User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which type do you think I am? (Feel free to post why you think so as a reply)

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • INTP

0 0%
  • ENTP

0 0%
  • INFP

2 50.00%
  • ENFP

0 0%
  • INTJ

0 0%
  • ENTJ

0 0%
  • INFJ

0 0%
  • ENFJ

0 0%
  • ISTP

0 0%
  • ESTP

0 0%
  • ISFP

0 0%
  • ESFP

0 0%
  • ISTJ

0 0%
  • ESTJ

1 25.00%
  • ISFJ

0 0%
  • ESFJ

1 25.00%
First 12

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

From TenebrousReflection's link:
    Sometimes INFPs deny having ideals or principles since it's possible to equate a reliance on principles with dogmatism and inflexibility. Instead, they prefer to talk about feelings: not momentary emotional states but the personal values on which the feeling function operates.
    That really rang true for what I know of my INFP friend. On the surface, we are quite similar and get along wonderfully.

How we express our emotions is also really different. I *think* I am very emotionally expressive and am always honest as to how I feel about given things. However, after one incident in which I was emotionally overloaded and went into a complete emotional meltdown in front of a group of friends (crying and the works), one commented later that this was the first time she had seen me care/get worked up about something, which absolutely flummoxed me. What I had read as emotionally expressive (most through my words), was not emotionally demonstrative to others.

The INFPs I've known are subtlely emotionally demonstrative. My INFP friend can tend to withdraw when she is reevaluating... not that she would really 'fess up to any conclusions she's drawn.

Don't know if the rest will help, but: I have a lot of hubris in the ideals I hold up and implement, and am willing to draw the line in the sand- and usually am proven wrong with such silly rules/assessments such as "honesty is the best policy" or "everything can be meaninglessly delineated into a 'best answer' multiple choice question". My INFP friend doesn't really share her general ideals, but when someone doesn't measure up, she reacts very quickly. Some guy she goes out with on two dates, but he's not THAT guy (in her mind), he's out. But she's too nice to let him down too hard, and she often goes through more turmoil trying to figure out how not traumatize him than he does after the fact.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Also from what I have said about myself, how likely of a possibility is ENFP or ENTP?

I can be very social and assertive when I am with people who I am interested in and have a lot in common with, but I tend to quiet down and not show much interest in people otherwise.

Don't know if the rest will help, but: I have a lot of hubris in the ideals I hold up and implement, and am willing to draw the line in the sand- and usually am proven wrong with such silly rules/assessments such as "honesty is the best policy" or "everything can be meaninglessly delineated into a 'best answer' multiple choice question". My INFP friend doesn't really share her general ideals, but when someone doesn't measure up, she reacts very quickly. Some guy she goes out with on two dates, but he's not THAT guy (in her mind), he's out. But she's too nice to let him down too hard, and she often goes through more turmoil trying to figure out how not traumatize him than he does after the fact.
    Colors: Interesting that you say that, I dated someone (an ISFP) who acted similarly to your INFP friend.. definitely an Introverted Feeling thing.

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    Tenebrous Reflection: Interesting that you make that comment about the J/P dichotomy. I was thinking about it and for a while I thought I was a J till I went to college. I attend a college in which there are a lot of hardworking, ambitious people which brings many J types. I just never had that same ambition, that same desire to 'succeed' as others have. I am not the best at organizing things and at group meetings, I am more so the guy who will come up with many ideas but kind of sit back when people are working the logistics of the plan itself, which is something J's seem to love doing. Also I know a stereotype of J's is that they are more assertive than P's but that isn't always true. I have an INTP friend who has a very dominant personality, is witty and sarcastic and has high self esteem. He just isn't much of a planner and does things on the spur of the moment (I have also considered ISTP for him). One of my sister's best friends is an ISFJ who tends to be very indecisive and passive but strongly desires order in her life and is organized. So from experience, I understand that the J's aren't always the more assertive ones. I tend to procrastinate on everything and am good at improvising and speaking off the cuff.
    Here is a link to the post I was refering to

Another book I'd highly recomend is Personality Type: An Owners Manual by Lenore Thomson. Here is a a snippit from it which may provide a different way of looking at J/P

It should be remembered that J and P traits are most pronounced in our dealings with the outer world. When we're alone, doing exactly what we want to do, we may exhibit some traits that conflict with our P or J designation. For example, TJs may be highly task oriented in their career objectives, but somewhat indecisive in their personal lives. FPs may be highly flexible in social situations , but exacting in areas important to themselves. This outer/inner division is the normal state of affairs - for all types.

Extreme extraverts, therefore may find that their self-experience coincides almost entirely with their P or J traits. For extreme Introverts, the opposite is true. That is, high-scoring Introverts generally find that their self-experinece coincides strongly with many traits opposed to their P or J designation
    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    Also from what I have said about myself, how likely of a possibility is ENFP or ENTP?

I can be very social and assertive when I am with people who I am interested in and have a lot in common with, but I tend to quiet down and not show much interest in people otherwise.

Colors: Interesting that you say that, I dated someone (an ISFP) who acted similarly to your INFP friend.. definitely an Introverted Feeling thing.
    I used to think I/E was pretty straight forward until I heard the theory of looking at it from the point of view of what energizes you more. For example, I don't think I'm an E, but I do enjoy spending time with small groups (3 to 5) of friends doing things, but after a whole day of that, I do usually need an off day to balance it out. Unless I've had a lot of social activity tho, being alone does not give me any energy and being alone for too long can also take its toll on me. I think my expereince in that regard is still indicative of Introversion preference, and an Extravert would not need the alone time to re-energize after a day of that (maybe some extraverts could comment there for you to have a better perspective).

Another way to look at it if you are considering between xNxP types is if you think Ne could be your dominant process then that can make a good case for the possibility of being ENxP, but if you are fairly certain you use Ne as the role of helper (can still be a strong function in that role too, its just more focused toward generating ideas to serve the goals of the dominant function), then INxP is more likely.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I have done my research on Introverted Thinking and Introverted Feeling. I think that what I thought was Ti is actually Fi. I think it is logical to always have good and meaningful relationships. However, I realize that I always take a personal side for everything, it's just that thankfully I don't let it get to me and I can make a calm, objective decision when necessary and finally Extroversion just doesn't make sense for me intuitively.

So I have decided: INFP.