• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENFP or ENTP?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
One of the major differences between me and an ENFP friend of mine (though we are quite similar) is that she's really perceptive about people and what makes them tick and puts a lot of energy into being a part of that and figuring those things out. Me, I can see the system, acknowledge it, but ultimately I find it pretty boring. I'm more interested in the framework of how a company works not the dynamic of the interactions of the people working within it. That sort of thing.

Also, yeah, read up on functions and stuff. I've heard ENFPs say (and Marmie Dearest just reiterated it) they don't understand how logic can be determined internally (Ti) and I don't really understand the merit of values being determined internally (Fi). ENFPs utilize Fi and Te (no Ti) and ENTPs utilize Ti and Fe (no Fi).

And if it helps, I find that ENFPs are more sensitive than ENTPs.

Yes.

If someone trods on their values, they can be surprisingly cold and analytical (usually with holes in their logic where they try to insert their ideals as truths). It's like ENFPs are either "warm and cuddly" or "cold as ice", while I'm usually neither here nor there - simultaneously "warm and charming" and "cold, detached and impersonal."

I think this is true of both TPs and FJs...simultaneously warm and detached and impersonal.

FPs and TJs are more one or the other, I think, in spades. It's that whole subjective subjectivity vs. objective objectivity inside.

Also, ENFPs can act like immature ExTJs if you cross them, if they have strong Te development. And when I say "immature" I just mean the tertiary temptation is never gonna be as strong or natural as it is to someone who has it with dom or aux.

That's why ENFPs can be so mean and heartless, but then start crying afterward.

Someone said once that ENFPs are crueler than ENTPs when we're mad, and that may be the emulation of TJ in us, but I tend to think of ENTP cruelty as a more low-grade, sneaky, constant thing, like scraping a dull butter knife...where as the ENFP will outright cut you.

ENFPs are good at analysing their feelings, so I can see how that could appear "Thinkery" but in the end it's just an attempt to logically justify something inherently subjective. I'm good at appearing to be really into someone and connecting with them (and I can understand how that would appear "Feely") but in the end it's mostly just a ruse/appearance. I very rarely feel deeply connected with people and that doesn't bother me one bit. :laugh:

Yes. I can put up such a ruse that some people have said I seem ISTJ, INTJ, or ENTP. o_O

Those are people who don't know me very well at all, though. Anyone who really knows me - or spends any amount of time observing me - sees how emo I actually am.

It's a show. Though my own mother fell for it at one point. She really was convinced at one point, after I had lived out West for seven years away from her, that I had grown up to be a cold heartless bitch. My sister had to convince her otherwise.

Also, my ENFP friend tends to expend a great deal of effort finding the right word for how she feels, while I spend a great deal of effort finding the right words for my ideas. Both Fi and Ti are built on the concept of a holistic "framework" so trying to find the right words is congruent with trying to find just the right place for something in that framework.

Anyway, I'm not going to pretend to know you enough to pass judgment on which preferences you have, but hopefully something in what I wrote will help you determine that for yourself. :)

Overall good post.

Izix

MBTI Type
ENxP
Enneagram
7w6
When it comes to Jungian cognitive theory, is orientation the same as skill, or is it possible to be incompetent in your functions?

ENFP could well be it, but... Ne and Te I think are things that I'm oriented to, and I think Ti is an area of skill though it bores me after a while. Fi doesn't tend to bore me, but I don't think I'm any good at it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
When it comes to Jungian cognitive theory, is orientation the same as skill, or is it possible to be incompetent in your functions?

ENFP could well be it, but... Ne and Te I think are things that I'm oriented to, and I think Ti is an area of skill though it bores me after a while. Fi doesn't tend to bore me, but I don't think I'm any good at it.

Hmmm well they aren't exactly skills....they're world views or mind-sets. Ways of perceiving and judging. You either judge this way or that. You either see things this way or that.

Some ENFPs are terrible at Te, and float on so much Ne/Fi that they can seem "airheaded" or even excessively passive...it's sweet, it's cute, it's fluffy...it's an open invitation to get stomped on by the world.

Other ENFPs have so much Ne/Te with very little Fi that they can seem almost ...er, not sociopathic but...just not very connected with their ethics much at all...not enough reflection, much too much outer orientation, making them seem ...well...kind of dangerous in some cases, or just bossy and ExTJ-like in less extreme cases.

You can value Ne/Te without much Fi, but it will leave you unbalanced. You might have more Fi than you realize, I don't know, I don't know you.

Ti is cool but it can bore me or get on my nerves. Ti is not a "skill" it's a world view. It can not co-exist with Fi.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ya it's possible to be incompetent

Izix

MBTI Type
ENxP
Enneagram
7w6
Hmm. Unsurprisingly, the expected answers do not help me figure it out. :(

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
And I put so much effort in mine...

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
Man, I can't even figure this question for myself.

But I'm female and tend to feel more, so I settled with F.

F also stands for Fuck, which is my favorite word.

F also stands for Food, which I love to eat.

F also stands for FART, which I love to do. Not really.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
very good post by the entp chick(?) there...totally agree.

Haha...wait...is this me? Thanks! :cheese:

You sound ENFP to me. Ethical usefulness makes sense to me, too. Ethical correctness seems Fe to me, which would lean toward ENTP.

I agree with is, but I suppose it depends on whether it's usefulness towards the self or towards the group. I often think about which ethic would be the most useful to mirror in a group of people for whatever result I might be interested in witnessing. It's a bit like a game.

But I suppose the "usefulness" part is more Ti and seeing the ethically correct route to take would be Fe.

Hmmm...perhaps you are ENFP? Te and Fi are both functions that I don't identify with at all (not that that means much). But don't sweat it too much. MBTI and Jungian functions are more pop psychology than they are scientific fact. Yeah, ENTP preferences describe me remarkably well (and other types describe other people well, too) but it has yet to be proven as an overarching measurement of personality.

It kind of has the quantum mechanics thing (with less accuracy and scientific provability). The rules that work on a subatomic level don't work on a macroscopic level. Actually, this is an awfully incorrect analogy. But maybe you get what I'm saying?

Man, I can't even figure this question for myself.

But I'm female and tend to feel more, so I settled with F.

Hahaha...well, being a "Feeler" doesn't necessarily mean you feel more. And being a female Thinker is different from being a male Thinker (I gots them lady sensibilities and all too...and I'm not immune to PMS mood swings). I just can't throw my feelings as far as I can trust them. :laugh:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think a lot of the proposed questions are misleading
1) do you make decisions based off of feelings or rationality?
most ENFPs are going to say rationality.
2) do you like people systems more or impersonal systems?
most ENFPs don't like systems at all and many ENFPs don't really like people

better questions
1) do you make decisions more based off of values and convictions or impersonal systems and objective criteria?
2) are you more warm and fantasy prone or technical and systems oriented?
3) do you feel you have a special connection with children and small animals?
4) are you drawn to the sciences, experimentation and trying to measure things?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I think a lot of the proposed questions are misleading
1) do you make decisions based off of feelings or rationality?
most ENFPs are going to say rationality.
2) do you like people systems more or impersonal systems?
most ENFPs don't like systems at all and many ENFPs don't really like people

better questions
1) do you make decisions more based off of values and convictions or impersonal systems and objective criteria?
2) are you more warm and fantasy prone or technical and systems oriented?
3) do you feel you have a special connection with children and small animals?
4) are you drawn to the sciences, experimentation and trying to measure things?

Your #1 has the same problem as the one you mentioned before. Also, plenty of NTs of all stripes are fantasy prone - it's just that as they get older, their fantasy life becomes a bit more grounded in reality. You're probably not going to express a "special connection with children" if you're male, for obvious reasons. Finally, Ti often hates formal experimentation, because it's often taught with entirely too much paperwork required (I would have loved chemistry if it weren't for fucking lab reports).

It's a good start, but you're going to have to get a little more vague and sideways with the questions.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I dunno, but chaotic neutral sort of seems more ENFP to me (ok... combine that with skimming the rest of the thread :laugh:)

if you don't mind my asking, how old are you? :huh:

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Your #1 has the same problem as the one you mentioned before. Also, plenty of NTs of all stripes are fantasy prone - it's just that as they get older, their fantasy life becomes a bit more grounded in reality. You're probably not going to express a "special connection with children" if you're male, for obvious reasons. Finally, Ti often hates formal experimentation, because it's often taught with entirely too much paperwork required (I would have loved chemistry if it weren't for fucking lab reports).

It's a good start, but you're going to have to get a little more vague and sideways with the questions.

GOOD GOD I HATE LAB REPORTS! >:|

And yeah, I agree. I don't see how those questions are any less misleading.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i love chemistry and hate lab reports too actually :shrug: i can't really imagine a Ne dom who actually likes lab reports. actually i don't really know anyone who likes lab reports. i mean, i'm glad they exist, they're important, but they're a pain.

generalized differences between Fi aux (ENFP) and Fe tert (ENTP):

edit: aw, fuck, table code doesn't work. FINE

Fe (tertiary)
  • from the outside: warm and charming, or cold and distant.
  • with others: adept in groups. good at making people feel welcome (or unwelcome.)
  • general focus: interpersonal, social currents, harmony between people.
  • as tert: may feel like it can be "turned on/off" as needed.
  • common bad habit (as tert): testing others to see how they will react.

Fi (auxiliary)
  • from the outside: warm and inviting, or cold and condemning.
  • with others: best 1-on-1. good at making others feel comfortable (or exposed.)
  • general focus: intrapersonal, authenticity, individuals' harmony with their selves.
  • as aux: almost permanently in "on" position and feels almost universally applicable.
  • common bad habit (as aux): confronting others when hurt.

Izix

MBTI Type
ENxP
Enneagram
7w6
I dunno, but chaotic neutral sort of seems more ENFP to me (ok... combine that with skimming the rest of the thread :laugh:)

:laugh: what would you expect an ENTP to be, out of curiosity?

if you don't mind my asking, how old are you? :huh:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

agreed except for the bold. it is certainly probable for an FP male to have a strong connection with children. I mean, we're not like animals who just have sex and move on to someone else. some of us love children and make sure to spend plenty of time with the kids. I'm tempted to say your comment is sexist, but I won't :)

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
agreed except for the bold. it is certainly probable for an FP male to have a strong connection with children. I mean, we're not like animals who just have sex and move on to someone else. some of us love children and make sure to spend plenty of time with the kids. I'm tempted to say your comment is sexist, but I won't :)

You may have that connection, but it's likely that many have repressed it, for fear of being thought of as effeminate at best, a pedophile at worst.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You may have that connection, but it's likely that many have repressed it, for fear of being thought of as effeminate at best, a pedophile at worst.

you make a good point. society does tend to equate being good with children as either overly effeminate or worse a pedophile. it's a rather double standard as they otherwise consider us overly macho or unrefined.