• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTJ or INTP?

darkmoon

MBTI Type
INTJ
Both ENTJ and INTP have their functions in the same order (T N S F), ENTJ being Te Ni Se Fi and INTP Ti Ne Si Fe.

Reading this page though
The Eight Cognitive Processes Described

I took note of which functions seem to fit my personality best and got
Te Ni Si Fe. :huh: What does that mean? I can relate to both descriptions.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Both ENTJ and INTP have their functions in the same order (T N S F), ENTJ being Te Ni Se Fi and INTP Ti Ne Si Fe.

Reading this page though

ENTJs and INTPs are very different from each other. As you get more experience telling the subtle differences, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Have you ever taken a Myers-Briggs quiz?

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Reading this page though

Of course you should probably read a few good descriptions/take a few tests in order to verify, but if you prefer Te and Ni the most (in that order), that would probably point to ENTJ. I'm fairly sure that type is mostly indicated by the 2 first cognitive functions- and that there's not necessarily a precise ordering for the remaining 6. I, personally, haven't heard a particularly convincing argument as to how the remaining functions are ordered.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
If you are locked onto those two and determine your type in simple dichotomies (E/I, S/N…), then I would suggest doing away with test and focus on your interaction style. INTPs belong to the “Behind the Scenes” group which has a theme of:
The theme is getting the best result possible. People of this style focus on understanding and working with the process to create a positive outcome. They see value in many contributions and consult outside inputs to make an informed decision. They aim to integrate various information sources and accommodate differing points of view. They approach others with a quiet, calm style that may not show their strong convictions. Producing, sustaining, defining, and clarifying are all ways they support a group's process. They typically have more patience than most with the time it takes to gain support through consensus for a project or to refine the result.
and ENTJ resonates with the “In Charge” group which:
The theme is getting things accomplished through people. People of this style are focused on results, often taking action quickly. They often have a driving energy with an intention to lead a group to the goal. They make decisions quickly to keep themselves and others on task, on target, and on time. They hate wasting time and having to back track. Mentoring, executing actions, supervising, and mobilizing resources are all ways they get things accomplished. They notice right away what is not working in a situation and become painfully aware of what needs to be fixed, healed, or corrected.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP

Reading this page though

Last term I had an INTP chemistry teacher. I remember that my ENTJ friend in that class was a kind of good student who insisted on sitting in the front row, even though most of the class was just a struggle for her to not fall asleep. Then after the class she would vioce her frustration: to her, the teacher was obsessed with wierd models of quantum theory, and was continually overcomplicating what should've been obvious and simple. this person usually strikes me as extremely intelligent. yet it was amazing how much she was struggling with this class.
-INTPs talk very noticably slower than ENTJS.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Thanks for these. I got ENTJ but only just. The E and the J are only just over the 50% mark by a really small margin. So does that make me eNTj? What happens if you are in the middle?
It means that you are probably most comfortably ENTJ, but you have some flexibility with 2 of your dimensions. As long as the lack of extreme definition doesn't handicap you, I would think you should enjoy your diversity. It means you're a well-rounded individual.

How old are you?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
This is a toughie as ENTJs and INTPs both form part of the others progression. The main differences I've noted between one and the other is that INTPs are much more self centred, mean't in a non accusatory way. It would seem that an INTP must come to decisions via their own route and process everything internally. This can make them quite self referential and that's a difficult habit to break. ENTJs, on the other hand, whilst they do have their own way of doing things (the "right" way apparently) it is much easier to influence their methods when confronted with someone with superior knowledge.

The whole E versus I should give you some clues such as an ENTJ will be more comfortable with people and should be able to execute their ideas within the format of a group where as an INTP will probably only voice how they see the concept and then drag their feet more when it comes to progressing towards the goals. ENTJs also tend to be much more direct with the INTP giving way to over-thinking and pausing where the ENTJ forges ahead with the masterplan.

I've found that with Js there is a noticable difference to Ps too, aside from the whole organised versus laissez faire approach. Js, it would seem, have more stringent rules for the exterior world where as Ps are more concerned with the interior world. An INTP may seem similar to an ENTJ but an INTPs person and personal world will be logical even when their exterior behaviour and practice may not be. ENTJs are quite the reverse of that and may well have illogical reasons for many of their "logical" actions (this of course is dependant upon how you view logic).

In terms of irritation ENTJs tend to become irritated when people act in a disorganised and illogical manner, such behaviour confuses INTPs but is less likely to affect them in such a way unless it intrudes upon their freedoms.

That's another point. An ENTJ are less likely to baulk at being organised (as long as it is done competently) where as an INTP would prefer to be unplanned all of the time.

Hopefully some of that helps.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
That changes things. Bad time to ask IMO.

Look at those things which you enjoy, that may offer some insight.

The reason I say it's a bad time to ask is that my father (okay he's still your senior by quite a few years) is getting more INTP-like in his dotage and I'm ending up adopting his ENTJ strategies in an effort to blend in only to find he's adopting mine!!

Oh and one ENTJ quote which may help you decide..
"Helping is doing what you are asked"
Very ENTJ :D

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I suspected you were older.
That's another cause of your lack of extreme differentiation. At your age, you should be less differentiated, and more diverse in your abilities. If you were still extremely defined, there might be something wrong with you. Whenever I test someone over the age of 25, I always have them answer the test questions according to the way they were when they were young - say between the ages of 10 & 20 because by the age of 25, we begin to develop our auxiliary function, and by the age of 40 begin to develop our tertiary function. Once we develop those further, that muddies the water as far as testing goes. No one "changes" their type, they only further develop it, so ultimately, it is helpful to understand how you were as a kid.

Based on that, and on Xander's excellent insight, I would say you are an ENTJ who is doing very well at developing the auxiliary and tertiary dimensions of your type. ENTJ is "who you are" or at least who you started out to be, but now you have branched out, mellowed out, matured, and become more diverse in your skills and thinking. Consequently, you are less and less likely to find profiles that describe you now as accurately as they would have when you were younger.

Even so, here's a couple of sources I highly respect:
http://www.iusb.edu/~sbcareer/entj.pdf
ENTJ Personality Types

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Not to argue the toss and such (I'm probably flying against my own better judgement here) but this whole search for a precise definition... it's very... well... INTP. Juss sayin.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Not to argue the toss and such (I'm probably flying against my own better judgement here) but this whole search for a precise definition... it's very... well... INTP. Juss sayin.
tee-hee
That's funny.

I didn't really see it as a search for a precise definition.
He LEADS ENTJ functions and FOLLOWS with INTP functions.
I thought that's what you said your father is doing.
I thought your father is an ENTJ. Isn't he?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
tee-hee
That's funny.

I didn't really see it as a search for a precise definition.
He LEADS ENTJ functions and FOLLOWS with INTP functions.
I thought that's what you said your father is doing.
I thought your father is an ENTJ. Isn't he?
Correct on both fronts. Interesting... I guess that could present a case for ENTJ but conversely it could be a case for using ENTJ as a front to deal with things. Hell I do sometimes. I think even then ENFP thing is a front...

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Correct on both fronts. Interesting... I guess that could present a case for ENTJ but conversely it could be a case for using ENTJ as a front to deal with things. Hell I do sometimes. I think even then ENFP thing is a front...
Yes, well, he tested ENTJ on both my favorite tests, including the one that you can't fool.

So I say he's just like your pop.