User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 20 of 20

  1. #11
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    On a side note, I remember in school just dreading assignments that asked us to be original and creative, such as creative writing. Being asked to be original or creative takes the fun out of it. I want to be original or creative because the inspiration hit me, not because some assignment demands it out of me. Otherwise its just a chore. It also made me uncomfortable because I have no way of knowing when the next creative inspiration will hit or how it will manifest itself. Will I even have a creative idea that's feasible in the confines of the assignment by the deadline? Sometimes, I just don't *want* to be creative- I'd rather do it the 'right' way. Although when the creative inspiration does hit, I definitely want to feel free to act on it.
    Not really on-topic, but I strongly identify with this. It's why I didn't choose to pursue art as a career, in fact.

    I do see my Ne presenting itself on the forum in the form of "it could be this" or "it could be that." Maybe its some other function instead of or in addition to Ne.
    That does sound like Ne although I see people of all types saying things like that. Everyone uses each function, blah blah.

    Curious why you think "withdrawn" isfp is a possibility. Especially considering how weak my Se is. Unless I have very poor access to my auxiliary function but I doubt is.
    I'm ignoring your functions in the quiz since they don't make sense, and going mostly on how you come across on the forum. It's hard to judge Se on the forum, and not all Se-aux types have "strong" Se necessarily. I don't. That would be my third choice after ISFJ and then INTP, though. I don't see Ni at all (not that I see it much in anyone).
    Thanks for the link. I haven't looked over the ISFJ one yet but I will later today and let you know what I think. I did look over the ISTP one and it does sound like one of the better ISTP descriptions out there. However, I laughed when it said they are "god" with their hands. Surely that must have been a typo.

    When you say the type descriptions are horrendous, do you mean mainly the ISFJ ones, or all the types in general?
    All the S ones, at nearly all sites. I haven't read the SJ ones much in detail but pretty much all teh SJs here have complained about them, and the SP ones are awful.

    They pretty much all assume that Ns are special snowflake geniuses and that S means we're incapable of using our minds ("thinking is abstract!!!!!!") and we are completely uninterested in anything that isn't done with our hands.

    The one I linked is one of the few who don't assume that for the SP description, so maybe it has good SJ descriptions too. It's from a college so I suspect they're aimed more at "intellectuals" of all types, and the descriptions tend to reflect that.

    I also found interaction styles very useful when I was trying to see if I was istp, intp, intj, even isfp.

    http://www.bestfittype.com/interactionstyles.html

    ISFJ and INTP are both behind the scenes interaction styles, so it wouldn't help you choose between them, but INFJ is chart the course, so you can see which seems more like you.
    -end of thread-

  2. #12
    ⒺⓉⒷ Eric B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    3,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    On a side note, I remember in school just dreading assignments that asked us to be original and creative, such as creative writing. Being asked to be original or creative takes the fun out of it. I want to be original or creative because the inspiration hit me, not because some assignment demands it out of me. Otherwise its just a chore. It also made me uncomfortable because I have no way of knowing when the next creative inspiration will hit or how it will manifest itself. Will I even have a creative idea that's feasible in the confines of the assignment by the deadline?
    That too is just like me.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

    Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

  3. #13
    Starcrossed Seafarer Aquarelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    3,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I know a few people have suggested it for my type. Thoughts?

    NOTE: I'm more detail oriented than most N's. I don't like having to pay attention to minute details all day but I've been told I'm good at it and painstakingly accurate. Maybe its just an overrcompensation for a natural weakness I have. Who knows?
    Me too. I'm detail-oriented at work and school when I'm conditioned to pay attention to details, but sometimes I don't notice the most obvious things if my mind doesn't register them as important (ie what someone is wearing, details in movie plots, the TV talking in the background... I never noticed how oblivious I can be sometimes, until I started living with a strong S).


    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I went and did the cognitive functions test yet again. Not too much different except the Ti dropped a bit. Results are not at all typical of INFJ. INFJ would be expected to have higher Ni and Fe scores. Ne and Si would likely be lower as well.
    I don't buy into the cognitive processes order thing. I don't get the typical INFJ order, either, when I take that test. Just like all INFJs are not enneagram type 4s (like I am), I don't think all INFJs will be Ni, Fe, Ti, Se, Ne, Fi, Fe, Si. I usually score highest on Fi, followed by Ni.

    I think it's possible you're an INFJ, from the bolded/italicized parts in the OP. A lot of the description seems to apply to you, and in my experience, that is the best way to determine type. And since only you know just how much the description matches your personality, you are really the only person who can decide if in fact you are INFJ (or any certain type).
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

    My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

  4. #14
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Fuck the tests. They are not helpful at all, and are more likely to confuse you than anything else. Also, I agree with Randomnity and cascadeco.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  5. #15
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I went and did the cognitive functions test yet again. Not too much different except the Ti dropped a bit. Results are not at all typical of INFJ. INFJ would be expected to have higher Ni and Fe scores. Ne and Si would likely be lower as well.

    Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
    extraverted Sensing (Se) *************** (15.4)
    unused
    introverted Sensing (Si) ************************************ (36.8)
    excellent use
    extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************* (43.5)
    excellent use
    introverted Intuiting (Ni) ***************************** (29)
    average use
    extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************************** (32.5)
    good use
    introverted Thinking (Ti) *************************** (27.4)
    average use
    extraverted Feeling (Fe) ****************** (18.3)
    limited use
    introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************* (37.5)
    excellent use


    Either I'm not INFJ or the Ni and Fe questions are not very good. Here are the Ni and Fe questions for your reference and how I answered them and what was going on in my mind.

    For the Ni questions:

    *Experience a premonition or foresee the distant future.
    I suppose "somewhat me." I do think about the future alot and like to imagine what the distant future will be like but I don't relate as well to experiencing premonitions.

    *Achieve a metamorphosis, definitive insight, or powerful vision of change.
    Mostly me. I don't always implement the visions I get in my head though.

    *Gain a profound realization from a mystical state or sudden release of emotions.
    Little me. I suppose the "mystical" part caused me not to relate to the statement well. I have on occasion gained profound realizations from sudden release of emotions. Maybe this isn't a good exmaple but I remember one time I was really disappointed that I got passed over for a job that I felt should have been mine. I was really upset about it but with that upset I also got the realization that "I've gotta do something!" I have to take the initiative more! I have to do more professional development to develop skills I'm not so strong in!

    *Engage life's magical moments and meaningful coincidences as they happen.
    Mostly me. Except I'm not sure this is an Ni question. Could also be Ne, but I counted it as Ni because there's 48 questions total so 6 for each function and I already had 6 listed under Ne.

    *Feel attracted to the symbolic, archetypal, or mysterious.
    Little me. Occasionally I have mild interest in this kind of thing but in the general sense I'm not all that interested.

    *Transform yourself by focusing inward on a specific way you need to be.
    Exactly me. Now this one I can definitely relate to. Except I think I kinda do this in an Fe sort of way. For example, there will be a social occasion or work situation coming up and I'll think ahead about how I'll need to behave and come across as in the situation and then implement the behavior.


    For the Fe questions:

    *Feel inclined to be responsible for and care for others feelings.
    Somewhat me. It's hard to answer this question because alot depends on the context I really prefer not to care for someone's feelings but if someone insists that I comfort them, I'll give it my best shot. As far as feeling responsible or not, that also depends. If a random stranger walks up to me and tells me how awful she's feeling, I know that I'm not responsible. On the other hand, if I say no to a request that's important to the other person and the other person is upset about it, I definitely feel at least somewhat responsible for their upset.

    *Compassionately take on someone else's needs as your own.
    Little me. This is not to say I don't care about peoples' needs. I do. But I also separate my needs from your needs. Just because you want X doesn't mean I also want X. Maybe I'm just taking this question too literally.

    *Recognize and usually adhere to shared values, feelings, and social norms to get along.
    Mostly me. This is the single Fe question I really feel like I can relate to. Unless the norms and values make absolutely no sense I'm inclined to follow them for the sake of getting along.

    *Help make people feel comfortable by engaging in hosting and care-taking.
    Not me. I want to mention that I do care about people around me feeling comfortable. I just do it by other means. I don't do hosting or care-taking but that could just be that I'm a strong introvert without alot of connection to others and therefore not alot of opportunity. However, I still prefer not to host or be the caretaker. I want people to be comfortable but prefer not to do the comforting. I don't feel confident in consoling other people.

    *Readily communicate personally to all members of a group to feel unity.
    Little me. Usually I find myself communicate to just one or two members, such as the group leader or whoever I happen to feel comfortable with. If I don't feel comfortable with someone, I avoid talking to that person if I can. I don't feel a need to communicate with *everyone* and often times my communication is more impersonal than it is personal.

    *Merge and feel intimate onenesss with other people.
    Little me. I rarely merge with other people and I rarely feel intimate oneness with anyone. Only people I feel really close to and comfortable with. I think some of this can be attributed to introversion and/or thinking (if I am a T).
    based on these scores, you look like an ENFP

  6. #16
    ⒺⓉⒷ Eric B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    3,438

    Default

    Here's iwakar's video, to compare. She seems like a typical INFJ.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkCuX...layer_embedded
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

    Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

  7. #17
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    They pretty much all assume that Ns are special snowflake geniuses and that S means we're incapable of using our minds ("thinking is abstract!!!!!!") and we are completely uninterested in anything that isn't done with our hands.
    I've always been more intellectually oriented and conceptually minded than "hands on." I don't enjoy the process of most hands on activities that others seem to derive pleasure from. I don't enjoy making arts and crafts, knitting, gardening, cooking, or woodworking. Not the physical process of these activities anyway. Only the end result. It doesn't necessarily mean I'm an N type but I'm guessing N types would be less inclined to enjoy "hands on" activities.

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    The one I linked is one of the few who don't assume that for the SP description, so maybe it has good SJ descriptions too. It's from a college so I suspect they're aimed more at "intellectuals" of all types, and the descriptions tend to reflect that.

    I also found interaction styles very useful when I was trying to see if I was istp, intp, intj, even isfp.

    http://www.bestfittype.com/interactionstyles.html

    ISFJ and INTP are both behind the scenes interaction styles, so it wouldn't help you choose between them, but INFJ is chart the course, so you can see which seems more like you.
    I looked up the ISFJ description from that site and it was only about half-fitting for me.

    What I relate to is working primarily behind the scenes, responsible, dutiful, neat, orderly, take obligations seriously, and hardworking.

    I don't think I'm as workaholic as the profile makes ISFJs to be. I don't think I'm the doormat the profile makes ISFJs to be either. I'm generally pretty quiet and nonassertive but when I perceive injustice has been done to me I can and will stand up to myself.

    I like serving and helping others on occasion but its not what I consider particularly enjoyable. I don't have the interest in serving others like that profile describes.

    I'm also not as tradition or ritual oriented either.

    I also reviewed the interaction styles and feel like a combination of Behind the Scenes and Chart the Course with Behind the Scenes as most like me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Here's iwakar's video, to compare. She seems like a typical INFJ.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkCuX...layer_embedded
    I don't quite vibe like her, I don't think. Even as an introvert, I thought she was fairly emotionally expressive, whereas I came across as more emotionally contained.

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I don't think you're getting anywhere with those definitions... try THESE instead:

    http://www.gesher.org/Myers-Briggs/Jung_8_types.html
    Some of the ways the those descriptions were worded were rather vague and abstract, so I'm not sure I interpreted it all correctly but I'll give it my best shot.

    I related best to Ti, Si, and Ni. On the functions test, I scored much higher on Ne than Ni but after reading these descriptions, I definitely fit Ni more than Ne. I also fit Ti more than Te, Si waaaaay more than Se. With Fe/Fi it's a closer call but I think I fit Fe slightly more than Fi. I still found parts of Fe that I wasn't quite sure were all that fitting though. I'm not sure my feelings are more extensive than deep. I don't necessarily accept the ideals of the collective without question. I don't express myself all that easily- it takes awhile before I feel comfortable doing thiat. I don't think I give the effect of insincerity and pose. I've had people say that I come across as genuine.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  8. #18
    ⒺⓉⒷ Eric B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    3,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I don't quite vibe like her, I don't think. Even as an introvert, I thought she was fairly emotionally expressive, whereas I came across as more emotionally contained.
    Exactly! Yet you still manage to have a bit more of a "light and airy" vibe.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

    Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

  9. #19
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    It's not going to be much more helpful to compare yourself to someone else whose type you can't be sure of.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  10. #20
    ⒺⓉⒷ Eric B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    3,438

    Default

    Since we were discussing "vibes", I just used that as an example of what I was saying. Of course, none of this is ever 100% definite.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

    Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-29-2013, 08:58 PM
  2. [INFJ] I don't like being an INFJ right now (rant,vent ,whine)
    By iNtrovert in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-02-2013, 02:08 AM
  3. [INFJ] Being an INFJ, I must have the family from hell?
    By John101 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 08:34 PM
  4. Confusion about being an INFJ or ENFJ
    By InTheFlesh in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-26-2010, 02:24 PM
  5. Is it possible to be an INFJ with INTP tendencies?
    By aic in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-05-2008, 12:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO