Right then, I literally can't spend any more time trying to figure this out myself as it is becoming obsessive, but also I cannot let it go without coming to a satisfactory conclusion, so after EXTENSIVE personal research, I throw this out to you guys to see if some outside perspective can close this box for me!
Right so the first time I asked these type of questions to others, the response I got was INTJ or ENTJ, I related to some of both aspects of those profiles, but as I got deeper and did more tests, including cognitive functions tests and just cross referencing across several mbti tests (probably half the problem) the results go anywhere from INTJ / INTP / ENTJ / ISTJ, and that bothers me...If I have deemed something relevant i.e understanding my type, but as mentioned I am almost obsessive in pursuit of understanding and coming to a conclusion that I am confident with, first clue anyone...
The following are the traits / views I have that influence most of my life and thinking...
- Very serious 90% of the time, however moments of comical behaviour pop up now and then if I am not focused on a task / in the company of those I like.
- Known by some as a bit of a Jackyl and Hyde type person, this is because if i'm feeling good, or not particularly focused on a task I can be willing to have a chat / look upbeat, however if the same person asks me something whilst I am concentrating on something else I feel is important to me, I am very short / sometimes a little aggressive in my response as I hate breaking my concentration.
- Like to be known for being sensible / cool headed / reasonable, for example many people in my age range would enjoy going out, getting wasted and generally fooling around in public but although I enjoy going out I would never do this, me and the people I associate with are more interested in looking good and respectable when we are out and about.
- Find it VERY difficult to support things that I see no tangible benefit from, for example at work if someone comes up with a new way of doing something I will generally lean towards quickly dismissing it unless they can show me a direct application, and more importantly what are the benefits over the existing system.
- Like being involved in or thinking about things at a high level, I scan information rather than read all of it to get from it what I want, I would rather have a meeting at work about the long term strategy and goals but then delegate the actual day to day details of realising those goals to others, but keeping a watchful eye to make sure all is on course.
- Have no problem dedicated HOURS and hours to researching something of interest, but I can almost guarantee that whatever I am researching has some sort of goal in mind, I don't just learn about things for sake of learning, I will go and research this type theory for hours as I see it as a tool for using towards career goals, or someone says something I don't think sounds correct, i'll go and get the answer.
- Traditional views, I read websites like "The Art of Manliness" as I believe it is important for men to be men and women to be women, but also men to let women be women and vice versa, this doesn't mean I think all women should stay in the kitchen or anything but overall my views here are traditional.
- Believe very strongly in loyalty and honouring your word, if people tell me they will be somewhere and then cancel last minute it really pisses me off
- Find it very easy to memorise songs, sometimes a song in my head will keep playing after hearing it and it is very annoying!
- Not a great sense of direction in real life, however at work I use google maps to pinpoint job locations and I can build a pretty accurate "mental image" of where people are, travel times to each job based on previous experience and also find it easy to memorise which area codes relate to which areas etc, a knack for memorising facts I guess.
- Find it hard to focus on everyday details when something is on my mind, for example getting a satisfactory understanding of my type over rules checking my cars engine oil, however this is not a total situation, I would never miss paying a bill or something like that over this.
- Find it VERY hard to deal with small talk from those I do not like or respect, I find attempts to initiate this with me very annoying, my reasoning here is that i'm very straightforward with people as a rule, if I don't like someone I just won't engage them as I try to treat people as I want to be treated and that does not include being two faced, why would I ask someone I don't like about their weekend when I honestly do not care, the flip side is I am comfortable with small talk from trusted friends / partner.
- Like being a bit different but not in abstract ways, what do I mean? well for example I drive an American car, in the UK...I bought it because I like my car to stand out and for people to wonder what it is, I also like people associating me with that, however I have little to no patience for creative self expression like say, too many tattoos / punks / emos etc... while I would never abuse or persecute such people I feel that it is a error in judgement to go so far away from social norms, I think things like "how will you get a job or expect people to respect you looking like that?"
- I will not subscribe to social norms I deem unnecessary or have no real use, for example you won't catch me doing some "normal" things, like reading a tabloid, watching reality TV or endlessly updating my facebook, I find all of this a huge waste of time so won't do it.
- Have zero issues expressing affection towards my significant other and deem it necessary and enjoyable, however i am in control of my emotions and in the event of a breakup I have no issue moving on afterwards, regardless of the intensity of the feelings I had in the relationship, this comes down to me seeing it as illogical to break up with someone then chase them or moan about it, and also because I would find that behaviour a sign of weakness, and I do not like to look weak, physically or mentally.
- In discussions I find it difficult not to challenge people with wildly different views from mine, I like to put them to the test and am not comfortable just letting them keep their view, I do generally try and convince them to change to my point of view, until I realise this isn't going to happen, then I get bored and move on, but probably still unsatisfied that I haven't achieved that.
- I value justice / power and respect, my thoughts 90% of the time are on figuring myself out so I can apply myself in a career, to get more control over my life, I generally dislike working for anyone else as I don't like others being able to pull my strings, however I wouldn't have an issue working for someone if there was significant reward coming my way, and either authority or a clear path to authority / financial gain.
- Clear sense of right and wrong and a want for justice but my brand of justice, for example I would get pleasure from reading about a child molester being abused / killed in jail, and would be pretty disgusted reading about the same type of person getting off lightly, I feel a need to protect the innocent but not necessarily the weak, for example a colleague I feel is weak and generally doesn't help themselves could be getting bullied, I don't care so much, however if I saw a group of guys disrespecting a lone female, I would be inclined to smack them all upside the head.
- Generally will eat the same type of food / go to the same restaurants because I enjoy repeating the good sensations I get from going there / eating those foods, If I enjoy something I am VERY good at persuading people to try it and will explain it with great detail and enthusiasm, however if I went to a restaurant with my partner and she tried something new, I might decide to venture into the unknown also for sake of matching that behaviour.
- Hate being incompetent - I get annoyed at myself for not achieving at an above average standard, for example when I started my self defence class I wanted to be seen as one with "high potential" I like being able to demonstrate this and get frustrated when weak areas are observed, although this frustration is generally well contained within myself, this aspect of myself I believe is responsible for most under achievement in my life, not starting something for fear of incompetency so keep researching instead of DOING.
- Will not read fiction as I can't apply that knowledge anywhere and therefore see it as a waste of time, would much prefer to read an encyclopaedia or real life account of events.
- Love movies that are focused on war / politics / apocalyptic or thriller, I normally respect characters that display a high level of skill, like Jason Bourne or Mark Wahlberg in "Shooter" etc.... also they are normally realistic movies, intense sci fi, superhero type movies generally don't interest me.
Apologies for the long post, some of these things conflict I know hence why i'm here, for example I seem to use a lot of Si in terms of food / music / remembering facts and I test high to very high on cognitive function tests for Si, however I also dislike small details, am constantly think about the future (usually my own life like career etc...) and big picture which goes against some of the normal STJ profiles I read, this is where the confusion comes in.
Maybe i'm looking at this the wrong way, i'm thinking people with good knowledge of this might be able to ask me some questions I could answer that give my function preferences away, if so...feel free!