User Tag List

First 123

Thread: ENXP???

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Temperament. I'm still not sure which side of the fence I'm on, and it doesn't really matter to me.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Temperament. I'm still not sure which side of the fence I'm on, and it doesn't really matter to me.
    You sure you're not still an INTJ?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

You think I'm an INTJ?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Temperament. .
    Ok I got a dumb question, since Im new to this MBTI and all. What is temperament? How is it different from MBTI?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

NF/NT/SP/SJ

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Ok I got a dumb question, since Im new to this MBTI and all. What is temperament? How is it different from MBTI?
    It comes from a psychologist named Keirsey who made a bunch of observations after using the MBTI for many years and reworked it.

His book, Please Understand Me II, is the first one I ever read with regards to personality systems, so I'm a bit biased and show some favoritism to it.

Anyway, there are major things different about Keirsey's approach:

- He throws all this nonsense about Fi, Te, Ne, dominant, teritiary functions, etc. out the window. He boils it down to just E/I - N/S - T/F - P/J.

- He develops a model that includes observable behavioral tendancies: e.g. whether one uses abstract or concrete communication, whether it's directive or informative, etc. This is a huge advantage in my opinion, because it isn't about some obscure "psychological dynamics" (like whether we use Ti or Te more) that we can't even prove exist, and is about something you can observe directly.

- He identifies major motivations and so on that he sees in the types. This, again, has an advantage because he comes up with information that treats the types holistically, and, say, approaches an ENFP as being more than just the sum of E + N + F + P.

He sees the biggest differences in NFs, NTs, SPs, and SJs in terms of these skills sets, motivations, intelligences, etc. So those are the four temperaments, and the individual types (e.g. ENFP) is just a specialization of their temperament (in this case, NF).

I enjoy his approach, honestly. I'd consider myself more in his camp than the classical MBTI camp. I think in terms of temperaments more than not, although IMO there's value in both approaches.

Personality Test - Keirsey Temperament Website
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    It comes from a psychologist named Keirsey who made a bunch of observations after using the MBTI for many years and reworked it.

His book, Please Understand Me II, is the first one I ever read with regards to personality systems, so I'm a bit biased and show some favoritism to it.

Anyway, there are major things different about Keirsey's approach:

- He throws all this nonsense about Fi, Te, Ne, dominant, teritiary functions, etc. out the window. He boils it down to just E/I - N/S - T/F - P/J.

- He develops a model that includes observable behavioral tendancies: e.g. whether one uses abstract or concrete communication, whether it's directive or informative, etc. This is a huge advantage in my opinion, because it isn't about some obscure "psychological dynamics" (like whether we use Ti or Te more) that we can't even prove exist, and is about something you can observe directly.

- He identifies major motivations and so on that he sees in the types. This, again, has an advantage because he comes up with information that treats the types holistically, and, say, approaches an ENFP as being more than just the sum of E + N + F + P.

He sees the biggest differences in NFs, NTs, SPs, and SJs in terms of these skills sets, motivations, intelligences, etc. So those are the four temperaments, and the individual types (e.g. ENFP) is just a specialization of their temperament (in this case, NF).

I enjoy his approach, honestly. I'd consider myself more in his camp than the classical MBTI camp. I think in terms of temperaments more than not, although IMO there's value in both approaches.

Personality Test - Keirsey Temperament Website
    Thanks NEMO. Now i get it.