• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISTJ or INFJ? Could I have changed?

jnick1972

For a long time I was positive that I was an INFJ, because I fit the type description so closely. A friend, not a pro, gave me the test out of a book, which I know isn't necessarily going to give the most accurate answer, but at the time I knew nothing about MBTI and was taking the test "just because." (I did, however, take it seriously and answer honestly). Afterward, I read many descriptions about INFJ's and was sure that was me. Several months ago, I tested as ISTJ. I have read many descriptions of ISTJ's and I seem to fit that type also. Both types seem to be an equally close fit to my personality. I don't match any of the other types, and the only things in question are the S/N and T/F. I'm most definitely and I and J.

I'm wondering if MBTI type can change in a person. If it can, perhaps that's the explanation. I saw some things in myself that I didn't like, things that were causing distress to me personally, and I willfully made some changes. That may make it seem as though I'm an INFJ by nature, but I have forced myself to behave as an ISTJ, and that's a possibility I've entertained. But I'm not so sure that's what happened. It may be that I behaved as an INFJ but finally gave myself permission to be my true self--an ISTJ.

How can I figure out my true type when I'm so close to both?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
So back in the day, so to speak you merely read a description for INFJ out of a book and decided that was a match? Just trying to get your story right.

I would say if you recently tested as an ISTJ, you are more than likely an ISTJ. It is possible that some of your letters aren't as dominant, meaning you could be borderline N and borderline F. It's possible. You should try to take another test. Some/most of the tests online should tell you by percentage how strong each trait is and that should give you an idea if your middle two letters are truly borderline.

Last time I tested I was borderline S/N. My S is a little more dominant though, so I go with that.

redacted

you gotta learn the functions. that's really the only way to figure out your type.

jnick1972

I took the test from the book and the results showed me as INFJ. It was after that that I read the descriptions and figured that the test results were accurate (with zero training I felt comfortable making that assessment--yessh!). I didn't explore any other possible types at that time.

I took another test this morning and the results once again showed ISTJ, and I do believe that I'm close to borderline between S and N and T and F. I'm inclined to go with ISTJ, since that's what the results show.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
What do you want to be? :devil:

Us ISTJs aren't that bad, despite what you've heard. Welcome aboard. lol

For real though, try to find a good description of each trait and then analyze yourself and see what fits you best, focusing on the middle two letters since it seems that's where your confusion is.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Maybe you don't have a "true type." Don't worry so much about trying to fit into a crude classification system. If I asked you if you were democrat or republican, and you had some views that fit both descriptions and some that probably (hopefully) fit neither, would you worry about who you are, or worry about the strength of the classification system instead?

jnick1972

What do you want to be

Hmm, tough choice. If I could, I'd probably want to be an ENFP. The ones I know seem like they're having fun all the time. :) Not that I could be an ENFP, even if my life depended on it...

I am indeed trying to learn the functions, but that'll take some time.

Maybe you don't have a "true type." Don't worry so much about trying to fit into a crude classification system. If I asked you if you were democrat or republican, and you had some views that fit both descriptions and some that probably (hopefully) fit neither, would you worry about who you are, or worry about the strength of the classification system instead?

If you asked my political party, I would probably attempt to go into a detailed explanation about that, because I wouldn't want anyone to think that I agree with all the views of that particular party. Anything that isn't precise, including definitions, bothers me. I'm working on that.

I do get your point, though. :)

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
ISTJs and INFJs are not very similar at all in my opinion. It should be easy to tell which one you have a stronger preference for by looking at the functions:

ISTJ - Si, Te, Fi, Ne
INFJ - Ni, Fe, Ti, Se

They don't have a single function in common. Should be easy. Don't over think it. Sometimes it is easier to look at the negative aspects of both to see which one fits you better.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
o_O INFJ is literally the most different type you can get from ISTJ.

Please look at function usage...

INFJ -> NiFe TiSe NeFi TeSi
ISTJ -> SiTe FiNe SeTi FeNi

They're literally everything including shadows backwards!

Ask yourself... what do you have more Ni or Si... then Fe vs Te as sassa suggested. Have fun!

jnick1972

Thanks for all your help. The suggestion to look at the negative aspects of the functions was very helpful, and that's what I did when I checked those links describing the specific functions. I readily identified with the Introverted Sensation and Extroverted Thinking.

I know it seems odd (or absurd) to anyone with a reasonable knowledge of the differing functions that I could possibly be confused as to which I most closely match. I'll spare you the details, but I am now just getting to the point in my life where I realize that's is safe to behave (and yes--even think) in a manner that is natural to me, rather than what has been forced on me and what I have chosen to do in the interest of self-preservation. I've only recently begun the process of sorting out "who I am" from "what I had to pretend to be". That's what led me here.

I'm grateful for all your respectful replies and the considerable knowledge you've freely shared. :)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you are on the fence between INFJ and ISTJ, perhaps you are an ISFJ.

ISTJ = Si Te Fi Ne
ISFJ = Si Fe Ti Ne
INFJ = Ni Fe Ti Se

There isn't much crossover between INFJ and ISTJ. They are rather distinct.

soloscura

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Now that you mention it, I have a similar problem at the moment. I recently took an online test to see what personality type I am. The first time I took it I got ISTJ. The second time, I got INFJ, and I got INFJ the third time I took it as well. Out of six times taking the same test, I got INFJ twice, and ISTJ the other four times.

The reason why I kept getting different results was because they shuffled the questions and the possible responses around each time, so it became harder to memorise what response to give.

But the fact that I kept getting different personality types each time was confusing me slightly. Below is what I turned up with after the sixth resit of the same test.

Personality Profile of Billy (Personality Type, Multiple Intelligences)

Personally, I think that I'm a sort of mix between ISTJ and INFJ. But perhaps if I had to choose one of them, I've decided that my S and T traits are perhaps slightly more dominant than my N and F traits.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Now that you mention it, I have a similar problem at the moment. I recently took an online test to see what personality type I am. The first time I took it I got ISTJ. The second time, I got INFJ, and I got INFJ the third time I took it as well. Out of six times taking the same test, I got INFJ twice, and ISTJ the other four times.

The reason why I kept getting different results was because they shuffled the questions and the possible responses around each time, so it became harder to memorise what response to give.

But the fact that I kept getting different personality types each time was confusing me slightly. Below is what I turned up with after the sixth resit of the same test.

Personality Profile of Billy (Personality Type, Multiple Intelligences)

Personally, I think that I'm a sort of mix between ISTJ and INFJ. But perhaps if I had to choose one of them, I've decided that my S and T traits are perhaps slightly more dominant than my N and F traits.
It's funny because your process sounds like something I might say. :doh:

But to you and to the OP (if he's still around), Toonia makes a good suggestion. Think you might be an ISFJ?