User Tag List

First 6789 Last

MBTI
    IsFJ

I dunno about that, too... Twos are usually more sociable and expressive. While I can be both needy and "fluffy", I'm very introverted and spend a lot of time alone - even too much online interaction sometimes drains me. Sometimes.

I hope I'm not coming across as dismissive of your arguments... You know I deeply appreciate your input.

(Also, congrats on your 1,000th post! )

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I dunno about that, too... Twos are usually more sociable and expressive. While I can be both needy and "fluffy", I'm very introverted and spend a lot of time alone - even too much online interaction sometimes drains me. Sometimes.

I hope I'm not coming across as dismissive of your arguments... You know I deeply appreciate your input.
    (Also, congrats on your 1,000th post! )
    my point exactly. a very 2-ish thing to say
    not all 2s are super extrovert ESFJ women who spend all day gossiping and watching Sex and the City. that being said, you could still be a 9 or a 6, but your tritype is fairly clear

MBTI
    IsFJ

Yes, I think by that reasoning I do have a Two in my tritype. I'd say, though, my attempt at modesty/humility has more of a Nine or Six element to it. I'm not the caretaker; I'm just someone who tries to be a good friend.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Yes, I think by that reasoning I do have a Two in my tritype. I'd say, though, my attempt at modesty/humility has more of a Nine or Six element to it. I'm not the caretaker; I'm just someone who tries to be a good friend.
    how old are you? it may just be an age thing. but yes, you do also sound a lot like 9 and also like 6

Another question: is it common for Sixes to mistype as Nines? It seems paradoxical, I know, but I've seen some people being typed as Sixes and Nines by different websites...
    9w1 and phobic 6w7 look a lot like each other. It's actually one of the more common mistypes.

But that's why the enneagram is less about personality traits and much more about core motives, emotional coping strategies and their dynamics, and repetitive themes (the general themes and patterns that are most prevalent throughout your entire life).

It could help to start by settling on a triad (core conflict) and variant (energy focus) before all else, and when it does come to type, it could also help a lot to focus on the core type (coping strategy) before considering wings (behavioral influences).

I find it helps me somewhat to think of the types as abstractions -- specific 'energies' and general archetypes, each center representing one facet of the 'human experience' -- instead of solid 'trait bundles'.

Below are some questions from personality nation that could also help, even if only to think about privately.

3. What would you say to a 5-year-old child if he or she asked you what the purpose of life is?

4. What type of advice would you give that same child on how to survive in this world?

7. What do you really want in your truest self?

8. What have you substituted/settled for compared to what you really want?

9. What are your defense mechanisms?

10. What are some good habits that are needed for living a healthy adult life?

11. What are you like in relaxed and non-threatening situations?

12. What does your heart feel like it needs and wants?

14. What does your head say it needs and wants?

16. What does your body say it needs and wants?

20. What is your predominant fault?

21. Think of a time when you felt at ease and connected to yourself and others. What did you think about yourself, others, and the entire world during this time?

22. Think of a time when you felt anxious and disconnected from yourself and others. What did you think about yourself, others, and the entire world during this time?

23. What is an addiction or urge that seems to drive you as almost as if you’re not in control? Almost like an alien force that drives or pushes you down.

24. What things do you feel you cannot do because they might jeopardize your survival?

25. What do you need in your life to face your fears?

26. What is your own personal mission statement?
    Maybe Directional Theory might also help?

Disclaimer: I'm not the biggest fan of enneagram (though I find I can't stay away from it somehow?) nor am I an expert. Just thought this stuff could be of some use. It wouldn't be a bad thing for you to never choose a type either

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    how old are you? it may just be an age thing. but yes, you do also sound a lot like 9 and also like 6
    I'm 19.

Thanks for the tip, Noon! Yeah, I know the Enneagram is mostly about motivations, but sometimes it's hard to say what you have internalized over the years... I long for both security and peace, to create stability in my life and to form and maintain strong bonds with others without abdicating my "me time".

I'm 19.

Thanks for the tip, Noon! Yeah, I know the Enneagram is mostly about motivations, but sometimes it's hard to say what you have internalized over the years... I long for both security and peace, to create stability in my life and to form and maintain strong bonds with others without abdicating my "me time".
    Oh God, biggest facepalm ever (on my behalf)
    I must have sounded very redundant and condescending then. My apologies if that is the case.

MBTI
    IsFJ

No no no, it's fine! Your feedback was muchly appreciated!

Thing is, going by the triads, I have problems with both anxiety and anger.

My anxiety expresses itself in the form of perceiving any good-natured ribbing at my expense as criticism and feeling like I'm about to be thrown to the lions when I enter the workforce and get a job and a place of my own... I also feel pretty guilty when I procrastinate, so I end up not being able to concentrate enough to, say, read a book and have a good time doing so. Due to having less classes this semester, though, I am able to read manga on weekends - they're a visual medium, so I need to concentrate less and the white noise calms down a bit.

I deny my anger. I don't want to express it when I feel angry - what if I'm getting angry at something completely inconsequential? Also, I want to maintain good relationships with people, so I refrain from criticizing or getting angry at them unless they commit arson or something. I'm usually a bit downcast, like I said before, but people who have known me for a long time say they seldom see me get angry, and my ma says I really suck at getting properly mad, so I just swallow my bitterness. My ESFJ dad, though, thinks I criticize him way too much - however, he may be just playing the victim card like he does sometimes.

Any thoughts, Mr./Ms. Noon?

Any thoughts, Mr./Ms. Noon?
    If I may, with many disclaimers about this being how I choose to view the system

My anxiety expresses itself in the form of perceiving any good-natured ribbing at my expense as criticism and feeling like I'm about to be thrown to the lions when I enter the workforce and get a job and a place of my own... I also feel pretty guilty when I procrastinate, so I end up not being able to concentrate enough to, say, read a book and have a good time doing so. Due to having less classes this semester, though, I am able to read manga on weekends - they're a visual medium, so I need to concentrate less and the white noise calms down a bit.
    Hm, this sounds like common anxiety. But how central is it for you?

All types have much of their own anxiety, but supposedly the head types are the ones who are really driven by it. Although imo it's not really that they worry about a lot of things all day. Like with type 6, a lot of the profiles disproportionately focus on daily 'catastrophizing', paranoia, reliance on authority or pedantic attention to details because they are so "concerned with security". But I think that the type of security 6s are looking for, especially 6w5, is primarily mental.

In my personal opinion, 6s understand the power of thought, judgment and perception, but in doubting their own ability as well as the abilities of others to use it properly (or nobly), they center on the dangerous potentialities that can follow its misuse or abuse. They are aware of the distance between the wide and chaotic outer world of supposed facts and assumptions and the limited (in scope, angle, perspective, not in skill) mental world of the individual by comparison, and react by asking many questions, seeking many angles and interpretations, maintaining ambivalence or rocking to and fro between 'decided' and 'undecided' in order to stay on the edge and in the advantage -- sometimes ironically increasing their doubt. They are internally anxious about the unseen and the unforeseen, and about their ability to see and foresee it. And of course in classic head type style, they fear what can happen in the future if they do not secure themselves in these abilities.

Thing is, a 6 can easily be unaware of this deep-seated anxiety or think of it instead as maintaining mental autonomy and thus power; an expression of the 6 that is very common with 6w5 for example. Though all 6s are known for their conflicted relationship with authority (of all kinds) and their mental anxiety is at the base of it. They are either in favor of it, opposed to it, or commonly in favor of and opposed to it

Hence the phobic and counterphobic phenomenon (which 6s are said to oscillate between depending on environment or other). Phobic 6s, especially with a 7 wing, try sweet and compliant and personable or make themselves appear "smaller" or non-threatening, all like 9w1 in a way, while internally they experience the same 6 dynamic. It's in a way meant to disarm or gain friends to help support them, while a 9w1 likely does it to directly appease their super-ego. However, both of them are concerned with abandonment (loss of union) or harmony in some ways...

I deny my anger. I don't want to express it when I feel angry - what if I'm getting angry at something completely inconsequential? Also, I want to maintain good relationships with people, so I refrain from criticizing or getting angry at them unless they commit arson or something. I'm usually a bit downcast, like I said before, but people who have known me for a long time say they seldom see me get angry, and my ma says I really suck at getting properly mad, so I just swallow my bitterness. My ESFJ dad, though, thinks I criticize him way too much - however, he may be just playing the victim card like he does sometimes.
    Why do you want to maintain good relationships with people? What do you feel or fear will happen within yourself if you fail to deny your anger or as a result of anger in general? How have you always felt about anger, or how have you been taught to view anger?

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post
    Why do you want to maintain good relationships with people? What do you feel or fear will happen within yourself if you fail to deny your anger or as a result of anger in general? How have you always felt about anger, or how have you been taught to view anger?
    Well, in a way, it's a bargain: I become frightened and feel attacked if people are angry at me or tease me, so I feel it's only fair to be as nice as posible towards them. Furthermore, I don't have a good sense of when I'm being unwarranted and demanding too much - to be frank, I've been diagnosed with Aspergerian traits, though I'm not an Aspergerian myself - so I think it's a safer bet to stay a much on the "obsequious" side as possible; my introversion is a bit of a hindrance when it comes to maintaining relationships, so I try to compensate by being nice.

Also, I want to be seen as a "nice guy", and I figure the best way to do so is to be a nice guy, to put effort into the substance instead of the style. I also feel uncertain whether or not I'd be able to stay by the side of people I care about in really dire situations, so I try to compensate by bringing a little happiness into their lives; I'd rather heal those who were wounded by the world than engage in direct battle with said world.

Plus, being a bit oversensitive myself, I'd feel a bit hypocritical if I wasn't oversensitive about hurting people's feelings.