User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Have you considered ENTP? ENTPs, due to higher Fe, will generally care more about social acceptance than the average INTP. Your high-level Ne would seem to point to that as a possibility. ENTPs aren't exactly the most extraverted of extraverts, so if you think you're an introvert, you could still be an E-type.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

I think it's more likely to an INFP to act like an ISFJ. I know an INFP friend of mine who sometimes seems very ISFJ-ish. But INTP's... I'm skeptical of this.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

hypothetically

if that makes sense

^ That is the best. thing. ever.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

SuchIrony is a line segment? That might explain the trickiness...

Also, I am all about rote memorization... it's the best way to slam the facts into my head so I can then play around with them like mad.

So, S or N? Or maybe S^N or something...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

^

but no she's a star!! (cue dreamy voice) in my world, we're all stars...

one of my INTPs is also a master at rote memorization.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I really *don't* want to be an ISFJ. I'd much rather be an INTP.
    I think a lot of people feel that way -- not necessarily about ISFJ/INTP in particular, but about their type, whatever it might be. Most people, even those who subscribe to the Jungian school, discovered Keirsey first, and he describes iNtuition so positively that it biases many people against S. In other cases, type is simply part of our identity, something we become attached to. I consistently test as INTJ, and it took me a while to come to terms with being a different type.

The fundamental thing to remember is that your type doesn't determine you -- it's the other way around -- you determine your type. Whether you're INTP, ISFJ, INFP, ESTP, whatever, it doesn't change who you are. Being an ISFJ doesn't make you any more responsible, or less interesting, or kinder, or anything else. It's just a label, a simplification -- interesting but neither determinative nor transformative.

My favourite type descriptions are the ones by Marina Margaret Heiss at typelogic. Does this resonate with you at all? It describes my ISFJ mother very well. Keep in mind that no description will be perfect. It seems like you're waiting for a lightning bolt, a catharsis, and that's probably not going to happen. You're not going to get 2+2=4. This is more x+y =~INTP.
    i just want to be a sweetheart

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

yeah. for me it was a very slow, gradual realization, and only days after i had "agreed" to being ENFP (thanks to the typoc members who called me out on it... i think kasper was first, lol) and was reading some random bit of info, did it click that this was a very good match, better than any others.

suchirony, your type indecision is actually one of the things that makes me biased towards P types, especially with Ne. not because you're indecisive - though that does play in - but because of the way you're going about resolving your indecision. you're gathering more and more external information, which is very typical of extraverted Perceiving. it's my own pet brand of analysis paralysis... lol...

that is not to say that i don't think you couldn't be an ISFJ, however. i only know one person who is a definite ISFJ and she is very different in demeanor from you - probably an enneagram 2w1 - so i don't have much real-life basis for comparison.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    No, the two in that post would both be the INP part (Behind the Scenes).
    NT would be this:
    http://www.pastoral-counseling-cente...ic-control.htm

There's even stuff in Keirsey's books that strikingly match some of the traits.
    It's less pronounced for the INTP (since the Interaction Style is totally opposite), but more typical in the ENTJ (purest Choleric), ENTP (Sanguine-Choleric) and INTJ (Melancholy-Choleric)
    For fun, I'll see how I fit the phlegmatic:

Bolded- fits very well
    Italics- somewhat fits

General description of people who are Phlegmatic in Inclusion:
    1.Extrovert/introvert - relates well to tasks, systems and ideas and also relates well to people and is able to socialize when the need arises.
    2.Best suited for tasks which require precision and accuracy.
    3.Very tough-minded -- when his/her mind is made up, it is hard to change it.
    4.Tries to inspire others to do something about injustices because he/she lacks the energy to do it.
    --> Doesn't fit at all. When there is injustice I am compelled to do something about it, not just wait around hoping someone else does.

5.Self-motivated -- will make changes or move from the present state only when his mind commands.

6.Slow-paced -- prefers working at a slow, steady pace -- loses momentum as the day progresses.

Potential strengths which should be encouraged, used and developed:
    1.Able to function in an unfriendly and even hostile social environment.
    --> Not at all true. I require a friendly, peaceful environment to function properly.

2.Has a dry sense of humor that can be very witty.

3.Very good mind for seeing injustice.

Potential weaknesses which should be considered and dealt with:
    1.Has a dry sense of humor which can be irritating to others

2.Tires very easily because he/she has a low reserve of energy -- expends little energy becoming involved in life -- a "spectator" or "observer" of life

Overall, supine fits better than phlegmatic, so I'm a somewhat atypical INTP if I'm INTP at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    1) All this time I thought SuchIrony was a guy. (not that that makes any difference)
    I've had several people on the forum mistakenly think I was a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Well, I don't know where you are in your life, but I think you are probably an INTP, who has just reached the lifestage where Si-Fe becomes closer to consciousness. Your dominant function is the function you first developed as the framework to deal with the world. When you begin to see the limitations of that function and need to develop further coping skills, you develop your auxiliary as a primary support function, and then comes the tertiary and the inferior. Marie-Lousie von Franz says that as you progress in developing the next function and advancing towards individuation, you may "become" a different type for as much as 6 or 7 years. That's not to say your type is actually different, it's just that your "centre of gravity shifts away from the ego".
    If you read my response to the "what were you like as a child?" thread, I think my self-description description comes closer to INTP than ISFJ. Other possibility is INxJ. Maybe I'm just a really balanced INTP.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    Interesting thread we have here!

I'm actually the same way. I sometimes wonder if this is because I'm Gen-Y or maybe I just have a weaker J than some other SFJs (which is actually why I lower cased the J in my description)
    Glad you find it interesting. If I'm a J, I don't think its a strong J either.

I can learn by listening or by reading a book (it's how I got through real estate school, after all) but I have to say I learn BEST by doing. It's why I think I'm a fast learner on the dance floor (or so I've been told by more than one instructor )
    I'm a terrible dancer. It takes me longer to get the sequence of steps and the rhythm down. I end up just getting discouraged when someone shows me a dance sequence. Not sure how type related it is but I could see intuitives having a more difficult time at it.

I don't know how much this fits into this description, but I tend to design the layout of my living spaces based on utility more than looks, and when I do tend to the aesthetic appeal of my living areas, it's usually to make sure everything is in symmetry (any paintings on the walls are all exactly the same distance from the ceiling, etc..)
    I'm more about utility as well. Aestetics are more a plus than a necessity. I also prefer symmetry to asymmetry in general.

I can be the same way, but only when I don't know the person very well or if I'm feeling very insecure about myself at the time. I've been told I can be something of a mind reader when it comes to the people I know. That's only because I've been around them long enough to learn their patterns, how they feel about things, how they express themselves, etc.. that I've learned how to read them.
    I haven't had anyone call me a mind reader but if its someone I know well, I too can predict patterns and how they will likely react in different situations.

This is definately one of my faults that I've been working on the hardest these past two years. As a rental property manager I come into contact with conflict a lot and I've had to learn to stand up for myself a lot of the times. I still have a serious problem with conflict and will often go out of my way to make sure something is done just to prevent any further problems....but I have come a long ways. I've stood up to angry owners and tenants, even yelled at a couple of them (Now they won't talk to me anymore! )

Still...I just wish everyone could get a long
    I'm glad I don't have your job. I couldn't handle dealing with angry people. And yes, I just wish everyone could get along. Conflict is a major stressor.

I actually spend a great deal of my time by myself tending to my own needs (though not always by choice) and living my own life. I work two jobs and when I'm not working I'm goofing off alone in my apartment or out dancing and I hang out with friends when I'm invited.

Truthfully it's not a group of people I'd like to dot on...it's one or two. More than that, and I start to get reeeeeeeeeeally burnt out. but I like dotting on friends or family that mean a lot to me. I don't know it's that's because I'm an ISFJ or because I'm a Type 2 but I have a very strong need to want to give to the people I care about, to felt as useful or needed to them.
    Okay, I realize the statement I made about ISFJs just serving others and not having a life of their own was awfully stereotypical sounding. I guess compared to other types, they are likely to be more prone to putting others' needs ahead of their own when the situation calls for it. I also have a strong need to feel useful or needed by the important people in my life.

I do follow a lot of rules and such but that's because it makes things easy for me. Also, if it's of any consolation, one of my deeper insecurities (not my greatest but certainly one of them) is being boring. It's something that worries me terribly when I'm out with friends.
    Same here. Rules can make things easier and more efficient and prevent things from going wrong. It's also a relief to know I'm not the only one who has insecurities around being boring.

However, I did have an experience sometime ago with an ENFJ male friend of mine. I was remarking to him about how it is a lot of my friends laugh and joke and carry on with each other but when they're with me...it's like they get all serious and stuff and that really bothered me. It made me feel like not only that I wasn't included, but that the REASON I wasn't included was because I was perceived as being "stiff" or "boring".

My friend responded to me that the reason they do that is probably because I'm one of the few people they feel they can be that way around. He explained to me that he found me extremely easy to talk too as I gave off this very cool, calm aura that seemed to calm people. He told me that was why he always confided in my about problems with his (now ex) wife, because he felt so at ease around me.

A very tall compliment for me, and it helped...but I still worry that I'm boring sometimes
    I don't think you're boring.

They may be written that way. I'm getting the impression from you though that you have low self-esteem. At the risk of sounding very typically ISFJ: Sweetie, you are a remarkable and amazing person in your own right. Four letters do not define you. MBTI (insofar as I understand it anyways) is intended to help you learn about yourself so that you can recognize your strengths and your weaknesses and then work on them. That's all.

At the end of the day though, you are still you. You are unique, interesting, valuable person. You always have been, and you always will be
    Lately I've been battling low self-esteem. Actually, I've never been one of those with high self-esteem but I've had more self-esteem issues in the last year or so. Parental upbringing is also somewhat to blame but I'll spare you the details here.

I dunno, it's like I have to somehow "prove" my interestingness or value. It sounds enneagram 3 like, yet I lack the chameleon-like quality of 3s to keep changing my image with every situation I'm in.

Count me among one of those Sure I wish I had the smooth-talking skills of an ESTP, the drive and force of character of an ENTJ, or the boundless empathy and feeling of an NF. But I am happy with who I am, as I know that me and people like me are very important just as we are to some

I want to stand out too. I mentioned my insecurities earlier in this post. Know what my greatest fear is? Being unwanted, unloved, and considered useless. I want people to recognize my strengths and what I have to offer someone. So I work hard, I try and support my friends as best I can and I hope they never realize just how devastated I would be if they all abandoned me tomorrow.
    I have the same greatest fear that you have. I'm thinking the need to feel useful and have others recognize your strengths is likely universal.

Ne is one of those things I'm not very familiar with so I can't really comment on this one. Sorry
    That's where we differ and one of the reasons why I'm reluctant to put on the ISFJ 'label'.

Quote Originally Posted by amazingdatagirl View Post
    Memorization ability is a dead give away for ISxJ - INTPs have more of a Ne quality to their memory. They can recall facts that relate to some topic of interest but rote memorization is torture.

Why are so many participants on this thread skeptical that ambiguity could exist between INTP and ISFJ ?

INTP
    Ti - Ne - Si - Fe

ISFJ
    Si - Fe - Ti - Ne

They have the same dominant and tertiary functions (reversed order). Depending on one's personal circumstances, a INTP with highly developed Si and repressed Ne would appear very ISFJ-ish. OTOH, an intelligent ISFJ with a decent level of emotional detachment could come across as INTP.
    I memorize the things best that I'm interested in or that are logically connected somehow. However, I can memorize seemingly 'arbitrary' facts. It's hard to say how good I am at it. I suspect I'm worse than most dominant Si types and better than most N's.

Quote Originally Posted by amazingdatagirl View Post
    SuchIrony - Why not consider INFP?

Awareness of inner emotional state

Need to conserve emotional energy

Would an INTP ever get angsty over the quality of her friendships?

Disregard the hippy flower child, doormat profiles for INFPs.
    I have considered INFP in the past but have since figured it highly unlikely. The vast majority seems to think I'm an Fe user and I'm inclined to agree. I think I'm more Ti/Fe than Fi/Te but I could be wrong here.

I'm sure INTPs could get angsty over the quality of their friendships if they were acting out of inferior Fe.

I do agree with the awareness of inner emotional state and need to conserve emotinal energy aspects of INFP.

And I know that not all INFPs are hippy, flower childs or doormats. However the latter stereotype is a large reason why I don't want to be INFP. That and INFPs being depressed misfits who daydream all the time and don't accomplish much in the real world. I know its just a stereotype but I still don't like being associated with a negative stereotype.

But that aside there are lots of wonderful things about INFPs- their depth of feeling, their compassion, their imagination for example.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I know, right?! I know a bunch of INTPs here act just like ISFJs!

*holds in laughter*

I tease, I tease.

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    Have you considered ENTP? ENTPs, due to higher Fe, will generally care more about social acceptance than the average INTP. Your high-level Ne would seem to point to that as a possibility. ENTPs aren't exactly the most extraverted of extraverts, so if you think you're an introvert, you could still be an E-type.
    I have considered ENTP in the past- largely due to caring more about social acceptance and being an 'introverted' extravert. I really don't think ENTP is likely though. ENTPs have inferior Si and I feel like my Si is too strong to be inferior. I feel like I have more stick-to-it-ive-ness and care more about finishing what I start. ENTPs seem more likely to openly break the rules. I don't. I'm generally compliant and think most rules are there for a good reason. I do hate rules that don't make sense but I'm more likely to quietly not comply. ENTPs seem openly wacky and zany and just alot more "out there" than I am. ENTPs seem to effortlessly think outside the box and generate all these creative ideas. Well, I value thinking out of the box and creative thinking highly but I don't see most of my ideas as particularly out of the box or original.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    hypothetically

if that makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    SuchIrony is a line segment? That might explain the trickiness...
    Well now that Freeeeky has suggested ENTP and someone voted ESFJ on the poll, maybe there's a slight inkling of a chance I'm an extravert. So XXXX. So that reduces me now from a line to a mere point.

In summary:

All 4 letters known: Space-time continuum
    3 letters known: 3-D space
    2 letters known: a plane
    1 letter known: a line
    0 letters known: a point

^

but no she's a star!! (cue dreamy voice) in my world, we're all stars...

Quote Originally Posted by burymecloser View Post
    I think a lot of people feel that way -- not necessarily about ISFJ/INTP in particular, but about their type, whatever it might be. Most people, even those who subscribe to the Jungian school, discovered Keirsey first, and he describes iNtuition so positively that it biases many people against S. In other cases, type is simply part of our identity, something we become attached to. I consistently test as INTJ, and it took me a while to come to terms with being a different type.
    Actually I find some of those SP descriptions kind of cool. Like ISFP is the artist and ISTP is the daredevil mechanic type. ESFP is the entertainer. Stereotypical, almost cariacture like but cool. Its the SJ ones I take issue with. Yeah, they should be rewritten. Kiersey was an INTP, I believe. Maybe we should have type descriptions written by people who are actually that type.

I admit to being biased myself towards N but its probably just the way the descriptions are written. For example: N's have the all the great ideas. S's are just by the book.

Quote Originally Posted by burymecloser View Post

My favourite type descriptions are the ones by Marina Margaret Heiss at typelogic. Does this resonate with you at all? It describes my ISFJ mother very well. Keep in mind that no description will be perfect. It seems like you're waiting for a lightning bolt, a catharsis, and that's probably not going to happen. You're not going to get 2+2=4. This is more x+y =~INTP.
    Thanks for the link. I'll look it over and let you know how much it resonates with me.

suchirony, your type indecision is actually one of the things that makes me biased towards P types, especially with Ne. not because you're indecisive - though that does play in - but because of the way you're going about resolving your indecision. you're gathering more and more external information, which is very typical of extraverted Perceiving. it's my own pet brand of analysis paralysis... lol...

that is not to say that i don't think you couldn't be an ISFJ, however. i only know one person who is a definite ISFJ and she is very different in demeanor from you - probably an enneagram 2w1 - so i don't have much real-life basis for comparison.
    My indecision is a large argument against me being J. The majority of J types I've seen tend to declare a type and stick to it. Ps tend to hop around more. If someone is undecided between J and P, from my experience they usually end up categorized as a P type. There are exceptions though.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne