User Tag List

First 6789 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

N's are more influenced by the mother, S's are more influenced by the father.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTP

"highly sensitive persons" doesn't usually refer to emotional sensitivity or getting your feelings hurt easily. It's more like not being able to stand loud noises, bright lights, lots of activity, etc.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    "highly sensitive persons" doesn't usually refer to emotional sensitivity or getting your feelings hurt easily. It's more like not being able to stand loud noises, bright lights, lots of activity, etc.
    The descriptions list a lot of sensory stuff like that, but they also list characteristics of emotional sensitivity. Things like: being easily affected by others' moods, responding emotionally to art or music or literature, having a "rich inner life", being considered shy or oversensitive as a child.

I'm not convinced getting your feelings hurt easily has much to do with either type or biological "high sensitivity". I think it has more to do with your own insecurities and the meaning you assign to others' words or behaviour. It's likely that certain types will assign more importance to certain things, so the situations and reasons that cause someone to feel hurt/upset might give you clues about type.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    What's all this? I don't think so, bro.

My ISTJ grandfather was my most consistent parent.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post

Good explanation. This is a good description of how Si manifests in myself.
    Thank you. I have a lot of Si, to the point of questioning if I was INFP because I even use a lot of sensory memory detail in my creative writing (the tert is supposed to be a creative or relief function, and I am also relieved by cooking which is why I used the cooking example and like to listen to my old favorite songs over and over again, which apparently is a hallmark of Si...having a deep emotional attachment to certain music, only liking it more and finding new things about it with repetition, instead of constantly demanding to hear something "new"...though I like new music, too, of course).

But I have so many ENFP traits aside from my Si strength that I dunno.

I've also been around a lot of SJs, ones I've strongly cared about so it's been important for me to understand Si because the stereotypes are so fucking lame and untrue.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    The descriptions list a lot of sensory stuff like that, but they also list characteristics of emotional sensitivity. Things like: being easily affected by others' moods, responding emotionally to art or music or literature, having a "rich inner life", being considered shy or oversensitive as a child.
    Yes, it basically means being easily overwhelmed by external stimuli, some of which may be sensory, but other stuff maybe intangible, emotional aspects. The overwhelmed feeling seems like it is mostly emotional & instinctive, but there seems some tie to cognitive preference also.

Many introverts will relate to aspects of being highly sensitive (for obvious reasons), but especially INxx types. Of extroverts, ENPs seem most likely to be HSPs, likely because they're N-dom and sensory stuff is not their preference for mental stimulation.

I'm not convinced getting your feelings hurt easily has much to do with either type or biological "high sensitivity". I think it has more to do with your own insecurities and the meaning you assign to others' words or behaviour. It's likely that certain types will assign more importance to certain things, so the situations and reasons that cause someone to feel hurt/upset might give you clues about type.
    I think this is true also.... I used to think I was very sensitive, but then being withdrawn, I did not socialize with a lot of people & had few to compare myself to. One summer, I socialized with this group and noticed that most of the women were waaaay more sensitive than I was to joke insults and easily got their feelings hurt from generally insensitive comments. I realized that my sensitivity is just to unexpected things - I will feel hurt or be affected by something others do not, yet, I'll let things roll off my back that others do not. So I'd still say I am sensitive, but not any more so than others, just in a different way.

Personally, INTPs seem hyper-sensitive to what they likely see as logical inconsistencies, and they appear to get emotional about it (what they'll call "frustration", but since when is frustration not an emotion?). They seem to get agitated easily over things others might deem minor, but they're otherwise calm & usually see themselves that way.

/tangent
    -----

In regards to the OP, this is terribly simple, but I'm still going to say it:
    When people consider two types that share two letters, it seems so common that the reality is that they are the type between the two (ie. I relate to both INTP & ISFP, but that's because I am INFP & the Ne & Fi from each respective type are familiar). So if you feel caught between INTP & ISFJ, then INFJ seems a possibility. I know you're considering it from the standpoint of cognitive processes, but sometimes two processes seem to mimic another when it comes to behavior. A lot of what you mention you relate to in ISFJs seems more like Fe than Si to me also....
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    The strong Si traits would be from the tertiary. The tertiary often "inflates" itself and becomes strong. And since Si is a "J" (Je/Pi) function, it might increase J traits. Like I identified to some extent with the "need for closure" on one of the tests (Keirsey?) and this would be connected with tertiary Si, but otherwise, I'm typical P in not demanding as much of the closure J's usually want.

Also, having more sensitivity than other INTP's would seem to be from you being Supine rather than Phlegmatic (which is what the typical INTP profile is based on). That temperament is a lot more sensitive than the Phlegmatic, which is usually indifferent and can take people or leave them. I had explained all of this before.
    Sensitivity is not necessarily F. Like we're discussing over on PerC in one or two threads about extraversion and functions, temperament (Including Interaction Style) also shapes some of these behaviors, apart from functions.

And personal experience affects these things as well.
    I agree with all this.

About emotional sensitivity, I don't think it's all that unusual. I recall a thread on INTP central about 'Highly Sensitive Persons' and there were actually quite a few INTPs who identified with these traits. That's one reason my post in this thread specifically listed things that were "anti-stereotypical" rather than "atypical". I think quite a few traits that run counter to stereotype actually aren't as unusual as people think, and that goes for other types as well. Based purely on my own observations, it seems Fs tend to be on the sensitive side, but Ts can really be all over the place.
    Thanks for the insight. I am an HSP and come to think of it I know of some other INTPs who would also fit that description.

Anyway, do you relate all that strongly to either of the Feeling functions? Do you read other poster's descriptions about what really bothers Fe users, or what's important to an Fi user, and think, "Yes! That's me"? That's what makes an F, not emotional sensitivity. Although the kind of things you're sensitive to, and why, can sometimes give you a clue.
    Occasionally I do. I should read more of the posts in the NF forum to see how well they resonate with me. I remember relating to what some of the INFJs said regarding their Fe use a while back.

I'm particularly sensitive to having my competency and intelligence insulted, which may be more an NT thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    How? Why ?

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Thank you. I have a lot of Si, to the point of questioning if I was INFP because I even use a lot of sensory memory detail in my creative writing (the tert is supposed to be a creative or relief function, and I am also relieved by cooking which is why I used the cooking example and like to listen to my old favorite songs over and over again, which apparently is a hallmark of Si...having a deep emotional attachment to certain music, only liking it more and finding new things about it with repetition, instead of constantly demanding to hear something "new"...though I like new music, too, of course).

But I have so many ENFP traits aside from my Si strength that I dunno.

I've also been around a lot of SJs, ones I've strongly cared about so it's been important for me to understand Si because the stereotypes are so fucking lame and untrue.
    I also have songs I like to listen to over and over again. I don't get tired of it because each time I listen to it feels new somehow. There's new sorts of impressions to get. I also like new music too.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    In regards to the OP, this is terribly simple, but I'm still going to say it:
    When people consider two types that share two letters, it seems so common that the reality is that they are the type between the two (ie. I relate to both INTP & ISFP, but that's because I am INFP & the Ne & Fi from each respective type are familiar). So if you feel caught between INTP & ISFJ, then INFJ seems a possibility. I know you're considering it from the standpoint of cognitive processes, but sometimes two processes seem to mimic another when it comes to behavior. A lot of what you mention you relate to in ISFJs seems more like Fe than Si to me also....
    I have considered INFJ and I know a couple of people who have suggested it for my type. Maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on cognitive functions, but I look at the INFJ profile, I just don't relate that much to dominant Ni. I consider myself an Ne user not an Ni user. I do relate somewhat to the auxiliary Fe/tertiary Ti part.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Thanks for the insight. I am an HSP and come to think of it I know of some other INTPs who would also fit that description.
    Never heard of that as a psychological category. Sounds sort of like aspects of AS in some respects.
    I also have songs I like to listen to over and over again. I don't get tired of it because each time I listen to it feels new somehow. There's new sorts of impressions to get. I also like new music too.
    Me too. I used to spend my days off listening to a few playlists on the computer or Napster. Last winter, when the holiday music began playing on Music Choice, and I found I could now play it on the PC instead of just cable, then I began listening to that, and after the holidays, I just keep it on mostly the Classic R&B channel, which is a bigger selection, but still the same stuff over and over.
    I have considered INFJ and I know a couple of people who have suggested it for my type. Maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on cognitive functions, but I look at the INFJ profile, I just don't relate that much to dominant Ni. I consider myself an Ne user not an Ni user. I do relate somewhat to the auxiliary Fe/tertiary Ti part.
    A lot of INTP's with T/F uncertainty get confused with INFJ. It's when you're sure you're N, but not completely sure about T/F. A lot of them do get strong Ni on the cognitive tests, so it seems they could go either way. My Ni is weak, so I never had that problem. ISFJ would then be closer, cognitively, but then you're dealing with S/N, and I know I'm definitely N, and you seem so too. (INFJ is also directive).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    A lot of INTP's with T/F uncertainty get confused with INFJ. It's when you're sure you're N, but not completely sure about T/F. A lot of them do get strong Ni on the cognitive tests, so it seems they could go either way. My Ni is weak, so I never had that problem. ISFJ would then be closer, cognitively, but then you're dealing with S/N, and I know I'm definitely N, and you seem so too. (INFJ is also directive).
    I typically score 70-90% N on tests. Yet I still have reasons for doubting N as I listed earlier in this thread. Some of the S/N questions aren't that good and if you happen to be a highly intelligent, introspective individual, you might find yourself choosing the N option whether or not you're actually N.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

You have SiTi as your type, and if Si is higher than Ti then I'm going to have to say ISFJ. And, like Peacebaby, I also get the 9 vibe. Ever since your thread on your mom and not being able to cut her off.