User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESFx
    Enneagram
    7w6

Default Do tests favor N over S?

I have taken 3 tests today and ended up with ENFP every time, with the N being astounding. However, I know I am not N. The N description does not fit me. While I may think in abstracts and favor art/poetry/writing/etc., I am not one to "catch underlying meanings or ironies." I am way too scatter-brained for that and have always been fascinated with facts in history and wanting to be informed on topics, etc. I do like to look at the big picture however my mind does tends to focus more on visual stimuli and other obvious and observant aspects. I think I am ESFx (being on the J/P borderline). But why do I keep getting N?

(A friend who is obsessed with these personality tests says I am an ESFJ to a T. I see a little more P in there than he does, but that doesn't really matter.)
    A few words of wisdom:

I love and treasure individuals as I meet them, I loathe and despise the groups they identify with and belong to.
    - George Carlin

Accept what people offer. Drink their milkshakes. Take their love.
    - Wally Lamb

In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.- Buddha

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

I think the way a lot of tests are designed, Sensors may type as Intuitives, but seldom the reverse. I'd cautiously guess from what you've written here that you might be a Ne-tert, which fits with ESFJ.

Poorly written tests are certainly part of the reason so many Sensors identify as N.
    i just want to be a sweetheart

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

You keep getting N because, if you answered in an "S" way on the tests, they'd have you believe that you cannot comprehend the abstract, that you are unimaginative, that you do not think about the future...basically a lot of things that all people with normal cognition do on a regular basis. They're basically asking if you're retarded. If yes, then S. If no, then N.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    They're basically asking if you're retarded. If yes, then S. If no, then N.
    yep....
    -end of thread-

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

^ See, I don't know.

My thought is that the 'S' questions seem to lean more towards Si than Se, so I think it's fairly common for SP's to test as N's.

The other thing is that the tests assume very black and white distinctions between type: either/or. Those who aren't extreme in their preferences are going to have a harder time answering the questions.

I always like to pose my ISTJ mother as an example, as she's never tested anything other than ISTJ, and she's profoundly un-abstract. I'm not intending this as a knock against her, it's just a fact. She's simply not that way, at all. Like, she really doesn't get most of that, nor does she even value abstract thought / abstract people, really. I think she find them kind of silly, in a way. So, I'm of course not saying that S's aren't capable of abstraction - because that's obviously untrue. BUT, I do think extreme S's (for lack of a better word) can demonstrate this - most especially, the lack of valuing of those sorts of conversations/focus; and, in the end, I think the Type Descriptions do tend to describe more the extreme, archetypal version of each of the types.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ENTP

The MBTI also has cooler descriptions and labels for Ns.

For instance INTJ is "the mastermind" and ISTJ is "the duty fulfiller"
    ENTP is the inventor, and ESTP the promoter.
    ENTJ is the field marhall and ESTJ is the "administrator"
    ISTP is the mechanic, while INTP is the architect.

This bothers me because it isn't accurate.

How can you expect accurate results if the interpretation of the results isn't accurate, when the N side is WAY FAVORED.

^ Actually, I wanted to be an ISFP because they are the "artist" (what is INFP, the dreamer?). The S's win on that one.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    The MBTI also has cooler descriptions and labels for Ns.

For instance INTJ is "the mastermind" and ISTJ is "the duty fulfiller"
    Pfft. Fuck labels like "the Mastermind". Thats pretentious as fuck and I would never want to be labelled as such. Nothing wrong with Duty Fullfiller.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    ^ Actually, I wanted to be an ISFP because they are the "artist" (what is INFP, the dreamer?). The S's win on that one.
    I liked composer producer for isfp. Artist tops dreamer though.

garbage

I had a bout where I tested S because I dared mark anything abut practicality

I think you guys do tend to get shafted on these tests, though