations (boy, that sounded pretentious...)
Against
* I do not often feel "entitled" or "elite", and resent elitists
* While I "shimmer under the surface", I don't wish to express emotional intensity
* I don't naturally seek to express myself through art - in fact, I've been pressured to write more often...

Five (The Investigator)
Pro
* I'm a pretty solitary person; during vacations, I have little human contact
* I often fear being overwhelmed by the demands of the world
* I try to detach in order to subdue my distaste and anger (when present)
* I used to be known in school as "the shy, smart guy"
* My room is a bit of a "cocoon", where I explore the world (of fiction, more often than not) through books
* I often "absorb more than I give" intelectually, according to a close relative of mine
Against
* I don't have much of an interest in science or literary theory; many college texts zoom right past my brain, especially when they're about (dun dun DUN) semiotics
* I don't usually feel "intelectually superior" to my peers (though I think I might have in the past)

Six (The Loyalist)
Pro
* I'm a bit insecure, and enjoy it when people tell me "You're doing fine"
* I'm kind of neurotic, but it often concerns my shortcomings rather than worst-case scenarios
* I have a bit of fear of rejection, so I try to be friendly (sp-dom 6s do that, right?)
* I try not to call too much attention to myself
Against
* Unlike many Sixes, I'm not politically involved, though I do vote
* I don't seek groups or alliances - I have to be pushed to do so
* I don't often have "a nose for danger" (tend to be pretty trusting)
* I don't experience extremes of commitment or rebellion very often

Seven (The Enthusiast)
Pro
* When I meet people who enjoy my company and stimulate me (such as you guys :hi:), I can get quite perky
Against
* I'm not impulsive, to the point where I usually miss opportunities
* I HATE HATE HATE parties
* I dislike taking risks of a physical or financial nature

Eight (The Challenger)
Pro
* I can sometimes be obstinate
Against
* I often draw boundaries between me and others, and try not to violate theirs
* I'm usually pretty compliant, not confrontational
* I have a bit of a hard time getting angry

Nine (The Peacemaker)
Pro
* I avoid conflict as much as I can
* I often try not to "dampen" the atmosphere, so I try to be nice to people
* I frequently go all "whatever you say, I got no idea"
* I avoid intellectual contentiousness
* Tolerance is a big value of mine
Against
* I'm usually a bit downcast on the inside (my 9w8 mom accused me of being "negative")
* I can't shrug off failure easily
* I like to have some order in my life
* I have difficulty creating inner peace
* I'm accused of being "too serious" by others
* As said above, I experience quite a lot of neurosis and self-doubt
* My mind is not usually "clear" or "fuzzy" so much as "filled with white noise made from fleeting thoughts"
* I often try to plan ahead ("Tiresias told them, but did they listen?")

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
let's see, first off, you're not:
3, 4, 5, 7, or 8.
this leaves possibilities of 1, 2, 6 and 9. of these, 2 and 6 seem most likely. that being said, 2 and 6 are definitely in your tritype.
I would say your most likely options are
1) 2w1 2-6-9 or 2-6-1
2) 6w5 6-2-9 or 6-2-1
3) 9w1 9-2-6 or 9-6-2
4) 1w9 1-2-6 or 1-6-2

as for instinctual variants, this test will give you a good general idea

http://similarminds.com/variant.html

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my instinctual variant results are this
Sexual ||||||||||||||||||||| 66%
Social |||||| 18%
Self Preservation |||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 90%

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Thanks for the reply, buddy! :biggrin: Those are interesting options... I'm still curious about what you think about the ways I supposedly contradict my type... Any ideas?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for the reply, buddy! :biggrin: Those are interesting options... I'm still curious about what you think about the ways I supposedly contradict my type... Any ideas?

I don't see a ton of contradictions so far, but maybe they will become more apparent as you post more

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I don't see a ton of contradictions so far, but maybe they will become more apparent as you post more

No, I mean the ones I listed in the "against" categories. And believe me, I can and will post more if you ask me questions. Just look at the uber-zombification I did to my "Confused INFx" thread. :newwink:

Also, I took the test:

Sexual |||||||||||| 34%
Social |||||||||||||||||| 58%
Self Preservation ||||||||||||||||||||| 70%

Seems like I'm a sp/so. That's funny, I thought I was a sp/sx, given how little socialization I do willingly in RL...

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
let's see, first off, you're not:
3, 4, 5, 7, or 8.

This much I get... but does that mean these can't be found in my tritype?

Also, what about me sounds Two-ish to you? Not many Twos "hoard" their time, do they?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This much I get... but does that mean these can't be found in my tritype?

Also, what about me sounds Two-ish to you? Not many Twos "hoard" their time, do they?

they may be in your tritype (I'm not an expert)
self preservation 2s may indeed hoard like other self preservation types.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
they may be in your tritype (I'm not an expert)
self preservation 2s may indeed hoard like other self preservation types.

Hmmm... point taken.

What about 6w5s? Are they as paranoid, pessimistic and defiant as those profiles make them out to be?

(Again, thanks for the help! :hi:)

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Also, feel free to give your 2¢, people other than Elfboy! :smile: Any contribution is appreciated. :hug:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmmm.... lets see then, I'd say 1, 5, 6, and 9 are your strongest, if you go by one type the neither 9w1 or 5w6, although by tri-type, I would say 9, 5, and 2, although not necesarily in that order.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Thanks a load, SI! :smile:

Hmmm.... lets see then, I'd say 1, 5, 6, and 9 are your strongest, if you go by one type the neither 9w1 or 5w6, although by tri-type, I would say 9, 5, and 2, although not necesarily in that order.

Did you mean to say "then either"? Just asking, I was a bit confused...

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes I meant "then either", I lack the ability to double check my grammer and spelling errors :blush:

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Hmmm, I'll elaborate a bit on Six vs. Nine. Trouble is, I feel like I'm in a midpoint between the two...

Like a Six, I antecipate - moreso than my ISFP mom, but not to the point of catastrophism; I get afraid of being emotionally disturbed - or even scarred - by grisly images or physical sensations; I wonder if people think I'm strange and alienated even when they're kinda friendly; I wonder if I'm "doing well"; I hate disappointing people and fear they'll "cut me off" for not responding adequately; I sometimes experience paralyzing self-doubt; I have some pride issues, and fear no one takes me seriously; I try to be friendly to gain affection and "be okay in other's books"; I'm a bit "negative", as my mom says; I "hoard" a bit too much, since I wonder if I'll need/want X in the future (Chekhov's Gun Syndrome?)

Like a Nine, I'm trusting; I'm somewhat escapistic, though I like to think of my personal reading as more than a "distraction"; I'm a bit alienated from the social scene; I don't let people know when I'm hurt or sad, unless they're my confidantes; I highly value tolerance towards different people; I often refrain too much from expressing my opinions; I often avoid confrontation and even debate; I avoid thinking too much about "dark" things and I have a bit of a dislike for cynics.

I've also heard that Fives look for what disturbs them in thought systems, while Nines look for a sense of harmony. While I'm not a New Age retro-hippie, I do avoid thinking about things like ulterior motives and political forces too much...

For a final tidbit, you know how, in Disney's Beauty and the Beast, the "Belle" musical number showed how the entire village thinks Belle is a nutty oddball behind her back, even though they're friendly(-ish) to her? I sometimes feel like my college acquaintances do something similar, except substituting the interest and suspicion of the SJs for the apathy and exasperation of the NTs (yeah, he's nice, but he's so... mindless.)

(Too Wall-O-Text? :unsure:)

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by Viridian
Like a Six, I antecipate - moreso than my ISFP mom, but not to the point of catastrophism; I get afraid of being emotionally disturbed - or even scarred - by grisly images or physical sensations; I wonder if people think I'm strange and alienated even when they're kinda friendly; I wonder if I'm "doing well"; I hate disappointing people and fear they'll "cut me off" for not responding adequately; I sometimes experience paralyzing self-doubt; I have some pride issues, and fear no one takes me seriously; I try to be friendly to gain affection and "be okay in other's books"; I'm a bit "negative", as my mom says; I "hoard" a bit too much, since I wonder if I'll need/want X in the future (Chekhov's Gun Syndrome?)

Actually, this seems like an enneagram three, it's incredibly image focused and the basic fear is how people percieve you.

Like a Nine, I'm trusting; I'm somewhat escapistic, though I like to think of my personal reading as more than a "distraction"; I'm a bit alienated from the social scene; I don't let people know when I'm hurt or sad, unless they're my confidantes; I highly value tolerance towards different people; I often refrain too much from expressing my opinions; I often avoid confrontation and even debate; I avoid thinking too much about "dark" things and I have a bit of a dislike for cynics.

I've also heard that Fives look for what disturbs them in thought systems, while Nines look for a sense of harmony. While I'm not a New Age retro-hippie, I do avoid thinking about things like ulterior motives and political forces too much...

Seems like a 9 to me.

Alright, I'd say for your heart - 3, gut - 9, and head - 5. In order I'm thinking 9 - 3 - 5, with wings: 9w1 > 3w4 > 5w6. This is just my inital guess for now, so don't take it too seriously, but consider if it fits.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Thanks for the response! :D

Actually, this seems like an enneagram three, it's incredibly image focused and the basic fear is how people percieve you.

Well, I thought the distinction was that Threes focus on achieving success, while Sixes focus on avoiding failure. Does that sound right?

Seems like a 9 to me.

Alright, I'd say for your heart - 3, gut - 9, and head - 5. In order I'm thinking 9 - 3 - 5, with wings: 9w1 > 3w4 > 5w6. This is just my inital guess for now, so don't take it too seriously, but consider if it fits.

Profile descriptions could be part of why I'm reluctant to say Nine... They're supposed to be these "don't worry, be happy" types, but thing is, I seldom get relaxed enough to truly enjoy something, always feeling anxious about what will happen when "playtime" is over, as well as guilty for not using my free time to do something to be less of a burden... :(

It's not like I'm bullied or anything (though I was, briefly, in middle school), but I keep thinking I'm one of the "types" my classmates loathe. Journalism university consists, for me, of politically active NTs groaning at SJ professionals, if you get my drift.